• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

tauke

I just started Danganronpa 2.

What the fuck?
Why is Byakuya fat? Why is he even here?

I don't know what's going on but I know for sure I'm not going to like this fuckery

Hoho glad to see another despair player. I just reached Chapter 4 and my advice for anyone who's playing it *just for the story* to put the difficulty level to Gentle during trial.

The new *improved* minigames are BS and more frustrating for Danganronpa 1 players.

Spoiler for Case 3:
Man the motivation is super lame for me. Luckily I maxed out Ibuki social link because I get the hunch that she will RIP instead of surviving until the end game. :(

The new *improved* minigames are BS and more frustrating for Danganronpa 1 players.

Haha, I remember also thinking "Improved my ass" when I first played it. They're still very playable on the normal difficulty though, just a bit tougher than in DR1 (which was pretty easy on normal).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've lost count how many times I've stated I hate "Improved" Hangman's Gambit, especially when you have to get the "complete a trial without taking damage" trophy.

Hoho glad to see another despair player. I just reached Chapter 4 and my advice for anyone who's playing it *just for the story* to put the difficulty level to Gentle during trial.

Spoiler for Case 3:
Man the motivation is super lame for me. Luckily I maxed out Ibuki social link because I get the hunch that she will RIP instead of surviving until the end game. :(
case 3 was about the time DR2 started falling apart for me. After that my opinion of it came in much lower than DR1. Case 2 is my favorite despite it having a similar issue to case 3

The motives in DR2 being so forced was lame. Rather than this generic nudge we got for the motives in DR1, DR2 was just targeting specific characters, or completely forcing their hands

I've lost count how many times I've stated I hate "Improved" Hangman's Gambit, especially when you have to get the "complete a trial without taking damage" trophy.

Oh yeah, I was pretty afraid of that trophy for that reason, though I think I just got it at some point during my second playthrough.

case 3 was about the time DR2 started falling apart for me. After that my opinion of it came in much lower than DR1. Case 2 is my favorite despite it having a similar issue to case 3

The motives in DR2 being so forced was lame. Rather than this generic nudge we got for the motives in DR1, DR2 was just targeting specific characters, or completely forcing their hands

Oh come on people, the reason the motives are being forced is because Junko wants the kills, unlike Danganronpa 1 where it could go on forever, the reason Ultimate Despair willingly joined the simulation was so they could kill each other ASAP so Junko could take over their bodies

And even if you dislike Case 3 and Case 4, Case 5 is far better than DR1's Case 5

I don't bother with achievements at all but if you want to do so, wouldn't the easiest way to do this is to replay the first case on gentle? Hangman's Gambit is not that bad there

Oh come on people, the reason the motives are being forced is because Junko wants the kills, unlike Danganronpa 1 where it could go on forever, the reason Ultimate Despair willingly joined the simulation was so they could kill each other ASAP so Junko could take over their bodies

And even if you dislike Case 3 and Case 4, Case 5 is far better than DR1's Case 5
I get why they are like that, it doesn't make it interesting

tauke

So I finally endured Chapter 4 which has a nice settings but again, lame murder setup and motivation (logic that could've fit in a typical Sierra's Adventure game design).

BUT

Chapter 5 is where I'm truly engrossed for several hours non stop. Although the remix investigation music is not as catchy as DR1.

Going to finish Chapter 6 after my sleep. It's 3AM already lol.

I have a lot of problems with the game, but I did enjoy the ending to Danganronpa 2 more than the first game.

First let me vent my problems:

1. Man they need to figure out pacing though, they literally introduced 75% of the plot for basically the first time (besides mere name drops) in the last hour and a half. I kept waiting for the game to break open like the first game, but it kept delaying more and more. It felt significantly longer for no reason basically. In fact I checked Steam, I beat the first game without much skipping and looking constantly for extras in 23 hours, while 2 took me 46 hours, I did leave it open in Steam a few times, but I bet my total time was some where around 40 hours. That was with me skipping most of the daily life stuff from after the 3rd case.

