• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

LProtag

Just wondering, the game mentioned something about what happens when you try to use concentrate during a Bullet Time Battle while the opponent is slowing everything down.

I've tried using it and it doesn't seem like it does anything. I'm a bit confused here, were they just saying "try it out and you'll find it doesn't work"? Or am I missing something?

Just wondering, the game mentioned something about what happens when you try to use concentrate during a Bullet Time Battle while the opponent is slowing everything down.

I've tried using it and it doesn't seem like it does anything. I'm a bit confused here, were they just saying "try it out and you'll find it doesn't work"? Or am I missing something?
Concentrating on bullet time battles lets you shoot arguments without timing.

Just finished chapter one. Presentation is absolutely AMAZING but the whole first murder felt really lame. When I was asked to select a difficulty I thought it will be like Silent Hill, so I selected highest difficulty hoping to get some gruesome puzzles down the way. In reality investigation part wasn't changed at all and only court system supposed to be somewhat harder (still disgustingly easy and streamlined). I wish they designed game the way so that with higher difficulties you will get less clues and evidence to work with in court sections.
And now about murder:
3 minutes in and you already know who the killer is. This whole trope of "digits = name" is so overused in this genre, and this time it feels like they weren't even trying to hide it. What baffles me is what no one managed to see it. Oh wait, that mysterious chick did see it. And what had she done with it? Nothing. Why did she need to wait till trial when she could declare murderer right there? In AA5 they also straight away gave you the murderer identity, but at least it was shown only to player so that Phoenix and co still had to find it for themselves. So mysterious chick is withholding truth and main character is under suspicion, but that doesn't stop everyone to talk absolutely nonchalantly and casually to him like nothing even happened. After you find out the whole truth of incident, another wuestion arises - why did Maizono even go for a knife when she already had perfect tool for her plan, namely that golden sword? I can understand that it could be heavy enough for her to lift it, but it was never specifically stated IIRC.

FluxWaveZ

3 minutes in and you already know who the killer is. This whole trope of "digits = name" is so overused in this genre, and this time it feels like they weren't even trying to hide it. What baffles me is what no one managed to see it. Oh wait, that mysterious chick did see it. And what had she done with it? Nothing. Why did she need to wait till trial when she could declare murderer right there? In AA5 they also straight away gave you the murderer identity, but at least it was shown only to player so that Phoenix and co still had to find it for themselves. So mysterious chick is withholding truth and main character is under suspicion, but that doesn't stop everyone to talk absolutely nonchalantly and casually to him like nothing even happened. After you find out the whole truth of incident, another wuestion arises - why did Maizono even go for a knife when she already had perfect tool for her plan, namely that golden sword? I can understand that it could be heavy enough for her to lift it, but it was never specifically stated IIRC.

The 11037 hint was indeed a really dumb, obvious hint that the characters should have realized right away. Then again, some players didn't realize it until it was pointed out to them so maybe we're just used to the basic Ace Attorney style of evidence twist that we saw it immediately. Thankfully, there is nothing like that in any of the later cases.

And I would argue against the fact that people were talking casually to Makoto at all when he was under suspicion of murder. Reactions analogous to Toko's were abound. The suspicion was there; it's not like they were gonna jump him and tie him up or something simply because it was a suspicion.

Also I don't think the golden sword was actually a sword, but just a prop. She wouldn't have been able to easily kill someone with that as opposed to a knife, so that'd be the most logical weapon to use.

PK Gaming

Just finished chapter one. Presentation is absolutely AMAZING but the whole first murder felt really lame. When I was asked to select a difficulty I thought it will be like Silent Hill, so I selected highest difficulty hoping to get some gruesome puzzles down the way. In reality investigation part wasn't changed at all and only court system supposed to be somewhat harder (still disgustingly easy and streamlined). I wish they designed game the way so that with higher difficulties you will get less clues and evidence to work with in court sections.
And now about murder:

Well...

Re: Whole digit = name thing.
They are Japanese, so they're not very familiar with the English language, hence why it was easily overlooked. Presumably, Maizono wrote it in english because it was quicker. I don't think it's a stretch for the kids to assume that they were numbers, since numbers are universal.

