• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

This was one of the first things I saw in this thread once I finished the game and it made me feel like a terrible person for ignoring him through the whole thing and not caring when he died. I started school mode and the first thing he tells me is he has trouble making friends.

Tears. Just like his.

This is truly becoming the Kiyotaka Ishimaru memorial thread. ;_;

Lusankya

If I search for Danganronpa Abridged, I'm not gonna get video recommendations for DR2 stuff, am I?

If you search for anything DanganRonpa related on Youtube, you'll get tons of DR2 spoiler recommendations.
Actually, if you search for anything DanganRonpa related on the internet, you'll find tons of DR2 spoilers.

Houk

NISA
Oh, that's an interesting tidbit. But since you are at NISA, wouldn't spoilers be everywhere?

You hear things here and there, but it's generally without too much context. So if you're making a conscious effort to avoid hearing it, you can keep yourself relatively clean.

That being said, the team working on it did consult me about things here and there, so I couldn't help but get some of it.

A little offtopic but just wanted to say I loved the job you've done in DR1. I'm now a fan of the series due to your localization. :)

ITT: Who will be working on it? Loved your VA selection aside from Makoto. :)

Thanks! I'm really glad to see the warm reception this game has gotten, considering how much I love the game myself. Another translator/editor team are on the second one, but they're as big of fans of the game as anyone else in the office, so I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

george_us

This game really leaves an impression on you after it ends. At first I wasn't quite sure that I liked it but it's still a game that I find thinking about even after I've beaten it. Not too many games do that to me anymore.

SentryDown

After finishing the game, I still have two questions that were perhaps answered and that I may have missed :

- what happenned in the classroom covered with blood ? And to the second dormitory floor ? I mean, if they were isolated during the tragedy, how could this happenned ?

- what happenned to the headmaster ? When was he killed ans put in a box in the secret room ?

Sendou

After finishing the game, I still have two questions that were perhaps answered and that I may have missed :

- what happenned in the classroom covered with blood ? And to the second dormitory floor ? I mean, if they were isolated during the tragedy, how could this happenned ?

- what happenned to the headmaster ? When was he killed ans put in a box in the secret room ?

Well the game doesn't give all the answers but:

- I'm assuming this happened before they were isolated. I understood that The Tragedy was why they were isolated. After that massacre only the 16 students featured in the game remained and then they were isolated there.

- Mastemind killed him. This was kind of necessarily because he was sword to protect those students and they wanted something else to be done instead. This would be between when they isolated the school and when the killing game began.

But I might be wrong :p

Neither of those things were adresses specifically. The classroom and 2nd floor of the dorms were most likely because of the Tragedy.

The man you see Monokuma punish at the very beginning of the game is the headmaster, but we don't know when that happened. Presumably during the second year of Class #74 at some point.

Lusankya

Read DanganRonpa Zero and play DR 2 for that.

kewlmyc

These Abridged and Zero things are anime, manga or what? Are they official?
Abridged is a parody of the anime that's on YouTube. Zero is a two part novel series that acts as the prequel to the series. Only part 1 has been fan translated so far.

These Abridged and Zero things are anime, manga or what? Are they official?
Abridged is a YT video parody series using clips from the anime. It's about as official as Celeste x Kyoko.

Zero is an official light novel prequel that I'm currently avoiding like the plague. It has two parts, the first of which has been (fan) translated while the other is a work in progress.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Abridged is a parody of the anime that's on YouTube. Zero is a two part novel series that acts as the prequel to the series. Only part 1 has been fan translated so far.

Abridged is a YT video parody series using clips from the anime. It's about as official as Celeste x Kyoko.

Zero is an official light novel prequel that I'm currently avoiding like the plague. It has two parts, the first of which has been (fan) translated while the other is a work in progress.

Is Zero safe having already played DR1 or it spoils DR2?

Wow I just did Chihiro's social link in school mode and I just realised you are inadvertantly responsible for his death

I told you all Makoto was a murderer! :p

But not just of fashion sense and common sense, of an actual person too!

Think about it: He sucks so much Chihiro went to Mondo instead

Wow I just did Chihiro's social link in school mode and I just realised you are inadvertantly responsible for his death

I said it before Makoto's actions is basically related to and probably one of the reasons that lead to about half of the deaths in this game.

Chihiro? Tells him to go meet with Mondo to become stronger.

Ishimaru? Breaks the rules to take him to see Alter Ego

Sakura? Doesn't tell everybody what he saw

Kirigiri's possible? Tells everybody her lie

I guess Maizono? Too soft hearted and switches room with her

MAKOTO RUINS EVERYTHING.

kewlmyc

I said it before Makoto's actions is basically related to and probably one of the reasons that lead to about half of the deaths in this game.

MAKOTO RUINS EVERYTHING.

Ishimaru would have gotten killed regardless. It was Celeste's lies that started the whole thing. People would have given Sakura shit regardless of who told them she was the traitor. Lol at Maizono.

Will give you Chihiro though.

