• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

For those worried about spoilers....

DON'T IMAGE SEARCH DANGANRONPA (there's hella fanart and even official art that spoils the games)
DON'T YOUTUBE DANGANRONPA (people blatantly spoil the game plot developments in the video titles)
DON'T TUMBLER DANGANRONPA (should be obvious)
DON'T VISIT THE CHARACTER PAGES ON THE DANGANRONPA WIKI (outright lists who lives and dies in the character descriptions)

Avoid these 4 and you should be fine.

This should really be put into the OP or something. Great advice.

I'll be there day one to support it, just wrapping up VLR now in anticipation. I really want to see more visual novels on Vita, it's the best place for them. The system's like holding a book.

//ARCANUM

Definitely looking forward to picking this up. I'm currently playing through 999 for my first time. Not sure if I want to move on to VLR or this next...

Shengar

It's even worse that usual for this game. People post things EVERYWHERE, even where you would least suspect it. :/

Then the general advice will be: have internet blackout until you finished the game.
Unless of course, you have asshole friend that spoiled it for you in real life after they know you playing it.

zulux21

im a little sad i saw this thread.... had I not I would have had this game show up next week without me expecting it :p

for some reason i thought this was a march release.... oh well guess I get to play it next week lol.

im hoping the fact that the LE sold out so quickly that this sold well enough to warrant the sequel already.

Nachos

It should be, but you'd be surprised...

I don't think that's necessarily fair, though. Sure, the game is niche enough to warrant erring a bit more on the cautious side, but for people who might be interested and are looking for more information, where can you possibly go without stepping into a spoiler minefield? At least in the case of image searching, you would think that screenshots world come up first, and in the case of the wiki, that the editors wouldn't be big enough dweebs to put plot-pertinent details at the forefront like that. Even the trailers have spoilers apparently.

Not everyone is going to have the same frame of reference, so asking a forum might not be the first thing to cross one's mind. Not that I have an alternative, but it's called niche for a reason; there's nothing really "common" about it at all.

FluxWaveZ

Hm, always been pretty good about avoiding spoilers for games I care about experiencing firsthand by generally following those four points of advice.

I barely know anything about Danganronpa or its characters aside from a couple of things which have been said to be "non-spoilers" that I glanced from this very thread:
that the muscly, tall character who might be called Sakura is actually female and that the bear thing is a robot.

At least in the case of image searching, you would think that screenshots world come up first, and in the case of the wiki, that the editors wouldn't be big enough dweebs to put plot-pertinent details at the forefront like that. Even the trailers have spoilers apparently.

What? Not at all!

I don't know about that more recent trailer, which apparently has some spoilers, but searching an image or looking at a wiki for any story driven thing is always a spoiler minefield. I'd argue it's extremely common, no matter if something is niche or not.

Not too sure why one would go looking for random screenshots or go looking at a wiki if they care about not being spoiled.

Then the general advice will be: have internet blackout until you finished the game.
Unless of course, you have asshole friend that spoiled it for you in real life after they know you playing it.
The place that spoiled stuff for me had no place to post anything like that, but they did anyway. :/

But I'm not gonna let it affect my enjoyment of the game. I'm still crazy pumped to play. I'm going on EXTREME LOCKDOWN for Super DanganRonpa 2 though.

My credit card has a pending charge on it from NISA.

*starts freaking out*
:O

Has NISA released their games a little earlier than official release day before?

Generally, they'll ship their games barring any production delays which we should have heard about by now so they'll generally arrive by around Tuesday.

So, copies should be shipping out later this week (please be tomorrow) and depending on your distance from southern California, people should be receiving their games soon.

Labrys

sakura being female (besides being incredibly obvious imo) is not a spoiler, she is referred to with female pronouns in her bio on the website ("They say she learned how to fight before she learned how to walk. Thanks to her stern gaze...") and it is never implied that she is male in game.

don't mean to sound pissy about it i've just run across the same comments about her about 100 times over and i'm honestly a bit sick of it

FluxWaveZ

sakura being female (besides being incredibly obvious imo) is not a spoiler, she is referred to with female pronouns in her bio on the website (They say she learned how to fight before she learned how to walk. Thanks to her stern gaze...") and it is never implied that she is male in game.

That's good to know. The only thing I knew about the character until now was how they looked from one of the first trailers shown, so it was natural to assume that she was a guy wearing a female outfit. Haven't looked at the website or anything else, really. Skipped most of the OP of this thread to avoid general info so I can go in as fresh as possible.

Nachos

What? Not at all!

I don't know about that more recent trailer, which apparently has some spoilers, but searching an image or looking at a wiki for any story driven thing is always a spoiler minefield. I'd argue it's extremely common, no matter if something is niche or not.

Not too sure why one would go looking for random screenshots or go looking at a wiki if they care about not being spoiled.

