• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you stay very close to her and circle around, all but one of her attacks should miss you. When she lies down to do the shockwave, back up quick.

Hawkian said:
If you stay very close to her and circle around, all but one of her attacks should miss you. When she lies down to do the shockwave, back up quick.

Adding on to this, she usually throws in that fire burst AoE attack after her three-swipe move. You can go right up to her and then a little to the right or left to avoid all three swipes, getting in some hits of your own. However, after that, you should stop locking on so that you can watch her human body; if it bends over, then run for it. You can shield, too, if you don't think you'll make it -- it's a wise idea to do this even when you think you're out of range, just in case -- but you'll eat between 1/3 - 1/2 of your life damage.

Additionally, having fellow phantoms is rather helpful during this fight.

Vice said:
I can't seem to beat
Chaos Witch Quelaag
I'm on my fifth try. Any tips, I can get her down to 1/4 health.

Go to bonfire, reverse hollow. Inmediatly you'll have a sign about being invaded by an NPC. Wait, and you'll be atacked by a NPC with butcher knife. Kill him, is quite easy.

Go to the boss and just before the fog there will be a summon sign. It's of the NPC. Summon and enter.

Let the NPC get all the aggro (he has tons of life, i took my time and in the end he still had like 80% of life) and you circle the boss and hit by the side, not the back. Be careful about the AOE attacks.

Ken

DangerousDave said:
Go to bonfire, reverse hollow. Inmediatly you'll have a sign about being invaded by an NPC. Wait, and you'll be atacked by a NPC with butcher knife. Kill him, is quite easy.

Go to the boss and just before the fog there will be a summon sign. It's of the NPC. Summon and enter.

Let the NPC get all the aggro (he has tons of life, i took my time and in the end he still had like 80% of life) and you circle the boss and hit by the side, not the back. Be careful about the AOE attacks.

Honestly, I think the phantom you can summon hurts more than helps. The way I beat Queelag is to watch her hand motions, and if she's turned to face the phantom I miss out on all her telegraphs. The phantom also likes to get stuck in the lava and staggers from the damage over time, making her trapped for a good few seconds.

To avoid her fire sword, I just run to one side of the spiders head and her attacks will miss.

She telegraphs her fire spit move (where it sprays fire in an arc in front of the spider) by placing one hand on the spider's head. Pretty much means it's safe to attack her from the sides.

She telegraphs her AoE fire explosion by placing both hands on the spider's head. At that point you should have enough time to run away.

I think the spider telegraphs the jumping attack by crouching for a second or two which is a good time to run.

Ken said:
Honestly, I think the phantom you can summon hurts more than helps. The way I beat Queelag is to watch her hand motions, and if she's turned to face the phantom I miss out on all her telegraphs. The phantom also likes to get stuck in the lava and staggers from the damage over time, making her trapped for a good few seconds.

To avoid her fire sword, I just run to one side of the spiders head and her attacks will miss.

She telegraphs her fire spit move (where it sprays fire in an arc in front of the spider) by placing one hand on the spider's head. Pretty much means it's safe to attack her from the sides.

She telegraphs her AoE fire explosion by placing both hands on the spider's head. At that point you should have enough time to run away.

I think the spider telegraphs the jumping attack by crouching for a second or two which is a good time to run.

If you are very fast, maybe (or without autofocus). But I had a lot of trouble to avoid the sword, and for me it was more a resistance battle, because i had to block too much fire-based attacks. Also, I used (wrongly) the focus, so sometimes some AoE got me by surprise and i needed to block instead of run.

But the phantom, for me, at least, it worked perfectly. Without help, I got her under 1/2 of life, but i run out of estus (is very easy to use estus each time that he make an AoE attack). Then I decided to kindle the bonfire to have 10 estus, and the phantom appeared. When I summoned him, I kill the boss spending a single estus. I was able to see her AoE attack even better (because even if I was with autofocus, i saw her better because i was on side-back, not on front)

Hey gents, what's a solid upgrade to the drake sword? Getting a little tired of it.

Also (part directly after Queelag spoilers):
I accidentally killed the vendor and Queelag's sister without knowing what they were... Did I completely screw myself out of anything super important?

Also where do you go after Blighttown? To the gate that opened up?

Ken

Graffgor said:
Hey gents, what's a solid upgrade to the drake sword? Getting a little tired of it.

Also (part directly after Queelag spoilers):
I accidentally killed the vendor and Queelag's sister without knowing what they were... Did I completely screw myself out of anything super important?

Also where do you go after Blighttown? To the gate that opened up?

You lost the chance to get two unique Chaos pyromancy spells and two toxic pyromancy spells, as well as a shortcut into an end game area. If you aren't a pyromancer, it's not a huge deal. As for the shortcut, it's the only way to save a certain NPC if you care about that.

