• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

hhahaa what

I love the vita but steam destroys it, and with all the Vita ports it's getting it's just going to get worse

Nah, can't beat that gorgeous OLED screen, and I also found some of the touch functionality in DR pretty useful. Especially tapping the rear touchpad to clear the white lines, which completely removes all challenge.

FluxWaveZ

Even if the new game is completely unrelated to the next game, I expected them to port them to PS4. I suppose that if they do such a port, a PC one may be natural concerning they both are x86 architectures. So probably a PS4 one will be coming at the same time.

It will be great for exposure, though.

I'm not too sure there's going to be a PS4 port for DR1/DR2 before V3. That would have been an easy thing to announce at one of the two recent DR streams, but they didn't.

Copied from the spoiler thread for AE that has been abandoned: Overall I loved the game and my two complaints would have to be the laser towa section being a major drag and the fact that the girls were so unwilling to kill children.
Obviously not the brainwashed ones, and Nagisa seemed reasonable
, but they caused so much death and we're obviously loony. I mean,
kill Monaca when shes under the rubble for fucks sake.
It reminds me of how Batman won't kill the Joker despite the fact that fucker is always going to escape and kill people.

Also im a little bit sad that
Shirokuma turned out evil, I loved that dude (as well as Kirokuma, hilarious). I'm still not certain about the implication of the shiro reveal because I couldn't pay attention to the final cutscenes, need to look them up again on YouTube.

I did appreciate the Toko and Komaru relationship, although I feel like we could have used a little less banter between the two of them at times. Also by the end I was so hooked on the story and tired of playing nonstop that I had to just power my way through the puzzles instead of doing them correctly. Sorry Master.

Finally at chapter 6 of DR2, ready to have my mind blown a little more.

I think you will at least get a little more of your mind blown.

Spoiler seems abandoned so here's my impressions (posted them somewhere else as well):
Overall I'd only call it decent, there were a few great moments but especially the first two chapters are quite a slog. Gameplay's repetitive but fun and the plot isn't all that great except for some "OH SHIEEETT" fanservice moments. There were parts that were bland DESPITE New World Order, which goes to show how badly the game fucks up at times. Really liked the boss battles as well. The story, setting etc. is definitely the darkest in Danganronpa so far, which is a welcome change (there were some really fucked up parts). Battles were too repetitive and the graphics fluctuated between fucking atrocious (skyboxes, backgrounds, etc) and really stylish (the art style is a somehow successful conversion of the first two DR games' environmental art style, sprites are classic Danganronpa goodness and the CGs are good overall).

There's a bit too much of "I am 12 and this is deep and heartwarming" dialogue. Stuff like "Friends help each other, right?" really took me out of the protagonists' character arc. Except for a couple characters, there weren't any good new inclusions and what felt like it was supposed to be a temporary plot point was dragged out to the whole of the game. The best points of the game were those that tied to the previous games. One thing that annoyed me was that there's an overwhelming focus on DR1 characters compared to only a couple returning from DR2. Give us more DR2 fanservice, dammit!

Overall, not recommended for over $20, unless you need to play it in preparartion of DR3 (the anime) or NDRV3 (the game)- even then, wait for a sale.

As for some spoilery stuff:

Really liked the moments we saw Izuru and Naegi (at the end of CH3). I loved how the secret lab, Towa Tower and the colorful street looked but especially the first two chapters looked like shit. Loved the boss battles of CH3 and CH5 (both in the latter). I was spoiled on Kotoko's past but holy fucking shit man. O_O

Masaru and Jotaro were huge annoyances, though I didn't really like anyone except Kurokuma, Hirogo and Nagisa.

The soundtrack used a few too many DR1 tracks and the DR2 tracks didn't really fit. Main theme (or was it Discussion-HEAT UP-?) in the final battle was sweet. I hear the "Absolute Despair Girl" track is really good but since the ingame BGM menu still isn't patched IDK which track it is. New tracks were pretty good overall.

Komaeda was fucking great especially during the shrine confrontation.

The ghost thing in CH5 was the silliest stuff I've seen in a game in a long time, it just didn't fit.

Really liked the boss battles as well. The story, setting etc. is definitely the darkest in Danganronpa so far, which is a welcome change (there were some really fucked up parts). Battles were too repetitive and the graphics fluctuated between fucking atrocious (skyboxes, backgrounds, etc) and really stylish (the art style is a somehow successful conversion of the first two DR games' environmental art style, sprites are classic Danganronpa goodness and the CGs are good overall).

