• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
sooo... after getting the lordvessel
you get a cut-scene showing you three passages blocked by brilliant light becoming open. I recognized one of them as being just outside of the Anor Londo bon fire (archives) and went there. now, having done that one I'm a bit lost as to where I should go. New Londo? Maybe I should kill the hydra finally and see what's up down in the basin? Valley of Drakes?

I avoided all these areas for the longest time because they were hard as nails/I didn't have the gear to deal with them. Should I be able to now? as far as ranged options go I have the chaos witch lava toss pyromancy, but that doesn't go very far and I don't have many uses. I also have a Pharsis' bow, but no arrows - so the hydra sorta seems like a difficult deal since I gotta get all up in his grill to do anything. Last time I went to the valley of Drakes I got tore up really easily and I still have that same gear. New Londo I haven't been to proper yet because I don't want to be cursed.
:c

Kalnos

Banned
Brobzoid said:
sooo... after getting the lordvessel
you get a cut-scene showing you three passages blocked by brilliant light becoming open. I recognized one of them as being just outside of the Anor Londo bon fire (archives) and went there. now, having done that one I'm a bit lost as to where I should go. New Londo? Maybe I should kill the hydra finally and see what's up down in the basin? Valley of Drakes?

My recommendation:
1. Kill Hydra and Sif in Darkroot Basin
2. New Londo using item from Sif
3. Catacombs/ToG near firelink graveyard
4. Izalith past Quelaag.

Valley of the Drakes is fodder that links New Londo ruins, Firelink, and Darkroot Basin.

Brobzoid

Kalnos said:
My recommendation:
1. Kill Hydra and Sif in Darkroot Basin
2. New Londo using item from Sif
3. Catacombs/ToG near firelink graveyard
4. Izalith past Quelaag.
I bought the 20k key and kiiled Sif. Can I make a ghost killing weapon with Sif's soul? Also, do I need a divine weapon to do the catacombs or is the Sif weapon enough?

Kalnos

Banned
Brobzoid said:
I bought the 20k key and kiiled Sif. Can I make a ghost killing weapon with Sif's soul? Also, do I need a divine weapon to do the catacombs or is the Sif weapon enough?

On catacombs..
you don't NEED a divine weapon but it could prove useful. If you kill skeletons with a divine weapon they stay dead IIRC. If you don't use one you have to kill the necromancer that's reviving those particular skeletons.

On ghosts/New Londo..
you need to either be cursed by a frog/basalisk enemy or use the item 'transient curse' which can be found in New Londo (before even fighting a ghost), they can also be bought from the Undead Merchant near the Depths entrance. This curse status will allow you to attack ghosts. It's important that you kill Sif before going to New Londo because he had a ring that you needed.

Brobzoid

oh :c
I thought I could make a cursed weapon or something and forgo the whole cursed affair...

Also, fuck that ring Sif dropped. I've stepped off of so many ledges wearing it thinking hoping I could walk on air - anor londo after the gargoyle for instance. crystal cave with it's sparklies even fooled me into thinking I had it figured until I suddenly stepped wrong and died. :|

>:I

Kalnos

Banned
Brobzoid said:

Oh, you will know when.
KuGsj.gif

pmj

Thagomizer said:
God damn Havel. No matter how well I dodge, he always gets lucky and manages to one-shot me with that damn dragon's tooth.
Approach him from the top of the tower. With enemies up there gone, you can lead him up the stairs. He won't follow you out of the tower, so you can walk forward and then back out again to keep him at a distance while you cheese him with firebombs or whatever.

I've thought about going back to the game and I still don't know how many cures for curses I might need. Will this happen a lot? Anyone?

tokkun

Thagomizer said:
God damn Havel. No matter how well I dodge, he always gets lucky and manages to one-shot me with that damn dragon's tooth.