After Blighttown you can go to Sen's Fortress (the gate that just opened up). I like to finish up stuff at Darkroot Forest before heading to Sen's.

DangerousDave said:
If you are very fast, maybe (or without autofocus). But I had a lot of trouble to avoid the sword, and for me it was more a resistance battle, because i had to block too much fire-based attacks. Also, I used (wrongly) the focus, so sometimes some AoE got me by surprise and i needed to block instead of run.

Aside from her AoE, which fire attacks are you blocking? The only time I get hit by fire is when fighting her too close to fire already on the ground and the spider pushes me in.

I keep kind of close to her, so that may be why. Her sword animation does have a long start up time which I use to rush at her.

Ken

Graffgor said:
God damn it... I am a Pyro as it turns out.

The only really good spell you'll miss out is
the Chaos Great Fireball. It's a Great Fireball that leaves behind lava on the ground to deal extra damage. It also scales with humanity.
The other spells are kind of bleh.

Oh, the vendor can upgrade your gloves to 15 (but not ascend) but if you have Laurentius still alive it doesn't matter.

Vice

DangerousDave said:

I've done about the same with or without the phantom. I just need to pay attention to the human part for the aoe cue. That's how I've died every time,

Giard

Is there any reason to stay in the Forest Hunters if you received the Ring of Fog? I want the
Dark Wood Grain Ring that the ninja drops...but i like the Cat Covenant Ring for PvP.

Ken said:
Aside from her AoE, which fire attacks are you blocking? The only time I get hit by fire is when fighting her too close to fire already on the ground and the spider pushes me in.

The sword that she uses, because i used autofocus and that made me move too slow. But, wathever, that spider is story and now I'm in Anor Londo, with my new black armour.

Ken

Giard said:
Is there any reason to stay in the Forest Hunters if you received the Ring of Fog? I want the
Dark Wood Grain Ring that the ninja drops...but i like the Cat Covenant Ring for PvP.

Aside from getting access to merchant Shiva and Forest PvP, I don't think there are any other benefits to staying in the covenant. Oh, I also guess you don't get invaded by other Forest Hunters while in the forest.

Giard

Ken said:
Aside from getting access to merchant Shiva and Forest PvP, I don't think there are any other benefits to staying in the covenant. Oh, I also guess you don't get invaded by other Forest Hunters while in the forest.
Thanks.

tokkun

Ken said:
The only really good spell you'll miss out is
the Chaos Great Fireball. It's a Great Fireball that leaves behind lava on the ground to deal extra damage. It also scales with humanity.
The other spells are kind of bleh.

Oh, the vendor can upgrade your gloves to 15 (but not ascend) but if you have Laurentius still alive it doesn't matter.

The humanity scaling on those spells is currently broken. So prior to a patch that fixes it, Great Fireball is clearly superior (half the slots vs residual lava).

I figured I should probably post this information on Community if for some reason you don't read the Gaming Dark Souls thread.

A few hours ago I learned of a way to farm the Symbol of Avarice you get from
mimics

How to farm :
Punch the mimic
Throw a Lloyd's Talisman at mimic, it returns to sleep.
Check if headpiece dropped. If not, you repeat the process

Took me ~396 tries

pmj

I just finished Blighttown and it seems like the difficulty has ramped up considerably.

In Sen's Fortress, the lizard guards take 11 hits by my drake sword to go down, and that's the best weapon I have by a good margin.

Is it supposed to be a lot more challenging, or does my drake sword not cut it anymore? I could grind 10k souls and upgrade it, but from what I can tell the upgraded stats (200 to 220) wouldn't make a huge difference.

pmj said:
I just finished Blighttown and it seems like the difficulty has ramped up considerably.

In Sen's Fortress, the lizard guards take 11 hits by my drake sword to go down, and that's the best weapon I have by a good margin.

Is it supposed to be a lot more challenging, or does my drake sword not cut it anymore? I could grind 10k souls and upgrade it, but from what I can tell the upgraded stats (200 to 220) wouldn't make a huge difference.

In Sen's fortress you'll find a lighting spear that do much more damange than drake sword (the stats seems lower, but is lighting damage, so you'll make much more damage to almost any creature). It's not worthy to upgrade now Drake Sword because it don't scale, so you won't use it anymore.

pmj

DangerousDave said:
In Sen's fortress you'll find a lighting spear that do much more damange than drake sword (the stats seems lower, but is lighting damage, so you'll make much more damage to almost any creature). It's not worthy to upgrade now Drake Sword because it don't scale, so you won't use it anymore.
Well, darn it. I had heard that lightning spears were awesome so I spent a lot on upgrading a winged spear to +7, hoping to make it lightning at some point. Oh well.

