• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

zkylon

zkylewd
ah that's too bad, tho i guess it would've felt too much like a rehash of an old idea. i didn't want to risk it myself but i was planning on doing it on ng+ :p

really liked the story in dks2 now that i think back on it. there wasn't a character up to solaire's or ostrava's bro-ness but in general i've really enjoyed it

btw is there like a checklist for stuff to do before ng+?

i missed most if not all the npc summon quests because i wanted to try the bosses 1v1 but i guess i can do that in ng+, but i mean more like spells, weapons, armor sets, side quests, hidden areas, all that stuff

edit: btw is there a lore reason for
enemies not respawning after X deaths? i always thought that hollows you killed were people like you and so their respawning mirrored yours. maybe on the bonfire ascetic description or something?
edit2: i'll tkae this to the lore thread, no need to bother people here

Mistel

Banned
ah that's too bad, tho i guess it would've felt too much like a rehash of an old idea. i didn't want to risk it myself but i was planning on doing it on ng+ :p

really liked the story in dks2 now that i think back on it. there wasn't a character up to solaire's or ostrava's bro-ness but in general i've really enjoyed it

btw is there like a checklist for stuff to do before ng+?

i missed most if not all the npc summon quests because i wanted to try the bosses 1v1 but i guess i can do that in ng+, but i mean more like spells, weapons, armor sets, side quests, hidden areas, all that stuff
This is pretty close to everything you want do before NG+:
  1. Farm upgrade materials.
  2. Upgrade desired armors and arms infuse at McDuff if wanted.
  3. Kill optional bosses.
  4. Craft wanted boss equipment.
  5. Join the covenant you want for your next playthrough
  6. Rank up all the covenants you want for rewards.

I'll try it out, I was just expecting better consider how strong GMB is and that only takes 1 slot. 50 physical doesn't sound much since my attack rating is already 600, I guess it would be a lot better if you're using a dagger or something.

It is a better upgrade with a weapon that you do fast, multiple strikes so it adds up. Someone should try it with Rapiers, I imagine it's killer

TnK

Soft caps are the point of diminishing returns for stat investment. You will be interested in the pursuer or zweihander if you like ultra greatswords.

Problem is, I already invested a lot in the Greatsword, and I don't know if I have more resources to fully upgrade either the zweihander or the pursuer sword.
That being said, my greatsword can't be upgraded above +8, even when having the materials and souls.

EDIT: Nvm, the game is having an odd glitch where the required is on the left side, and the items present are on the right. Odd.

zkylon

zkylewd
Problem is, I already invested a lot in the Greatsword, and I don't know if I have more resources to fully upgrade either the zweihander or the pursuer sword.
That being said, my greatsword can't be upgraded above +8, even when having the materials and souls.

EDIT: Nvm, the game is having an odd glitch where the required is on the left side, and the items present are on the right. Odd.
i just beat the game and have like 11 titanite slabs and haven't done much grinding (tho gotten pretty lucky and killed all the lizards in dragon aerie)

buying better upgrade materials of all atypes becomes available later on the game.

you shouldn't waste too much but i've upgraded to +10 weapons i seldom use and it's ok

Mistel

Banned
Leveling sentinels is worth more than every other covenant because WoG.
Which isn't exactly great with the requirements it needs.
You will do it does a complete 180 on the resources front compared to the start.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Geez, neither Captain Drangleic nor Benhart have a sense of self-preservation.

*summon ONE of them* (WTF at this limitation From?)

"SALLY-FORTH!" *goes through fire and flame to be smacked by the boss as I rush my ass after them*

BARELY KEEP THEM ALIVE.

(But I don't get the achievement nor helm from Cap. WTF. And Benhart's quest doesn't give me a new location. His dialog repeats in the memory.)

That his secret, Captain: You have to go back to the PREVIOUS memory to get the helm. WTF.

gamelova

Does this game get harder? I started the game a few days ago and I just defeated the
flexile sentry in the ghost ship
. I am at
Lost Bastille
now and honestly I feel overpowered at level 45, I have 9 human effigy's, the bosses are really easy, and the game is overall a lot easier than Dark Souls 1. I know I am still early in the game but honestly I was hoping for a much greater challenge than what I am getting. I heard that the difficulty picks up about a quarter of the way through the game, is that true?

