• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Lusankya

Looking back on the game, I did find many problems. Like how every character is stupider than a candy bracelet except for kyoko,byakuya, and makoto(but makoto is stupid as hell most of the time).

That gets a lot better in DR2. Of course in the sequel are some stupid characters as well, but during the trials they are usually not even remotely as daft as the DR1 cast.

AniHawk

I think the few people having brains on their shoulder's things was amplified by the point that, outside of the main three thinkers of Makoto, Kyoko, and Byakuya, they killed off everyone who was remotely intelligent pretty early on. I like Hina, but my description of her would be more to the like the adorably stupid girl. Hiro's entire character is meant to be comic relief through his stupidity, too.

i never thought hina was stupid. she was just really energetic and her mouth seemed to move too fast for her brain to catch up on occasion. with hiro, he really gave thought to his very frequent stupid conclusions.

NotLiquid

The more I think about it the more I am generally satisfied with which characters got offed, with the only real exception being Ishimaru.

I'm not as high on him as everyone else and I think he sort of becomes an obnoxious prick after he goes super saiyan, but out of all the characters I think he was the only potential candidate who could have developed the most based on circumstances around him. Perhaps not getting over Mondo's death ultimately became his undoing as a character but it'd have been great if he was still around for Alter Ego's "death", maybe he'd have found some true resolve after that.

Of course that'd probably have meant exchanging his death with one of the other characters, and I can't say any surviving characters would have benefited from getting the axe instead of him. I think they really chose the best balance of the only ones who had consistent conviction... or were just too dumb to die (Hiro).

LX_Theo

Banned
i never thought hina was stupid. she was just really energetic and her mouth seemed to move too fast for her brain to catch up on occasion. with hiro, he really gave thought to his very frequent stupid conclusions.

She strikes me in that way. Or maybe it was more that she doesn't seem like she'll ever be very strong in critical thinking. Guess it depends how a person interprets intelligence.

Noi

Picking the right choices for Byakuya's trips is hard. More often than not he just hates everything I say. :(

Sorian

Banned
The more I think about it the more I am generally satisfied with which characters got offed, with the only real exception being Ishimaru.

I'm not as high on him as everyone else and I think he sort of becomes an obnoxious prick after he goes super saiyan, but out of all the characters I think he was the only potential candidate who could have developed the most based on circumstances around him. Perhaps not getting over Mondo's death ultimately became his undoing as a character but it'd have been great if he was still around for Alter Ego's "death", maybe he'd have found some true resolve after that.

Of course that'd probably have involved exchanging his death with one of the characters, and I can't say any surviving characters would have benefited from getting the axe instead of him.

I almost feel like they didn't know where to take his character at that point and he was dead before they had to write more for it. I feel there was still development to be there (at least enough room for him to realize that accepting Mondo's death would require him to get past this weird fusion that his brain had created in its grief state) but that's the liberty they get with this game, it would have been silly if everyone's plot points had been all wrapped up neatly before each of their deaths.

Another question, was I the only one that felt that Junko's split personality.....thing was a mock of each of the characters? For example, the high and mighty Junko with the king hat reminded me of Byakuya, the aloof Junko covering her face with her hand made me think of Kyoko, the cutesy Junko made me think of Hina, and obviously her holding Monokuma up was just her playing the Monokuma character again but it also reminded me of Genocide Jill (which is probably more due to the fact that Erin Fitzgerald did both of those voices).

Also, I'm surprised that a lot of people take the bad end scene at face value. As I played and got it (purposely) it just felt to me like a weird what-if scenario that Makoto played in his head while thinking about whether to expose the lie or not, odd that he was able to incorporate the execution before having ever seen it but the picture at the end just felt too "odd" for me to really think of it as anything that would have actually happened in this universe.

LX_Theo

Banned
Though, I'm wondering. Would anyone know if there is a resource of the character portraits used in the game? Specifically, I'm looking for the one where Makoto looks really freaked out and scared.

