• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

54-46! said:
Roof boss fight, keep getting my ass handed to me over and over when the second
Bell Gargoyle
join in on the fun, any tips? taking down the first one 1on1 is not a problem.

I'm a Warrior.
After you take out the first one try running to the other end of where you came out on the ledge to the right, you might find a nice niche there to work.

Orayn

explodet said:
The fact that non-humans have a higher drop rate for Humanity items amuses me to no end.
If you read the item description on loading screens, it says that "humanity" is not what makes someone human in an abstract, philosophical sense. Rather, it's a magical essence found in Lordran that keeps hollows warm, fleshy, and sane when consumed. Still kind of weird that you'd find it on rats, though. Maybe they've got an affinity for it...

54-46! said:
Bell Gargoyle

I'm a Warrior.

All I did was go human form and summon 2 guys to help me. Beat him on the second try in maybe 20 seconds.
Once I had him down in health and then his buddy jumped in and then they both started spewing fire I said "F this" and just found help right outside the white fog.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Sir Garbageman said:
To free him
Buy the Undead Burg resident key or whatever it's called from the merchant in Undead Burg for 1000 souls. That's the key you need.
cheers mate. I guess I figured the master key would supplant something that sounded so basic.

Interfectum

walbertsmith said:
Same build for me too. I upgraded my scimitar once, but I highly highly highly recommend the Estoc. Like a spear, you can attack with your shield up and it helps TONS. It's super quick (can easily interrupt enemies), has great range and the jumping lunge attack is fantastic. It's also not too heavy (like the Drake sword), which is really important to maintain under 25% equip burden.

where can i find the estoc at? after blight town im assuming?

Interfectum said:

I havent been to blight yet and I found it. I think it was down near the ghost

Im sure many know but even if you cant fight creatures in an area due to there weakness you dont possess or even if your to low a level you can still do suiside runs for items.

Ive ran my ass off and had full leather armor and tons of weapons and items by running aroudn the woods and even down were the ghost are.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Thanks for the pointers. I just learned of that technique last night but was not sure how well it would work.

I beat Demon's Souls so I went into this one cocky. :(

Home

Sir Garbageman said:
I have that item, what do I do with it? Thanks.

In Anor Londo there's a large room with a ton of those white thief guys in it. It's a huge room. In the back you'll see a giant painting, pretty much the size of the entire back wall of the room. You run up to it and find a spot where you can interact. Then you go in. If you do, I'd recommend going in as human if possible.

Ken

Sir Garbageman said:
I have that item, what do I do with it? Thanks.
Oh, sorry. I thought you knew about the painting through encountering it in the game. Do what Home says.

genjiZERO

So I haven't picked up the game yet because of the whole NewEgg screwed me yet, and I'm a little confused on what to do. Should I just bite the bullet and pick up the regular version? If so should I take the 20 off from NewEgg or is there any other places I can get it for the same price for. My ass is still burning on this and it isn't the hemorrhoids...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Question time :

1) Just got the ability to
Warp between bonfires
How much left percentage wise?

2) What do I do with the following items :

The starting gift : Peculiar doll.
Dried Finger.
Coins.
Sunlight medal.

If possible, keep it spoilerfree with regards to my progression mentioned in question 1.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

genjiZERO said:
So I haven't picked up the game yet because of the whole NewEgg screwed me yet, and I'm a little confused on what to do. Should I just bite the bullet and pick up the regular version? If so should I take the 20 off from NewEgg or is there any other places I can get it for the same price for. My ass is still burning on this and it isn't the hemorrhoids...
Just go for the regular edition if it's cheapest with the coupon. The tin and art book aren't amazing, and you can find most of the images in the art book online.

Interfectum said:

I got it really early in fact; haven't done Blight Town in my game yet. I think it's in the New Londo Ruins, down the long elevator from the Firelink Shrine. I think it's just one of the early items you find on random corpses in the early part of the Ruins (don't go down to the water just yet though; the ghosts are killer).

sixghost

54-46! said:
Bell Gargoyle

I'm a Warrior.
Do you have any gold resin? It makes you do a TON more damage to them. The way I did it was to get the first gargoyle to just over 1/2, then applied to gold resin, and started wailing on the first one. I got the first one close to death before the 2nd was able to get over to us, then I just played safe while looking for opportunities to finish off the 1st one. Then it's back to 1v1.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Corky said:
Question time :

1) Just got the ability to
Warp between bonfires
How much left percentage wise?

2) What do I do with the following items :

The starting gift : Peculiar doll.
Dried Finger.
Coins.
Sunlight medal.

If possible, keep it spoilerfree with regards to my progression mentioned in question 1.