Left in everything I agreed with in this chunk, except for the graphics. They were mostly good to me, with the exception of the CG cutscenes. I thought those were often really lame and sometimes unnecessary. The actual character models walking around and talking in-game were really nice imo and I would have preferred them instead, and of course when we got anime cutscenes they are always a treat. There are like 5 or 6 different presentation styles in this game which is crazy.

There's a bit too much of "I am 12 and this is deep and heartwarming" dialogue. Stuff like "Friends help each other, right?" really took me out of the protagonists' character arc.

Totally agree. Too cheesy at times.

One thing that annoyed me was that there's an overwhelming focus on DR1 characters compared to only a couple returning from DR2. Give us more DR2 fanservice, dammit!

I think it makes sense story wise for not that many of the characters to be present, but I'm with you about preferring DR2 characters.

Really liked the moments we saw Izuru and Naegi (at the end of CH3). I loved how the secret lab, Towa Tower and the colorful street looked but especially the first two chapters looked like shit. Loved the boss battles of CH3 and CH5 (both in the latter). I was spoiled on Kotoko's past but holy fucking shit man. O_O

Masaru and Jotaro were huge annoyances, though I didn't really like anyone except Kurokuma, Hirogo and Nagisa.

Komaeda was fucking great especially during the shrine confrontation.

The ghost thing in CH5 was the silliest stuff I've seen in a game in a long time, it just didn't fit.

Also agreed with the quoted spoilers here. Masaru was alright, but Jotaru was a little fucker. And of course I despised Monaca as intended.
What was going on with Masaru's arm?

Also agreed with the quoted spoilers here. Masaru was alright, but Jotaru was a little fucker. And of course I despised Monaca as intended.
What was going on with Masaru's arm?

from the wiki:
Due to his history of physical abuse by his father, Masaru's reaction to seeing his left arm trembling in fear was to try to beat the everliving shit out of it.

Also I'm really impressed how they salvaged Toko compared to the first game. I still don't like her as much as many people did, but damn isn't she an improvement over the first game.

Epilogue spoilers:
What the fuck was IZURU doing in Towa and why'd he destroy Kurokuma and Shirokuma?!

Epilogue spoilers:
What the fuck was IZURU doing in Towa and why'd he destroy Kurokuma and Shirokuma?!

Shirokuma and Kurokuma were both Junko AIs. He broke them in order to take the AI off to the island for the events of Danganronpa 2. Hence why Junko says "I'll leave the rest in your hands" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact line) before he does that.

Shirokuma and Kurokuma were both Junko AIs. He broke them in order to take the AI off to the island for the events of Danganronpa 2. Hence why Junko says "I'll leave the rest in your hands" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact line) before he does that.

Thanks!

Sweet!

By the way, I recall some LNs that were about the daily lives of a few SDR2 characters. What happened to those?

If I'm not mistaken, it was already translated by the same person that is currently doing the Togami and Kirigiri books. I don't have any links at hand, but I suppose it would be easy to find. I believe none of the books (except for Zero and probably Ultra Despair Hagakure) was written by Kodaka, so I don't know if they tend to be more in line to his writing or lean more to the IF writer style.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guess we might as well talk about the fact DR1 is coming to Steam next month. Now I wonder when DR2 will come out & if Another Episode will get ported as well.

Sölf

So I stumbled across what looks like some sort of Korean Danganronpa fangame that looks somewhat interesting lol. I can't seem to find anything else about it aside from a few other playthroughs of it, anyone else seen much of this before?

Looking at it, they actually seem to be pretty faithful with the mechanics, as far as RPG-Maker goes (probablly 2003, could also be 2000 though). There also seems to be a second korean game, made with either RPG-Maker VX or VX Ace. Looks much better, the first execution is hilarious. xD
But yeah, no english version again. :(

Man, I now want to play them. D:

SerTapTap

Not looking forward to the inevitable wave of people who will gloat about pirating the game now, but cool that more people will have access to it at least.

Weird, NISA does Steam now too. But I'm not going to complain about more self publishing.

Also I'm really impressed how they salvaged Toko compared to the first game. I still don't like her as much as many people did, but damn isn't she an improvement over the first game.

THANK YOU. I absolutely despised the Toko/Togami situation in DR1 but Toko has actual personality in Another Episode and they at least make the attraction funny instead of super gross.

