• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

scosher

CcrooK said:
Where is this nest I need to get back to the Asylum?

Take elevator to Undead Parish, but jump off of it after it goes up only a few feet to land on an upper platform. Get to the grass, roll onto the ledge, then follow the path (stairs) to a nest and curl up like a fetus. Wait 15 secs, and the raven will take you away.

anddo0

EasyMode said:
Do you mean the gate unlocked by the crest opens if you beat
the wolf
? If so, I should have spent my souls on something else.

You can access the forest by taking the path to the left of the
Hydra
. It allows you to enter the heart of the forest free of charge.

matmanx1

Brandon F said:
Not really certain what these broken scaling comments are about. I've noticed massive gains in raw damage by pumping up Dex for my bows and 'dex based equipment'(scimitar and such).

I haven't crunched any data though, but I'd like people to elaborate. Are the STR and DEX scaling on a softer scale to say INT and FAITH scaling? Just annoyed that so few options exist with crafting for pure STR/DEX builds compared to the Magic classes?

My thought is that bows are a little bit of a special case anyway because you can always add elemental damage to one by simply changing ammunition. In which case you are still getting your nice dex damage bonus from the bow while using that fire or poison arrow, etc. I'd still like to know if its possible to ascend a normal bow to a fire or lightning version, though. If not then I am sure that there's a Dark Souls equivalent to the Lava Bow that is imbued in the special upgrade with boss soul process.

Sullichin

duckroll said:
There are two ways to remove a curse:

a) You can use a Purging Stone.

b) You can wear the Rare Ring of Sacrifice, and die.

Method A is much better because method B is kinda a waste. There are several ways to get a Purging Stone.

1) Buy it from the Undead Merchant at the end of the Firelink/Undead Burg aqueduct. This requires that you have unlocked that shortcut. It costs 6000 souls there.

2) After you ring the first bell -
Buy it from Goddess of Sin guy who appeared. He sells it for 3000 souls.

3) Undead Asylum -
Return to the Undead Asylum, and trade with the crow. Trading 1 Cracked Red Eye Orb will get you 2 Purging Stones.

How do I #3
trade with the crow? I left the item in the nest, when I quit and reload my game it was gone and no purging stones
?

scosher

Sullichin said:
How do I #3
trade with the crow? I left the item in the nest, when I quit and reload my game it was gone and no purging stones
?

Are you at the right nest? There's another nest if you go slightly down the hill when first arriving at Undead Asylum again, and then to the left. You'll see a ledge with a crow nest and Sparkly/Smuggly will ask you to give her something warm and soft upon approaching. Drop the item in the nest, quit, and reload. New item should be there.

You can only trade an item once, then she'll no longer want it

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Great idea for a thread!

It's proven incredibly useful for answering a few of my questions.

I've gotten into the habit of kindling a bonfire whenever I see a ghostly person standing there when I walk by. I'm assuming that it's giving them an extra estus flask each time I do it, and I like thinking that I'm giving somebody an extra shot at victory in some small way!

I played way too much of this over the weekend, and I wish I was at home playing it now. I frigging love this game, and I'm enjoying it much more than Demon's Souls (which I also loved to death).

I've encountered a few tough bosses that have frustrated me, but overall, the game isn't as difficult as I was expecting, and I feel such a sense of satisfaction when I finally get past a part.

Any tips on playing as a Cleric. I'm at about Soul Level 22 or 23 now, but I'm wearing heavy armor and wielding a battle axe +5. I only have Soul Arrow as an offensive spell. I've been holding my own, but I'm wondering if my knights armor is hurting my stats. It doesn't really seem like it, but I feel like I may be moving slower than I was when I was wearing just my Cleric gear.

Sullichin

scosher said:
Are you at the right nest? There's another nest if you go slightly down the hill when first arriving at Undead Asylum again, and then to the left. You'll see a ledge with a crow nest and Sparkly/Smuggly will ask you to give her something warm and soft upon approaching. Drop the item in the nest, quit, and reload. New item should be there.

You can only trade an item once, then she'll no longer want it

. I'm confused. If I leave from firelink, the crow takes me to Undead Asylum, at another nest. There's one below that nest? I never even got out to explore that area again.

duckroll

I have a question about Sen's Fortress.

Is there another way to take out the fucking annoying mages who are hanging around in high places always ahead of you without using a bow? I don't have any arrows, and I don't see any other way up other than the path with the fucking mage up top, and there's no way I'm going to try evading the swinging axes on the second floor without killing him first. If I have to go buy some arrows, I will, but I'm hoping I don't.

scosher

Sullichin said:
. I'm confused. If I leave from firelink, the crow takes me to Undead Asylum, at another nest. There's one below that nest? I never even got out to explore that area again.