Thanks in advance.

You've got probably about another 15-20% left to do.

Peculiar Doll lets you enter the
Painted World of Ariamas
from Anor Londo.
Dried Finger prevents invasions into your world and can be traded at the nest.
Coins are (I think) good only for cashing in for souls at Frampt.
Sunlight Medals are used for leveling up in the Warrior of Sunlight covenant.

Anyone know of a place to farm Red Titanite Chunks that is not in Lost Izalith?

Also, how many chunks are required for each progression? For example, suppose I've got a Halberd+5 and I want to get a Fire Halberd+10.

Modify Equipment: Halberd+5 -> Fire Halberd Red Titanite Chunk x?
Reinforce Equip: Fire Halberd -> Fire Halberd +1 Red Titanite Chunk x?
Reinforce Equip: Fire Halberd+1 -> Fire Halberd +2 Red Titanite Chunk x?
Reinforce Equip: Fire Halberd+2 -> Fire Halberd +3 Red Titanite Chunk x?
Reinforce Equip: Fire Halberd+3 -> Fire Halberd +4 Red Titanite Chunk x?

Anyone know? Is it just 1 chunk every single time or does it scale up with level like with the other types of shards?

Grinchy

Banned
The other upgrading chart that was posted was pretty scrunched up, so here's the full-sized one if anyone wants it. (Unless the last one was somehow linked to the full size one, which it didn't seem to be)

tQnzA.jpg

MoxManiac

Geek said:

Painted World of Ariamas
from Anor Londo.

Is dried finger a consumable or is it always active as long as you are holding it?

Wimps

Wondering how I can efficiently invade other players. I know I need one red eye cracked orb everytime I do it, but do I need some kind of other soapstone? And if so, where do I get it.

Corky

Geek said:

Painted World of Ariamas
from Anor Londo.

thank you very much.

edit : while I'm at it, what's the point of offering humanity to my current covenant, the
chaos
one.

All I seem to get is just a leaderboard stat. Or am I wrong?

xuchu

Hi, I've just joined the forest hunter covenant and am going to do a little forest farming. To use that ring they give you do you have to be in human form or does it not matter? Also, do I have to be in that forest to get summoned by them or can I be anywhere?

genjiZERO

Ken said:
Just go for the regular edition if it's cheapest with the coupon. The tin and art book aren't amazing, and you can find most of the images in the art book online.

it's largely for the principal of the matter, but more than that the collectors edition is fetching 100 right now. Newegg made me an offer for the game at $50 which I accepted, they cancelled on me at the last moment so I couldn't find another place to find it. Unfortunately I don't think that 40 for the regular edition is enough of a discount to make up for the poorer situation they have left me in. The whole situation is just sour to me.

Wimps

xuchu said:
Hi, I've just joined the forest hunter covenant and am going to do a little forest farming. To use that ring they give you do you have to be in human form or does it not matter? Also, do I have to be in that forest to get summoned by them or can I be anywhere?
You don't have to be in human form. Neither do you have to be in the forest. All you need to do is have the ring equipped.

JudgeN

54-46! said:
Bell Gargoyle

I'm a Warrior.

Get drake sword then fuck'em up and don't forget to cut off tail.

I just beat the
Gaping Dragon
and I'm really starting to think I need a new weapon. I've been using the Bandit's Knife ever since I started as a Thief, and upgraded it to +5 after the
gargoyles
, but it seems like its really starting to lag behind (took forever to kill
Gaping Dragon
, maybe because the Blood Loss effect didn't work?).

Are there any other good knives or Dex weapons I should upgrade to? I've been dumping most of my stats into Vit/End/Dex, so my strength is pretty low. Also, where can I get the Parrying Dagger?

NEO0MJ

I was woundering about the master key. Is there any requirements to using it? How do I know what doors it opens?

Anilusion

Where should I be going? I'm in
Undead Parish
and I've just found the
blacksmith
, and I
killed the demon
in the room next to him. Then I pushed on and explored the
woods that were past that room and found Wolf Ring.
But I'm thinking there is more to do in
Undead Parish since the OP mentions a boss. There is a closed gate with a heavy armored dude sitting outside.

Ken

NEO0MJ said:
I was woundering about the master key. Is there any requirements to using it? How do I know what doors it opens?
Try it on a door and it will tell you what key you used to open it. No requirements to use it other than to have it in your inventory.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
MoxManiac said:
Is dried finger a consumable or is it always active as long as you are holding it?
It's a consumable, in a sense, but it has multiple uses. Not sure how many! It's worth consuming if you're going human to deal with a boss fight/summon an NPC phantom and don't want to be invaded along the way.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Corky said:
thank you very much.

edit : while I'm at it, what's the point of offering humanity to my current covenant, the
chaos
one.