Noi

Though, I'm wondering. Would anyone know if there is a resource of the character portraits used in the game? Specifically, I'm looking for the one where Makoto looks really freaked out and scared.

I assume this one? They're all on the wiki, but that place is dangerous due to DR2 spoilers.
240px-0C8F5580.png

LX_Theo

Banned
I assume this one? They're all on the wiki, but that place is dangerous due to DR2 spoilers.
240px-0C8F5580.png

Yep, that's the one. Was putting off checking there for that very reason.

For some reason I really like the portrait. The absolute horror in the eyes of the guy that you've only actually seen keep it mostly together (visually) struck a cord with me. That whole scene at the end of chapter five was probably my favorite in the game.

FluxWaveZ

I apologize if this was already brought up. I just finished the game and, even though I was expecting the eventual evolution of the "Ultimate Lucky Student" into the "Ultimate Hope" because of Makoto's optimism and main character status, I enjoyed when it happened.

So, naturally I checked his report card and...

"Ultimate Despair"? That's an unfortunate bug/typo, if it is one...

Sorian

Banned
I apologize if this was already brought up. I just finished the game and, even though I was expecting the evantual evolution of the "Ultimate Lucky Student" into the "Ultimate Hope" because of Makoto's optimism and main character status, I enjoyed when it happened.

Gah, bastard, I knew it. Set the whole thing up from the beginning so that everyone would leave the one sanctuary of hope to enter a world of despair and he made sure to have everyone filled to bursting with hope when they did it too. The ultimate evil.

Makoto is secretly just another one of Junko's personalities.

I know this might blow everyone away but.......triplets.

kewlmyc

I apologize if this was already brought up. I just finished the game and, even though I was expecting the evantual evolution of the "Ultimate Lucky Student" into the "Ultimate Hope" because of Makoto's optimism and main character status, I enjoyed when it happened.

Yeah, that's a bug. A weird one at that...

I think it's just that Hina just isn't good at investigating which at the start of this isn't a bad thing, like how Sakura and Mondo spent their time guarding the murdered instead. But, after your numbers dwindle, it becomes kinda obvious that she isn't doing really that much in helping out.

Also, up to chapter 4 she was probably still telling herself everything will be fine. It's probably after what happens to Sakura she cracks and tries to be more serious. I mean, I'll rather have her on my invesigation team instead of Toko or Hiro.

Of course that'd probably have meant exchanging his death with one of the other characters, and I can't say any surviving characters would have benefited from getting the axe instead of him. I think they really chose the best balance of the only ones who had consistent conviction... or were just too dumb to die (Hiro).

I dunno, if Hiro got killed instead we wouldn't have to be subjected to IS KIRIGIRI A GHOST? /totallynotbiased

I almost feel like they didn't know where to take his character at that point and he was dead before they had to write more for it. I feel there was still development to be there (at least enough room for him to realize that accepting Mondo's death would require him to get past this weird fusion that his brain had created in its grief state) but that's the liberty they get with this game, it would have been silly if everyone's plot points had been all wrapped up neatly before each of their deaths.

Another question, was I the only one that felt that Junko's split personality.....thing was a mock of each of the characters? For example, the high and mighty Junko with the king hat reminded me of Byakuya, the aloof Junko covering her face with her hand made me think of Kyoko, the cutesy Junko made me think of Hina, and obviously her holding Monokuma up was just her playing the Monokuma character again but it also reminded me of Genocide Jill (which is probably more due to the fact that Erin Fitzgerald did both of those voices).

The developers do admit they didn't enough with Ishida. Or anything with them at all. He doesn't even have free time. No wonder Ishida isn't as popular as Ishimaru.

Yep, I imagine that was what they were going for.
Hands in face = Kirigiri
Tongue Sticking Out = Jill
Glasses = super duper prick Byakuya
Cutesy face = Aoi
Mushrooms = Toki
Just Makoto doesn't have one cause screaming like a bitch isn't a character trait, cause he's actually Junko cause being short and stupid isn't worthwhile to copy.

I dunno, screaming all the time would bring despair to others.