Yes, there's another nest. Slightly down the hill and to the left, you'll see the ledge.

Items spoiler:
Also, if you haven't really explored on your return, you really should. There's some good items/encounters to be found -- notably, a ring, shield, black knight fight, and boss fight. You can do this at a pretty early level, if you have the Drake Sword.

Lombax

Banned
Ostinatto said:
how do i kill permanently

the skeletons in the catacombs

if you exit blighttown through the side where you take the water wheel up [you you can use the master key to unlock a door in the ruins under the firelink shrine] you will exit into the dragon lands [?] that path has two wasy you can go. take a right and you will see a sleeping dragon [fyi you are going to die] that dragon has two corpses with look on them. One of them is a sword [cant recall the name] but if you use that sword to kill the skeletons they will be perma dead.

good hunting

Ken

duckroll said:

Is there another way to take out the fucking annoying mages who are hanging around in high places always ahead of you without using a bow? I don't have any arrows, and I don't see any other way up other than the path with the fucking mage up top, and there's no way I'm going to try evading the swinging axes on the second floor without killing him first. If I have to go buy some arrows, I will, but I'm hoping I don't.
I don't remember running into any terribly annoying casters on that stage, and I didn't need to pull out my bow while in there. Try using a shield to block his casts? They don't seem to knock me back too much while blocking so I could just run between two pendulums, block, and run at him. Not much other advice I can give but you can get through without using any ranged weapons.

duckroll

Maffis said:
How do I upgrade magic? I play Pyromancer and I want to upgrade my fireball spell.

You don't upgrade spells. Instead you upgrade your Pyromancer Flame, which leads to all pyormancy spells doing more damage. You can also learn new spells, as well as buy multiple copies of the same spell to stack the uses. For a Pyromancer, don't bother with putting points into intelligence. Your first goal should be to rescue the Pyromancer trainer who is in the Depths. That could be.... 10 hours into the game or so. So be patient.

duckroll said:

to my knowledge besides magic nope, those guys are frustrating. Especially the one at the highest level.

Zeth

How can I upgrade my gold hemmed armor? Not possible? Or specific blacksmith? I'm in Anor Londo but haven't found one yet (the elite archers are a bitch)

Booshka

duckroll said:

I suggest using Arrows, but there are some of the mages that you can avoid their attacks by using the environment. They never move from their perch, so if you just use the environment to block their spell then move in between casts, it can sometimes work. It's tough though, I suggest just getting some arrows.

TheExodu5

Banned
duckroll said:

I used to obsess about taking them out, but then I realized that it's really not that hard to cross, as long as you're willing to block a few shots. The second one op top on the super thin beam might be an issue though...never tried running through him without killing him first.

There are really only two you need to get through. The first one on the second floor. And the second that's on the left of the narrow beam.

Raxus

What should I look for, better armor with more points in endurance or should I put points into vitality. I am at the swamp with my pyromancer/battlemage and I have the drake sword and I like the mobility I have at the moment. I think I hit all the critical areas, I have 5 spell slots, and I purchased a shit ton of magic and pyromancy spells, I still need to get miracles but I figure it is inefficient to juggle 3 schools of magic at the moment. Plus, the trainer seems to be leaving firelink shrine.

TL;DR: I want to make sure my character is set for future encounters. I can get her specific stats later tonight.

Noaloha

Indictment Slips.

Are they something you manually use or do they automatically report invaders that kill you? If the former, do you need to use it during the invasion and then be unfortunate enough to die or do you use it post-death and it remembers the last invader?

Old Witch's Ring

Also, and this is more of a tentative question which I may or may not read the response to -- for my gift at the start of the game I chose the Witch's Ring, simply because I was in full role-playing mode during character creation and I liked the mystery surrounding it. Is there anything (vague) that I should know about with regards to this item? In terms of does it apply to specific builds.. can the benefit be missed entirely.. will all become clear in the course of the game and I need not spend any thought on it.. does the ring *only* exist as a trade item? etc. As mentioned, I don't really want spoiling on it, but if the item has very specific requirements, or requirements that don't fit into my playstyle then I'm much more whatever about it.

MedIC86

Okay i need some help:

im at the gargoyle on the church roof, i need to summon the npc/other player to help me, but im hollowed so i cant summon...is there any way to get humanity easy in the parts of the game i have acces to? i dont feel like grinding forever just to get a chance on humanity

Interfectum

Felix Lighter said:
How was the developer support for Demon's Souls? Just bug fixes or did they also modify balance with patches?

Thinking of this, has From Software said anything (twitter, forums, etc) about Dark Souls post release? Any plans for patches, support, etc?

dewkl

Neo Member
Black Knight Greatsword. Trying to find this. I killed the knight at the top of the tower near the red dragon, but he didn't drop it.

Are there more of these knights I can kill? So I can get the greatsword.

