• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

GoldStarz

I was sleeping

Where can I watch the PV and what is this about a prequel???

Wasn't this info on DR3:EoHP? Did they also announce a prequel?

Someone already posted the link. We're getting two animes: End of Hope's Peak Future Volume (sequel) and End of Hope's Peak Despair Volume (prequel)

I'm still skeptical about them actually all being Class 77 since that means there are 18+ classmates for that class (14 Despairs + Sato + Fuyu's Sis + Yasuke + Yuto). Although it's totally possible class size isn't uniform either so who really knows.

It's possible he entered as Twogami for a laugh since Togami himself didn't
arrive until at least the next year.
We may see what lead up to him deciding to impersonate Byakuya. Perhaps Junko manipulated him into choosing that role.
The possibilities for UI sure are interesting. So excited :D
And yeah the size of the class seems weird for me too. I do wonder if those other characters you mentioned will be featured. Also, if Hajime's actually classmates with the DR2 cast during school, does that mean that
they're the ones who are talking about him in that Chapter 3 flashback/dream? If so, because he has his confidence problems during that time I guess he doesn't get too close with anyone in particular. And if they know he doesn't have a talent, I'm really excited to see his relationship with Nagito!

GoldStarz

The possibilities for UI sure are interesting. So excited :D
And yeah the size of the class seems weird for me too. I do wonder if those other characters you mentioned will be featured. Also, if Hajime's actually classmates with the DR2 cast during school, does that mean that
they're the ones who are talking about him in that Chapter 3 flashback/dream? If so, because he has his confidence problems during that time I guess he doesn't get too close with anyone in particular. And if they know he doesn't have a talent, I'm really excited to see his relationship with Nagito!

No,
the flashback dream definitely took place before Hajime was in HPA, iirc they talk about how he's transferring soon and how HPA's lowered it's standards for 'Reserve Course' students.

As for Komaeda, their interaction has to be limited since we know Komaeda didn't meet Izuru until the boat ride to Jabberwock and it seems like Reserve students only had limited interaction with SHSL students. Either way, Hajime won't be treated very well by him given his view on normal people.

Personally, I'm curious if we'll see what Komaeda did that made even mentioning his name get banned among the School Board.

Okay just watched it and two questions

1)
What's the Ultimate title of the girl that appears at the end of the PV? I think she has one...

2) (SDR2 HUGE SPOILERS)
Wasn't Hinata transformed into Izuru, why is he himself while standing next to Despair versions of the SDR2 cast?

Okay just watched it and two questions

1)
What's the Ultimate title of the girl that appears at the end of the PV? I think she has one...

2) (SDR2 HUGE SPOILERS)
Wasn't Hinata transformed into Izuru, why is he himself while standing next to Despair versions of the SDR2 cast?

1. We don't know. No one has posted if any of the Future Foundation people are Ultimates. At least not from what I've seen so far.

That part of the anime is the prequel, it's supposed to show how they became the Ultimate Despair. So we're going to see him transform into Izuru.

1. We don't know. No one has posted if any of the Future Foundation people are Ultimates.

That part of the anime is the prequel, it's supposed to show how they became the Ultimate Despair.

I'm incredibly sure that that girl at the very end of the PV video introduced herself as "koukkou" (or however you spell that "ultimate" meaning word) something. She's something Ultimate for sure.

GoldStarz

1. We don't know. No one has posted if any of the Future Foundation people are Ultimates. At least not from what I've seen so far.

According to SDR2,
the Future Foundation was founded by graduated Ultimates of HPA, it's not a stretch to assume most of their higher ups have talents.
I'm incredibly sure that that girl at the very end of the PV video introduced herself as "koukkou" (or however you spell that "ultimate" meaning word) something. She's something Ultimate for sure.

She's a Maid/Housekeeper

Also related to the second question:
some people are speculating he already is Izuru or is being prepped for his transition since he's wearing the same suit that he wore as Izuru.

I'm not denying that she's an ultimate, I just haven't seen it posted yet. The key players in the Hope's Peak Saga are all Ultimates, so it would make sense if she was.

edit, here:

Yukizome Chisa’s lines:

tumblr_inline_o4mk1rVJAd1sm64oj_400.png

“Huh, what am I doing here? I’m more of a SHSL Maid. Ehehe, well then, see you soon!”

GoldStarz

Regarding the DR2 prequel promo (endgame spoilers):
Isn't kimono-girl supposed to be older?

We only know they got a growth spurt through their school year, we don't really know when tbh. For all we know
they were already in Despair when that pic was taken.