Sorian

Banned
Just Makoto doesn't have one cause screaming like a bitch isn't a character trait, cause he's actually Junko cause being short and stupid isn't worthwhile to copy.

Hmmm both Junko and Makoto scream like bitches.......I think what you may be on to something.

redhood56

Banned
Does anyone know where to find the monokuma sprite when he is on the slot machine? I tried to look it up, and almost spoiled dr2 for me, thank god i was only half paying attention.

Dugna

Again I say I wish Hiro didn't survive, I mean he looks like the retarded comic relief of the game if you never go through his story. But that bastard just wants your organs and shit.

Volcynika

I'm missing an event in the Event Gallery. It's between Mystery Photo (1) and Cash Money. Can anyone help me with what it is?

Sorian

Banned
0-o

What point is it at?

Do you remember when Monokuma asked if you wanted to spy on the girls in the bath and Makoto acted like such a gentleman and said he would never dream of it? Have "The Man's Fantasy" item and all of that will change.

LX_Theo

Banned
One of the big things that still strikes me as odd is how they decided to kill off the majority of the characters earlier on in the game. I kept second guessing myself on how the plot would unfold because I couldn't help but think it was a sign of something fishy.

Stuff like time travel or virtual reality where the scenario would play over again (but Makoto would keep a good amount of his memories this time) after the survivors made it to a revealing but still bad ending were considered by me.

In the end, all that wasted opportunity at character moments and development was simply that. Its the nature of the story, but the dev's willingness to kill early and often had me second guessing my self. If that was the point, then good job.

Noi

At the very beginning I almost thought that, due to the nature of how Free Time worked, the people who got off'd could vary depending on who I spent time with. That thought went on until Chapter 2, where I realized that no, people could just get killed off in the middle of spending time with them.

Sorian

Banned
One of the big things that still strikes me as odd is how they decided to kill off the majority of the characters earlier on in the game. I kept second guessing myself on how the plot would unfold because I couldn't help but think it was a sign of something fishy.

Stuff like time travel or virtual reality where the scenario would play over again (but Makoto would keep a good amount of his memories this time) after the survivors made it to a revealing but still bad ending were considered by me.

In the end, all that wasted opportunity at character moments and development was simply that. Its the nature of the story, but the dev's willingness to kill early and often had me second guessing my self. If that was the point, then good job.

image.php

---

But seriously, it is part of the point. The whole hope vs. despair thing wasn't just for the characters but for you as well. Of course, you'll choose favorites and, of course, some of those favorites will get killed and it hurts more people if that happens early and often.

trinest

Yeah the whole thing I don't get is who is behind it all. Yes I know what the story is. But the obviously she dies. But there is a sequel, like...who is the grand puppet master?

And what really happened outside the school, is it fine? Like I highly doubt some kind of revolution based on everyone where that Teddy Bears face happened.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah the whole thing I don't get is who is behind it all. Yes I know what the story is. But the obviously she dies. But there is a sequel, like...who is the grand puppet master?

And what really happened outside the school, is it fine? Like I highly doubt some kind of revolution based on everyone where that Teddy Bears face happened.

Guess we will have to wait for SDR2, upupupupu ~~ ♪

Saying who's behind the second game will of course literally be a spoiler~

Just wait for it to see who's the mastermind!

LX_Theo

Banned
[Image]

---

But seriously, it is part of the point. The whole hope vs. despair thing wasn't just for the characters but for you as well. Of course, you'll choose favorites and, of course, some of those favorites will get killed and it hurts more people if that happens early and often.

Oh, yeah. I get that. The despair part of it really struck me after the first execution. I had no idea that they'd go in such a brutal direction with it, showing as much as they did. I was also pretty sad when "Junko" died. :(

It still feels like a bit of a waste to do it all so early, though. I'll stand by that. There are certainly alternatives that have the same effect. I don't doubt it doing its job well, though. Though, in the end, it was just an observation I made while playing that fueled some theories.

Trigger

Sequel hooks, my brother. Sequel hooks. The game was rather well-written in that regard.

Top Bottom