• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Interesting to see such a large new cast considering the format. I wonder if it will be like AE in that many of them don't really get that much screen time. Guess it would depend on how long the anime is too though.

That link doesn't work for me. Otherwise, looks cool so far. Looking forward to the translation. I'll be curious to see if Monomi is back, or if she's just there for a joke or size comparison.

Copy and paste it, direct famitsu links don't work.

Monomi was created by the Future Foundation, so considering that the anime seems to be centred around them, it sort of makes sense that she'd be back.

Copy and paste it, direct famitsu links don't work.

Monomi was created by the Future Foundation, so considering that the anime seems to be centred around them, it sort of makes sense that she'd be back.

I just followed a link from their twitter, but thanks for the heads up in the future.

Yeah, I was wondering if
she was going to show up as a computer program like Alter Ego. She was a program, so it's possible. I guess that also leaves it open for Chiaki to return in some form. Although I'm not a huge fan of the idea of Chiaki returning, as I feel that would devalue what happened in chapter 5 of DR2.

AI in a Monomi toy? or someone manually controlling her. Similar to how Monokuma has existed in various different ways both in and out of the NWP.

DR2, AE spoilers
Weren't all Monokumas manufactured by Haiji Corp.? Why would they manufacture Monomi, which is part of a clandestine VR project?

Are all the new characters from the Future Foundation? Some of their designs seem pretty wacky, so I'm not sure. Also, I wonder where is Byakuya? Toko is probably at Towa City, but him?

DR2, AE spoilers
Weren't all Monokumas manufactured by Haiji Corp.? Why would they manufacture Monomi, which is part of a clandestine VR project?
If it is actually a Monomi robot, maybe it is Togami-made? Or by the FF itself? And considering it is probably a backup from the one in DR2, it may not have all the memories from the one there. We may need to wait for the PV for any answers
and the Ultimate Despairs post-NWP

DR2, AE spoilers

This takes place after 2 and AE, so it's possible Future Foundation took over the factory/Towa Productions and produced their own robot(s). Taking over productions and continuing to make all the good things they made for FF and none of the bad for UD probably helped them to turn the tide of the war to the near victory they're at by the end of DR2. They most likely have the the data for the AI used to create the original Usami, so it's possible they just put another one in a new robot body.

Only question would be why they chose to make her look like Monomi when they could've gone with Usami (aside from the obvious answer of Kodaka going for easy jokes at Monomi's expense).

Moonlight

Banned
This takes place after 2 and AE, so it's possible Future Foundation took over the factory/Towa Productions and produced their own robot(s). Taking over productions and continuing to make all the good things they made for FF and none of the bad for UD probably helped them to turn the tide of the war to the near victory they're at by the end of DR2. They most likely have the the data for the AI used to create the original Usami, so it's possible they just put another one in a new robot body.

Only question would be why they chose to make her look like Monomi when they could've gone with Usami (aside from the obvious answer of Kodaka going for easy jokes at Monomi's expense).
Easier to manufacture off the original Monokuma chassis, is my guess.

With that many characters, I'm sure there would have to be a killing game of some sort. Likely be pretty different to the ones in the games though.

FWIW, this was what Kodaka said when the anime was originally unveiled:

*If DR3 was going to be a game, they wanted to include class trials, but the thought of putting the Hope's Peak students through another round of mutual killing was a bit too strained/painful. So they decided to finish things as an anime.
*They believe DR3 tells a story that can only be told through anime.
*Kodaka thinks it'll satisfy fans of the series, and says it uses tricks that can only be done in anime.

Interesting bits at the end of the anime trailer:

"So, Naegi.. the fate of humanity is riding on this next round of 'mutual killing'."

"This time, it'll be the final battle between you and me!"

The language used in these (plus the background) suggests it's Monokuma speaking, though the "boku" in the latter means there's an outside chance it's
Nagito

And because I enjoy second-guessing myself, it's also possible that it's just Naegi saying the line. I double-checked DR1 and he uses "kimi" as well. So, basically, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A mutual killing game is mentioned and they're skipping trials, so that would make me think it is going to be closer to a straight up battle royale if they are going in that direction. It might also be worth pointing out that Makoto's in handcuffs and Hiro's crystal ball is shattered on the announcement image.

Probably also worth considering that almost every piece of Danganronpa media up to this point has had a killing game of some kind, with the exception of the Kirigiri LNs (and maybe the upcoming Byakuya and Kazuichi novels).

I don't know if the Danganronpa 3 official web was already up but it has the characters now

Something I noticed is that Monomi's design changed, as she now has either a ring or a moon-shaped pin by her ear instead of her bow. I wonder what that means.