Mistel

Banned
Hahaha ok.
150 kills for it is not exactly worth it considering how you need blue cracked eye orbs that don't work half the time or tokens of fidelity to duel.
Does this game get harder? I started the game a few days ago and I just defeated the
flexile sentry in the ghost sgehip
. I am at
Lost Bastille
now and honestly I feel overpowered at level 45, I have 9 human effigy's, the bosses are really easy, and the game is overall a lot easier than Dark Souls 1. I know I am still early in the game but honestly I was hoping for a much greater challenge than what I am getting. I heard that the difficulty picks up about a quarter of the way through the game, is that true?
It does get harder later on in the game you are not very far in at all.

AngryMoth

150 kills for it is not exactly worth it considering how you need blue cracked eye orbs that don't work half the time or tokens of fidelity to duel.
It is useful though for dealing with 2/3 on 1 situations, and getting blue orbs isn't an issue if you are a soul hoarder like me. I quite like the covenant for the ability to invade in random locations although I mainly focus on blood bros for the arena.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

WoG is pretty much required if you're invading past ng and want much hope of winning 2v1s or 3v1s, and getting the souls to buy the orbs is a trivial affair. You can just buy WoG in ng++ of course, but if you want to get WoG while keeping SM as low as possible for as long as possible then you'll want to get it through leveling Sentinels. And WoG is still hella strong if you spice it down.

Sentinels is one of the most useful covenants to level. No question about it.

AngryMoth

WoG is pretty much required if you're invading past ng and want much hope of winning 2v1s or 3v1s, and getting the souls to buy the orbs is a trivial affair. You can just buy WoG in ng++ of course, but if you want to get WoG while keeping SM as low as possible for as long as possible then you'll want to get it through leveling Sentinels. And WoG is still hella strong if you spice it down.
True but I still think GRS is the best option for dealing with 2/3 on 1s, I find people are far more careless and overconfident when they outnumber you so a lot less likely to dodge.
Also people who summon tend to be worse at the game :p
That sounds so broken I may have to use a Soul Vessel just for the lolz.
Don't forget ring of blades +2!

Jesus guys, you were right. NG++ is a ghost town.

Shouldn't this only be dependant on your Soul Memory? Is it a ghost town for PvP, coop or both?

Maybe I'm an outlier but I am about half way through my ng+ run and I only have 3.5M SM and I still see a fair amount of online activity.

TheSeks

According to this I can do the final battle, yeah? I've done the memories besides the Giant one that isn't a boss battle. I can go "finish" the game and then mop up NG right?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why is it that the people who have every popular pvp item equipped and maxed are the biggest crying bitches when they lose? If you're wearing full havels and have all the trimmings AND you're a chugger AND you get your shit pushed in by a dude with just a shield and a blacksteel katana im sorry. You forfeit your right to send anyone hate mail. Not to mention i had to chase this cuntbag around for like 5 minutes and the best thing he has to say in the 20 messages he kept spamming was 'lolz lag backstabs'. Yea asshole ..all fifteen i had to land on you. It takes a lot to irritate me in any game's online play but this is how. If you're going to rock the least creative build ever at least do everyone else the courtesy of shutting the fuck up when you lose a game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
True but I still think GRS is the best option for dealing with 2/3 on 1s, I find people are far more careless and overconfident when they outnumber you so a lot less likely to dodge.
Also people who summon tend to be worse at the game :p

Don't agree about GRS, but yeah, it's fun when gangbangs go down like this

Soulhouf

flexile sentry in the ghost ship
. I am at
Lost Bastille

May-I ask you why did you level up if you're finding the game easy?
For someone familiar with these games DS2 isn't hard. You can beat it relatively low level even in your first run. I beat it SL34 first time. There was some challenging parts but it was doable.

Totally Original and amazing Havelyn Build

High level, and high skill Dark Souls 2 PvP.

OMG his voice ._.

Booshka

Why is it that the people who have every popular pvp item equipped and maxed are the biggest crying bitches when they lose? If you're wearing full havels and have all the trimmings AND you're a chugger AND you get your shit pushed in by a dude with just a shield and a blacksteel katana im sorry. You forfeit your right to send anyone hate mail. Not to mention i had to chase this cuntbag around for like 5 minutes and the best thing he has to say in the 20 messages he kept spamming was 'lolz lag backstabs'. Yea asshole ..all fifteen i had to land on you. It takes a lot to irritate me in any game's online play but this is how. If you're going to rock the least creative build ever at least do everyone else the courtesy of shutting the fuck up when you lose a game.