2. Other than that I wish they would have chosen some of the remaining characters at the end better. Ending Spoilers:
Kazuichi was by far, far the least interesting male character. He really added nothing at all to the game besides filling a spot. Ghundam or Metalmaru should have stayed after the 4th case
. I guess this is a matter of personal preference.

3. The fan service, even with how "meta" it is, is super annoying.

4. Monokuma felt like a much weaker character this game, I can't put my finger on it, but he was someone I looked forward to hearing from in the first game, but this game he just was a nuisance to listen to.

5. I've said it once, and I'll say it again, whoever design the 3d movement in these games needs to be sacked. I didn't look into it beyond the settings screen, but a simple option to increase turning sensitivity would have made everything feel much more fluid and less tank like.

6. I enjoyed the Logic Dive mini game, and that was about it. The PTA one is awful, the Hangman's Gambit was just about impossible to do well on in certain instances, and the sword fight was awkward because you had to be slashing most of the time, but never had a convenient time to change to the correct blade.

Things I enjoyed:

1. Both games I really liked roughly half the characters. Then the rest ranged from awful to bearable/boring. Standouts were definitely Ghundam, Nekomaru, and Chiaki.

2. I liked the 3rd, 4th, and 5th cases. I was not able to guess any of them correctly beforehand. For the 5th case
I did guess that Nagito was going to trick someone into unknowingly kill him, but I wasn't sure who or how

3. Ending Spoilers
Besides all the needless hope/despair ranting that I have become numb too, I did enjoy how the ending played out. I didn't see the whole virtual world thing coming until the glitching happened, I was wondering how random shit was being done on the island like the Mono Beasts and uh.. chicken/cow thing. So I guess that gets explained by being a virtual world. Then I enjoyed the twist of everyone being the bad guys locked in the game. I especially liked the little gruesome details of what the Remnants had sacrificed and how it was represented by their in-game characters. I didn't catch what Sonia/Kazuichi had sacrificed though.

I was a little confused on exactly how the Remnants came out of the game after forcing the shutdown as their new selves. Was that just supposed to defy the logic the game had laid out before hand because Hajime "believed!" hard enough?

I'm interested to see where the 3rd game goes with the plot because I feel most things between the first two games have been wrapped up. I haven't looked into it, but I feel like if they want to have a similar mystery format, they are going to have a new set of Ultimate's go into a new Hope's Peak Academy and a new villain is going to have a new agenda.

Overall I'd probably give the first game a B/B+ and this game a B-. I definitely prefer the tone/story telling of the 999/VLR games and the case formats of the Phoenix Wright games more.

2. Other than that I wish they would have chosen some of the remaining characters at the end better. Ending Spoilers:
Kazuichi was by far, far the least interesting male character. He really added nothing at all to the game besides filling a spot. Ghundam or Metalmaru should have stayed after the 4th case
. I guess this is a matter of personal preference.
Honestly, I feel like Kazuichi mainly survives exactly because few would actually care either way if he died.

I was a little confused on exactly how the Remnants came out of the game after forcing the shutdown as their new selves. Was that just supposed to defy the logic the game had laid out before hand because Hajime "believed!" hard enough?
Did they really? Even Naegi and co are unsure whether that works, yar?

tauke

Finally finished the game...
and I absolutely despise the final case where they keep bloody drag the hope/despair things courtesy of Junko. This is not a weekly anime series where I need to be constantly reminded of everything for every few minutes.

Nice plot development and twist for Case 6 but again, I just hate how they like to leave the outcome of some scenario unanswered just like the first game. Compared to Ace Attorney series, it is more like the developer prefer the players to wait for the next game/novel/anime to fill in about what happen next.

I don't think I'll do the other bonus minigames like the Island Mode but overall I kinda mixed with the sequel.

Still Nagito is a great character to me.

Honestly, I feel like Kazuichi mainly survives exactly because few would actually care either way if he died.

Did they really? Even Naegi and co are unsure whether that works, yar?

