• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Jinto

Well, I was going to post this image as a response regardless of character...

image.php

lol He's good too. I think of him as me though while I'm playing, so he doesn't count.

LiK

I really need to get back into playing DanganRonpa. I stopped at Chapter 2 but so far I am really liking it.

It's a game that made me happy I own a Vita for. So far I am liking all the characters so far and I can't wait for the second game.

oh man, keep going! i played nonstop for a full weekend. i think i had a total 4 hours sleep XD

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jinto
(Today, 08:12 AM)

Hey, there's only room for one Ultimate Jint around here
Guess you guys will have to settle things like jintomen.

Refresh my memory since I can't remember nor find info about it. Didn't NISA said they had the rights to one other Danganronpa novel or something and were planning on translating it with the sequel? Am I thinking of Zero? Trying to remember since it hit me that a short novel would make for a good LE item.

Refresh my memory since I can't remember nor find info about it. Didn't NISA said they had the rights to one other Danganronpa novel or something and were planning on translating it with the sequel? Am I thinking of Zero? Trying to remember since it hit me that a short novel would make for a good LE item.

It was mentioned (I'm going to have to dig for the actual quote from the NISA forum again) that Danganronpa IF will be included with the second game.

Nothing about Danganronpa Zero since it's a completely separate license and a whole new ball game for NISA (since it's a light novel).

Jinto

Jinto
(Today, 08:12 AM)

Hey, there's only room for one Ultimate Jint around here

Depends how this game ends. I might fall into ultimate despair never to be heard from again.

I laughed.

UberTag

I suggest that we refer to Jintor as the Rated-R Jinto that lights himself on fire for tags.
And the other Jinto will now be referred to as Jinto Jr. Because he's a junior member still.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It was mentioned (I'm going to have to dig for the actual quote from the NISA forum again) that Danganronpa IF will be included with the second game.

Nothing about Danganronpa Zero since it's a completely separate license and a whole new ball game for NISA (since it's a light novel).
Yeah, that's what it was. I was trying to find it on here, but couldn't. I just remember a light novel that was being translated since NISA got the rights & figured that would probably be included with the DR2 LE, which I'm sure they'll do if the first game got one.

Jinto

I suggest that we refer to Jintor as the Rated-R Jinto that lights himself on fire for tags.
And the other Jinto will now be referred to as Jinto Jr. Because he's a junior member still.

I'm not a junior member anymore though. :D

Completed Ch 5.

I had to play through the trial twice. I thought for sure pursuing the lie was the correct route. Of course, with Kyoko being my favorite and all, I decided not to. I figured what I was watching was some alternate ending or something. At least until chapter 6 started. Then it was obvious it wasn't.

I restarted the Ch 5 trial to see what happens when you actually pursue the lie. Good thing I did it in that order. If I saw this first, I woulda been traumatized.

On my second play through of the trial, I kept thinking that Kyoko knew Alter Ego was gonna save the day. But I guess she didn't. A little disappointing, but I sorta understand it.

When the chapter started, I had no idea what was going on, but it ended up being so good!

DaBoss

It gets more and more rushed as you get more episodes in, I thought it started pretty good too.
Yea, I see what you mean. They really made the investigation sections feel like nothing.

Though I think the last episode was pretty good and a good adaptation of the final part of the game.

Sorian

Banned
Yea, I see what you mean. They really made the investigation sections feel like nothing.

Though I think the last episode was pretty good and a good adaptation of the final part of the game.

Mastermind Spoilers(!!!!!):
They blew the whole budget on Junko's boobs

I do agree though, the final two episodes did pretty good.

Jinto

Just finished the main story. This game is fantastic! It's my first VN, and I was blown away. I've had VLR for awhile, but I didn't play it, because I didn't have 999. I ordered it off Amazon a few days ago because of this game. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jintor

Just finished the main story. This game is fantastic! It's my first VN, and I was blown away. I've had VLR for awhile, but I didn't play it, because I didn't have 999. I ordered it off Amazon a few days ago because of this game. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ghost Trick, Ace Attorney Series

FluxWaveZ

Are they all stand alone? Is there a good starting point?