Raxus

MedIC86 said:
Okay i need some help:

im at the gargoyle on the church roof, i need to summon the npc/other player to help me, but im hollowed so i cant summon...is there any way to get humanity easy in the parts of the game i have acces to? i dont feel like grinding forever just to get a chance on humanity
The rats under the dragon when you first enter the undead parish.

kodt

Banned
MedIC86 said:
Okay i need some help:

The undead merchant sells it for 5000 souls.

Or you could put your sign down to be summoned, if are summoned and kill a boss you will be awarded with humanity.

duckroll

Toodles said:
Old Witch's Ring

Also, and this is more of a tentative question which I may or may not read the response to -- for my gift at the start of the game I chose the Witch's Ring, simply because I was in full role-playing mode during character creation and I liked the mystery surrounding it. Is there anything (vague) that I should know about with regards to this item? In terms of does it apply to specific builds.. can the benefit be missed entirely.. will all become clear in the course of the game and I need not spend any thought on it.. does the ring *only* exist as a trade item? etc. As mentioned, I don't really want spoiling on it, but if the item has very specific requirements, or requirements that don't fit into my playstyle then I'm much more whatever about it.

This item will come in handy if you reach the point where you find a use for it. If you like roleplaying with the mystique of the ring, you probably won't be disappointed as it is not a trade item, and it is not an item which has a direct impact on player builds in terms of stats.

Noaloha

duckroll said:
This item will come in handy if you reach the point where you find a use for it. If you like roleplaying with the mystique of the ring, you probably won't be disappointed as it is not a trade item, and it is not an item which has a direct impact on player builds in terms of stats.
Thanks. :]

That's pretty much exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Toodles said:
Indictment Slips.

Are they something you manually use or do they automatically report invaders that kill you? If the former, do you need to use it during the invasion and then be unfortunate enough to die or do you use it post-death and it remembers the last invader?
From my experience whenever you die by invader if you've got indictment slips it'll automatically pop up asking if you want to report the player.

MedIC86 said:
Okay i need some help:

you can either be summoned by someone in front of the boss area(a good place to get summoned as its common) or you can use a humanity item if you have one.

Zeliard

duckroll said:

Arrows don't do much appreciable damage to them even with a DEX build, anyway. You can sit there and launch some arrows at them but I just find bombing tons of arrows at enemies from afar to be boring.

Basically I just used my Eagle Shield with its 75% lightning resistance and just blocked their lightning attacks as I walk up to them to introduce them to Mr. Iaito. Their attack takes off a bit of health, sure, but not too much and then they're out of my fucking way. Their attack can also occasionally be blocked by the
enormous swinging scythe traps

Noaloha

NightHawk17 said:
From my experience whenever you die by invader if you've got indictment slips it'll automatically pop up asking if you want to report the player.
Nice, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

C-Jo

So I got to
Lordran
and thought it would be a good idea to push the NPC sitting by the bonfire off the side of the cliff. How badly did I screw things up for later?

jay

In Area 1 - can you kill that black knight?

I killed him very early on by running back up the stairs leading to him, jumping off a cracked spot in the nearby tower, then jumping from that area down to the little lip that connects to the other side of the black knight's area. He is pretty large and clumsy so he is apt to fall to his death if you try this, but it doesn't always work.

Brobzoid said:
Prisoner in the lower undeadburg:
there is a door in the area outside of the Capra demon boss fight where someone is locked in and asking for help. where do I find the key to this door?

To free him
Buy the Undead Burg resident key or whatever it's called from the merchant in Undead Burg for 1000 souls. That's the key you need.

Quick question about Optional / Secret Areas:

According to the Dark Souls wiki there are three: The Great Hollow, Ash Lake, and Painted World of Ariamis. Can someone tell me how to access those areas? I want to make sure I don't miss anything, thanks.

I got a few questions, not really lost so to say but more or less questions on items and people I talk too. As for my progress, rang first bell and pretty much cleaned up/killed everything and unlocked most crap. Need to go back to Solara area and start going down throguh the basement door.

Ok, heres were Im at now lvl and equip wise.

First of all, Im struggling on leveling. I mean Ive killed the Taurus, got the Drake sword, killed the gargoyles and rang the bell and even killed lighting demon guarding the enterance to the woods. I as well to have slaughtered every black knight/wizard Ive seen leading up to the lifts.
But through it all...I always die and lose my souls and cant get them back lol. I'm pushing through the game stuck at lvl 16 cause even tho I beat stuff I never have enough souls to level or I just plain old lose um lol. ANy nice farming spot?

Im SL 16, still using my drake and a mix of Full leather armor and Knights armor (found it down in the woods past the lighting boss. Ay suggestions on if I should start an upgrade on a weapon soon? I have yet to pay a blacksmith to touch anything.