Also, Kodaka recently tweeted something interesting concerning the Danganronpa 2 characters, as it implies they may not appear in the new anime. Here's a translation.

FluxWaveZ

Also, Kodaka recently tweeted something interesting concerning the Danganronpa 2 characters, as it implies they may not appear in the new anime. Here's a translation.

Interesting. I would have fully expected some of the DR2 crew to appear in DR3 for a grand finale. I absolutely do not expect them to appear in V3, so maybe DR2's ambiguous ending really was the end of that cast's story.

I still think I could envision Nagito appearing, though, since he has the strongest ties to the "Hope's Peak Academy" arc out of all the DR2 characters (next to Hajime).

Really curious what DR3 will be about, in general, aside from Makoto on trial due to his actions in DR2. Looking forward to the trailer.

PK Gaming

I get his reasoning but I still can't help being incredibly sad over the news

Another Episode really should have focused on the DR2 cast

I don't know if the Danganronpa 3 official web was already up but it has the characters now

Everyone to the left of the old man look pretty sheisty.

I'm actually happy to hear that. I love the DR2 cast, but I feel like their story doesn't need to be touched on again. I prefer the ambiguous ending in this case. I understand why some people will be upset, though.

Based off of things from AE I wouldn't be surprised if
Nagito
has some influence/appearance in the anime.

Really curious what DR3 will be about, in general, aside from Makoto on trial due to his actions in DR2. Looking forward to the trailer.

Was that confirmed in Famitsu or did I miss some other bit of news? If it's speculation it would make sense, given what we know from the end of DR2.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't buy it. How much of DR2 actually even mattered to the overarching storyline in the end if the characters who survived it don't enter the picture at all? The last hour, at best. And I mean, I'm pretty confident that Nagito is gonna show up in this series, and of course that has certain implications for a lot of other characters.

FluxWaveZ

Was that confirmed in Famitsu or did I miss some other bit of news? If it's speculation it would make sense, given what we know from the end of DR2.

I don't think that was confirmed, but that's what I think is evident when they said DR3 took place immediately after DR2 and we see Makoto in handcuffs.

Names thanks to Gematsu (not sure if these were posted here):

Danganronpa-3-Teaser-Site-Open_002.png
From left to right, shown are:

Kouichi Kizakura (male with hat)
Seiko Kimura (female with mouth covered)
Great Gozu (wearing bull mask)
Sounosuke Izayoi (male wearing red jacket)
Ruruka Andou (female wearing pink jacket)
Juuzou Sakakura (male wearing furry hooded jacket)
Ryouta Mitarai (male wearing suit)
Miaya Gekkougahara (female with red scarf)
Kyousuke Munakata (male in white suit)
Kazuo Tengan (old man in detective attire)
Chisa Yukizome (female in lab coat)
[Returning] Yasuhiro Hagakure (male with crystal ball)
[Returning] Makoto Naegi (male in suit)
[Returning] Kyoko Kirigiri (female with short skirt)
[Returning] Aoi Asahina (female with suit/short shorts combination)
Daisaku Bandai (male with afro)

FWIW, this was what Kodaka said when the anime was originally unveiled
Still not sold on ending Hope's Peak story through an anime, specially if it's focused on the DR1 kids :/ The DR2 ones are more interesting in my opinion and I would like to see more of them :( Hajime>Makoto. But it's nice to see Monomi appearing and I like those designs :D and fingers crossed for Nagito~

Off-topic, but back when the SDR2 board was active I wrote my reactions while watching the game through YouTube. I felt bad for it, since DR2 has an amazing story and characters, so when I managed to get a Vita a few months ago I took the opportunity to buy DR2 while it was on a flash sale, and I have managed to get the Platinum trophy :D
I admit that playing through the game (even though I had already seen the story and knew some details) felt pretty awesome :) Hangman's Gambit was a pain but I enjoyed the other minigames. The Monomi game was fun at first but a hell while searching for all the items. Island Mode was so much fun! Definitely worth the buy and it's one of my favorite games ever!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh wait, just occurred to me why fat Togami would appear different if this is meant to be a prequel, considering the fact
it was that guy who was just imitating Togami, so makes sense he had a different disguise going on before taking on the role of Togami.

here you go you goobers you wanted them so here they are

i guess it's another anime thing that's focusing on DR2 characters pre-despair and the leadup to the worst event in history
OH MY GOD YES!!! :D SO MUCH HOPE!!
So does this trailer confirms all of the DR2 people were in the same class? Lol at Teruteru looking the same. I love Gundham's hair XD and (DR2 spoilers) I wonder
about who Fatogami is supposed to be disguising as, or if it is its natural look. Since Future Foundation deleted the student's school memories except from the moment they entered the academy, and this is how UI looks while in class with others, I supposed they kinda played around with UI's memories for it to be Togami for some reason? Also this means no Chiaki :( but I'm still really happy :D

