• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Air Zombie Meat said:
You get her soul back from killing Lautrec. Then just go up to the bars where she was, hit x and it'll ask you if you want to put her soul back. Only way you can go wrong is if you used her soul for a flask upgrade.
And you kill Lautrec by using the Black Eye Orb in the area before the Anor Londo boss fight, a message pops up about it when you are in the right area.

Which boss soul weapons are people using? I love my Crystal Ring Shield+5; I've murdered some bosses using it exclusively. Anything else as good/better than it?

Crystal Ring Shield is probably the best but it's getting nerfed to the point of being useless in the upcoming patch. Great Lord Greatsword is ok but isn't as good as the black knight weapons. Shield of Artorias is one of the best shields in the game. Quelaags Furysword is also meant to be a good un.

Broseybrose

I wanna kill myself... Im hollow with no humanity and cannot beat Quelaag alone! I came SOOOOOOOOO close SOOOOOOOOO many times I just want to give up now that Im out of Humanity and nobody is summoning me. I live in FL if that means anything as far as the summoning goes. I'm thinking about just turning back and seeing if i can make it to firelink. Even though I JUST CAME FROM THERE.

What should I do? I platted Demon's too. A long time ago. I like this game more, but its much much harder because you cant cheese the bosses if you have to.

Speaking of, whats the easiest way to kill the red dragon on the bridge in Undead Burg?

edit- I just realized i can waste the firekeeper soul i found down here for some humanity. God that would be the ultimate waste. My estus is only at +1. At least i made it to SL 39 grinding down here in Blighttown.

Wanderer (70+ hours)

VIT 18
ATT 14
END 18
STR 16
DEX 16
RES 14
INT 16
FAI 10

Spells equipped - Soul Ray, Greater Soul Ray, Remedy. Have access to Fireball, Power Within, Poison Cloud.

As you can see ive chosen INT over FAI, but other than that Im pretty open to any path. Im thinking pumping INT and using enchanted weapons for a Melee-Caster. Its that or the DEX route. I went the FAI route in Demon's.

Septimius

TelemachusD said:
And you kill Lautrec by using the Black Eye Orb in the area before the Anor Londo boss fight, a message pops up about it when you are in the right area.

Which boss soul weapons are people using? I love my Crystal Ring Shield+5; I've murdered some bosses using it exclusively. Anything else as good/better than it?

Quelaag's Furysword. CRS is just boring.

purg3

slept with Malkin
TelemachusD said:

+5 Quelaag's and just started leveling the Darkmoon bow. I'll probably be done with Quelaag's once my fire enchanted washing pole is complete. CRS is pretty OP though, so ridiculous, I really didn't start using it until the last part of the game.

My favorite boss tanking weapon is the Gravelord sword, got it to +5

Septimius

Broseybrose said:
I wanna kill myself... Im hollow with no humanity and cannot beat Quelaag alone! I came SOOOOOOOOO close SOOOOOOOOO many times I just want to give up now that Im out of Humanity and nobody is summoning me. I live in FL if that means anything as far as the summoning goes. I'm thinking about just turning back and seeing if i can make it to firelink. Even though I JUST CAME FROM THERE.

What should I do? I platted Demon's too. A long time ago. I like this game more, but its much much harder because you cant cheese the bosses if you have to.

Speaking of, whats the easiest way to kill the red dragon on the bridge in Undead Burg?

edit- I just realized i can waste the firekeeper soul i found down here for some humanity. God that would be the ultimate waste. My estus is only at +1. At least i made it to SL 39 grinding down here in Blighttown.

Wanderer (70+ hours)

VIT 18
ATT 14
END 18
STR 16
DEX 16
RES 14
INT 16
FAI 10

Spells I use - Soul Ray, Greater Soul Ray, Remedy. Have access to Fireball, Power Within, Poison Cloud.

As you can see ive chosen INT over FAI, but other than that Im pretty open to any path. Im thinking pumping INT and using enchanted weapons for a Melee-Caster. Its that or the DEX route. I went the FAI route in Demon's.

Do not use the Firekeeper's souls for that. If anything, run back to Firelink (such a fast run. Take the water-wheel up) and get the firekeeper to reinforce your flasks. That should help you. I've beaten Quelaag at level 10, so it should be doable. She's upclose and personal, so heavy magic might get too slow.

What weapon do you use?

Broseybrose

Septimius said:
Do not use the Firekeeper's souls for that. If anything, run back to Firelink (such a fast run. Take the water-wheel up) and get the firekeeper to reinforce your flasks. That should help you. I've beaten Quelaag at level 10, so it should be doable. She's upclose and personal, so heavy magic might get too slow.

What weapon do you use?
Thanks.

Im using Drake sword. WHen u say take the water wheel up to get back to Firelink, you dont mean come back the way I came, which was through the Depths? I assume going up the wheel path will take me to the Valley of Drakes? Ive never been there. Hope I dont need any keys or anything like that.

Oh, and my firekeeper disappered. (I know she reappears when i find and kill someone). Can i find him from the position i am in now?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Broseybrose said:
Thanks.

Im using Drake sword. WHen u say take the water wheel up to get back to Firelink, you dont mean come back the way I came, which was through the Depths? I assume going up the wheel path will take me to the Valley of Drakes? Ive never been there. Hope I dont need any keys or anything like that.

Oh, and my firekeeper disappered. (I know she reappears when i find and kill someone).

The walkway to get to the water wheel is close to the bonfire in the swamp, just look for the two torches and take the ladders up. You come out in the valley of the drakes and you can open the gate and take the elevator from there to New Londo and then from there back to firelink shrine.

and to answer your second question, no not yet.

Septimius

Broseybrose said:
Thanks.

Oh, and my firekeeper disappered. (I know she reappears when i find and kill someone). Can i find him from the position i am in now?

Only thing I would like to add is that the key to get through to New Londo is on the way in a chest. But I guess there's no reason to go back, seen how there's no Firekeeper. Don't worry, there's actually one on the other side of Quelaag. So just kill that thing! :>

Just look out for her blast. (Don't level up resistance.) When she bows down and sort of pets the spider, she's about to do a magic blast, so get back. When she's spewing lava is when you can get in most hits. Just strafe around and start whacking while she's spewing.

kvn

Would anybody like to help me killing Sif? I'm SL 50, waiting in front of the bridge. Tried her a couple of times, always landing a few hits but I cannot manage to get below her while she's jumping back and forth like a psycho...Also the framerate is not helping, these damn fur shaders.

Broseybrose

Sigh, 6 straight deaths at the hands of Quelaag later, I resign, for the moment at least. One of the fights I lasted long enough to get her health below half, but I ran out of Estus soon after.

But thanks for teaching me that the way out of this situation is to beat Quelaag, by myself if I have to. I have to get good at not getting hit by her at all.

thundr51

Help!!

CANNOT get past smough at anor londo yet. I'm level 51 and I can get rid of Ornstein ok, but that's it. Now whenever I try to go to the fight as human I get invaded. Is there anything I can do to get a bit stronger? I'm thinking of hitting the catacombs with my Divine Halberd +5 just to take a break from this.

thundr51 said:
Help!!

CANNOT get past smough at anor londo yet. I'm level 51 and I can get rid of Ornstein ok, but that's it. Now whenever I try to go to the fight as human I get invaded. Is there anything I can do to get a bit stronger? I'm thinking of hitting the catacombs with my Divine Halberd +5 just to take a break from this.

Not a bad idea, as you can get the rite of kindling from beating the boss of the catacombs and that will allow you to kindle one of the bonfires before smough/ornstein to +3 (20 estus).

Other than that, the best advice for Smough from my experience is to (1) feed him strong pyromancy or sorcery and (2) have a good shield with high stability and 100% block... this way if he manages to hit you as you run from him he'll most likely stagger you or damage you but not kill you.

Broseybrose said:
Sigh, 6 straight deaths at the hands of Quelaag later, I resign, for the moment at least. One of the fights I lasted long enough to get her health below half, but I ran out of Estus soon after.

But thanks for teaching me that the way out of this situation is to beat Quelaag, by myself if I have to. I have to get good at not getting hit by her at all.

Killing NPC invader Maneater Mildred and then summoning her phantom to help with Quelaag is advisable if you have a range attack that can do some damage to her (sorcery, most likely or a heavy hitting bow/crossbow). Mildred can take the focus off of you which will leave you free to wail on her with your chosen method (even close melee) so long as you play it smart and learn to recognize when to avoid the lava or the AoE attack.

Brosey, if you need humanity, you can go back up to the depths and kill rats. You'll probably have to kill a few dozen, but it's better than dying to Queelag 6 times in a row. Then you can someone the NPC buddy and maybe a human player if you're lucky.

Otherwise, is there any particular attack getting you on Queelag?

sixghost

Broseybrose said:

You'll get it eventually. If you're having trouble with her sword attacks and don't mind taking the very extremely slowly, just constantly be blocking and backing up, getting out of range of her sword attacks.

The key to the fight is learning her tells. If the human part of her taps the spiders head one handed, the spider is going to do the lava spreading thing. There's tons of time to get behind it and get some good hits in while it does this.

If she leans over and hugs the spider, shes going to do the big AoE explosion, just fucking run, you can't block this.

As someone said, the fight is much more manageable if you kill and summon Mildred, since she will either take the agro, allowing you to do a ton of easy damage, or she will do the damage herself while Quelaag pays attention to you.

Broseybrose

Im using a crystal shield and its working surprisingly well... 100% phys, 80% fire, 60 stability. I guess the move that kills me the most is the shockwave because Im not being patient enough to block in time. I really just need to be smart about when i let loose with my drake and whether its worth the time it takes to two-hand it. The real problem is getting my shield out in time to block her shockwave... its crazy.

Another thing is Im always locked on and moving left while she circles to face me. Is this a good strat?

I may try heading back to The Depths for the rats.

matmanx1

Quelaag for me was all about tank n spank. The Dragon Shield or whatever it's called with the 80% fire resist from the Valley of the Drakes will allow you to take very little damage from her fire sword swings and they don't actually drain that much stamina on a block.

It seems counter intuitive to get right in the face of the giant she spider but it worked better for me than any other strategy as a primarily melee focused player. Just watch for the lava spread (sidestep it or back up) and if you see her human part slump over the spider part then back away quickly because she's about to explode. Don't try to block the explosion. It won't work.

If you can avoid the explosion by paying attention to her then she really is a very manageable fight. Get your hits in between her combos and while she's doing the lava spew. Trust me, I probably died 10 times to her before I learned to just straight up tank her and that's what worked the best for me.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Yeah I get in close to her side and stick there, switch to 2 handed and wail until she slumps, then roll out to avoid the aoe blast, and then get back up in that bitch. Repeat, and she goes down pretty quickly.

kvn

Nobody out there who is willing to help? :(

Is SL 50 even the common level for this boss or am I too high (although to shitty to beat him)?

Has anyone managed to kill Smough and Ornstein at the same time? I'm trying at the moment and have gotten pretty close to doing so.

Broseybrose

Got her soul. Rang 2nd Bell. Found Chaos. Confused as where to go next because guide says Great Hollow, but doesnt show how you would get there. Am i supposed to backtrack from this area now that ive rang the bell?

I'm having trouble getting to one of the alcoves above three basilisks. Their a crystal lizard there. I've been trying to figure a way, but I don't see a path to get up there. This is a a short distance from the bonfire in the Great Hollow.

Kalnos

Banned
Broseybrose said:
Got her soul. Rang 2nd Bell. Found Chaos. Confused as where to go next because guide says Great Hollow, but doesnt show how you would get there. Am i supposed to backtrack from this area now that ive rang the bell?

Backtrack out of Quelaag's Lair and stay against the left-hand wall, then ride the waterwheel up to a shortcut back to Firelink. Alternatively, you could go to the opposite side of the Swamp from Quelaag and go to The Great Hallow but it's entirely optional and hidden.

Broseybrose

I even have the strat guide, and it doesnt tell you how to find the Great Hollow! Tell me from the lever for the 2nd bell how to find it plz?

vilmer_

Broseybrose said:
I even have the strat guide, and it doesnt tell you how to find the Great Hollow! Tell me from the lever for the 2nd bell how to find it plz?

Backtrack into Blighttown and make a right out of Quelaggs entrance. You'll see a tree-like ramp going upwards.

Kalnos

Banned
Go back up where you fought Quelaag and leave the way you came in, run STRAIGHT through the swamp to the other side where you will find a tree (If you want, you can stop back at the second Blight Town bonfire that you probably lit, in the sewer pipe thing). There will be a large branch you can walk up, walk up it and go inside of the tree to what appears like a dead end and hit the walls with your weapon to reveal a hidden wall. Inside the hidden room there's a chest, grab it and then walk behind it and swing your weapon again to reveal a second hidden wall which is the entrance.

Nevermind. I found a way.
Broseybrose said:
Go back into the swamp. Go right. Avoid the rock guys. Keep going right until you see an enormous tree on your left. Take that branch up. Hit a few illusionary walls. There is only one bonfire here. Take it slow when going down. Make sure you have some curse resist. Avoid the parent mushrooms. If they hit you, it's pretty much a one shot.

Septimius

Broseybrose said:
Awesome. Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend going there, just yet. It's completely optional, and is pretty much just to reach the Dragon Covenant. It's a paint to get out of there, too.

Your next goal, non-optional area wise, is Sen's Fortress, out near Andre, the blacksmith in Undead Burg

Damn I've been cursed in the Depths. If I understood well what NPC said I have to meet an old man below at Londo to be uncursed? I also saw an item that cost 6000 souls. Quite expensive for me now.

Broseybrose

Septimius said:
I wouldn't recommend going there, just yet. It's completely optional, and is pretty much just to reach the Dragon Covenant. It's a paint to get out of there, too.

Your next goal, non-optional area wise, is Sen's Fortress, out near Andre, the blacksmith in Undead Burg
Ok sir thank you. I wasnt liking the great hallow. And the official strat guide recommends players go there after Quelaag. I'm happy to put it off.

sixghost

Broseybrose said:
Ok sir thank you. I wasnt liking the great hallow. And the official strat guide recommends players go there after Quelaag. I'm happy to put it off.
That's one of the most glaring errors in the official guide. Weirdly enough I believe it even suggests not going to the Great Hollow/Ash Lake until you have the lordvessel, but it lists the area right after Blighttown.

I just went to the everlasting Dragon and back today and it took fucking forever.

Leunam

Hikash Winzalf said:
Damn I've been cursed in the Depths. If I understood well what NPC said I have to meet an old man below at Londo to be uncursed? I also saw an item that cost 6000 souls. Quite expensive for me now.

Oswald of Carim, who is at the base of the tower where the first bell is, sells cures for 3000 souls.

Broseybrose

sixghost said:
That's one of the most glaring errors in the official guide. Weirdly enough I believe it even suggests not going to the Great Hollow/Ash Lake until you have the lordvessel, but it lists the area right after Blighttown.

I just went to the everlasting Dragon and back today and it took fucking forever.
Well, where do you think go next?

Id love to explore some, I feel as if all Ive done in this game is stick to the path. I want to finally explore that skeleton area, but first Im going to head back to firelink via valley of drakes. I think will take me through the skeleys. I want to know every nook and cranny of the game. For real.

Are there any optional vendors, npcs, quests, 20000 rings (i know about this one) that are accessible before I check out Sen's?

So I cut the tail off seath but couldn't find the sword anywhere. It's actually one of the few weapons that would work well with my character. Anyone with an extra want to trade? I have pretty much everything (that can't be made with souls, I'm still in my first cycle) and a couple of duplicates for rare normal enemy drops (2 boar helms, 2 stone greatswords, couple of gargoyle axes). I also have extra eyes for trade. Anyone want to trade? I'm afraid of not finding a partner when I do seath again in NG+ and it's probably impossible to hit his tail solo. I can also grind something for you if I don't have it.

I'm trying to collect 1 of everything in the game and it's bugging me.

Soul level 99. I have access to all areas right now. Well I will once the kingkeeper wakes up and lets me in the last area.

I'm in the covenant that allows people to summon you for pvp (D...) and I have that duel stone as well. We could use that to trade.

Septimius

Broseybrose said:
Is there an easy or do-able way to kill the Red Dragon on the Burg Bridge? SL 40 just beat Quelaag.

If you sneak under the bridge so the Dragon doesn't fly away, and go under there to the entrance to Undead Burg and walk all the way up the tower with the black knight; shoot the dragon once from there, and it'll just cease to exist. (It's a bug) - it's quite hilarious.

sixghost

Broseybrose said:
Well, where do you think go next?

Id love to explore some, I feel as if all Ive done in this game is stick to the path. I want to finally explore that skeleton area, but first Im going to head back to firelink via valley of drakes. I think will take me through the skeleys. I want to know every nook and cranny of the game. For real.

Are there any optional vendors, npcs, quests, 20000 rings (i know about this one) that are accessible before I check out Sen's?
Sen's if you want to continue the critical path, the Forest if you want to do something a little different.

If there's a way to kill the Red Drake in a straight up fight, I couldn't figure it out. I tried for about and hour and got crushed. Maybe I'll give it another go with a +5 black knight shield for the crazy fire resist, but the fight just seems weird. Sometimes I would take 1/4 my health bar by getting hit by the fire, sometimes I would take 100% damage for seemingly no reason. He's also very hard to hit and attacks relentlessly.

The closest I got was waiting for him to just off the bridge, cutting his tail off with a 2hand lightning uchi, then sitting in a little side platform by the bonfire gate and spamming lightning miracles at him. He was actually pretty close to dying, but it felt incredibly cheap.

Ristlager

Don't know if I just was lucky, but in my fight agains Quuelag, She was never able to hit me when I was right in front of her. Besides the lava attack. So I just went up close and personal and hit her until she died.

Ristlager said:
Don't know if I just was lucky, but in my fight agains Quuelag, She was never able to hit me when I was right in front of her. Besides the lava attack. So I just went up close and personal and hit her until she died.
Yeah, those melee attacks of hers seem to be quite ineffective at super close range

Numpt3

Guys I'm having trouble summoning and invading.

When I see another player's summon sign on the ground I attempt to use it but the summon fails every time. If I place my sign in and around places where it looks like there is activity from other players I never get summoned.

The same goes for invading, I use the cracked orb and the game looks for players to invade but that always fails aswell. Yet I have no problem being invaded by other people. :/

Any ideas?

Edit: Playing the 360 version so I guess the community is nowhere near the size it is on the PS3.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Oh god, just got this game - and those two skeletons after I reach the Lord land are crazy, I JUST started getting comfortable beating them, then I get my ass kicked by another set of them - I need like a training level, where I can just practice moves ala bayonetta/assassins creed.

Booshka

Oh god, just got this game - and those two skeletons after I reach the Lord land are crazy, I JUST started getting comfortable beating them, then I get my ass kicked by another set of them - I need like a training level, where I can just practice moves ala bayonetta/assassins creed.

That area is actually way over your head, try going to the right from the bonfire, there will be a pathway up, those enemies are more suited to your level and abilities.

Sullichin

I don't know why this thread exists. The OT is more popular and is filled with people asking for help. It's also in the community forum now so it makes this one seem even more useless...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454985

That being said, the skeletons are NOT the way you want to go in the beginning. Try a different route. There's not really a training level, but the right way to go has much easier enemies than the skeletons.

Globox_82

Banned
I am really close to never again touching this game. I really really dislike it. Not because it's hard, but it is essentially broken game. I am not going to go into that now, but felt the need to throw it out there.

Anyways I am level 81, and I got stuck some month or more ago on those two arrow shooting pricks in that giant castle. So now I am trying to get back to the game and I am having hard times. Keep on asking my self why I played this for 40 hours.... I can't get passed them!

I heard about this dragon head glitch, so I go join dragon covenant, hoping that I can level up even more and then try to get passed those two freaks, but guess what the last patch disables the glitch, and even if you remove it (according to YT comments) it won't work, unless you start a new game. Lol like hell I will.

Any tips or tricks before I move on and forget this failed abortion of a game?

I am really close to never again touching this game. I really really dislike it. Not because it's hard, but it is essentially broken game. I am not going to go into that now, but felt the need to throw it out there.

Anyways I am level 81, and I got stuck some month or more ago on those two arrow shooting pricks in that giant castle. So now I am trying to get back to the game and I am having hard times. Keep on asking my self why I played this for 40 hours.... I can't get passed them!

I heard about this dragon head glitch, so I go join dragon covenant, hoping that I can level up even more and then try to get passed those two freaks, but guess what the last patch disables the glitch, and even if you remove it (according to YT comments) it won't work, unless you start a new game. Lol like hell I will.

Any tips or tricks before I move on and forget this failed abortion of a game?

It's not that hard. Just learn to roll properly to dodge their arrows. Don't just mash the roll button when you get up there, or you'll get hit. Time it well.

Top Bottom