According to SDR2,
the Future Foundation was founded by graduated Ultimates of HPA, it's not a stretch to assume most of their higher ups have talents.

She's a Maid/Housekeeper

some people are speculating he already is Izuru or is being prepped for his transition since he's wearing the same suit that he wore as Izuru.

I'm not denying that she's an ultimate, I just haven't seen it posted yet. The key players in the Hope's Peak Saga are all Ultimates, so it would make sense if she was.

edit, here:

Yukizome Chisa’s lines:

tumblr_inline_o4mk1rVJAd1sm64oj_400.png

omg that's great

No,
the flashback dream definitely took place before Hajime was in HPA, iirc they talk about how he's transferring soon and how HPA's lowered it's standards for 'Reserve Course' students.

As for Komaeda, their interaction has to be limited since we know Komaeda didn't meet Izuru until the boat ride to Jabberwock and it seems like Reserve students only had limited interaction with SHSL students. Either way, Hajime won't be treated very well by him given his view on normal people.

Personally, I'm curious if we'll see what Komaeda did that made even mentioning his name get banned among the School Board.
Ah! I see! I got that scene so wrong then lol So even people at his school thought of him as someone talentless and generic/normal, that explains more of his confidence issues now. The Reserve Course students were kept separate from the main class, right? So then it's very probable Hajime didn't interact with the 77th class that much (which is kinda sad given all the FTEs). And if both Nagito and Izuru were Ultimate Despair but still didn't know each other I doubt Izuru met the other Ultimate Despairs as well. A DR2 story without Hajime being involved in the lives of the other Ultimates O: With no killing games I do wonder how Nagito acts around his classmates, but given what you mention (do they mention that in a novel?) he still probably goes to the extremes. lol

About that,
look at his eyes. They aren't red yet

The new anime has a lot of potential, both on the Future arc, which may involve Monaca, and the Despair arc. The later will probably deal with the original killing game, and may finish with (DR0 spoilers)
Junko being memory wiped by Matsuda after using her Ultimate Analyst talent to set everything in motion

FluxWaveZ

The later will probably deal with the original killing game, and may finish with (DR0 spoilers)
Junko being memory wiped by Matsuda after using her Ultimate Analyst talent to set everything in motion

I don't know about that. To me, it seems very much like it wants to focus on the DR2 cast's origins, so I don't think it will focus very much on the greater story or be an adaptation of significant events from Danganronpa Zero.

GoldStarz

Ah! I see! I got that scene so wrong then lol So even people at his school thought of him as someone talentless and generic/normal, that explains more of his confidence issues now. The Reserve Course students were kept separate from the main class, right? So then it's very probable Hajime didn't interact with the 77th class that much (which is kinda sad given all the FTEs). And if both Nagito and Izuru were Ultimate Despair but still didn't know each other I doubt Izuru met the other Ultimate Despairs as well. A DR2 story without Hajime being involved in the lives of the other Ultimates O: With no killing games I do wonder how Nagito acts around his classmates, but given what you mention (do they mention that in a novel?) he still probably goes to the extremes. lol
1) DanganRonpa /Zero Spoilers
Yeah, it's said that they were kept separately.
DR0 said:
"We’re all situated in the east district while they’re all in the west, so we don’t know much about each other, but…"
According to Matsuda, they were basically just fodder and it's outright stated they were ripped off and that the official HPA teachers don't like the Reserve students very much
DR0 said:
"But isn’t that kind of a rip off?"

"It seems like it, but it’s just the kind of world we live in." Matsuda-kun distorted his face into a bitter smile, and then he continued. "Right now, Hope’s Peak Academy is set up in a pyramid sort of idea that a third world country would use, it’s only really there to concentrate it’s effort on the "super high school levels", for their benefit, and then below them are the reserve students from the preparatory school.
(source)

2) It's from a short story. When the anime was first released on DVD, Kodaka wrote a short story about how Makoto was first admitted into HPA, the story first starts out with Jin and the Reserve Course discussing whether they should even have another drawing. Spoilers for that below.
Makoto Naegi's Worst Day Ever said:
“Remember last year’s Super Duper High School Luckster?”
As soon as the words left his mouth, the Board members’ expressions all shifted in unison⁠—like he had just mentioned something taboo.
“If everything occurs because the natural order of things demands it so,” the headmaster continued, “then why do things always seem to happen that benefit him? I cannot look at that boy and tell myself that fortune is nothing more than how we perceive the outcome of an event.”
“But when it results in something like that...” one of the old men spat. All four members of the Board of Directors looked like they were sucking on lemons, as they had since the second the headmaster mentioned the previous year’s Super Duper High School Luckster.
(source)