All of them, in order. No exceptions. Check the AA5 OT for an AA game playing guide.

Ghost Trick was made by the same person behind the Ace Attorney series, by the way. The court and investigation segments of Danganronpa are basically what Ace Attorney is, but AA obviously does it so much better since court drama and investigations are what it's all about.

Jintor

Ghost Trick looks like it can be bought for cheap. I'll pick it up, thanks! As for Ace Attorney, seems like there are a lot of games. Are they all stand alone? Is there a good starting point?

Go in order for preference. They're like $20 each on amazon or you can buy the shitty terrible iOS versions (or the shitty terrible 3-in-one compilation thing they're doing later this year)

Jinto

All of them, in order. No exceptions. Check the AA5 OT for an AA game playing guide.

Ghost Trick was made by the same person behind the Ace Attorney series, by the way. The court and investigation segments of Danganronpa are basically what Ace Attorney is, but AA obviously does it so much better since court drama and investigations are what it's all about.

Subscribed, thanks! Good to know that the court segments are better than DR.

Go in order for preference. They're like $20 each on amazon or you can buy the shitty terrible iOS versions (or the shitty terrible 3-in-one compilation thing they're doing later this year)

Looks like I'll buy Ghost Trick, and the first Ace Attorney game for now. If I like it, I'll buy the rest.

Depending on how well you can handle.... certain things, Saya no Uta.

Hm, did a quick search, and doesn't really seem like my cup of tea. I might give it a shot later. Thanks though.
What exactly are you looking for in a new VN? I recommended this before but if you want something more horror heavy and darker without quite Saya No Uta levels afaik (haven't actually played that) Corpse Party for PSP/Vita is a fun little title for your highschool kid killing needs. And it's cheap at least in EU psn store. Gameplay is a lil different from AA/DR since it only has the exploration/adventure element with some light puzzles. Just don't be afraid to ask for help/look at a guide if you get stuck from all bad ends in the game (tho one of the fun parts is collecting them all lol).

But I also recommend doing 999/VLR first.

Jinto

What exactly are you looking for in a new VN? I recommended this before but if you want something more horror heavy and darker without quite Saya No Uta levels afaik (haven't actually played that) Corpse Party for PSP/Vita is a fun little title for your highschool kid killing needs. And it's cheap at least in EU psn store. Gameplay is a lil different from AA/DR since it only has the exploration/adventure element with some light puzzles. Just don't be afraid to ask for help/look at a guide if you get stuck from all bad ends in the game (tho one of the fun parts is collecting them all lol).

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna play 999 first. Corpse party looks pretty interesting, although some of the reviews make it seem like it can be kinda frustrating.

As for what I'm looking for, basically something with a really good story without being too tedious. It can be totally different than DR. Maybe something less serious, or with more romance. Just so I can play something different after I'm done with 999, DR, VLR, etc.

Time Hollow and Lux Pain are also good VNs, but the latter has one of the worst localizations I have ever seen.

Time Hollow appears interesting. I'll add it to my to play list. I do wanna avoid bad translations, especially with visual novels.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 3 - Trial question

What the fuck? I'm at the part where I'm supposed to prove Hifumi and Taka wasn't neccessarily killed in the order the hammers were numbered. I have only one bullet point to choose from, and I have now tried shooting down each of the orange sentences, with no result. gargh..

Sort of hating on this buzy and messy trial system to be honest

Still really enjoying this! I just got a little passed
the second murder
in chapter 1.

I knew
Sayaka was as good as dead the moment someone tried to break into her room, but at the same time I was pretty surprised she was the first victim. And nooooooooooo at Junko dying too! I liked her!
And was it just me or did the game stuff up some text? At one point when Sayaka was in Makoto’s room Sayaka was supposed to be talking but the text came up as if Makoto was talking. By the way, I know this is probably more of a big deal in Japan, but Sayaka’s reason not to stay the night in Makoto’s room was the first stupid thing a character has done. I mean come on, given the circumstances you’re not going to take extra caution!?! “Hoho! We can’t sleep in the one bed, we might touch each other! Oh well, I’ll stay by myself and
risk getting killed.”
WUT?