I'll level up some too. Apparently level 37 isn't as overleveled as I thought at this point in the game.

V-Gief

pmj said:
Well, darn it. I had heard that lightning spears were awesome so I spent a lot on upgrading a winged spear to +7, hoping to make it lightning at some point. Oh well.

I'll level up some too. Apparently level 37 isn't as overleveled as I thought at this point in the game.
Keep upgrading the winged spear and make it lightning whenever you can. It will beat out the normal lightning spear. So you haven't wasted any souls upgrading useless stuff in that regard :)

V-Gief said:
Keep upgrading the winged spear and make it lightning whenever you can. It will beat out the normal lightning spear. So you haven't wasted any souls upgrading useless stuff in that regard :)

Or he can keep it at +10, get Ornstein Soul and make a DragonSlayer Spear.

tokkun

V-Gief said:

It beats it in damage, but it's also heavier. So I wouldn't say it's clearly superior.

I made mine into Divine +10 to use killing skeletons.

pmj

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep using the lightning spear I found and do something else with the winged spear. Something good for skeletons sounds nice, but I don't use magic at all and have almost no faith, so a fire spear would probably be more useful to me than a divine one if I understand how this works correctly. The Dragonslayer Spear looks cool though, so I'll probably go with that.

Man, the slugs in Blighttown drop a ton of large titanite shards. It didn't take many minutes to gather enough shards to upgrade all armour and weapons I use as far as shards can take them. If only the chunks were as easy to obtain! I think this is about as ready as I'll get, so time to tackle Sen's Fortress.

Giard

Can someone tell me where I should go now?
I just got the Lordvessel, and beat Pinwheel in the Catacombs. I could go to the Tomb of Giants from here but I can't see shit. Maybe Demon Ruins?

Orcastar

Giard said:
Can someone tell me where I should go now?
I just got the Lordvessel, and beat Pinwheel in the Catacombs. I could go to the Tomb of Giants from here but I can't see shit. Maybe Demon Ruins?
You can proceed to Tomb of Giants or go for Demon Ruins, New Londo (take the elevator down from Firelink) or to Duke's Archives (through Anor Londo). Doesn't really matter which order you tackle them in; you'll have to all of them anyway.

If you have at least 14 intelligence, you can go to Darkroot Basin where you killed the hydra boss. Hug the left wall and make your way to the back of the lake where you should find a golem. Kill it to meet an NPC that will sell you a light spell, which will make traversing Tomb of Giants much easier.

Giard

Orcastar said:
You can proceed to Tomb of Giants or go for Demon Ruins, New Londo (take the elevator down from Firelink) or to Duke's Archives (through Anor Londo). Doesn't really matter which order you tackle them in; you'll have to all of them anyway.

If you have at least 14 intelligence, you can go to Darkroot Basin where you killed the hydra boss. Hug the left wall and make your way to the back of the lake where you should find a golem. Kill it to meet an NPC that will sell you a light spell, which will make traversing Tomb of Giants much easier.

I haven't killed
the Hydra yet though. :p I tried getting close to it once and I fell in the lake. Must it be a ranged battle?
Thanks for the hints. I'll try out Demon Ruins first.

Ken

Giard said:
I haven't killed
the Hydra yet though. :p I tried getting close to it once and I fell in the lake. Must it be a ranged battle?
Thanks for the hints. I'll try out Demon Ruins first.
Get close to the hydra but not close enough that you fall into the hole that surrounds him. He'll start attacking you by lunging with his heads. Block and attack the heads and repeat until dead.

Giard

Ken said:
Get close to the hydra but not close enough that you fall into the hole that surrounds him. He'll start attacking you by lunging with his heads. Block and attack the heads and repeat until dead.
Thanks.

Giard

I beat
the Hydra
mentioned above. After that, people seem to be leaving messages "Golem ahead". Reading online, there's supposed to be a
Golden Golem here, but it's empty.
I went to the end of the lake. Is there really supposed to be something here?

NVM, reloaded and its there.

2AdEPT

Graffgor said:
Thank you for the replies my good man.

I suppose I'll just keep going and remedy that mistake in new game+.

THere's always starting another character (using the souls glitch to level up to where you were is acceptable in my mind.) Plus it doesn't ake as long your second time through. I lost a vendor and started over and couldn't be happier...if I feel like PVP I can have more options wioth two charcters adn as it turned out the first character has what the other missed and vice versa.

If you are hard set on that character, youget other ascension and different spells from Queelana who comes out in the swamp once you get your flame to plus 10. SHe ascends your falme to a new type and gives good pyro anyway. IF you lost Laurentius and the vendor in the chaos section then start over as your pyro won't be high enough at end game even if you like the spells you have.