He is very slow. Remove enough armor to get under 25% equipment load. Then circle and backstab the entire fight.

tokkun

pmj said:
Approach him from the top of the tower. With enemies up there gone, you can lead him up the stairs. He won't follow you out of the tower, so you can walk forward and then back out again to keep him at a distance while you cheese him with firebombs or whatever.

I've thought about going back to the game and I still don't know how many cures for curses I might need. Will this happen a lot? Anyone?

I got cursed twice. Once you get some armor with curse resistance you almost have to try to get cursed.

EasyMode

Brobzoid said:
I've stepped off of so many ledges wearing it thinking hoping I could walk on air - anor londo after the gargoyle for instance

>:I
Haha, yes! Glad to know I wasn't the only one! :)

2AdEPT

Kalnos said:
On catacombs..
you don't NEED a divine weapon but it could prove useful. If you kill skeletons with a divine weapon they stay dead IIRC. If you don't use one you have to kill the necromancer that's reviving those particular skeletons.

On ghosts/New Londo..
you need to either be cursed by a frog/basalisk enemy or use the item 'transient curse' which can be found in New Londo (before even fighting a ghost), they can also be bought from the Undead Merchant near the Depths entrance. This curse status will allow you to attack ghosts. It's important that you kill Sif before going to New Londo because he had a ring that you needed.

i read in the strategy guide that you could kill ghosts with a cursed weapon ....only probloem is that the weapons listed that are cursed seem to be upgrades by ascencion only and likley only possible to get AFTER new londo it seems.

Zoe

Dammit, I spent 5 days grinding in order to beat the
Capra
Demon. Started playing around with equipment and switched my axe to the lightning spear... killed him on the first try.

(now to get used to using a spear)

Soulhouf

Zoe said:
Capra
Demon. Started playing around with equipment and switched my axe to the lightning spear... killed him on the first try.

How did you get that spear before beating the boss ?
The 1st time you can get it is in Sen's Fortress I believe.

bodine1231

Soulhouf said:
How did you get that spear before beating the boss ?
The 1st time you can get it is in Sen's Fortress I believe.

The lighting spear in Sen's fortress is just a regular spear upgraded already,you can get it anytime as long as you have the souls/mats to upgrade.

Soulhouf

bodine1231 said:
The lighting spear in Sen's fortress is just a regular spear upgraded already,you can get it anytime as long as you have the souls/mats to upgrade.
If you want to upgrade you have to go to Anor Londo first...

@Zoe: okay, that explains it!

2AdEPT

Soulhouf said:
If you want to upgrade you have to go to Anor Londo first...

@Zoe: okay, that explains it!

I just posted a marathon post a few days ago explaining how to get LS from sens, plus gold trimmed armour from ruins, along with a huge pyro ability all in a few hours from the start of the game, no glitches. If you have the master key you can go to blighttown right from start-up througha back door, as well as drakes, garden, and basin. As soon as you are ready to kill Quellag, which is right away if you hire two phantoms, even mildred will do maybe, you can ring both bells, get crazy pyro from the covenant nearby, get the armour from ruins, and get the spear....see the marathon post a few pages back....its worth it.

I went striaght to Capra afterward, electrocuted the dogs wiht the lightning spear at the top of the stairs, then melted capra with lava....lost zero health at level 30.

f'n right! he had it coming.

edit: if anyone would like to do this and fight capra solo, but not cheese him, you can practice in the ruins using the mehtod..there are like
8 capra's in a row!
I did this beofre switching to a new character, so I cheesed the Capra boss on purpose just to see him melt...
i was able to melee all 8 capra's with SL60 or so.

2AdEPT

bodine1231 said:
THis is actually misleading to say you can do a lightnig weapon "anytime" as the GIant blacksmith is the only smith that will make lightning weapons for you is he not? Maybe I'm wrong. BUt If not, there are a lot of pre-requisits, including rining both bells, progessing past Sen's , the boss in Sens's, and the archers in anor Lando..the lightning spear would have been accessed already at that point. I started reading about lightning weapons on here well before Sens and wated one, but couldn't do it untilI met the jolly giant in Anor Lando....maybe if you have the ember anyone can do it, but I did not have a lightning ember (not sure there is one.)

edit: there is an ember and I had it but you have ot give it to the giant...pretty sure he is the only dude to to do lightning.