End Game:
Well at least Hajime came out with the same body he had in game, unlike what they had shown him to look like in Case 0, aka before he entered the virtual world.

GoldStarz

End Game:
Well at least Hajime came out with the same body he had in game, unlike what they had shown him to look like in Case 0, aka before he entered the virtual world.

He probably just got a hair cut and a change of clothes. They were in that VR sim for who knows how long, there's no way they didn't have clothes on-hand

He probably just got a hair cut and a change of clothes. They were in that VR sim for who knows how long, there's no way they didn't have clothes on-hand
I've said before that the most likely explanation is
That they were undergoing repairs to their bodies while in the simulation. Not everything is repairable, but Hajime would've been on the easy end

You think theyre going to kill my boy Yasushiro in DR3?

I could see it. The shattered crystal ball in the teaser image doesn't exactly make me optimistic for him, but it could also be a fake out. Whether or not it does end up being him, I figure at least one of the 4 from Hope's Peak's 78th class is going to bite it.

mainvisual2.jpg

GoldStarz

You think theyre going to kill my boy Yasushiro in DR3?

He or Kazuo is my prediction for opening kill tbh

Nah, he's a lucky dumbass in the company of elites. That's like invincible mode.

He was chased down by the mob, failed school several times, became friends with a crazy incestuous girl who wants to destroy the organization he works, and was framed no less than THREE TIMES in DanganRonpa 1. Dude is not exactly what I would call 'lucky'.

AHA-Lambda

I posted this in the steam thread too but a few questions if you don't mind

OK, just finished it last night, couple thoughts and questions:

ok, so the upcoming Danganronpa V3 is a reboot yes? and the Daganronpa 3 anime is the follow up to this? But that anime takes place in between D1 and D2?
That's disappointing, no? It feels like there is a lot of ground left to cover still in the universe, given that they still say
the tragedy is ongoing
as well as the revelations that
hope's peak was literally experimenting on pupil's
, that's a concept rife for more exploration!

Apart from that, the ending was a huge info dump but I think I followed most of it, except a couple things

1)
how was Junko alter ego created? It was said the ultimate programmer's skill was stolen? any clarification on that?

2)
so the remnants of despair all planned to willingly go into the simulation and upload the virus yes?

3)
why did alter ego Junko even want Makoto and the others to enter the simulation? there was a big speech about how hajima and co were bait but they made zero difference to what was happening, if anything is shot her in the foot. She could have got them to graduate without them appearing so why want them there at all?

4)
if Hajime was Izuru, why did he look just like Hajime after leaving the simulation?

I posted this in the steam thread too but a few questions if you don't mind

I'm pretty certain that that the Danganronpa 3 anime is not set between the first and the second game. As far as I know, it is divided into two segments: the "Despair Volume", a prequel about the fall of Hajime's class into Ultimate Despair and the "Future Volume" a sequel to second game about Naegi and the Future Foundation.

1) I have no idea about this.

2) Izuru is the one confirmed to actually come for the intent of the uploading the virus. I doubt most of the other remnants are actually in on the plan considering that they don't seem to actually know Izuru, anyway.

3) Apart from a simple revenge motivation (trap you here forever mwahahahah), a part of Junko's character is to intentionally set herself up for the possibility of a grand failure so that she could experience, like, the most tremendous despair.

4) Izuru looks healthy and whole to begin with. A simple haircut would restore his appearance no problem.

So apparently a manga tie-in to DanganRonpa 3 just stealth dropped today in Japan called "DanganRonpa Gaiden Killer Killer"

Apparently this manga has begun serialization since March as simply "Killer Killer", but only on this month's chapter it is revealed to be a Danganronpa spin-off.

That's... quaint. I wonder if there's a thematic reason for such a maneuver.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I sure hope Dark Horse will get on with localizing all the other manga/novels. More just keep popping up!

GoldStarz

Oh something worth noting that the manga revealed is that
Makoto is fucking dead
, but it could be a misdirect given how DanganRonpa is.