About that,
look at his eyes. They aren't red yet
SDR2 spoilers
Yeah, that's why I'm more on the belief that he's in the transitional phase where's he not really in the Reserve Course anymore

I don't know about that. To me, it seems very much like it wants to focus on the DR2 cast's origins, so I don't think it will focus very much on the greater story or be an adaptation of significant events from Danganronpa Zero.
Well Kodaka did say this and the other volume would be related to each other somehow, so who knows. Of course, we don't actually know whether of not this takes before or after DR0 yet, as far as I've heard. We know that
Junko got the Reserve Course under her control before she went under as Ryoko but everyone else is pretty much fair game

I don't expect them to get to the appearance of Ryoko, but considering that Danganronpa Zero occurred
in the aftermath of the original killing game that finally plunged Izuru into despair
it wouldn't be weird to see the events leading to the novel.
Of course, that's only the events surrounding Izuru. As inportant as they are, I'm quite interested in seeing how characters like Nidai and Ibuki fell into Junko's clutches. If DR0 is any indication, we are in for a ride.

1) DanganRonpa /Zero Spoilers
Yeah, it's said that they were kept separately.

According to Matsuda, they were basically just fodder and it's outright stated they were ripped off and that the official HPA teachers don't like the Reserve students very much
(source)

2) It's from a short story. When the anime was first released on DVD, Kodaka wrote a short story about how Makoto was first admitted into HPA, the story first starts out with Jin and the Reserve Course discussing whether they should even have another drawing. Spoilers for that below.

(source)

SDR2 spoilers
Yeah, that's why I'm more on the belief that he's in the transitional phase where's he not really in the Reserve Course anymore

Well Kodaka did say this and the other volume would be related to each other somehow, so who knows. Of course, we don't actually know whether of not this takes before or after DR0 yet, as far as I've heard. We know that
Junko got the Reserve Course under her control before she went under as Ryoko but everyone else is pretty much fair game
Interesting O:
Really sucks for the Reserve students :/ of course they were easy to convince for a massive suicide after such a bad treatment. Hopefully they adress that Nagito situation in the anime because it sounds exciting. Now that you mention him, we could get to see more of Jin during the DR3 Despair anime, right? And I think those two novels you mentioned (and Danganronpa Kirigiri) are the only official DR stuff I haven't read about yet so I'll better get started. :p
Thanks for the links!!

(Zero/Makoto's Day spoilers)
Since the translation doesn't reach the end I went to the wiki and..... Matsuda </3. Also lol at the plot twist of "it was Junko!!1!" Since Matsuda's part of the 77th class too I guess that explains why he has an alternative execution in DR2. And oh man I loved the part where Ryoko went to the secret society of the Reserve students wearing Monokuma masks and watching the Killing Game, dat foreshadowing. Makoto, Kirigiri and Jin were cool too. And the Makoto's story was pretty good too, I feel bad and fortunate for the previous girl hahaha.

GoldStarz

Since the translation doesn't reach the end I went to the wiki and..... Matsuda </3. Also lol at the plot twist of "it was Junko!!1!" Since Matsuda's part of the 77th class too I guess that explains why he has an alternative execution in DR2. And oh man I loved the part where Ryoko went to the secret society of the Reserve students wearing Monokuma masks and watching the Killing Game, dat foreshadowing. Makoto, Kirigiri and Jin were cool too. And the Makoto's story was pretty good too, I feel bad and fortunate for the previous girl hahaha.

Sorry, there was another person who finished the translation, I assumed they had linked over to that account. If you still are interested, I can link you to the end of the story myself.

Interesting O:
What is this about an alternative Matsuda execution?

A bunch of characters have art of the concepts for their unused executions, despite never being in a killing game, Matsuda also has one planned out for him.

Where those official? I thought that they were from a fanbook, not from Spike Chunsoft.
Nevertheless, the related art is pretty good and quite interesting.

Sorry, there was another person who finished the translation, I assumed they had linked over to that account. If you still are interested, I can link you to the end of the story myself.
Sure :D I still haven't checked what happens to the Ultimate Agent (Yuuto if I remember right).
I don't believe most of them are official, but the wiki seems to consider them official enough to document the images.
Yeah because of the wiki I think they're official lol They don't have any other fan stuff in the wiki so it seems weird.

Kindekuma

Banned
Hi DespairGAF!