Re: The golden sword
It was a replica sword. In other words, a blunt weapon. The killer struck and broke her wrists with it, remember? Had it been a real sword, she would have sustained a serious slash wound.

Kyoko wanted to see the specifics of the class trial firsthand, that's why she withheld information.

And now about murder:

About the sword: I imagine she was trying to sneak up on her victim and kill them as stealthily as possible. Having to unsheathe a large sword and then awkwardly wield it is probably one of the least stealthily way to do it besides screaming out loud you want to kill them.

Well, I beat the game a little while ago. Really fun experience, and despite stumbling on a few spoilers (one big one in particular) there were still a lot of twists that I wasn't expecting. I eagerly await the sequel.

And now about murder:

In the first case:
Knowing the killer isn't really the point. You are trying to find the circumstances surrounding the murder. Not really who did it, but why? Kyoko actually eludes to this as well. Given that, the first case is actually masterfully done. It's easy to find out who did it, but still manages to be intriguing while you find out how and why.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
In the first case:
Knowing the killer isn't really the point. You are trying to find the circumstances surrounding the murder. Not really who did it, but why? Kyoko actually eludes to this as well. Given that, the first case is actually masterfully done. It's easy to find out who did it, but still manages to be intriguing while you find out how and why.

None of the cases were shockers. Except for #2 that is. Didn't see any of that coming...

Steel

Banned
None of the cases were shockers. Except for #2 that is. Didn't see any of that coming...

Case 5 was legit surprising.
I actually thought Kyoko did it for a bit, though as time went on I figured it wasn't her. What was really surprising was her outright letting you die when you give her the benefit of the doubt. Only thing that saves you is pure luck.

Edit:

And honestly for Case 1, while everything after the murder was obivous
I had every suspicion that Maizono was going to murder someone, and I thought that's how it would go. While she was trying to murder someone like I suspected, I did not expect to find her dead.

FluxWaveZ

DanganRonpa isn't really concerned with the "Who" but the "How" and "Why"

I disagree. The methods are really interesting, of course, but I didn't outright guess the culprit right at the start of any case except for the first one, and I liked that. It would have been less enjoyable if the culprit was explicitly shown from the very start for each case and all that was left was the "how" and "why."

PK Gaming

I disagree. The methods are really interesting, of course, but I didn't outright guess the culprit right at the start of any case except for the first one, and I liked that. It would have been less enjoyable if the culprit was explicitly shown from the very start for each case and all that was left was the "how" and "why."

Perhaps I used the wrong choice of words.

You're right, the "who" will always be important in a whodunit and it was kind of silly of me to suggest otherwise. But that said, I feel like the "who" is comparatively less important in DR. The identity of the culprit is only important for a few of the cases; tthe game drops some serious hints for a couple of the murders, like in case 3, 4, and 5/6, which lessens the importance of the "who" but always leaves you wondering "why", though to be fair it does make you second and triple guess yourself.

(endgame spoilers)
I feel like the 6th case outright spell out whole the main culprit is. The "victim" in the 5th case had red nails and boots that matches Junko (something you might not have noticed during the 5th chapter, but definitely should have noticed when you were encouraged to "count the number of victims" at the morgue. You are given Mukuru Ikusaba's measurements and they match Junko's flawlessly, and the first group photo has her face covered; all damning evidence on their own right, but even knowing all of that didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

LProtag

Just beat Chapter 5 and I have a bunch of stuff running through my head right now. I feel like the game is throwing me into confusion in order to punch me in the gut with something intense soon.

Noi

It works even when the everything is slowed down (I forgot the name of the status, but when the opponent is using something against you)?

The opponent using something against you means when they use focus and turn your bar invisible. If you use your focus during that time, then you can keep the beat even without being able to see when you're supposed to tap correctly.

Voror

So...should I
tell Kyoko about Sakura probably being the traitor?
I have this feeling that I shouldn't for some reason, though I'm not sure Kyoko has any right to demand secrets out of me
after that stunt with the secret room.

Noi

So...should I
I have this feeling that I shouldn't for some reason, though I'm not sure Kyoko has any right to demand secrets out of me

But thou must! (not)

So...should I

You only really have 1 choice.

So...should I

Oh come on, Kirigiri almost got you killed. That's no big deal!