Somax

Finished first playthrough, now I'm ready for NG+.
My character started as a Knight and stayed true to his melee roots until the end, only with help from Iron Flesh for some boss bashing action.

2AdEPT

2AdEPT said:
i read in the strategy guide that you could kill ghosts with a cursed weapon ....only probloem is that the weapons listed that are cursed seem to be upgrades by ascencion only and likley only possible to get AFTER new londo it seems.
Was able to acquire the (cursed) Astoria Greatsword with
SIF's soul
upgrading a balder side sword to plus 10. YOu can spend this soul on other things, including a smilar sword only it is not cursed and does magic damge, but that upgrade requires the broken sword to be upgraded, not any straight sword like for the cursed version. Off to New londo as soon as I get home!

2AdEPT

elohel said:
how do you use the black eye orb? how can i relight the fire at firelink shrine and is it worth it?
you will be prompted to invade Lautrec while at Anor Londo just before the boss. Youcan't use the stone until you reach that area. You can die and try as many times as you like. It is worth it to wait to kill him as he drops what many say is some of the best shit in the game...plus three humanities.

you can't relight the fire unitl you kill this man and take the soul ofthe firekeeper back to the bars area and revive her. All optional but most would say why not have firelink bonfire and whny not get all the stuff?!?

2AdEPT

Anyone know about the dragon head thingy you get from the dragon covenant? It looks cool but does it get used up and that's it when you equip it? how long does it last?

Soulhouf

2AdEPT said:
I just posted a marathon post a few days ago explaining how to get LS from sens, plus gold trimmed armour from ruins, along with a huge pyro ability all in a few hours from the start of the game, no glitches. If you have the master key you can go to blighttown right from start-up througha back door, as well as drakes, garden, and basin. As soon as you are ready to kill Quellag, which is right away if you hire two phantoms, even mildred will do maybe, you can ring both bells, get crazy pyro from the covenant nearby, get the armour from ruins, and get the spear....see the marathon post a few pages back....its worth it.

I went striaght to Capra afterward, electrocuted the dogs wiht the lightning spear at the top of the stairs, then melted capra with lava....lost zero health at level 30.

f'n right! he had it coming.

edit: if anyone would like to do this and fight capra solo, but not cheese him, you can practice in the ruins using the mehtod..there are like
8 capra's in a row!
I did this beofre switching to a new character, so I cheesed the Capra boss on purpose just to see him melt...
i was able to melee all 8 capra's with SL60 or so.
I will watch the speed run after I beat the game. Thank you for the explanation, I totally see what you mean.
But I doubt that a normal person takes this route during his first run.

kodt

Banned
2AdEPT said:
Anyone know about the dragon head thingy you get from the dragon covenant? It looks cool but does it get used up and that's it when you equip it? how long does it last?

It doesn't get used up, it has infinite uses.

You can breath fire for a few seconds with it, until your endurance bar drains. When your bar fills back up, you can use it again.

You can only use it if you don't have a helmet/head piece equipped.

Your head will stay as a dragon, after using it, until you die.

Sotha Sil

So, is anyone having trouble invading the guilty as a Blade of the Darkmoon? I'd enjoy some PvP once in a while, but I haven't managed to invade yet.

Anor Londo is gorgeous, by the way.

Zoe said:
Capra

Capra is easy to defeat at 20 with Drake Sword, is not necessary to grind 5 days :p

Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out which covenant to join. I just got access to the Chaos Servant covenant and I'm trying to figure out whether I should join or wait for a different one. For the record, I'm a Pyromancer but I've barely touched my INT, instead loading into END and DEX. I also prefer PvE over PvP. Thanks!

Sotha Sil

Axelstream said:
Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out which covenant to join. I just got access to the Chaos Servant covenant and I'm trying to figure out whether I should join or wait for a different one. For the record, I'm a Pyromancer but I've barely touched my INT, instead loading into END and DEX. I also prefer PvE over PvP. Thanks!

Chaos Servant is a very good start for a pyromancer, but it will cost you 30 humanity to get the final spell (and the shortcut). If you're mainly interest in PvE, that's the way to go for now.

Sotha Sil said:
Chaos Servant is a very good start for a pyromancer, but it will cost you 30 humanity to get the final spell (and the shortcut). If you're mainly interest in PvE, that's the way to go for now.

Thanks man. I'm hoping the pyromancy will still be useful, even if I'm more of a melee build now. Two more questions: What's a good co-op play covenant for later on that would be good for my character, being mostly invested in DEX/END? Also,
I just came back from Blighttown and the Fire Keeper at Firelink Shrine is dead. D: I didn't free Lautrec either; I didn't have the key to free him at the time I encountered him. Any reason for this?

2AdEPT

Soulhouf said:
I will watch the speed run after I beat the game. Thank you for the explanation, I totally see what you mean.
But I doubt that a normal person takes this route during his first run.

What is "normal?" what I can't figure out is that From purposely said they wanted an open world so that there would not be one recommended path, and yet I got two people reply only, both detracters, that said they would never try it, one of whom said the reason was "becuase it is not the recommended path" ;p

IT is ideal for anyone complaining about Capra, that was the point. No one is forcing you to go to that boss and the depths before BLightotown if you have the Master key and blighttown is easier from behind IMO so those whiners can use this strategy as well. It makes ABSOLUTELY zero sense that people would not go to Darkroot beofre poison areas to get he healing stuff....i get that...but this route is consistent with what works from a developers standpoint....that is why it is avalid "recommended" route...the speed run part of it is irrelevant really.

Bottom line is ringing both bells is important to unlock the various paths...otherwise you don't have a choice regardless.

Axelstream said:
Thanks man. I'm hoping the pyromancy will still be useful, even if I'm more of a melee build now. Two more questions: What's a good co-op play covenant for later on that would be good for my character, being mostly invested in DEX/END? Also,
I just came back from Blighttown and the Fire Keeper at Firelink Shrine is dead. D: I didn't free Lautrec either; I didn't have the key to free him at the time I encountered him. Any reason for this?

He escapes on his own after the Gargoyle boss fight. He also doesn't give you the reward for freeing him.

Alucrid

Banned
Zoe said:
At what level should I start provoking the Black Knights?

The first one is pretty easy.
I was able to get him my first time through Undead Burg. The second one in the tower is a bit tougher. An easy way to get him to die is to aggro him, run all the way down so you get to the area where you climb the stairs up to the bridge where the dragon breaths fire, hide behind the top left wall and watch as the black knight gets roasted.

2AdEPT

Zoe said:
At what level should I start provoking the Black Knights?

You can go anytime as long as you have a decent shield, lure them into an open area, and go for backstabs. I strongly suggest waiting though until you raise your drop count both with at least level one humanity, and preferably with the covetous ring from sens. There really isn't any penalty for leaving them; the ring behind the first one in the burg is faaaar less useful than a blacknight great sword for example....which I got when I came back after ringing both bells as quick as humanly possible, collecting gold hemmed armour, collecting the spear and rings from sens, and reaching a higher pyro status with chaos.

noonche

I am stuck on the
4 Kings
. I get hit by their magic attacks running up and I can't seem to do enough damage
before the others start appearing. Once you're surrounded you are pretty much toast.
Any advice?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Forgot about this thread! I'm here to help. Try Iron Flesh, alske?

I did summon help for that fight. If you're not a heavy hitter it will make a huge difference.

sixghost

alske said:
I am stuck on the
4 Kings
. I get hit by their magic attacks running up and I can't seem to do enough damage
before the others start appearing. Once you're surrounded you are pretty much toast.
Any advice?
If you are having trouble doing enough damage to keep the fight mostly to a 1v1, you'll either need to summon help, or just wait until you are a higher level. That fight is really just a damage race. Depending on your build you either need to throw on some heavy armor, two hand a weapon and just go nuts, or carefully dodge while lighting them up with spells.