Ishimaru would have gotten killed regardless. It was Celeste's lies that started the whole thing. People would have given Sakura shit regardless of who told them she was the traitor. Lol at Maizono.

Celeste wouldn't have any foundations to start a lie if Ishimaru didn't become Ishida after seeing Alter Ego.

It was only after that where Yamada and Ishida started arguing over Alter Ego that allowed Celeste to trick Yamada into killing Ishida.

I don't know if anyone else would have taken Ishimaru to Alter Ego (and breaking the rules again) other than Makoto and Yamada would have to be that stupid to think broken Ishimaru would have stolen Alter Ego.

Isn't that only in the optional report card talks? Well, he dies even without that.

Celeste wouldn't have any foundations to start a lie if Ishimaru didn't become Ishida after seeing Alter Ego.

It was only after that where Yamada and Ishida started arguing over Alter Ego that allowed Celeste to trick Yamada into killing Ishida.

I don't know if anyone else would have taken Ishimaru to Alter Ego (and breaking the rules again) other than Makoto and Yamada would have to be that stupid to think broken Ishimaru would have stolen Alter Ego.
Makoto can hardly be blamed for not forseeing that Ishimaru would have a drastic personality change that would make it easier for someone else to murder him.

Makoto can hardly be blamed for not forseeing that Ishimaru would have a drastic personality change that would make it easier for someone else to murder him.

I'm not saying he should have been the one executed instead of Celeste.

I'm just saying his actions (or lack of actions) kinda do lead to other characters' death whether he could foresee it or not.

LX_Theo

Banned

If anything Taka was less of a target after his situation with Alter Ego. He was so broken before, I'd imagine he'd have been the next target no matter what if something hadn't changed.

I'm not saying he should have been the one executed instead of Celeste.

I'm just saying his actions (or lack of actions) kinda do lead to other characters' death whether he could foresee it or not.

Makoto Naegi: Super High School Level Manslaughterer

No wonder he was able to find all the culprits!

PK Gaming

MAKOTO RUINS EVERYTHING.

82ulVPL.jpg

See, I can't tell if you're joking or not, but it sounds like you're implying that Makoto's inadvertent actions led to a bunch of deaths, when that's not really the case. Disregarding the fact that the mastermind is ultimately behind everyone's death, you're way off base.

Chihiro: You made 2 faulty assumptions here
1) You're assuming that all of the social links are canon to the main story. I'm sure they "could have happened" but I doubt they had an effect on the main story (otherwise Makoto would have known about Chihiro's alter ego program in advance, and his reaction to each individual death would be a lot more pronounced, etc)
2) Makoto didn't outright tell Chihiro to go see Mondo. Chihiro assumed that Makoto was a strong person (he wasn't) and Makoto suggested that Chihiro he should train with someone like Mondo instead. You're assuming that Makoto's suggestion had an effect on Chihiro's decision to be contact Mondo,but it was a foregone conclusion. Chihiro would have gone to see Mondo regardless.

Ishimaru: Taka made the decision to see Makoo. Makoto was apprehensive about it, but decided to let him see anyway because he's a nice guy. It's not Makoto's fault that he completely overreacted and turned into... Kiyondo. And it's especially not his fault that Kiyondo was stupid enough to believe in Celeste's letter in the first place!

Sakura: It wouldn't have made a difference. Junko was going to reveal her identity as a double agent anyway and you're forgetting that Sakura had resolved to kill herself.

Kyoko: Sure, but only because Junko had completely rigged the murder trial. But wait a minute, it's not canon so you don't really have a leg to stand on!

Sayaka: So you're blaming Makoto for a would be murderer's death, because he inadvertently helped her out...? How do you figure that? If he "didn't" switch rooms with her, then Sayaka would have tried to murder someone else in a different fashion. Or hell, she might have gotten desperate enough to kill Makoto himself!

I'm only (half) joking with Makoto being responsible for half the deaths here.

It's just something that struck out to me again while going through the localized version that some of the things Makoto is doing is going to lead to other characters dying.

PK Gaming

Eh

Chihiro and Sakura were going to die regardless of Makoto's actions

Sayaka would have killed/been killed by someone else, so Makoto's aid really didn't cause her death. In fact, he inadvertently prevented his own death (and if he had died, they would have been fucked)

Ishimaru was a walking target after Mondo's death. He would have been picked by Celeste regardless. I'll give you that him seeing Alter directly caused his dispute with Hifumi, but it was Taka who ultimately made the decision to see Alter and turn into a raging douchebag so... he's actually responsible for 2 deaths. His own, and Hifumi's.

I really can't see how Ishimaru is responsible for Yamada's death.

Who decided the best course of action for Ishimaru's supposed kidnapping of Alter Ego and lol assault on Celeste was murder?

Who decided to follow Celeste's completely flawed plan of murdering someone and then playing dead would completely throw all suspicion off you for the murder?

Who decided that Celeste's other plan of that she'll kill someone else to throw the heat off your first murder was a great idea as well?

I mean he decides to completely follow Celeste's hearsay and not bring it up with the rest of the group means he's pretty much responsible for his own stupid death.