GoldStarz

Someone posted a summary of DanganRonpa Gaiden's story so far (up to today's chapter).

Warning though, it contains spoilers for DR1, DR2, and has graphic violence (I mean it's DR so that part should be obvious but still)

I sure hope Dark Horse will get on with localizing all the other manga/novels. More just keep popping up!
Did Dark Horse use the localized terminology. I can get not using it for The Animation's manga, but if they're gonna do stuff related to the games, especially stuff that's canon like /Zero; Kirigiri; or Gaiden, they really should try to stay on the same page as NISA.

Did Dark Horse use the localized terminology. I can get not using it for The Animation's manga, but if they're gonna do stuff related to the games, especially stuff that's canon like /Zero; Kirigiri; or Gaiden, they really should try to stay on the same page as NISA.
I can confirm that dark horse uses "Ultimate" and the other NISA terminology for the manga, as opposed to "SHSL" like Funi's dub.

Same! I bought the manga to show support, really hoping it's a success for them.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Same! I bought the manga to show support, really hoping it's a success for them.

Just got my copy of vol 1 today! Rightstuf had a Dark Horse sale, so got that and pre-ordered vol 2. One good sign is that they actually sold out of vol 1 during launch! So, it did succeed their supply.

GoldStarz

I can confirm that dark horse uses "Ultimate" and the other NISA terminology for the manga, as opposed to "SHSL" like Funi's dub.
That's good to hear! Really hope they translate DanganRonpa /Zero because more people need to read that.
tbh spike-chun probably should've tried to see if they could put it in as a dr1 bonus or something imo but I don't know if that's technically possible

Speaking of Funi, I really hope they don't pick up DanganRonpa 3. NISA really should be the one to dub DR3 seeing as they did every other part of the series so far. Also, after Funi's hack job
although I hear it's so-bad-it's-good territory
with the dub, I don't trust them to do DR3 justice at all.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Funi, I really hope they don't pick up DanganRonpa 3. NISA really should be the one to dub DR3 seeing as they did every other part of the series so far. Also, after Funi's hack job

I'm sub-only for Danganronpa, but I heard that the dub was pretty bad. Not sure what's up with NISA and their anime department. Recently they've only been putting out standard editions and Live-Love, and that's it. I think competition in getting localized bids in is getting tougher, right now. DR3 will undoubtly go to Funi again.

That's good to hear!

One slight note about the manga, they do refer to each other by their last names as opposed to their first names, but everything is similar other than that.

I'm sub-only for Danganronpa, but I heard that the dub was pretty bad. Not sure what's up with NISA and their anime department. Recently they've only been putting out standard editions and Live-Love, and that's it. I think competition in getting localized bids in is getting tougher, right now. DR3 will undoubtly go to Funi again.

The Funi dub wasn't great. NISA did a much better job on that front. However, based on what AniHawk has said, it sounds like NISA is winding down their anime department outside of Love Live, which was apparently their only real success.

I'm holding out hope that they do DR3. I think that would be another hit, they could easily get the same dub VOs, and there's a chance they'd include extra goodies. That said, I do have a feeling that it'll go to Funi.

Geez, makes me wish Dark Horse got the Steins;Gate manga. Udon Entertainment made so many terminology mistakes in that...

GoldStarz

The Funi dub wasn't great. NISA did a much better job on that front. However, based on what AniHawk has said, it sounds like NISA is winding down their anime department outside of Love Live, which was apparently their only real success.

I'm holding out hope that they do DR3. I think that would be another hit, they could easily get the same dub VOs, and there's a chance they'd include extra goodies. That said, I do have a feeling that it'll go to Funi.

Man, I hope not. I don't even know why Funi would want it. Most DR fans think of the dub as a joke (like literally, as in hilariously bad) and there isn't and isn't going to be a DR2 anime to bridge the gap. It would really fucking suck if Funi swept this one, especially because then I'd have to sub to their crappy stream service instead of just getting Crunchyroll.

