• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

PK Gaming

Oh don't worry, I was mainly just messing around.
the spoiler tag says "i don't know", don't worry about it
i'd advise against ALL mentions of masterminds/victims in this thread though. it takes one person getting it right for the whole experience to be ruined
Gotcha.

Yasumi

Banned
I don't want spoilers of what happens or anything, but how are endings done mechanically in this?

Is it like 999 with the True, Good and Bad endings, and having to replay to get the True End?

Only one ending. There are a couple of what-ifs here and there though.

Sandfox

I don't want spoilers of what happens or anything, but how are endings done mechanically in this?

Is it like 999 with the True, Good and Bad endings, and having to replay to get the True End?

Its not a spoiler but I tag it for the people who don't want to know
There is the normal ending and a bad ending.

Prelude.

There's only one ending. There's also a little "deviation" but it's not exactly an ending.

Labrys

technically one ending, you can get to it your first play through

outside of freetime events there is very little decision making, the story stays on line no matter what other things you do

Only two endings with the bad ending letting you reload to where you made your ending choice.

Whole game is pretty easy and casual game play wise compare to others so don't worry.

Axiom

I really don't get the waifu stuff, the game has fan service but it's relatively restrained from what I recall.

It's like randomly picking Larry Butz your waifu before Phoenix Wright comes out. Sure you can do it, but it's not that kind of game and the social link stuff doesn't progress relationships in the same way Persona does.

When you get closer to chosen cast members through the social link style stuff, you're getting to know them better and learning things about them that may colour or help you understand stuff that happens later, you aren't getting to rank 10 and having a romance with Yamada.

This is a fantastic game and a great middle ground between Ace Attorney and Zero Escape, but don't get the wrong impression about the content

Though if you want to go Tumblr
Mondo/Ishimaru OTP

Zafir

Only two endings with the bad ending letting you reload to where you made your ending choice.

Whole game is pretty easy and casual game play wise compare to others so don't worry.
To be fair, it's not really the bad endings or difficulty or whatever that bugged, me, I just disliked how it seemed to be a bit of guess work what are the right doors to take, and then you have to start over and redo sections you'd already done.

Mind you, maybe there was some logic, as I know I did the true ending path without checking or anything,
but naturally couldn't get that ending as I didn't have the good ending, thus I got an axe in the back
instead. =/

I hope some retail store has it in stock here in Mexico. I've looked everywhere and no luck :( I really want to get as soon as it comes out but I don't want the downloadable version...

I really don't get the waifu stuff, the game has fan service but it's relatively restrained from what I recall.

It's like randomly picking Larry Butz your waifu before Phoenix Wright comes out. Sure you can do it, but it's not that kind of game and the social link stuff doesn't progress relationships in the same way Persona does.

When you get closer to chosen cast members through the social link style stuff, you're getting to know them better and learning things about them that may colour or help you understand stuff that happens later, you aren't getting to rank 10 and having a romance with Yamada.

This is a fantastic game and a great middle ground between Ace Attorney and Zero Escape, but don't get the wrong impression about the content

Mondo/Ishimaru OTP

My recommendation: Don't go to Tumblr because chances are you'll spoiler yourself for the second game even just when searching general stuff.

I did :(

Dugna

I downloaded this earlier today (review copy from NIS PR) but I didn't play it much because I wanted to get my Wolf Among Us review out of the way first.

But here's a gallery of screenshots I took during the prologue. None of them are spoilery, and they're all suitable for use as Vita wallpapers. Enjoy! Feel free to add them to the OP if you want.

That last picture that is black and white and has all of their portraits, that is from the game? Don't think I've seen it in the PSP version.

Amir0x

Banned
While this is Vita's killer app, I wouldn't expect you to get it. IIRC, you are a Phoenix Wright fan, so that may be good. Can't remember if you ever played 999/VLR.

I played 999, wasn't for me. But when I researched DaganRonpa, it seems it does a lot to distinguish itself from those. I mean I'm getting it with credit I have so I'm not paying for it so it seemed like a no-brainer...

Prelude.

I downloaded this earlier today (review copy from NIS PR) but I didn't play it much because I wanted to get my Wolf Among Us review out of the way first.

But here's a gallery of screenshots I took during the prologue. None of them are spoilery, and they're all suitable for use as Vita wallpapers. Enjoy! Feel free to add them to the OP if you want.

Can you take a screenshot of the "cut-outs"? I'm curious to see how they are on the Vita.

Axiom

My recommendation: Don't go to Tumblr because chances are you'll spoiler yourself for the second game even just when searching general stuff.

Yeah, since following the first Something Awful LP, I've basically banned myself from ever searching for Dangan Ronpa anything to avoid any spoilers. You can't image search and can't even look at a Youtube trailer without getting spoilers in related videos or 'recommended' to you.

However I certainly know the reputation of the Tumblr spoilers and even had bad experiences with Tumblr fans. I praised some DR cosplayers at a con once and they gave me a dirty look for saying 'Monobear' instead of 'Monokuma'

Mondo/Ishimaru OTP

Everyone has a favorite character and getting invested if they survive until the end is just part of the fun.

really you should probably just avoid the internet outright while playing danganronpa because in all likelihood you will be unceremoniously spoiled about something in one way or another

mine was via youtube recommendations :(

but seriously, anyone playing the game needs to be on high alert, and basically never search anything about it ever

Isotope

Is this game pretty much what the anime was (Which I absolutely regret watching now)?