Not looking forward to the inevitable wave of people who will gloat about pirating the game now, but cool that more people will have access to it at least.
As if people weren't pirating the PSP version anyways. Maaaany more people will be getting around to actually playing the damn thing now.

I'm not a pc gamer (and I wouldn't even be able to run this game with my 1.9 GHz processor), but I'm really happy more people can finally experience Danganronpa now. I know someone who was interested, but didn't want to buy a Vita for it.

Guess we might as well talk about the fact DR1 is coming to Steam next month. Now I wonder when DR2 will come out & if Another Episode will get ported as well.

I'm pretty sure DR2 runs on the same engine as THH, so it'll probably happen at some point. Another Episode would require some more work though.

I hope it is soon, but considering the February release date there might be a possibility that a 2-year contract with NISA exists and DR2 comes until September. Although I believe it will come, by seeing how they are only releasing the first game SC may take some time to maximize profits of the franchise by avoiding a bundle situation with the sequel.

Another Episode may have to wait to the reception of the main series, though.

I don't see AE coming to any other console than Vita unless we get a remaster or a remake, it looks too atrocious to be acceptable on other platforms as it is (talking in terms of general reception here). It's also a spin-off, so its story is quite possibly not very relevant to the rest of the series, which means it might go unnoticed in terms of ports and/or remasters. The only worrying thing in AE is (AE SPOILERS)
Monaca's fate- I don't recall any other significant plot point. Didn't like it overall anyways, so it doesn't matter to me.

SerTapTap

Just noticed they're keeping the "trigger happy havok" logo for the Steam release, figured they'd have dropped it. I know why they tried, but the DR name already stuck with core fans so attempting to change the name/abbreviation wasn't going to work. Plus I feel that must have been NISA's idea not chunsoft.

I don't see AE coming to any other console than Vita unless we get a remaster or a remake, it looks too atrocious to be acceptable on other platforms as it is (talking in terms of general reception here). It's also a spin-off, so its story is quite possibly not very relevant to the rest of the series, which means it might go unnoticed in terms of ports and/or remasters. The only worrying thing in AE is (AE SPOILERS)
Monaca's fate- I don't recall any other significant plot point. Didn't like it overall anyways, so it doesn't matter to me.

Not much worse looking than most 3DS/Vita to PC ports IMO, though the style is certainly a bit weird. I don't think it'd be a big deal. It's still more VN than anything else, and while the graphics aren't awe-inspiring technically there's a lot of style in the non-cityscape environments.

I enjoyed AE (ugh, I keep forgetting to finish my review) though the puzzles were too fussy and it doesn't really end up as a proper survival horror game IMO. It WAS interesting to see them branch out and make a mostly brand new story in the same world though.

Definitely shouldn't be ported before DR2 though.

As if people weren't pirating the PSP version anyways. Maaaany more people will be getting around to actually playing the damn thing now.

I guess that's true. A ton of people only read the let's plays too, even ignoring the piracy aspect I don't think it's anywhere near the ideal way to experience the games. But at least they won't have an excuse for not buying it now, since Vita is everyone's favorite excuse to dismiss things.

If DR 1 & 2 do well on steam, I'd expect a PC port of AE eventually. No real reason not to if the series has a great reception and sells well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well that was quick. There's no date, but Spike Chunsoft did confirm that DR2 will indeed hit Steam in the future, along with some other games, though no idea on which ones.

Let it be the 999/VLR games so more people can experience them & be excited for ZTD

Just noticed that the English Danganronpa sites have been moved to danganronpa.us.
For example, going to nisamerica.com/games/danganronpa now leads to danganronpa.us/danganronpa.

I guess another sign that they're moving away from NIS America. I wonder if Spike Chunsoft will publish V3 on consoles in the west as well, or if they're only doing the pc versions.

Well, all of the social media links lead to NISA social media pages as opposed to the new Spike Chunsoft En pages. I think this was actually done by NISA, they've said for a while that they want to help make DR a big thing here. It's a nice step to have a centralized Danganronpa website.

Actually, there's a similar Disgaea.us page too, so I think this has more to do with NISA than SC.

Edit: Personally, I don't think Danganronpa is moving away from NISA. they've done nice work before, and I think SC sees that. Most of the stuff they've used for the steam release so far is exactly the same stuff NISA have did for the vita release. The steam page is a literal copy/paste of stuff NISA already wrote and it's the same trailer they made too. I think it's more likely SC will handle the PC releases, and NISA handle consoles.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Personally, I don't think Danganronpa is moving away from NISA. they've done nice work before, and I think SC sees that. Most of the stuff they've used for the steam release so far is exactly the same stuff NISA have did for the vita release. The steam page is a literal copy/paste of stuff NISA already wrote and it's the same trailer they made too. I think it's more likely SC will handle the PC releases, and NISA handle consoles.

