• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

GoldStarz

Just finished the first game.... Holy fuck that was better then I was expecting. As a big fan of the zero escape series this really scratched an itch. Question though, any important story bits that show up in school life or can I just skip the mode? With 2 like a week away on steam part of me wants to just set the game down and let the game set in my head. But I don't wanna miss out on anything important either.

No need for School Mode, but I recommend reading DanganRonpa /Zero beforehand. (part 1 // part 2)

It helps set up the world of DanganRonpa a bit more and explains some stuff that got kinda glossed over in DR1. Not 100% vital but it's highly recommended.

No need for School Mode, but I recommend reading DanganRonpa /Zero beforehand. (part 1 // part 2)

It helps set up the world of DanganRonpa a bit more and explains some stuff that got kinda glossed over in DR1. Not 100% vital but it's highly recommended.
Thank you, I'll give em a read. Is that second link the other chapters to the down book or is that a separate read?

GoldStarz

Thank you, I'll give em a read. Is that second link the other chapters to the down book or is that a separate read?

The first translator went on a long hiatus (and then quit entirely), so another person finished the translation. They say they're not as good, but tbh their translation seems fine.

tl;dr the second link has the final chapters

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Big in Japan has posted some preorder figures, based on characters from the upcoming anime. They are kinda spoilery if I link, so yeah, they're there.

BTW, I'm wonder did you catch that
the renovated building was the building that DR1 takes place in?

I don't think Yuto's death was necessary plot-wise since the truth getting out was the entire point of Junko's plan, but I feel it was definitely necessary narrative-wise. DR /Zero is basically a foregone conclusion from the start, the apocalypse is inevitable and everyone's gonna be a victim. Really it's a testament to how amazing Junko's analysis abilities are because if the events had gone differently then it could've easily fizzled out the makings of The Tragedy
You mean the building with Matsuda's room, the hospital room with the Student Council president, the cafeteria area with Teruteru's cooking, etc? Or the abandoned building where Izuru was? Hope's Peak does seems bigger in the novel, specially the part where Madarai is following Ryoko.

Yeah I understand what you mean :( I should have expected all of these characters (Matsuda, Madarai, Yuuto, the Student Council President) to die from the beginning. And pretty much all of the events of the novel went just as she expected (cept for Kirigiri but whatevs) so damn, Junko is definitely the Ultimate Analyst.

GoldStarz

You mean the building with Matsuda's room, the hospital room with the Student Council president, the cafeteria area with Teruteru's cooking, etc? Or the abandoned building where Izuru was? Hope's Peak does seems bigger in the novel, specially the part where Madarai is following Ryoko.

Yeah I understand what you mean :( I should have expected all of these characters (Matsuda, Madarai, Yuuto, the Student Council President) to die from the beginning. And pretty much all of the events of the novel went just as she expected (cept for Kirigiri but whatevs) so damn, Junko is definitely the Ultimate Analyst.
Abandoned building at the end. Reread the sequence and you'll realize probably see some telling signs

Also, yeah, this is why I think everything up until Chapter 6 of SDR2 more or less went as Junko wanted.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, I have to give these a listen later.

.....so he does a cover of one of the Discussion themes, right?

GSR

Heh, interesting thing to make a video out of. The importance of seiyuus.

I mean, Ooyama as Monokuma was a pretty huge casting coup, and her voice is pretty strongly associated with the character. No way were they gonna play this low-key.

Alfredo

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't just make a brand new character, especially since DRV3 is supposed to be separate from the others.

GSR

Is this starting in the new anime or the new game? Either way, it's probably for the best given Ooyama's health issues.

Effective immediately, basically. So the upcoming play (which is why they announced today it looks like), the anime, the game.

GoldStarz

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't just make a brand new character, especially since DRV3 is supposed to be separate from the others.

Monokuma is their mascot and brand identification is crazy important in marketing. Getting rid of Monokuma is basically getting rid of their identity in the market entirely. Yeah they have Monomi but a) she can't fill a villain role and b) she's still a secondary mascot and foil to Monokuma.

