• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

The thing is I don't plan to ever play 999. I don't like playing games on DS or 3DS, so does that just mean never play VLR even though it's still supposedly an amazing game? What if I just read a page with full plot spoilers for 999, then play VLR?

VLR is part 2 in the Zero Escape series. It is a direct sequel, not a self-contained story. The reason it's an amazing game is partially due to what came before it.

If you have a 3DS, I would say try to get over your no-trophy phobia if you want an experience that is more than worth it.

pariah164

lol. That's certainly an interesting thought that never crossed by mind before, but no, it has to be a trophy attached to my PSN account.
I read the post you linked, and even now, this seems extremely shallow to me. I mean, I like trophies as much as anyone. I was thrilled when I got my Vita and went 'yaaaay, cheevos', but at the same time, really good games stick with me. They're in my memory. Whenever someone brings up 999, my mind flashes back to it, and usually, I end up playing it again. Gaming is about the experience, about the feelings and stories it leaves with you.

So this thread doesn't get completely derailed:

tumblr_mv70p1mSAW1s4zsgso1_400.gif

Labrys

anyway. i finished the second case tonight.

even though i've already played the game 3-fold, with the english voices this has been a very fresh experience for me.

Labrys

I really think the English VAs are stellar. Most of the characters were spot on.

i agree. the only one i found iffy was Sakura's at first, but it has gotten a lot better past the first trial. i think it just took me a while to get used to the english gruffness opposed to the japanese kind

pariah164

i agree. the only one i found iffy was Sakura's at first, but it has gotten a lot better past the first trial. i think it just took me a while to get used to the english gruffness opposed to the japanese kind
Sakura's gets better as time goes on, yes. I played a couple of trials in Japanese and the magic just. Wasn't there for me.

Labrys

Sakura's gets better as time goes on, yes. I played a couple of trials in Japanese and the magic just. Wasn't there for me.

i was introduced to the game in japanese so that track will always be somewhere in my mind while playing, but i'd say the english performances are on the same level as the japanese ones
chpt. 2 spoilers
Genocide Jack in particular, hot damn, she did a fantastic job and it matched Miyuki Sawashiro's performance really well

pariah164

i was introduced to the game in japanese so that track will always be somewhere in my mind while playing, but i'd say the english performances are on the same level as the japanese ones
chpt. 2 spoilers
Genocide Jack in particular, hot damn, she did a fantastic job and it matched Miyuki Sawashiro's performance really well
Oh, yeah. Erin Fitzgerald nailed Genocide Jill's personality. Manic and loud when needed, cold and serious also when needed. Just fantastic.

Flandy

Just finished the Epilogue and watched the post credit scene. I don't even know what to type gaf.

Is the sequel spoiler:
continuing where we left off or is it a different set of characters?

Just finished the Epilogue and watched the post credit scene. I don't even know what to type gaf.

Is the sequel spoiler:
continuing where we left off or is it a different set of characters?

A completely different set of characters, besides well Monokuma.

Flandy

I don't know if I'd recommend asking too many questions about the sequel.

:( I want to look up stuff for the original I'm afraid I'll run into spoilers :(

Somehow I missed something in the Gallery section. It's between
Mystery Photo (1) and Cash Money. What did I miss and how do I obtain it?
I also missed the final Movie in the Movie Gallery. How do I unlock that?

pariah164

:( I want to look up stuff for the original I'm afraid I'll run into spoilers :(

I also missed the final Movie in the Movie Gallery. How do I unlock that?
You have to find a certain item in the Monokuma Machine.

FluxWaveZ

Danganronpa 2 spoilers are easy to come across, it seems. I've seen a couple of things that might have been spoilers for DR2 from Youtube recommended videos in DR1 OST vids myself.

And the scene you're missing is probably
the scene where Monokuma suggests that the boys spy on the girls who are taking a bath during the first chapter, I believe, and Makoto says he respects them too much for that. The scene changes if you have a certain item before initiating it.

Flandy

Danganronpa 2 spoilers are easy to come across, it seems. I've seen a couple of things that might have been spoilers for DR2 from Youtube recommended videos in DR1 OST vids myself.

And the scene you're missing is probably
the scene where Monokuma suggests that the boys spy on the girls who are taking a bath during the first chapter, I believe, and Makoto says he respects them too much for that. The scene changes if you have a certain item before initiating it.

2 should come out. Like nao.

Maybe I'll give the school mode a try out.

How similar is the fan translation to the localization? I saw Monokuma being referred to as Monobear or something. What term will the fandom use? :O

2 should come out. Like nao.

Maybe I'll give the school mode a try out.

How similar is the fan translation to the localization? I saw Monokuma being referred to as Monobear or something. What term will the fandom use? :O

There are some similarities I saw, but there are some differences from what I saw too of it, but even I haven't seen that much of the fan translation to give an opinion either way. I would say that a lot of people just use Spike Chunsoft's official name Monokuma, TBH it sounds a lot better than Monobear in my opinion, which came off as a little awkward to say.