Really would love to play this not knowing what would happen. :(

Hell, just image searching Dangan Ronpa on Google spoils the mastermind before the third row of pics.

So yeah, avoid everything. Specially Tumblr for multiple reasons.

Yasumi

Banned
Is this game pretty much what the anime was (Which I absolutely regret watching now)?

Personally, nothing compares to spotting the contradictions and blowing them apart yourself. Play on hard mode (I think the Vita version still has it), and you should be able to enjoy it. A lot of us are going into it already having beaten the PSP version. It's a fun game on its own.

Well yes, the anime is basically the bare bones version of the plot.

The game has more details on the murders, all the characterization the anime cut out, what actually happens during investigation and basically all the scenes again from the anime just on that Vita screen.

Isotope

The anime is fucking horrible, the game is fantastic.

Personally, nothing compares to spotting the contradictions and blowing them apart yourself. Play on hard mode (I think the Vita version still has it), and you should be able to enjoy it. A lot of us are going into it already having beaten the PSP version. It's a fun game on its own.

Alright then, good enough for me. Went from a maybe to a Must-Buy now. Thanks; hopefully the sales will be good enough to being the sequel over!

Are there multiple endings?

Not really, no. There's a sort of 'game over' with a 'special cutscene' and such at a certain point in the game though. When the choice option comes up during that specific part you should be able to figure out which one is the 'bad ending' and which one is the 'good ending' I guess.

The anime is pretty bad, even though I watched like only 4 or 5 episodes before I stopped. Because I wanted to play the games, instead of fulling knowing what was going on completely. The issue is that it cuts out a lot of the important characterization, the investigation part is almost completely gloosed over, they reused the FMVs from the games( which are pretty jarring compared to the shows animation), and while there are amusing bits here and there,this didn't help the show from being kind of mediocre. And it was done by the same director of Devil Survivor 2 anime adaption, which was aired a few months Danganronpa aired. And that was a pretty bad adaption in of itself.

I'm excited for the game, time get ready for some......DESPAIR!!!!!
upupupupu

Also a fun fact about Danganronpa:
In Japanese, the person who voices Monokuma is Nobuyo Ōyama, who is the same person who voiced Doraemon....
250px-Doraemon2.png
Now imagine if the same person who voiced Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny voiced Monokuma.
Kinda awesome and kinda creepy at the same time.

789shadow

Banned
Subscribed to this thread to see reactions, of course. I will attempt to mooch off of a friend to actually play it, as well.

they reused the FMVs from the games( which are pretty jarring compared to the shows animation),

That's actually false, all of the "FMVs" are actually completely redrawn. Whether the fact that some people couldn't or had difficulty telling that is a good thing or not is another subjective matter.

Doesn't save the anime from being a bad adaptation with a neat moment here and there with a little extra male fanservice, but yeah.

That's actually false, all of the "FMVs" are actually completely redrawn. Whether the fact that some people couldn't or had difficulty telling that is a good thing or not is another subjective matter.

Doesn't save the anime from being a bad adaptation with a neat moment here and there with a little extra male fanservice, but yeah.

They were redrawn ?

I'm sorry but i didn't notice a difference .. i guess i should do a 7 -error mini game with both footage then.

My credit card has a pending charge on it from NISA.

*starts freaking out*

Mine still says "Pending Fulfillment", whatever that means. I guess they're gonna start charging and shipping out around Wednesday or Thursday this week or something so that it can ship and get to people around Tuesday next week

That I didn't know, hmm....well now that I watched a couple of the first FMV from the animation, they do look a little bit different, but not that much. Although that would make kinda sense since they used some different angles for some of them.

kewlmyc

For those worried about spoilers....

DON'T IMAGE SEARCH DANGANRONPA (there's hella fanart and even official art that spoils the games)
DON'T YOUTUBE DANGANRONPA (people blatantly spoil the game plot developments in the video titles)
DON'T TUMBLER DANGANRONPA (should be obvious)
DON'T VISIT THE CHARACTER PAGES ON THE DANGANRONPA WIKI (outright lists who lives and dies in the character descriptions)

Avoid these 4 and you should be fine.

Roto13

For those worried about spoilers....

DON'T IMAGE SEARCH DANGANRONPA (there's hella fanart and even official art that spoils the games)
DON'T YOUTUBE DANGANRONPA (people blatantly spoil the game plot developments in the video titles)
DON'T TUMBLER DANGANRONPA (should be obvious)
DON'T VISIT THE CHARACTER PAGES ON THE DANGANRONPA WIKI (outright lists who lives and dies in the character descriptions)

Avoid these 4 and you should be fine.

I'm actually going to leave this thread until I finish the game.

They were redrawn ?

I'm sorry but i didn't notice a difference .. i guess i should do a 7 -error mini game with both footage then.

I'm assuming the characters were at least. Off the top of my head, the characters are visibly less detailed, the "style" for the execution looks a lot more like just a filter put over the drawings, and they're "more animated" not sure how else to describe it.

robotrock

Banned
No. There's kind of a bad ending which is really just a glorified game over and takes you right back to the choice that leads to it.
Not really, no. There's a sort of 'game over' with a 'special cutscene' and such at a certain point in the game though. When the choice option comes up during that specific part you should be able to figure out which one is the 'bad ending' and which one is the 'good ending' I guess.

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom