• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Frostburn

_dementia said:
Is the hardcover guide worth it or can I just get by with this thread?

You don't need the guide but it is a great resource. It is the most complete guide for a game this complex I've seen in a while and it is damn pretty. The thread here should be more than enough to get by however.

cpp_is_king said:
What do the numbers mean along the lines connecting the squares? Like from Normal+5 to Fire+5 it says 05, and them from Fire+5 to Fire+10 it says 08/09. What does this mean?

They match up with the crafting materials in the key on the lower right.

Felix Lighter said:
They match up with the crafting materials in the key on the lower right.

Ahh, do you know of a reference anywhere that says exactly how many of each thing is needed for each level? I'm trying to figure out how many Red Titanite Chunks I need to get a weapon to Fire+9

Dumb question, haven't tried allowing myself to be summoned into someone else's game. Do I have to stick around my sign when I put it down or can i go off exploring and if I get summoned it wraps me back to the original spot?

cpp_is_king said:
Ahh, do you know of a reference anywhere that says exactly how many of each thing is needed for each level? I'm trying to figure out how many Red Titanite Chunks I need to get a weapon to Fire+9

If I were to guess I'd say

+ 6 = 1
+ 7 = 1
+ 8 = 2
+ 9 = 2
+ 10 = 3

so to get to +9, I'd guess 6 total but that is based on other upgrades.

Sir Garbageman said:
Dumb question, haven't tried allowing myself to be summoned into someone else's game. Do I have to stick around my sign when I put it down or can i go off exploring and if I get summoned it wraps me back to the original spot?
You only can go so far, the sign will disappear if you venture off the cutoff point.

Is there a guide to covenants? I'm in the one that the guy in the starting area that sells miracles is in, but haven't seen any forest one (and I've killed the butterfly, loved unwittingly walking through the fog door to that one the first time). Haven't gone to Capra, but should I have stumbled across more covenants by now or are those for later in the game? And what did joining the first covenant do (or what will it do)?

edit: farming humanity - if I go to the rats in Burg will they drop it as an item or will my humanity ticker just automatically go up?

Khatoz

edit: farming humanity - if I go to the rats in Burg will they drop it as an item or will my humanity ticker just automatically go up?

Both, it can either drop as an item or as a soul(?) that gets added to your counter.

Wallachia

Frostburn said:
You don't need the guide but it is a great resource. It is the most complete guide for a game this complex I've seen in a while and it is damn pretty. The thread here should be more than enough to get by however.

I want the guide just so I can see the Monsters' names and descriptions, and hopefully cool art.. Does this guide have as such?

So the moonlight butterfly soul...I wanna use it. Do I need my spear at +10?

I have it at +6 and it doesn't seem to give me the option to go to +7? What am I doing wrong?

Wallachia

HELP PLEASE?

I jsut beat the Moonlight butterfly, have her soul, as well as the stone from the top of her tower (from the dead blacksmith). I have that stone to the blacksmith near Undead Parish. Now what, will he do something with it to upgrade my weapon(s)? How?

Thanks!

Wallachia said:
HELP PLEASE?

I jsut beat the Moonlight butterfly, have her soul, as well as the stone from the top of her tower (from the dead blacksmith). I have that stone to the blacksmith near Undead Parish. Now what, will he do something with it to upgrade my weapon(s)? How?

Thanks!

Give him the ember. He'll be able to use it to make divine weapons when you have a weapon at +5

As for the soul from her...no idea. Trying to figure that out myself.

Zeliard

anddo0 said:
The better shield: Dragon Crest or Spider?

Both are largely similar against your typical physical attacks since they block 100% there, but the Dragon Crest has much higher fire resistance and the Spider has high poison resistance, good for places like Blighttown when you reach it.

Frostburn

bigdaddygamebot said:
Give him the ember. He'll be able to use it to make divine weapons when you have a weapon at +5

The Boss Souls are used to upgrade to unique and powerful weapons (You'll need to upgrade a certain type of normal weapon to +10 then you can have it made into a unique weapon by the blacksmith by giving him the boss soul) DO NOT CONSUME IT for normal souls.

bigdaddygamebot said:

The Blacksmith in
Anor Londo
upgrades certain +10 weapons with boss souls.

Wallachia

bigdaddygamebot said:

Ohhhh, after +5.. COOL! thanks.

As for the soul, I hear later on you get to use it to embue on a weapon :)

Wallachia

Frostburn said:
The Boss Souls are used to upgrade to unique and powerful weapons (You'll need to upgrade a certain type of normal weapon to +10 then you can have it made into a unique weapon by the blacksmith by giving him the boss soul) DO NOT CONSUME IT for normal souls.

Damn, +10??? Shit, ANOTHER reason I gotta go farm more souls now.. ughhh

anddo0

Zeliard said:
Both are largely similar against your typical physical attacks since they block 100% there, but the Dragon Crest has much higher fire resistance and the Spider has high poison resistance, good for places like Blighttown when you reach it.

Thanks. I made a suicide run to get the Dragon Shield... Too bad I didn't get it earlier in the game.

Is there any benefit to being cursed? I found
The Great Hollow
and the frogs got me.

Riposte

I'm confused by the Crystal caves. Is there another entrance because it just seems like a giant pit preventing me from reaching what seems like another side.

Sykotik

I have a couple +10 weapons and the boss souls that are supposedly able to convert them, however, I can't seem to get the blacksmith to "see" that I have them. What's the problem here?

nevermind.. just read above.

scosher

Felix Lighter said:
Hearing that Dex scaling is basically broken bothers me. I dumped so many points into dexterity with the plan of using a long sword +15 ultimately.

It's not "broken" per se. It's just underbalanced comparatively to Fire/Lightning weapons, which require ZERO stat investment. In that light, the min/maxer may perceive his Str/Dex stat points as wasted, when he could've just put in the bare minimum to wield a weapon, and turn it into a Fire/Lightning weapon.

However, if FROM does address this in the future, it really wouldn't take much to fix. All they would need to do is bump up the scaling for Normal +15 weapons, so that a Katana for example which scales at B rank could be improved to S rank by end-game.

Otherwise, those calling it "broken" also neglect the fact that you can't enchant Fire/Lightning weapons with resin or Magic Weapon spell, while you can with Normal weapons.

scosher said:
It's not "broken" per se. It's just underbalanced comparatively to Fire/Lightning weapons, which require ZERO stat investment. In that light, the min/maxer may perceive his Str/Dex stat points as wasted, when he could've just put in the bare minimum to wield a weapon, and turn it into a Fire/Lightning weapon.

However, if FROM does address this in the future, it really wouldn't take much to fix. All they would need to do is bump up the scaling for Normal +15 weapons, so that a Katana for example which scales at B rank could be improved to S rank by end-game.

Otherwise, those calling it "broken" also neglect the fact that you can't enchant Fire/Lightning weapons with resin or Magic Weapon spell, while you can with Normal weapons.

I really wish they would do this. Seeing that none of the katanas scale at S is disappointing. I also wish there were more interesting katanas like there were in Demon's Souls. Hiltless and Makoto were awesome. The Chaos Blade doesn't seem worth the HP hit by the time you would be able to create it.

scosher said:

How well did From Software support Demon's Souls with balance tweaks? Is this something they've done in the past?

J-Rod

A brief list of easy things to miss (that you can't go back and get/do) would be nice. There are already two things I see I missed and will not be able to get on this playthrough by reading the OP.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I ate the butterfly soul. are the weapon/shield you get from that awesomesauce? :c

Joei

I'm kind of confused on what to do. I beat the Taurus demon, and when I go forward the dragon roasts me... Am I supposed to go back to the beginning? Is this game open in that regard?

Audioboxer

Still can't kill the boss hydra in the ash lake.

Got him fairly far down and that shitty blue magic attack killed me yet again.

Really not even enjoying the challenge of this boss :( Feels really cheap against a melee char.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
EasyMode said:
I did the same... what a disappointing amount of souls!
yeah I know! I did it in a fit of desperation as I was cursed and soulless. Still had to farm! >:c

scosher

Felix Lighter said:
How well did From Software support Demon's Souls with balance tweaks? Is this something they've done in the past?

No idea since I played Demon's Souls a year into its release, and usually by then, development support for a console game has considerably slowed then. But even then, FROM (or it might have been Atlus) still hosted events like on Halloween where they set all the worlds to Pure Black Tendency.

I do know that they already implemented some tweaks, such as frog's curses no longer multi-stacking to the point of gimping your character.

And in Demon's Souls, fire weapons (there was no lightning element) were great at the start, but were much weaker end-game than any Str/Dex or Mag/Faith weapon. So I assume from a design standpoint, the fact that fire/lightning weapons outclass Str/Dex weapons in Dark Souls is unintended.

Magic weapons don't seem to have as much of a problem since you can get A scaling in Int with some enchanted weapons. Although, there's no S scaling for Int from what I've looked up, but I don't think Demon's Souls had S scaling Crescent weapons either. Would be unbalanced if a caster could get top of the line scaling on their weapons and also have access to their spells.

EasyMode

Joei said:
I'm kind of confused on what to do. I beat the Taurus demon, and when I go forward the dragon roasts me... Am I supposed to go back to the beginning? Is this game open in that regard?
On the bridge
guarded by the dragon, look for the stairs to the right of the undead soldiers. Try to run there without stopping. You might get hit by fire once, but you should be able to survive. Once you're down there, look for a ladder to kick down, opening up a shortcut to the bonfire in Undead Burg.

Felix Lighter said:
The Blacksmith in
Anor Londo
upgrades certain +10 weapons with boss souls.

So I upgraded the winged spear to +6 but now I don't seem to be able to go further with it?

Do I need to upgrade a regular spear to +10 and then turn it into the moonlight butterfly spear?

Also...thanks for the info. :)

elty

I started to really question about my DEX built because I found that there is no more S scaling DEX weapon, and bow seems to be nerf compared to DS1. At least with STR I can swing faster which sounds helpful. Would I be better off switching now to a STR/INT built? My stat right now is like 14 STR 25 DEX 10 INT.

Also, can anyone recommend a good thrusting weapon (that you can block while attacking)? I plan to upgrade the wing spear.

Joei

EasyMode said:
On the bridge
guarded by the dragon, look for the stairs to the right of the undead soldiers. Try to run there without stopping. You might get hit by fire once, but you should be able to survive. Once you're down there, look for a ladder to kick down, opening up a shortcut to the bonfire in Undead Burg.

Thanks a bunch! I figured it out though... I should have been more patient before posting, lol

LProtag

elty said:
I started to really question about my DEX built because I found that there is no more S scaling DEX weapon, and bow seems to be nerf compared to DS1. At least with STR I can swing faster which sounds helpful. Would I be better off switching now to a STR/INT built? My stat right now is like 14 STR 25 DEX 10 INT.

Also, can anyone recommend a good thrusting weapon (that you can block while attacking)? I plan to upgrade the wing spear.

Probably should just stay the course man. Seems like scaling weapons only work when you have a massive amount of that stat to be compared to lightning weapons.

My theory is that Enchanted weapons are going to be the big deal in the metagame, with Int-based builds to take advantage of their great scaling+additional magic damage. Just a theory though.

Play the game how you want to for now, make a new character if you really want to min/max later.

TheBear

Quick question about summoning. If I am human, do I basically just wait around the boss area hoping someone will drop a summoning sign? I've hardly seen any summoning signs dropped.

Patapwn

I'm not sure if this has been stated but in New Lando ruins, there's an NPC on top of a church that removes your curse for 1 humanity. (also, talk to him once you recieve the lord vessal)

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Riposte said:
I'm confused by the Crystal caves. Is there another entrance because it just seems like a giant pit preventing me from reaching what seems like another side.
Welcome to the worst thing about Dark Souls:
invisible walkways

Keep an eye on the falling, um, glitter to see where you can go or hope that someone scrawled a message on the ground for you.

scosher

In regards to Boss souls, upgrade a normal weapon of a certain type to +10, then you can ascend it further with the boss' soul, as follows:

C&P from Gamefaqs:

Moonlight Butterfly Soul + Spear/Rapier = Moonlight Butterfly Horn. Magic-scaling spear.
Moonlight Butterfly Soul + Shield = Crystal Ring Shield. Magic resist shield. Throws energy discs instead of parry.

Quelaag's Soul + Curved Sword = Quelaag's Furysword. Her Dex-based sword. Has a lot of fire damage.
Quelaag's Soul + Katana = Chaos Blade. Hiltless, basically.

Iron Golem's Core + Fist = Dragon Bone Fist. A magic/fire resist fist weapon that SHORYUKENs
Iron Golem's Core + Axe = Golem Axe. 1H R2 attack throws wind all around you

Ornstein's Soul + Spear/Rapier = Dragonslayer Spear. His Spear. It throws lightning with R2
Smough's Soul + Hammer = Smough's Hammer. Drains 10HP on hit, 2H R2 is a jumping swing.

Sif's Soul + Broken Straight Sword/Straight Sword Hilt = Cursed Greatsword of Artorias. It can hit Ghosts.
Sif's Soul + Dagger/Straight Sword/Greatsword = Greatsword of Artorias. 1H R2 is a charging thrust, 2H is a charging slash.
Sif's Soul + Shield = Greatshield of Artorias. 100/50/80/40

Gwyndolin's Soul + Bow = Darkmoon Bow. D Faith scaling.
Gwyndolin's Soul + Catalyst = Tin Darkmoon Catalyst.

Priscilla's Soul + Halberd/Scythe/Whip = Lifehunt Scythe. Bleed damage for 50% of target's total HP.

I got the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias and Moonlight Spear in my game, and both are pretty underwhelming. Made the Greatsword cause I was hoping it would be like the Blueblood sword in Demon's Souls, which also was crafted from a broken sword. But the stat requirements are even more hefty, and has the Greatsword moveset rather than the superior Straight sword (ie. Drake Sword moveset). Plus it can't be enchanted, which was the main benefit of BBS anyway.

Moonlight Spear looks badass, but the shield sounds more fun upon reading about it. And I'm pretty sure an Enchanted Winged Spear +5 has better stats than the Moonlight Spear. I just roll with my Enchanted Falchion on my spellsword build anyway.

The_Monk

Hello guys I was wondering if you could give me a little help here.

I'm a Wanderer level 25

First, I just
rang the first bell after killing those gargoyles

Now my questions:

1-I heard that the
halberd
is a good weapon, should I level up the weapon? what do you guys recommend? I just grinded and leveled a bit to get strenght for this weapon. I also have the
drake sword

2- The
guy with the yellow armor that I spared was down in the firelink place,now he's not there, where is he, and do I kill him? I spared his life but..I wonder if that was a good choice

3- I have only one atunement slot for my spells. I want to have 2 so I can use Soul Arrow and Heal. What do I need to do to have this?

4- My DEX is at 26 how many much more should I put into it?
is it true that I can backflip if I reach 30 or 35 DEX?

5-I'm still using the starting gear when it comes to all my armor pieces. Did I miss something, will be I get better stuff soon?

6- I love you all and I love this game. Thank you all for your awesomeness!

Geek

Ninny Prancer
The_Monk said:
2- The
guy with the yellow armor that I spared was down in the firelink place,now he's not there, where is he, and do I kill him? I spared his life but..I wonder if that was a good choice

3- I have only one atunement slot for my spells. I want to have 2 so I can use Soul Arrow and Heal. What do I need to do to have this?

5-I'm still using the starting gear when it comes to all my armor pieces. Did I miss something, will be I get better stuff soon?
2- It will likely be a while before you run into him again
at Anor Londo. Did you pick up the Black Eye Orb from the Fire Keeper maiden's corpse?

3- Put more points into your Attunement stat!

4-
That movement requires a certain Wood Grain ring.

5- There's a ton of armor scattered around the world on corpses, in chests, etc. You can also invest in upgrading your gear with Titanite, but expect to find better stuff later on.

The_Monk said:
1-I heard that the
halberd
is a good weapon, should I level up the weapon? what do you guys recommend? I just grinded and leveled a bit to get strenght for this weapon. I also have the
drake sword
get it to + 10, then make it a lightning halberd and get that to +5, then ????? then profit.

scosher said:
In regards to Boss souls, upgrade a normal weapon of a certain type to +10, then you can ascend it further with the boss' soul, as follows:

C&P from Gamefaqs:

Moonlight Butterfly Soul + Spear/Rapier = Moonlight Butterfly Horn. Magic-scaling spear.
Moonlight Butterfly Soul + Shield = Crystal Ring Shield. Magic resist shield. Throws energy discs instead of parry.

Quelaag's Soul + Curved Sword = Quelaag's Furysword. Her Dex-based sword. Has a lot of fire damage.
Quelaag's Soul + Katana = Chaos Blade. Hiltless, basically.

Iron Golem's Core + Fist = Dragon Bone Fist. A magic/fire resist fist weapon that SHORYUKENs
Iron Golem's Core + Axe = Golem Axe. 1H R2 attack throws wind all around you

Ornstein's Soul + Spear/Rapier = Dragonslayer Spear. His Spear. It throws lightning with R2
Smough's Soul + Hammer = Smough's Hammer. Drains 10HP on hit, 2H R2 is a jumping swing.

Sif's Soul + Broken Straight Sword/Straight Sword Hilt = Cursed Greatsword of Artorias. It can hit Ghosts.
Sif's Soul + Dagger/Straight Sword/Greatsword = Greatsword of Artorias. 1H R2 is a charging thrust, 2H is a charging slash.
Sif's Soul + Shield = Greatshield of Artorias. 100/50/80/40

Gwyndolin's Soul + Bow = Darkmoon Bow. D Faith scaling.
Gwyndolin's Soul + Catalyst = Tin Darkmoon Catalyst.

Priscilla's Soul + Halberd/Scythe/Whip = Lifehunt Scythe. Bleed damage for 50% of target's total HP.

I got the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias and Moonlight Spear in my game, and both are pretty underwhelming. Made the Greatsword cause I was hoping it would be like the Blueblood sword in Demon's Souls, which also was crafted from a broken sword. But the stat requirements are even more hefty, and has the Greatsword moveset rather than the superior Straight sword (ie. Drake Sword moveset). Plus it can't be enchanted, which was the main benefit of BBS anyway.

Moonlight Spear looks badass, but the shield sounds more fun upon reading about it. And I'm pretty sure an Enchanted Winged Spear +5 has better stats than the Moonlight Spear. I just roll with my Enchanted Falchion on my spellsword build anyway.

+1 humanity for you!

The_Monk said:
Hello guys I was wondering if you could give me a little help here.

I'm a Wanderer level 25

First, I just
rang the first bell after killing those gargoyles

Now my questions:

1-I heard that the
halberd
drake sword

2- The

6- I love you all and I love this game. Thank you all for your awesomeness!

1- Yeah, I guess thats a good weapon for a DEX build. Don't use it myself
2- Don't know. He seems to come and go though.
3- 12 points - 2 slots, 14 points- 3 slots
4- Don't know
5- You'll find gear all over the place, can't remember any particular locations though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Okay dudes, need some pre-advice on Covenants.

Forest I understand.

Chaos Spider woman: Downsides, upsides please. Such as does it clash with others, are there mobs I would want to farm but now can't?

Dragon: when I get to it, the same questions.

Basically anyone know how Covenants all criss-cross and the downsides/upsides?

Maffis

Is it good to invest in a bow? I don't have enough dexterity to use a short-bow. I wanted to see if I could obtain the dragon sword (I play Pyromancer), but you need a bow to do that. Will you need Dexterity in the future, for better weapons I mean, or is it possible to just go full strength?? Otherwise I could just invest 2-3 points now.

Home

Riposte said:

If you are at the actual caves area
there are invisible walkways that go across the gap. If you look carefully, the little snowflakes will float down and smash on the invisible walkways, letting you know where they are. Also, there should be some player notes that will assist you.

I know it's not much help, but without SS it's hard to describe. I died a lot there from falling off cliffs.

Top Bottom