If you aren't a tank, pyro or wizard, I could see that fight being almost impossible. I'm not sure how the hell I'm going to do it in NG+, as I just barely scraped by last time by non-stop attacking while chugging potions.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sixghost said:
If you are having trouble doing enough damage to keep the fight mostly to a 1v1, you'll either need to summon help, or just wait until you are a higher level. That fight is really just a damage race. Depending on your build you either need to throw on some heavy armor, two hand a weapon and just go nuts, or carefully dodge while lighting them up with spells.

If you aren't a tank, pyro or wizard, I could see that fight being almost impossible. I'm not sure how the hell I'm going to do it in NG+, as I just barely scraped by last time by non-stop attacking while chugging potions.
Thief here- essentially I did need help to get it done. I could take one of them down alone with iron flesh + 2-handing, but the others. Having help and being a kind of tank with iron flesh and healing the party with estus made it very doable. It wasn't hard to find people to summon, so I was lucky.

tokkun

sixghost said:

Anyone can be a pyro, though, if they're willing to spend the time investing in upgrading the flame. The expense is not so exorbitant in NG+.

Another strategy that can be used by any build is Crystal Ring Shield + your strongest weapon + high poise armor/ring.

sladeums

started Anor Lando earlier and had to backtrack because it was a little tough.

so i've been grinding Quelaag as a white phantom to save up for the last Pyro spell...
and now i've got like 370,000 souls and am not really sure what to do w/ them.

i'm SL 41
stats:
VI|AT|EN|ST|DX|RE|IN|FA
10|16|24|22|19|12|12|09

been using Lightning Spear+3, Longbow+5, Crest Shield+3, Pyromancy+11.
would it be worth it keep dumping souls into my Pyromancy Glove?

or is there any must have equipment from merchants? i haven't really bought any.
am currently switching between Gold Hemmed and Black Iron armor.

wwyd ?

Orcastar

Zoe said:
If I went offline, could I still summon or get invaded by NPC's?
Summon? Yes. Not sure about invasions.

I got tired of getting invaded every time I was clearing out the room before the Anor Londo boss(es) so I could summon Solaire, so I went offline, cleared the room and was still able to summon him normally.

Now being a part of the Sunlight Covenant (or whatever it is called), has increased my chances of co-oping (in my mind anyway, but I suppose many people wouldn't mind a free Sunlight medal anyway =p), but it has also had one draw back...more times than not, the host dies =/

I have mainly lurked around the Wolf fight, as well as those two guys' boss area...but do put my sign down anywhere I feel I can help.

I do wish to offer any Gaffers, who can co-op with me a deal, if you'd like! I have upgraded all my Demon weapons as far as I would like, and have a lot of left over Demon Titanite materials, as well as some rare weapons I can drop if you'd like (mainly the Jagged ghost Blade, but sometimes come across Boar's Helms, or Gargoyle Helms, Tridents, Catch Poles, etc.)

I often drop these shortly before the conclusion of a boss fight, but if you mention you're a Gaffer, I'll give you something nice beforehand, so win or lose, you gain something =p

I believe I am SL 180ish now (50 intelligence and faith was a long path...=/), so feel free to message me here, or on my PSN name =p
Dreamcasted60

---By the way, on my fifth playthrough, I decided to be crazy, and ring the Blighttown bell first, which I found REALLY messes up character paths. Solaire is useless and won't stop staring at the Sun, the firekeeper dies earlier, and the witch never showed up either (even though I had a pyro flame ready for her...=/) So, needless to say, I shall never do that again!

Vice

I can't seem to beat
Chaos Witch Quelaag
I'm on my fifth try. Any tips, I can get her down to 1/4 health.

Top Bottom