NEO0MJ

I need help. I've been cursed and I can't find the healer. Where is he in new londo?
Note: I have yet to ring the second bell.

NEO0MJ said:
I need help. I've been cursed and I can't find the healer. Where is he in new londo?
Note: I have yet to ring the second bell.

Either the merchant in the bell tower right after the gargoyles or the undead female merchant behind the bars in the shortcut from the alley with the thieves to Firelink Shrine. (The female merchant is 3k souls, the bell tower guy is 6k souls).

thundr51

Just curious, about what level is everybody tackling Anor Londo? Currently around 40 but thinking of leveling/upgrading my weapons a bit then coming back. Managed to beat Ornstein with help but the other took me down. I figure if I upgrade my divine spear and quelaag sword a bit more I should be able to take them both fairly easily.

Incidentally, anybody is there a merchant somewhere that sells humanity? I remember buying some a while ago but can't remember from who.

Finally got the game in ! :)

The op and the thread has same great insides but if I want to read more on how to best start the game what website should I go to?

Played some of demon souls but not a lot, so most terms I do not really understand yet.

walbertsmith said:
Either the merchant in the bell tower right after the gargoyles or the undead female merchant behind the bars in the shortcut from the alley with the thieves to Firelink Shrine. (The female merchant is 3k souls, the bell tower guy is 6k souls).

Actually, I think it's the other way around, 3k in the belltower and 6k in the female merchant. She is closer to firelink after all, so it's only natural that hers are more expensive.

I may be wrong though :)

NEO0MJ

walbertsmith said:

Thanks!

Risk Breaker said:

Actually, you're right!

2AdEPT

Anyone able to get something from the hawk girl in the asylum when offering the pyro glove....thought i read on here it had to be upgraded....i tried both a +15 and the Queelana +5 she said both weren't warm or snuggly!?!?!?!

Roklie

I have a Divine Halberd +5 and I was thinking about using the Washing Pole, but that would mean putting souls up 20 in strength, I have 16 now. If I make it divine how powerful will it be compared to my divine halberd?

theta11

Risk Breaker said:
Actually, I think it's the other way around, 3k in the belltower and 6k in the female merchant. She is closer to firelink after all, so it's only natural that hers are more expensive.

You are correct, also Oswald has a limited supply where as the merchant in the sewers is unlimited.

Roklie said:
I have a Divine Halberd +5 and I was thinking about using the Washing Pole, but that would mean putting souls up 20 in strength, I have 16 now. If I make it divine how powerful will it be compared to my divine halberd?
Divine Washing Pole + 5 is weaker than Divine Halberd + 5.
They have the same Stat scaling.
Weaker by about 20 on the Physical and 40 weaker in Magical.

I'm finally getting this game tonight, and as it's been so long since I last played Demon's Souls I'm having a hard time remembering what stats were useful for my play style. I remember liking to roll around a lot and wear light armor with one-handed swords: can I forgo strength, for the most part? Or am I completely misremembering my experience?

EDIT: It's all coming back to me. Since I had a blast playing as the character I used in Demon's Souls, I'm looking for advice to replicate it. I used that gigantic butcher knife with a decent bow and that spell that gave me a second life, more or less. How should I go about building a character that'll suit my taste?

Has probably been asked a thousand times, but should I kill Lautrec now or not? I know that you can get his armor when you leave him, but not having the bonfire at the central hub seems like a pain in the ass. I'm not that far in the game (just killed the gargoyles), so I probably have some time left till it happens?

Also where should I go after killing the Gargoyle? The boss in the basement (with the dogs) is kicking my ass hard.

Oh, and also, what's a good early weapon for a dex build? I'm currently using the Scimitar +3.

Thanks a million guys.

akira28

Interfectum said:
Dark Souls is a glimpse at a gaming future we never got. Somewhere along the lines gaming got dumbed down beyond all recognition to the point where DS is seen as some sort of niche, impossible gaming experience. Pretty sad.

This. This game is deep, but nothing unnecessary or too top-heavy. Its thought of as some kind of impossible experience full of punishment, but the rewards. Its more like a dominatrix session than anything, I'd imagine. There's fear, there's so much pain...so much. And there's that payoff, it feels awesome. I guess comparing this game to S&M is right. I have to be a masochist to leave the bonfire after seeing 20K souls go up in smoke because of a low level undead warrior and a serious lack of sleep.

Misterinenja said:
Just let him kill her. It's not so bad and it doesn't take too long to get her back.

I read that as "doesn't take too long to get her on her back." I must need sleep. Or maybe firekeeper Rule 34?

_dementia said:
How do you get her back?

You get her soul back from killing Lautrec. Then just go up to the bars where she was, hit x and it'll ask you if you want to put her soul back. Only way you can go wrong is if you used her soul for a flask upgrade.

Top Bottom