Effective immediately, basically. So the upcoming play (which is why they announced today it looks like), the anime, the game.
I thought the plays just used recycled voice clips from the games. I was hoping they had at least recorded most of DR3 as a suitable finale for her as Monokuma, but oh well, it's better than pushing her when she's not well.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sad how much Oyama's health deteriorated, so it's no surprise that they looked for a successor. Nothing can compare to the original of course, but at least Oyama made for a nice sendoff.

So Oyama's final work as Monokuma - and overall, it seems - was the stage play for Danganronpa 2? It is a shame that she wasn't able to lend her voice for the DR3 anime, but I suppose her condition didn't let her. At least now I get why Monokuma didn't have any voiced lines for the trailers.

I think I'll get accustomed to the new voice when we get a more extensive voice acting out from the new seiyuu, but right now it seems a little too soft and not quite as sarcastic.

I can't recall, but did they ever announce plans for any of the games to be released on PS4, or are they avoiding that all together?

Just out of curiosity.

GoldStarz

Nothing's been announced, I personally doubt they will considering the fact that a) NDRv3 is unrelated to the previous three games and b) they're releasing the main games on Steam

I can't recall, but did they ever announce plans for any of the games to be released on PS4, or are they avoiding that all together?

Just out of curiosity.

They passed up on 3 really good opportunities to announce PS4 ports (Playstation TGS, the Danganronpa stream event, and even the more recent anime announcements to a lesser extent), so I kind of doubt it. At least not anytime soon, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility at some point.

Some of you might remember the announcement last year that Nobuyo Ooyama would be putting any future voice acting jobs on hold. Today it's been announced that from here on, Tarako Isono, probably best known for being the voice of Maruko from Chibi Maruko-chan, but perhaps best recognized here for voicing Zero III in VLR, will be taking on the role of Monokuma from here on. Spike Chunsoft has posted a video sampling her as Monokuma.

Sad to hear about Ooyama. She was a really big coup for the Danganronpa team. Isono sounds pretty good to me, although I usually go with the dub anyway.

tauke

Still at the intro but DR2 runs exactly the same like DR1 on PC. Luckily I'm still in the dark about anything related to DR2 and I really enjoy DR1 (except it is way too predictable for me as someone who reads Young Kindaichi and Detective Conan manga A LOT).

My weekend will be pure absolute despair nyohoho.

GoldStarz

They've announced the VAs for some of the new DR3 characters

Sonosuke Izayoi is voiced by Takuya Eguchi
Ruruka Ando is voiced by Inori Minase
Seiko Kimura is voiced by Saki Fujita

Edit: More were announced

Kazuo Tengan is voiced by Hidekatsu Shibata
Koichi Kizakura is voiced by Keiji Fujiwara

Edit 2: Adding More...

Ryota Mitarai is voiced by Kanata Hongo
Daisuku Bandai is voiced by Rie Kugimiya
Great Gozu is voiced by Kenta Miyake

Also the Ultimate Impostor will be voiced by Hongo as well in DR3.

cj_iwakura

I've been looking at the DR2 cast after finishing AE, and trying to figure out how... (DR2 ending spoilers)
certain characters could be members of Ultimate Despair. Ones like Gundam and even Ibuki, I could see, but then you have Sonia and certain others and I'm just like... them? How?

FluxWaveZ

I've been looking at the DR2 cast after finishing AE, and trying to figure out how... (DR2 ending spoilers)
certain characters could be members of Ultimate Despair. Ones like Gundam and even Ibuki, I could see, but then you have Sonia and certain others and I'm just like... them? How?

Have you read Danganronpa Zero? Some of the "how" is conveyed in it.

Basically, (DR1 SPOILERS):
As the Ultimate Despair, Junko's influence could theoretically reduce any person to despair who isn't the Ultimate Hope (specifically Naegi, in this case).

GoldStarz

Didn't he have heart issues? It would explain why he's so excited about being a robot anyhow.

That seemed like a pretty much resolved issue though and it didn't seemed like it bothered him that much to begin with. The best thing I could ever come up with is that a former student/team of his got caught cheating or doing something shady and that it affected him personally

Non-spoilers, but we should have the rest of the new character's VAs pretty soon since there are only 3 more characters to 'reveal' for Despair Volume and 6 more for Future Volume.

GoldStarz

Okay so this is interesting, the DR site just updated with the VA for
Miaya Gekkogahara
. Apparently
she doesn't have her VA listed, so either she'll be mute or her VA is a spoiler.