I'm mostly speaking for the people who might have just recently heard of the game but don't know the extent to which the story takes the driver's seat. What if this is basically their first visual novel? They won't have anything to compare the game to, meaning that they'd basically need to rely on official media or gameplay videos. There are just so many perspectives from which one could approach this game that nothing can just be a given. Even if they were to search for "Dangan Ronpa official screenshots please don't include any spoilers or weird fan art please please please please please," some things probably would still slip through the cracks, but either way, it'd just be penalizing someone for trying to be an informed consumer.

Still, maybe I've just been spoiled by certain wikis I frequent clearly outlining which pays off a page have spikes and which don't.

Labrys

also, sorry if someone else pointed it out again, but trailers 2 and 3 are the same exact trailer. "3" is a reupload for siliconera that they misnumbered, nisa's only put out 2 trailers yet.

NISA charged my credit card! :D

tumblr_inline_n0gq435sp01qgdj69.gif

also, sorry if someone else pointed it out again, but trailers 2 and 3 are the same exact trailer. "3" is a reupload for siliconera that they misnumbered, nisa's only put out 2 trailers yet.

Oh, never realized that. Say goodbye to the school sign then!

Lusankya

I barely know anything about Danganronpa or its characters aside from a couple of things which have been said to be "non-spoilers" that I glanced from this very thread: that the muscly, tall character who might be called Sakura is actually female and that the bear thing is a robot.

I unspoiler this stuff, because it's really basic information. It's as basic as it gets and on the same level of information like:
- This game is a visual novel
- It's made by Spike Chunsoft
- Characters die during this game
- It's for the PSP/Vita

Not too sure why one would go looking for random screenshots

It's really worse for Danganronpa. You can easily do an image search for e.g. Ace Attorney, 999, VLR, Ghost Trick, etc and won't find any spoiler pics on the first pages, but when you search for Dangan Ronpa among the first ten entries the mastermind will be spoiled.

Squire

Banned

DON'T IMAGE SEARCH DANGANRONPA (there's hella fanart and even official art that spoils the games)
DON'T YOUTUBE DANGANRONPA (people blatantly spoil the game plot developments in the video titles)
DON'T VISIT THE CHARACTER PAGES ON THE DANGANRONPA WIKI (outright lists who lives and dies in the character descriptions)

Ah, I'm pretty sure I've had stuff spoiled for me by fan art/tumblr.

My fault though, mostly. That fan art is some fine work.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, it's the fan art that gets ya.

Yeeeeeeah.

But it's SO GOOD.

I dunno. I'm going to go into it and put it out of my mind the best I can. I imagine there's more to the twists and revelations in the game than just the identity of the villain?

Yeeeeeeah.

But it's SO GOOD.

I dunno. I'm going to go into it and put it out of my mind the best I can. I imagine there's more to the twists and revelations in the game than just the identity of the villain?
Most certainly, yes.

Many people have told me that discovering the actual culprits is not that hard, it's their motivations, and the reasons why everything is happening that's the big WTF.

Labrys

Yeeeeeeah.

But it's SO GOOD.

yes, there is. quite a few, actually, unless you were spoiled about the villain and everything surrounding them.

but, yes, best to not google anything about the game. it gets worse with the sequel.

Many people have told me that discovering the actual culprits is not that hard, it's their motivations, and the reasons why everything is happening that's the big WTF.

i uh unfortunately didn't have that much ease when figuring out whodunnit, a few chapters truly stumped me. but that may just be a mix of my trouble figuring mysteries even though i love them.

Feep

Banned
Despite voice acting in the game, I only have a clear picture of one of the major plot spoilers. We were blurring through my lines pretty quickly, and of course I wasn't reading the whole script, just the relevant sections.

Point is, I'm just as excited to play as everyone else. VLR is my like favorite game of this decade.

Labrys

knowing your character i have an idea of which plot point that is

but that's good, i'm glad people are going into this unspoiled. i was unfortunately spoiled on a few points before i read it the first time (to be honest they intrigued me more than spoiled me, so to speak) so seeing everyone being able to react to the twists will be fun.

yes, there is. quite a few, actually, unless you were spoiled about the villain and everything surrounding them.

but, yes, best to not google anything about the game. it gets worse with the sequel.
I think the lack of previous English release/anime for DR2 has thankfully made the prevalence of online spoilers a lot less, at least in the English community, but it's still a big concern.

I just hope that the speculation about DR2 possibly being announced at NISA's media event next week turns out to be true, and that we get caught up to the Japanese releases sooner, rather than later.

No matter how careful you are, there is always the risk of being ambushed by spoilers, as I've learned the hard way. I really want to go into any future DanganRonpa games totally fresh.

Squire

Banned
Most certainly, yes.

i uh unfortunately didn't have that much ease when figuring out whodunnit, a few chapters truly stumped me. but that may just be a mix of my trouble figuring mysteries even though i love them.

Good, good. That's exactly what I want. I know the villain, but that's all I've got, I'm sure. I made it a point to do my best to keep from spoiling anything else sometime ago.