Also, covenants..I havent joined up with any thus far? Should I?

Spent 2 fire souls to upgrade flask to lvl2? Should I just use them to do this or is there other uses for them?

Like demon souls i cashed in some hero souls large and small a ouple times, good idea or bad idea?

SO any suggestions or insight into where Im at?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I have been playing over 4 hours and keep dying vs. the
Taurus Demon.
Help? I have tried using fore bombs and fireballs as I am pyromancer but I'm dead in 2 hits and have trouble using my Estus flasks.

Carbonox

shantyman said:
Taurus Demon.
Help? I have tried using fore bombs and fireballs as I am pyromancer but I'm dead in 2 hits and have trouble using my Estus flasks.

You know when you go through the fog to get to that boss? You come out of a tower? Turn around before initiating the fight and you'll see a ladder to your left with two archers. That's your key. Kill them first and then go to initiate the fight. At the start, run straight back for the ladder, climb up and wait for him to arrive at the bottom of the tower, run off the tower and hold R1 whilst falling to do severe damage. Rinse and repeat. Make it happen quickly otherwise the bastard will jump up.

shantyman said:
Taurus Demon.
climb the ladder to the right of the door you came out in, kill the skeletons, then cross the bridge until he comes out, jet back to the ladder, climb on top, do a drop attack from above, repeat, shouldn't take long

Carbonox

Sorry for my retardation but how does the save system work in this game? I returned to the game earlier and resumed where I had left off (last bonfire I sat next to). Basically, where ever you last sat at, you'll start from where reloading is concerned? Do you keep all your souls you acquired?

So for example, I have 8000 souls. I rest at a bonfire and then call it a day. If I reload, will I be at that same bonfire and still have 8000 souls?

explodet said:
The fact that non-humans have a higher drop rate for Humanity items amuses me to no end.

It's cos the non-humans eat all the humans and their items, then forget to take a dump. Ta-da!

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Sorry for my retardation but how does the save system work in this game? I returned to the game earlier and resumed where I had left off (last bonfire I sat next to). Basically, where ever you last sat at, you'll start from where reloading is concerned? Do you keep all your souls you acquired?

So for example, I have 8000 souls. I rest at a bonfire and then call it a day. If I reload, will I be at that same bonfire and still have 8000 souls?
auto-save. You can pretty much quit the game anywhere as far as I've seen and still pick up exactly where you left off. Just make sure to quit the game normally.

-Pyromaniac- said:
auto-save. You can pretty much quit the game anywhere as far as I've seen and still pick up exactly where you left off. Just make sure to quit the game normally.

Ive done the old demon souls trick and turned my PS3 off as soon as I died and when I reloaded my save I was standing right where I died and my soul blood stain was a few feet from me =D

Carbonox

-Pyromaniac- said:

With all your souls in-tact? Thank fuck. It's taken me like an hour and a half to amass 8000+ souls from these tree creatures. :lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Carbonox_Ratchet said:

The game saves CONSTANTLY. You can quit the game in right after a fight a long ways from a bonfire and you will start right back there.

Ken

Sir Garbageman said:
To free him
Buy the Undead Burg resident key or whatever it's called from the merchant in Undead Burg for 1000 souls. That's the key you need.

Quick question about Optional / Secret Areas:

According to the Dark Souls wiki there are three: The Great Hollow, Ash Lake, and Painted World of Ariamis. Can someone tell me how to access those areas? I want to make sure I don't miss anything, thanks.
Bottom floor of Blighttown in the poison swamp, find a large root that leads to a path and a corpse. Attack the wall to break the illusionary wall. Do the same for the wall behind the treasure chest. This will lead you to GH and going down GH will bring you to Ash Lake.

You need a doll to enter the painting that you can get from revisiting the Undead Asylum in your starting cell.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
With all your souls in-tact? Thank fuck. It's taken me like an hour and a half to amass 8000+ souls from these tree creatures. :lol
pretty sure that's a yes. Bonfires aren't really save locations, the game auto-saves anywhere.

Interfectum said:
right now i have the drake sword but for future reference what weapon should i be looking out for to upgrade (+10, +5 lightning) for a wanderer dex build? do people usually stick with upgrading the scimitar?

Same build for me too. I upgraded my scimitar once, but I highly highly highly recommend the Estoc. Like a spear, you can attack with your shield up and it helps TONS. It's super quick (can easily interrupt enemies), has great range and the jumping lunge attack is fantastic. It's also not too heavy (like the Drake sword), which is really important to maintain under 25% equip burden.

54-46!

Roof boss fight, keep getting my ass handed to me over and over when the second
Bell Gargoyle
join in on the fun, any tips? taking down the first one 1on1 is not a problem.

I'm a Warrior.

Top Bottom