GoldStarz

OH MY GOD YES!!! :D SO MUCH HOPE!!
So does this trailer confirms all of the DR2 people were in the same class? Lol at Teruteru looking the same. I love Gundham's hair XD and (DR2 spoilers) I wonder
about who Fatogami is supposed to be disguising as, or if it is its natural look. Since Future Foundation deleted the student's school memories except from the moment they entered the academy, and this is how UI looks while in class with others, I supposed they kinda played around with UI's memories for it to be Togami for some reason? Also this means no Chiaki :( but I'm still really happy :D

I'm still skeptical about them actually all being Class 77 since that means there are 18+ classmates for that class (14 Despairs + Sato + Fuyu's Sis + Yasuke + Yuto). Although it's totally possible class size isn't uniform either so who really knows.

It's possible he entered as Twogami for a laugh since Togami himself didn't
arrive until at least the next year.

Edit: Oh and since no one else said it, Chisa confirmed herself as SHSL Housekeeper/Maid at the end of the PV.

(DR2 spoilers) I wonder

We may see what lead up to him deciding to impersonate Byakuya. Perhaps Junko manipulated him into choosing that role.

Considering the timeline, the fact that we may get a glipse of Matsuda and the process of how Kamukura came to be and then fell to despair intrigues me the most.

And of course, more Nagito Komaeda is well received.

Someone posted this translation of Kodaka's tweets in the other thread:

fan translation by
http://kazarinn.tumblr.com/post/141697084107/kazutaka-kodaka-kazkodaka-im-very-sorry-for

Kazutaka Kodaka (@kazkodaka)

I’m very sorry for causing all of this trouble. I said that I wasn’t going to write about the 2 characters anymore, but…that was a lie. But I was telling the truth when I said “I don’t want to write them in a half-hearted manner” and “I can’t just rebuild it from zero as a completely different work”. So because of that, we’ve prepared Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy -Despair Arc-.

Featuring the Super Danganronpa 2 characters, it’ll tell the story of Hope’s Peak Academy that led up to the Worst, Most Despair-Inducing Incident in the History of Mankind. It’ll be a difficult, painful, and time-consuming story to make, but now that I’ve declared this to be the final chapter there’s no way around it. I’ll do it. Please let me do it!

It’ll be difficult since it’s an original story that takes place in the past. But because it’s going to be in an anime and not in a game, we’ll be able to put things that fans of 2 want to see and know in it that can be done specifically because it’s an anime. So considering that, I think it’ll be in this way that everyone will be pleased with through this thorny road.

So there are two Danganronpa 3s. As for how the Future Arc and Despair Arc will be related, and what kind of story it’ll turn out to be, please look forward to it. Since it’ll be an anime and not a game, the anime staff with Director Kishi as supervisor, along with the Danganronpa staff, are all fired up so that we can please all the fans of Danganronpa.

I’ve got a ton of work on my plate doing the scenario draft and overall supervision, but there’s even more in store for Director Kishi and the staff at Lerche. There’s Umiho-san, the series configuration writer, not to mention all the writers without whom we wouldn’t have been able to take on this reckless challenge. It’s in response to my huge, selfish demands, so I think it’ll become quite a huge work.

I apologize to everyone I worried with my tweets the other day. I was feeling up to being a little mischievous and showing off the amplitude between despair and hope. A mischievous heart is the driving force between the things I make, but it’s not good to lie. I’m fine with getting comments like “what a horrible prank, Kodaka” or “I like what he makes, but he’s a bad person” until you’re satisfied.

It’s a little embarrassing being caught in the act doing this outside the actual work. But of course, since there’s more where that came from with surprises and a mischievous heart in the actual work, please let me take on the new work. I promise it’ll mess with your head.

Of course, the game New Danganronpa V3 is also something we’re deep in production for. The staff is doing their best to make it the best game with the best mysteries. And as far as I’m concerned the anime is my priority, but please make sure to check out the Danganronpa stage play this year!

So, because I still have to bear the guilt of making everyone angry at me, I’m going to the Shinjuku Cabaret Club like a dragon*…no, like a scared rabbit. Goodbye.

*Like a Dragon = Japanese title of Yakuza

the trolling mastermind

I was sleeping

Where can I watch the PV and what is this about a prequel???

Wasn't this info on DR3:EoHP? Did they also announce a prequel?

Top Bottom