All I seem to get is just a leaderboard stat. Or am I wrong?
If you offer 10 humanity, you'll rank up in her covenant. Another 10 and you'll rank up again. There's some reward for doing so, but I couldn't tell you what it was off the top of my head. Many covenants are like this, offering armor/weapon/item rewards and unique spells as you progress.

Corky

Geek said:
If you offer 10 humanity, you'll rank up in her covenant. Another 10 and you'll rank up again. There's some reward for doing so, but I couldn't tell you what it was off the top of my head. Many covenants are like this, offering armor/weapon/item rewards and unique spells as you progress.

I see, thank you.

I've defeated:

Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Capra Demon
Bell Gargoyles
Moonlight Butterfly
Gaping Dragon
Hydra
Quelaag
Ornstein/Smough
Great Gray Wolf Sif
I went through the painting in Anor Londo but I chose not to kill Priscilla

My next stop is
New Londo Ruins

I'm SL60. Am I ridiculously over leveled? Hearing that Dex scaling is basically broken bothers me. I dumped so many points into dexterity with the plan of using a long sword +15 ultimately.

Lombax

Banned
just curious anyone in the blighttown swamp come across a glowing eye in the floor near the bonfire? it was the something, dragons? i think. No ideal what it was.
I would love to know how its it triggered.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Lombax said:
just curious anyone in the blighttown swamp come across a glowing eye in the floor near the bonfire? it was the something, dragons? i think. No ideal what it was.
I would love to know how its it triggered.
I'm guessing that was a summon sign related to
The Path of the Dragons
. You may only see them if you're in that covenant.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
54-46! said:
Bell Gargoyle

I'm a Warrior.

I didn't find the battle terribly difficult, it actually went way better than I was anticipating.

I'll spoiler tag this just in case:

I used Soul Arrows on the first, and as a happy bonus, when it would hit him, it would hit the second one too. I just kept my distance and lobbed them at them. If opportunity arose, I would wack it in the back with my axe. I imagine if you don't have any ranged attacks, try keeping to the rear of the boss, and employ a "stick and move" strategy, instead of maybe wasting all of your stamina with repeated attacks. By the time I fought them I was also around soul level 21/22, so maybe that helped a bit as well.

Is there a boss in Blighttown? I found the entrances to Quelaag's Domain and the Valley of Drakes, but I don't remember seeing any more fog doors.

Also, once you wake the poison dragon up in the Valley of Drakes, does he stay awake permanently or can I sneak past him again?

Loving this game!

got a question about the forest covenant:

I just joined the cat covenant, can I still farm the souls of the npc warriors? (kill them)
I've gotten good at taking them out pretty quickly without using the 'over the cliff by the stairs' glitch. I've been using them as npc sparring partners. It's helped me step up my game, and provided the best place yet to farm souls quickly

just want to know if killing them would spoil my place in the forest hunter covenant.

anybody know for sure if it's safe or not?

Timber

Chinpoko_Master said:
Is there a boss in Blighttown? I found the entrances to Quelaag's Domain and the Valley of Drakes, but I don't remember seeing any more fog doors.

Also, once you wake the poison dragon up in the Valley of Drakes, does he stay awake permanently or can I sneak past him again?
blighttown boss is in quelaag's domain. SPOILER IT'S QUELAAG LOL

big dragon seems to stay awake permanently after you wake him

Felix Lighter said:
I'm SL60. Am I ridiculously over leveled? Hearing that Dex scaling is basically broken bothers me. I dumped so many points into dexterity with the plan of using a long sword +15 ultimately.

What do you mean by this?

Macattk15

Saint Francis said:
Loving this game!

got a question about the forest covenant:

I just joined the cat covenant, can I still farm the souls of the npc warriors? (kill them)
I've gotten good at taking them out pretty quickly without using the 'over the cliff by the stairs' glitch. I've been using them as npc sparring partners. It's helped me step up my game, and provided the best place yet to farm souls quickly

just want to know if killing them would spoil my place in the forest hunter covenant.

anybody know for sure if it's safe or not?

Don't kill them. If you do, you're out of the covenant.

Grinchy said:
The other upgrading chart that was posted was pretty scrunched up, so here's the full-sized one if anyone wants it. (Unless the last one was somehow linked to the full size one, which it didn't seem to be)

What do the numbers mean along the lines connecting the squares? Like from Normal+5 to Fire+5 it says 05, and them from Fire+5 to Fire+10 it says 08/09. What does this mean?

Top Bottom