Another small negative is while the music is good...it’s getting a little on the repetitive side and I wish when
Sayaka and Junko
died the music would've been more moody and menacing like in 999 and Virtue’s Last Reward. The pink blood bothered me more than I thought it would too. I don’t know, I just felt like the death scenes could have been more effective/disturbing with some really moody music and red blood. It just seemed slightly off like it wasn't as big of a deal as it should have been, especially with
Junko's
death. It's still early days though when it comes to death scenes!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The pink blood is really stupid. Hope they make it red for DR2 in the Fall.

On ch 3 now - just got to the investigation part. Really interested to see how this trial goes... gonna be a doozy!

As for what I'm looking for, basically something with a really good story without being too tedious. It can be totally different than DR. Maybe something less serious, or with more romance. Just so I can play something different after I'm done with 999, DR, VLR, etc.

I wouldn't. The writing is pretty bad, the characters aren't interesting & VLR is like 20 hours too long. They're 6/10 games.

I'd suggest Ghost Trick as it is amazing and blows 999/VLR out of the water. It's a 10/10 game, one of the best adventure games of all time.

You really think they'd go to all of that effort to make the blood red just for the English localization of the game?

Can't be too much work, right? I imagine the VA, translation, etc are more intensive than editing some of the screens. I could be wrong, though.

The pink blood is pretty much a part of Danganronpa now, even though it was originally only for censorship. There would be even bigger outcry if they changed it to red in the Western release.

If I can make a bunch of Hifumis rage over the change that only makes it a better decision.

kewlmyc

The pink blood is really stupid. Hope they make it red for DR2 in the Fall.

On ch 3 now - just got to the investigation part. Really interested to see how this trial goes... gonna be a doozy!

Ehh I wouldn't. The writing is pretty bad, the characters aren't interesting & VLR is like 20 hours too long. I'd suggest Ghost Trick if you haven't played that one.

The pink blood is pretty much a part of Danganronpa now, even though it was originally only for censorship. There would be even bigger outcry if they changed it to red in the Western release.

FluxWaveZ

Can't be too much work, right? I imagine the VA, translation, etc are more intensive than editing some of the screens. I could be wrong, though.

VA and translation are at the core of localization. They wouldn't get artists to edit all of the blood in in-game shots, cutscenes, etc. from pink to red just because a certain number of people think it looks jarring.

even outside of issues regarding the rating system, the series staff seem to be fond of the pepto bismol blood as a stylistic choice

so it ain't going anywhere

DaBoss

I think the pink blood makes it more appealing and easier for people to get into. And since it makes it easier for people to get into, I'm perfectly fine with it having pink blood.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's not a big deal at all, but I just don't think it's a good stylistic decision. The game generally has a muted style, and the pink is too contrasty and takes away from the atmosphere.

I would love some gamefaqs style outcry if they changed it for DR2, though.

I think the pink blood makes it more appealing and easier for people to get into. And since it makes it easier for people to get into, I'm perfectly fine with it having pink blood.

I'm not sure why pink blood would make a Japanese visual novel about murdering high school students any more or less accessible. If anything, it tones down some otherwise cool horror elements and takes you out of the moment.

kewlmyc

I think most people would have preferred the realistic color of blood. It's just too late at this point to change it because it's part of the series now, for better or worse.

kewlmyc

I still don't really understand how something like Corpse Party can get away with a Cero D while this can't because of blood color.

I think it's the way some of the executions take place.
The culprit in chapter 1 is essentially gunned down which I could see helping it get a stricter rating in Japan. It's also the reason SDR2 has a lesser rating than DR1 in Japan since the executions are more tame.

I think it's the way some of the executions take place.
The culprit in chapter 1 is essentially gunned down which I could see helping it get a stricter rating in Japan. It's also the reason SDR2 has a lesser rating than DR1 in Japan since the executions are more tame.

SDR2 having a lesser rating makes no sense to me at all really

Top Bottom