Ishida is only really responsible for his own death only because he threw onto himself a bigger target and gave motive for someone to exploit.

You're all missing the real reason Makoto is responsible for the deaths. CLEARLY the real reason is that the only reason Makoto is alive is because of his luck, so because he couldn't be killed someone else had to die therefore he's indirectly responsible.

dan2026

It feels kinda sad doing the social links after completing the main game.

Everyone talking about their future, when most of them don't have one.

PK Gaming

I really can't see how Ishimaru is responsible for Yamada's death.

Who decided the best course of action for Ishimaru's supposed kidnapping of Alter Ego and lol assault on Celeste was murder?

Who decided to follow Celeste's completely flawed plan of murdering someone and then playing dead would completely throw all suspicion off you for the murder?

Who decided that Celeste's other plan of that she'll kill someone else to throw the heat off your first murder was a great idea as well?

I mean he decides to completely follow Celeste's hearsay and not bring it up with the rest of the group means he's pretty much responsible for his own stupid death.

Ishida is only really responsible for his own death only because he threw onto himself a bigger target and gave motive for someone to exploit.

See, it's not so fun when it's turned on you :p

But yeah, you're right. Taka probably would been killed by Hifumi regardless, because Celeste stealing the laptop is inevitable, and she'd pick Taka to be her patsy because he's the most vulnerable target. And Hifumi (being the scumbag that he is) would believe in any lie that Celeste fed him.

Yeah, it's sad reading about Leon's desire to go back to baseball, or Ishimaru's resolve to show the world that effort>genius. The fact touching music plays during these scenes makes it all the more heart-breaking. It's damn cruel to build someone up like that and give them a positive and conclusive outlook on where they're headed, just to snatch that future away from them.

This is why I think Junko is a damn effective and hateful villain.

You're all missing the real reason Makoto is responsible for the deaths. CLEARLY the real reason is that the only reason Makoto is alive is because of his luck, so because he couldn't be killed someone else had to die therefore he's indirectly responsible.

Makoto also sucks cause his luck causes us to not have a female protag and we could have had super fun social link times with a female protag.

Maybe?

School mode is very morbid if you think about it since everyone is so eager to find out how to get out which will only lead to the main plot starting.

Though I guess getting the true ending makes it slightly better.

dan2026

School mode is very morbid if you think about it since everyone is so eager to find out how to get out which will only lead to the main plot starting.

Though I guess getting the true ending makes it slightly better.

I haven't got that yet. Do you get it if you finish building all the monokumas?

I don't care about being spoiled on it though

PK Gaming

Yeah, it's sad reading about Leon's desire to go back to baseball, or Ishimaru's resolve to show the world that effort>genius. The fact touching music plays during these scenes makes it all the more heart-breaking. It's damn cruel to build someone up like that and give them a positive and conclusive outlook on where they're headed, just to snatch that future away from them.

This is why I think Junko is a damn effective and hateful villain.
Word

Junko is the poster child for villains you-love-to-hate.

Whelp, I fucked up my youtube account for watching too much fanmade DR stuff. Now I'm getting recommended videos with potentially spoilery thumbnails for DR2 (I won't look for more than a fraction of a second, so I've thankfully avoided spoilers so far).

Is there any way to disable recommended videos on the homepage? I don't want to have to sign out of youtube to use it :/

Whelp, I fucked up my youtube account for watching too much fanmade DR stuff. Now I'm getting recommended videos with potentially spoilery thumbnails for DR2 (I won't look for more than a fraction of a second, so I've thankfully avoided spoilers so far).

Is there any way to disable recommended videos on the homepage? I don't want to have to sign out of youtube to use it :/

Youtube homepage > History > Clear All Watch History + Pause Watch History

That should do it.

Don't think you can straight up remove Recommended Videos on the homepage though.

kewlmyc

What really sucks is that all the people with actual hopes, dreams, and goals (Ishimaru, Mondo, Leon, Sayaka, hell even Celeste) all die while Hagakure, who has no ambitions in life, gets to live.

dan2026

What really sucks is that all the people with actual hopes, dreams, and goals (Ishimaru, Mondo, Leon, Sayaka, hell even Celeste) all die while Hagakure, who has no ambitions in life, gets to live.

All the people who survive aren't exactly the good guys.

A schizophrenic serial killer and an egotistical asshole also survive.

I sort of feel like the worst thing that Junko did was essentially erase two years of character development for every character.

Especially since I have a sinking feeling that the students had already overcome their trials and tribulations (Chihiro and Celeste for example), in lieu of staying in the school forever.

Junko not only removed that, but amplified their fears with the lack of knowledge for the outside world.

All the people who survive aren't exactly the good guys.

A schizophrenic serial killer and an egotistical asshole also survive.

How do you figure? Makoto, Kyoko, and Aoi are definitely all 'good' in every sense of the word.

The worst thing about the ending is that Toko manages to survive though. The girl's killed like 1000 people, and you know with the world the way it is she'll probably do even more once she gets out.

Top Bottom