We'll find out in a few weeks I guess.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Ah Love Live. I always get it mixed up... Wow that it's been their only success! I thought they were doing better than that, as I heard bow cons had a hard time keeping their premium editions on stock. Toradora I thought did super well too (including the re-release w/dub).

I figured it was a competition thing. We are in another rise in anime/manga popularity since the bubble burst of the early 2000s, which is great that they are becoming big again :) Thank you, streaming sites like CR!

Geez, makes me wish Dark Horse got the Steins;Gate manga. Udon Entertainment made so many terminology mistakes in that...

That kind of surprises me. I only know about their artbooks, but I figured they'd be pretty reliable with translations.

Ah Love Live. I always get it mixed up... Wow that it's been their only success! I thought they were doing better than that, as I heard bow cons had a hard time keeping their premium editions on stock. Toradora I thought did super well too (including the re-release w/dub).

I figured it was a competition thing. We are in another rise in anime/manga popularity since the bubble burst of the early 2000s, which is great that they are becoming big again :) Thank you, streaming sites like CR!

I forgot they did Toradora. I would think that would've been a moderate success for them. Maybe it just didn't print money like Love Live has, I believe they've reprinted that a few times as opposed to the one time for Toradora.

It does sound like a competition thing too. Funi probably has more money to put up for the series, and they already did the first one. Quality issues aside, that probably does count for something.

We'll find out in a few weeks I guess.

The one thing I'll say is that NISA probably wouldn't be timely with the release. Funi would probably have the subs and stuff available much quicker online (simulcast a la One Piece in my dreams), whereas you'd probably have to wait longer for anything official if it was coming from NISA. A fair trade in my mind, as NISA would probably deliver the package I prefer.

Being fair to Funi, they've produced good stuff in the past. I quite enjoy their work on One Piece. Danganronpa just wasn't their best. Hopefully if they get it they'll get the same VOs and use the same terminology.

GoldStarz

The one thing I'll say is that NISA probably wouldn't be timely with the release. Funi would probably have the subs and stuff available much quicker online (simulcast a la One Piece in my dreams), whereas you'd probably have to wait longer for anything official if it was coming from NISA. A fair trade in my mind, as NISA would probably deliver the package I prefer.

Being fair to Funi, they've produced good stuff in the past. I quite enjoy their work on One Piece. Danganronpa just wasn't their best. Hopefully if they get it they'll get the same VOs and use the same terminology.

If Funi decided to work alongside NISA, I would be content with that. I'll also be fair to Funi and say that according to Caitlin Glass, they were recording the anime around the same time as the game so it's totally possible the two weren't even aware of each other.
Honestly, I think that DR was meant to be a half-serious dub given how it deviates in characterization and dialogue at times and when they realized they'd be releasing the same year as a proper localization of the source material they backed off a bit.
Hopefully now that NISA has established themselves as the primary DR distributor in English-speaking territories, Funi will want to work with them to deliver a product that works for both of them.

That kind of surprises me. I only know about their artbooks, but I figured they'd be pretty reliable with translations.

Oh believe me, it's baaaad. Translating (minor Steins;Gate spoiler)
FB as The FBI
is beyond incompetent.

But this is a bit off-topic, so I'll stop hijacking the thread now. Moral of the story, be thankful when you get consistent localizations.

PK Gaming

Someone posted a summary of DanganRonpa Gaiden's story so far (up to today's chapter).

Warning though, it contains spoilers for DR1, DR2, and has graphic violence (I mean it's DR so that part should be obvious but still)

Thought this was stupid at first but there is some incredibly good shit in here

tumblr_inline_o6x8maGwBd1ro8ej0_500.jpg

30 points, better luck next time

Theodoricos

So I recently beat both DR1 and DR2 and I've fallen in love with this series. It's just so damn good. I love the way it mixes silly humor and its darker themes and story.

I keep hearing about a DR0 novel that's apparently very highly regarded, but I can't seem to find it translated anywhere online (no official translation that I know of). Where are people reading the novel from?

Top Bottom