Okay so this is interesting, the DR site just updated with the VA for
Miaya Gekkogahara
. Apparently
she doesn't have her VA listed, so either she'll be mute or her VA is a spoiler.

Isn't that the Monaca look-alike? So now we have two apparently important guys, her and that guy with the fur jacket (as he is getting a figure made).
Interesting indeed.

GoldStarz

Isn't that the Monaca look-alike? So now we have two apparently important guys, her and that guy with the fur jacket (as he is getting a figure made).
Interesting indeed.

Indeed it is, the final 3 for Future Volume that are gonna be announced tomorrow all have merch for them as well.
One of them, Chisa, is the girl who appeared at the end of the latest trailer.

GoldStarz

There is a Monaca look-alike? Did they announce new characters? I can't remember anyone who looked like her.

They announced new character a while ago. The character is question though is her:
latest

Not really an exact match, but the hair is similar enough to cause speculation.
then again people were debating about whether Twintails was Monaca for a while too before NDRv3 was confirmed to be unconnected to previous games.

Battlechili

Banned
I got Danganronpa 2! Its been quite a fun ride thus far, although seeing
Byakuya again
was really strange. I just got through the first trial. Teruteru
breaking into a New Orleans accent
was golden.

GoldStarz

BIG NEWS!!

Apparently Despair Volume will be airing concurrently with Future Volume!!

latest

The two will air interchangably and you cannot watch one without the other.

I got Danganronpa 2! Its been quite a fun ride thus far, although seeing
Byakuya again
was really strange. I just got through the first trial. Teruteru
breaking into a New Orleans accent
was golden.

I recommend you go to the DR2 Steam thread until you finish friend. Staying here, especially now, puts you at a VERY high risk of being spoiled.

Also:

Chisa Yukizome is being voiced by Mai Nakahara
Kyosuke Munakata is being voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa
Juzo Sakakura is being voiced by Junichi Suwabe

Some Famitsu stuff is coming out soon, looks like we're getting some info on the Future Foundations' HQ.

GoldStarz

So I suppose speculation about what this means will increase. From my point of view I think this signifies that the DR2 guys will be involved in the Future volume in some way.

Either that or past events that were set up are coming into play now. Either way, this is going to be really interesting to see how it plays out.

So I suppose speculation about what this means will increase. From my point of view I think this signifies that the DR2 guys will be involved in the Future volume in some way.

Well
Ultimate Imposter
was mimicking someone from the Future Foundation way back then, so I think it's very safe to say that the 2 volumes will connect in some way. Likely the events of the past set-up, lead to, relate to and/or explain the present (Future Volume) in some way.

Although, I believe it's been known for a while that both volumes relate to each other.

GoldStarz

Famitsu Info is coming in:

Chisa Yukizome (Ultimate Housekeeper)
Kyosuke Munakata (Ultimate Student Council President)
Miaya Gekkougahara (Ultimate Therapist)
Ruruka Ando (Ultimate Confectioner)
Seiko Kimura (Ultimate Chemist)
Sonosuke Izayoi (Ultimate Blacksmith)
Ryouta Mitarai (Ultimate Animator)
Juzo Sakakura (Ultimate Boxer)
Daisaku Bandai (Ultimate Farmer)
Great Gozu (Ultimate Wrestler)
Kazuo Tengan (Headmaster; formerly)
Koichi Kizakura (HPA Talent Scout)

Famitsu Info is coming in:

Kyosuke Munakata (Ultimate Student Council President)
Miaya Gekkougahara (Ultimate Therapist)
Kazuo Tengan (Headmaster; formerly)
Oh boy.

We also have class confirmation:
Class 66: Daisaku Bandai
Class 69: Great Gozu
Class 74: Chisa Yukizome, Kyosuke Munakata, Juzo Sakakura
Class 76: Ruruka Ando, Seiko Kimura, Sonosuke Izayoi
Class 77: Ryouta Mitarai, DR2 cast
Class 78: DR1 cast
Unknown: Miaya Gekkougahara

Looking at the new info, it seems like Uchikoshi and Kodaka have been exchanging notes - DR3 involves a killing game involving sleeping gas and a traitor.

Top Bottom