Flandy

Going to check out the Anime. I mean it can't be THAAAT bad since the game came with a a piece of paper advertising it. Right?

Alfredo

Just finished the game. It's funny how
cosplayers
spoiled the crap out of this game for me. Like
Junko cosplayers cosplaying as "Real" Junko and Toko cosplayers cosplaying as her "Genocide" personality...and to a lesser extent, a Kyoko cosplayer with a ramen cup on her head.
Oh well. It's my fault for waiting so damn long to follow this game.

Anyway. Interesting game. I have a lot of problems with how the trials work, mainly because I can't help but compare them to how Ace Attorney does them.

I didn't really like how the little mini games don't really have any correlation to how people actually deduce the truth. Arbitrary hangman and rhythm games? Seems just thrown in there to add in more game mechanics.

I was also disappointed that completing these mini games sometimes robs you of solving the case by your own reasoning, as the truth instantly becomes revealed because you played a random mini game instead of your revealing it yourself by presenting the right evidence. Then again, maybe the game just assumes you already know what happened at that point, as was often the case in my playthrough. Still, that great "Aha!" feeling you get from something like Ace Attorney often felt absent because of stuff like this.

Even with those complaints, it was a fun ride with some great characters.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished chapter 2. Reinforces my inital impressions:

1) loving the game overall! Story telling, character interaction and investigation - top notch.

2) not loving the trial parts too much. I apreciate what they have gone for here, trying to make the player feel under pressure and such, but there's just too much stuff going on in the trial. Hangman game, rhytm game, and why do I have to shoot down flying lines of text to make a fucking argument. argh. It feels like being forced to do a lot of mechanical interaction, just to reach an inevitable conclusion.

ZeroX03

Banned
Weird question: are there any spoilers in the soundtrack? Track names being the obvious culprit.

I want to listen but don't want to be spoiled, I'm only on Chapter 1. And God knows YouTube descriptions/comment sections are no place to be.

Weird question: are there any spoilers in the soundtrack? Track names being the obvious culprit.

I want to listen but don't want to be spoiled, I'm only on Chapter 1. And God knows YouTube descriptions/comment sections are no place to be.
I believe the song names have some spoilers in it, I think? At least I remember someone saying this here.

Rule of thumb: everything is a spoiler until you finish the game. Don't search anything related to this game - specially images, you'll get a billion tumblr posts with spoilers from the game or the anime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The OST KIND OF does with some of the track names, but it's more of connecting the dots, as I didn't understand what they meant until afterwards reaching the chapter endings & taking another look. Though it would be advised to not listen to certain tracks since they're the songs that play during executions, sounds & all.

Burbeting

Banned
Finished the game, liked it :). Had some gripes with it, like character design, but over-all was positive experience.

I felt the masterminds identity was kinda lazy cop-out, but the final trial itself was magnificent.

Finished the game, liked it :). Had some gripes with it, like character design, but over-all was positive experience.

I felt the masterminds identity was kinda lazy cop-out, but the final trial itself was magnificent.

I was okay with that because of the quality of the whole thing.
The truth was made better by the journey. Otherwise, it was a standard reveal, but of course most of the fun was figuring it all out on your own and filling in the gaps.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The Japanese voice acting is really good. I selected Japanese at the offset, and wanted to switch after the prologue just to give it a whirl, but it doesn't let you in the options (didn't know about Chapter Select at that point).

Particularly
Toko and Junko are amazing.

Maybe I'll go back and play through some of the cases in English, but the Japanese voices seemed spot on.

LiK

The Japanese voice acting is really good. I selected Japanese at the offset, and wanted to switch after the prologue just to give it a whirl, but it doesn't let you in the options (didn't know about Chapter Select at that point).

Particularly

Maybe I'll go back and play through some of the cases in English, but the Japanese voices seemed spot on.

Play in English. All the performances were excellent. The trials in particularly were pretty amazing. The sex jokes comes out so great in English too,

I tried JPN, and I really didn't like Hina's voice compared to her English counterpart,

AkuMifune

Banned

Particularly

Funny enough I started this last night and played through the prologue twice to decide which way to continue, but think I'll stick with Japanese. The characters are so...anime that I can't take them seriously in English. It's one of the reasons I never made it more than two hours into VLR, I just found everyone too ridiculous to care about. (Maybe if I had played 999...)

I know, I'm an old man. But I think the characters are much better in this and I'm genuinely interested in the story so I'm going to stick it out. Looking forward to getting back to it, just trying to avoid spoilers is getting harder!

Maybe cause I remember Chapter 3's trial more than Chapter 2's, but I was really itching for me to just scream out the answer in front of everyone while they were meandering around back and forth with the clues and crap.

Though I guess I was more pleased the Super Duper Prick wasn't being much of a prick this time.

Top Bottom