Despite voice acting in the game, I only have a clear picture of one of the major plot spoilers. We were blurring through my lines pretty quickly, and of course I wasn't reading the whole script, just the relevant sections.

Point is, I'm just as excited to play as everyone else. VLR is my like favorite game of this decade.

You sound really good in that last trailer.

Chapter 1 beat. I feel like a few of the girls' voices are a bit off. Kirigiri sounds even more bored than her character, Sakura sounds like she's trying too hard to be gruff, and I'm not sure what's going on with Celeste's fake accent. That being said, they all have their moments and the rest of the cast is stellar.

Though I'm sorry to say Feep, but you don't seem to be "on" at all times. That's fine though, I still love you and your voice :D

Labrys

I think the lack of previous English release/anime for DR2 has thankfully made the prevalence of online spoilers a lot less, at least in the English community, but it's still a big concern.

I just hope that the speculation about DR2 possibly being announced at NISA's media event next week turns out to be true, and that we get caught up to the Japanese releases sooner, rather than later.

No matter how careful you are, there is always the risk of being ambushed by spoilers, as I've learned the hard way. I really want to go into any future DanganRonpa games totally fresh.

i was unfortunately spoiled on every murder past the second chapter of sdr2. the murderers weren't spoiled however, which kept me semi on my toes.

it getting announced would be a nice surprise though. even though i did read through 98% of the game a lot was missed by the translator summarizing and part of a trial's videos being down.

i was unfortunately spoiled on every murder past the second chapter of sdr2. the murderers weren't spoiled however, which kept me semi on my toes.

it getting announced would be a nice surprise though. even though i did read through 98% of the game a lot was missed by the translator summarizing and part of a trial's videos being down.
Man, that's brutal. I like the cast of DR2 way better than the first one too, so I'd be gutted knowing ahead of time.

It reminds me of popular book series suddenly being made into TV shows (like Game of Thrones), suddenly everywhere is a minefield of spoilers. I had someone literally drop a giant GoT spoiler into a conversation about sand. ABOUT SAND. (I already knew the plotpoint, so I wasn't surprised, but it was truly ridiculous.)

At least if we get caught up before DR3, we'll all be on the same page.

Tohsaka

I had the culprit of SDR2 spoiled, unfortunately. I'm actively avoiding reading anything else about it until I actually get to play it myself.

Labrys

Man, that's brutal. I like the cast of DR2 way better than the first one too, so I'd be gutted knowing ahead of time.

It reminds me of popular book series suddenly being made into TV shows (like Game of Thrones), suddenly everywhere is a minefield of spoilers. I had someone literally drop a giant GoT spoiler into a conversation about sand. ABOUT SAND. (I already knew the plotpoint, so I wasn't surprised, but it was truly ridiculous.)

At least if we get caught up before DR3, we'll all be on the same page.

yeh it was annoying, the conditions of the murders surprised me though which was nice

and yeh again, it'd be nice to be on the same page with 3 as everyone else

I had the culprit of SDR2 spoiled, unfortunately. I'm actively avoiding reading anything else about it until I actually get to play it myself.

just the culprit? there's more to it besides that. a lot more. don't be disheartened.

I remember a few years ago when the Dangan ronpa let's play was starting, it was impossible to find spoilers on what's gonna happen.

Now you can't go to a site without getting spoiled by someone. Dangan Ronpa sure has gotten popular.

Labrys

It seems that there are more DR2 spoilers in the wild than I thought.

INITIATE COMPLETE LOCKDOWN

stay away from tumblr. at all costs. and google image search. and the wiki.
(just going on the "sdr2" tag on tumblr brought up a spoiler a page pretty much)

basically do everything you'd do for this game except times x100

also, i finally found an avatar i like. this one will stick.

stay away from tumblr. at all costs. and google image search. and the wiki.
(just going on the "sdr2" tag on tumblr brought up a spoiler a page pretty much)

basically do everything you'd do for this game except times x100

also, i finally found an avatar i like. this one will stick.
Yeah, that's the plan. (Though that's what I was doing for this one too, and I still got blasted.)

That's why NISA needs to get DR2 here, pronto.

Yep. You really, really have to go media blackout on this one if you don't want to get spoiled.

Save the waifu avatars for after you beat the game.

Domstercool

I hope we don't have to wait too long for 2. I managed to get through all of this release without spoilers, and I certainly don't want to see a sneaky spoil come in from somewhere about 2.

Please bring it to us NISA! I loved the first one!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Awesome, debit card got charged. Would be awesome if it shipped this week. Amazing to think less than a week now when I pre-ordered the LE in Nov.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Most likely, yeah.

We typically bill preorders about 7 days before the release date (varies from title to title) to ensure we can process and ship out your order on time, and we will notify you before billing begins. If you have any special circumstances with your billing/payment, please feel free to contact us and we will assist you as best we can.

Top Bottom