Never posted in here before, but I thought I would swing by and say that I'm absolutely adoring the series during my playthroughs. I've finished THH and now just finished the first class trial in Goodbye Despair. I hear that there's a sort of spin off game for the Vita as well, is that worth picking up after GD?

GoldStarz

Hi DespairGAF!

Never posted in here before, but I thought I would swing by and say that I'm absolutely adoring the series during my playthroughs. I've finished THH and now just finished the first class trial in Goodbye Despair. I hear that there's a sort of spin off game for the Vita as well, is that worth picking up after GD?

I'd tell you yes, but others would tell you no.

TBH, as long as you realize the spin-off is supposed to be an action-horror and not a mystery game, I think you'll be fine.

Although, there's definitely some messed up stuff in there that I don't agree with so... It's your choice.

Hi DespairGAF!

If you enjoyed the first two games and want more when you're done, I'd say go for it. I liked the game, and you can usually get it for a good price now. Just be aware that it isn't as good as the mainline games.

Hi DespairGAF!

It might be worth knowing the story of Another Episode for DR3, but I'd say watch an LP instead. Not worth spending money on it, not over 10-15 bucks at least.

Hey everyone, the preorders for the PC port of DR2 are live now. It has a discount of 20% and the mini OST is included, and the original is also discounted.

Does anyone have the JP Reload1+2 or the Asia JP/Chinese editions with different artwork from what we got in NA+EU? I'm trying to get all versions of the games on Vita. Had a question about the different box art for the JP releases.

Please desist.
Sorry, got carried away. :p
(Zero spoilers)
Oh my God, when all of the Madarai brothers left died for the sake of finding the truth behind the killing game it broke my heart, but it was worse when YUUTO WAS KILLED!! Like, why do that? Was it really necessary? :( Thinking about it just makes me sad, specially since Matsuda was the one who killed him.... a-and then that part where Junko tells him she was responsible for his mother's death. Like DAMN. D:
Blasphemy, SDR2 is the best game.
#respect

GoldStarz

Sorry, got carried away. :p
(Zero spoilers)
Oh my God, when all of the Madarai brothers left died for the sake of finding the truth behind the killing game it broke my heart, but it was worse when YUUTO WAS KILLED!! Like, why do that? Was it really necessary? :( Thinking about it just makes me sad, specially since Matsuda was the one who killed him.... a-and then that part where Junko tells him she was responsible for his mother's death. Like DAMN. D:
BTW, I'm wonder did you catch that
the renovated building was the building that DR1 takes place in?

I don't think Yuto's death was necessary plot-wise since the truth getting out was the entire point of Junko's plan, but I feel it was definitely necessary narrative-wise. DR /Zero is basically a foregone conclusion from the start, the apocalypse is inevitable and everyone's gonna be a victim. Really it's a testament to how amazing Junko's analysis abilities are because if the events had gone differently then it could've easily fizzled out the makings of The Tragedy

I clocked Danganronpa 1. Dam it was good! How many additional hours does it take to do School Mode so i can platinum?

Assuming you get through School mode successfully each time you play, maybe 3-6 hours? It's at least 60-90 minutes per playthrough. Be sure to make Coke Bottle Glasses ASAP, it makes gathering materials easy.

If you need to fill in report cards it will take longer.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It'll probably take about 4 or 5 play throughs, depending on how much of the reports cards you have left to fill out.

Needless to say, it's easily the most grindy part of 1 & 2

Card Boy

Banned
I think i have fucked up my first run of School mode, already missed 2 of the deadlines. Might just focus on leveling up characters stats at this point and doing report cards.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
During your first playthrough, you most likely won't be able to create everything due to everyone being level 1. Use it more to get everyone leveled up for the next playthroughs.

Just finished the first game.... Holy fuck that was better then I was expecting. As a big fan of the zero escape series this really scratched an itch. Question though, any important story bits that show up in school life or can I just skip the mode? With 2 like a week away on steam part of me wants to just set the game down and let the game set in my head. But I don't wanna miss out on anything important either.

Puruzi

Banned
Just finished the first game.... Holy fuck that was better then I was expecting. As a big fan of the zero escape series this really scratched an itch. Question though, any important story bits that show up in school life or can I just skip the mode? With 2 like a week away on steam part of me wants to just set the game down and let the game set in my head. But I don't wanna miss out on anything important either.

you don't need to play school mode

some of the extra character stuff is neat if you didn't complete the report cards and there's makoto being a total ladykiller if you like that but that's about it.

Top Bottom