I see a similar partnership with Aksys/Arc Sys. Aksys does all of the Guilty/Blazblue console titles, are Arc Sys has been working on the Steam stuff. It's probably easier for it to get put on Steam directly from the developer.

SerTapTap

NISA has done all the localization itself, I can't really see them leaving that arrangement for first releases. Probably just keeping the rights for PC releases while NISA does the heavy lifting. Localizing and console publishing is a lot more work than a port and filling out a few forms to release on Steam. Has Spike Chunsoft ever localized something themselves? Compile Heart only moved from NISA when they made their own localization shop.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is out on Steam for Win/Mac today, with a 20% discount. Currently the #3 best seller, behind Cities: Skylines - Snowfall and the Fallout 4 DLC (which has a $20 discount). Great to see it's doing well so far.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is out on Steam for Win/Mac today, with a 20% discount. Currently the #3 best seller, behind Cities: Skylines - Snowfall and the Fallout 4 DLC (which has a $20 discount). Great to see it's doing well so far.

Good news! I love my Vita as much as the next Vita fan, but I sure am glad it's getting more exposure :)

I heard NISA is having a press conference Monday. I highly doubt it, but it would be nice if they announce DR3 ahead of time.

Good news! I love my Vita as much as the next Vita fan, but I sure am glad it's getting more exposure :)

I heard NISA is having a press conference Monday. I highly doubt it, but it would be nice if they announce DR3 ahead of time.

It's dropped to 4 the last time I checked, but it's definitely great that it's doing so well. :)

Yeah, my dream is that they'll do a simultaneous release for DRV3. I'd even settle for a difference of just a month or two, but I realize that's still unlikely. Edit: it'd also be great if they got the rights to the DR3 anime. I vastly preferred NISA's dub to Funi's.

On a related note, I'm hoping that NISA will announce a VN, like they were teasing last year.

There's also a contest on Spike Chunsoft's twitter where you can win a code of the game (PC), earmuffs, Monokuma & Monomi hand puppets, & a "mystery swag bag".

Per the steam link apparently the mystery bag is "a secret swag bag from an upcoming Spike Chunsoft title." I guess that could mean Zero Escape, Grand Kingdom or Shiren. Maybe something else depending on what NISA announce on Monday.

Looks like the Danganronpa animanga is coming next month.

Cbl4bsyUkAAY6k_.jpg:large

Normally I'd have no interest in this, but based off of what they teased with Curler, if it does well it might encourage them to do the light novels... So I might buy this.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the Danganronpa animanga is coming next month.

Normally I'd have no interest in this, but based off of what they teased with Curler, if it does well it might encourage them to do the light novels... So I might buy this.

Yeah if it was more than just a typical PR talk (although I did catch him off guard a bit, since he did a rushed Q&A while handing out prizes) then I do hope it was a consideration. I'm definitely going to support it, if more stuff from the series will be coming out :) Would be nice to replace my doc/pdf copy of Zero >_>

Yeah if it was more than just a typical PR talk

Yeah, it could just be PR talk, but this currently looks like the best way to get Zero and maybe the others localized. So I might as well. Funnily enough, it looks like I'll be buying the manga of the anime before actually buying the anime.

I still enjoyed the anime, although rushed. Really really sad about DR2 getting passed over though. Would of LOVED to see that in a 20+ ep format.

I've just never gotten around to it. I do plan on buying Funi's DVD/Blu-Ray eventually, but I always put it off.

A DR2 anime would've been cool if they had ~20 episodes. I hope they have enough episodes so DR3 doesn't feel rushed.

Danganronpa 3 (anime) is going to get a new trailer on March 26. Next week's issue of Famitsu will be revealing a new character who will be appearing in it.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/180277

So the rumors I kept reading about new info towards the end of March were true. I asume the anime will air around May-June then, if they follow a similar schedule to the Ace Attorney one.

Probably V3 is a lock for Fall or Winter, if they don't delay the game of course.

That link doesn't work for me. Otherwise, looks cool so far. Looking forward to the translation. I'll be curious to see if Monomi is back, or if she's just there for a joke or size comparison.

Top Bottom