Rnr1224

will probably pick this up once i finish 999 and VLR. Im really starting to get into visual novel games so this seems right up my alley.

LProtag

Just starting Chapter 6 and I have some theories already.

At first I'm thinking it's got to be someone who died early, so maybe Junko, because she was the only one that died under circumstances that could be controlled by the game and would be impossible to interfere with. Her death was the only one that wasn't a result of other people doing something, I think. Though she's dead. Though I just found the lockers and maybe everyone in the school is a clone? Or they just lived in the school for a year. That would explain the photos. Maybe they're the ones that died in the Tragedy and it's happening again? Maybe this is the Tragedy. I should keep playing.

Edit: Eh okay I went in another room and suddenly none of my theories make too much sense, haha.

New theory: it's everyone

tookhster

So I really wanna pick this up, but would you guys say it's worth 40 bucks if I LOVE the Ace Attorney series and the high school-ish setting of Persona 4 with distinctive characters, but didn't really like the puzzles and death traps in 999 and VLR? I didn't finish both of those because the puzzles felt like they were getting in the way of the story, and I'm not big on touch screen puzzle games.

FluxWaveZ

So I really wanna pick this up, but would you guys say it's worth 40 bucks if I LOVE the Ace Attorney series and the high school-ish setting of Persona 4 with distinctive characters, but didn't really like the puzzles and death traps in 999 and VLR?

YES

For one, there are no puzzles like in the ZE series. Any puzzle is in the form of the Ace Attorney like intrigue revolving around evidence and murder.

LiK

So I really wanna pick this up, but would you guys say it's worth 40 bucks if I LOVE the Ace Attorney series and the high school-ish setting of Persona 4 with distinctive characters, but didn't really like the puzzles and death traps in 999 and VLR? I didn't finish both of those because the puzzles felt like they were getting in the way of the story, and I'm not big on touch screen puzzle games.

well, i would say finish 999/VLR with a guide if you need help with puzzles cuz the stories are worth it.

but yes, get this game.

Trigger

Absolutely. There aren't any puzzles in this game. It's all logically refuting arguments and chillin with your not-murdered high school pals. Just make sure to set the action mini games to the lowest difficulty.

tookhster

well, i would say finish 999/VLR with a guide if you need help with puzzles cuz the stories are worth it.

but yes, get this game.

Absolutely. There aren't any puzzles in this game. It's all logically refuting arguments and chillin with your not-murdered high school pals. Just make sure to set the action mini games to the lowest difficulty.

Alright, thanks guys. Ima give it a shot.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm having a hard time collecting materials in school mode. Any tips?

pariah164

TOOLS. Seriously, make the tools as soon as possible. I recommend getting the one that reduces HP used during gathering first, then get the others. I had problems with this too, but now? So easy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Level characters up. I just started this today & got a lot of advice in the spoiler thread about School Mode. Basically, your first playthrough should be focusing on getting any remaining Report Card info/relationship level taken care of & leveling up your characters' mining so it's easier to get the materials that you need for future attempts since levels transfer over. It's pretty much flat-out impossible to finish all the requests on your first playthough. It's gonna take a couple of attempts of leveling & such in order to get the materials that you need.

TOOLS. Seriously, make the tools as soon as possible. I recommend getting the one that reduces HP used during gathering first, then get the others. I had problems with this too, but now? So easy.
This too. Try to get materials for Cheat Sheets since you can use them to level up a character's gathering level which'll transfer over to the next playthrough.

So I'm probably not going to get my LE today (yes, still) because the mailman is taking too long to deliver it before the office closes.

Whyyyyyyyy is my package so cursed.

Big 999/VLR/Phoenix fan...

I really hope the game improves as it goes along, as the first case didn't impress me.
The obvious guilty party and the awkward end-case mechanic.

Interested in the "why" rather than the characters right now too, which is so different to how I felt about those other titles.

LiK

Big 999/VLR/Phoenix fan...

I really hope the game improves as it goes along, as the first case didn't impress me.
The obvious guilty party and the awkward end-case mechanic.

Interested in the "why" rather than the characters right now too, which is so different to how I felt about those other titles.

first case is just a tutorial, enjoy the wild ride! you WILL love the characters, if not, i will eat my hat.

Top Bottom