Instead of raging at obvious hatemail and trolling, take it as a badge of honor and enjoy the salt.

Laugh it off.

TheSeks

Yep. You don't go to NG+ right away.

Nice. I still got Shards to find before I do NG+ for Magic.

Well that and the dreaded Sol Bellassholes to worry about.

Yes you can go do the boss. Done watcher and defender yet?

Nope, but I gotta summon Benhart and pray he stays alive through them for the final battle. Oy. That and need a summon dude for back-up kiting purposes to keep said Benhart alive. Ugh.

Question is if I want to summon Vingarl as well. I'd assume not.

Nice. I still got Shards to find before I do NG+ for Magic.

Well that and the dreaded Sol Bellassholes to worry about.

Nope, but I gotta summon Benhart and pray he stays alive through them for the final battle. Oy. That and need a summon dude for back-up kiting purposes to keep said Benhart alive. Ugh.

If you need another victory for Benhart, just use an Ascetic for Prowling Magus, easy win.

Mistel

Banned
If you need another victory for Benhart, just use an Ascetic for Prowling Magus, easy win.
There's something horribly wrong if Benhart dies in that fight.
Woe is definitely yours as long as you do the throne twins fast enough it should be alright to have him next round.

So for Rank 2 of the Belfry covenant (for the spell)... does killing any invader do or does it have to be someone whose world I'm summoned into for it to count? Because if it's the latter, I've only invaded 1 person but have gotten invaded most of the time.

I know there's a farming method for those who don't like PvP, but I just want to make sure of what the stipulations are before I do it. If it's any player kill that counts, I'll continue to do PvP because it can be quite fun. It feels good destroying 2 enemies in a 2v1 situation ;)

TnK

i just beat the game and have like 11 titanite slabs and haven't done much grinding (tho gotten pretty lucky and killed all the lizards in dragon aerie)

buying better upgrade materials of all atypes becomes available later on the game.

you shouldn't waste too much but i've upgraded to +10 weapons i seldom use and it's ok

Which isn't exactly great with the requirements it needs.

You will do it does a complete 180 on the resources front compared to the start.

Well, both of this is good to know. Thing is, I don't know un-petrify the NPCs. I seem to have ran out of whatever I used before.

How am I supposed to approach the
poison all over the floor
boss? That is a semi-impossible fight...

Booshka

So for Rank 2 of the Belfry covenant (for the spell)... does killing any invader do or does it have to be someone whose world I'm summoned into for it to count? Because if it's the latter, I've only invaded 1 person but have gotten invaded most of the time.

I know there's a farming method for those who don't like PvP, but I just want to make sure of what the stipulations are before I do it. If it's any player kill that counts, I'll continue to do PvP because it can be quite fun. It feels good destroying 2 enemies in a 2v1 situation ;)

You need to be summoned to fight off a trespasser to get the Covenant credit. Stand in front of Smelter Demon's Boss fog with the bellkeeper ring on and wait, if you get fog walled or invaded, just pass through Smelters boss fog then walk back in front of it and try again.

You need to be summoned to fight off a trespasser to get the Covenant credit. Stand in front of Smelter Demon's Boss fog with the bellkeeper ring on and wait, if you get fog walled or invaded, just pass through Smelters boss fog then walk back in front of it and try again.
Damn, that's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

Also, hot tip! Thanks.

How am I supposed to approach the
poison all over the floor
boss? That is a semi-impossible fight...
There's a way to
drain the poison from the arena.

Before I did that I would get super close to beating it. It was one of the more frustrating fights because of it. Then I put my sign down after losing and then i saw THE TRUTH. And then I looked around.

Not quite, I got it from farming Mad Warrior. He accounted for probably 15 of my 20 kills. I was farming Mad Warrior for his set but got a few chunks along the way and rank 2 so it was a good use of time.

Fired up Demon's Souls for the first time in forever. Was actually surprised to see the online was still active.

It's amazing how better I am now, was able to knock out the first area in about 30 minutes. Actually was almost able to beat the tutorial boss, but misjudged his range.

Decided to go a caster route, as I've never done magic in the * Souls series.

Sullichin

I've been winning a good amount of my blood covenant duels lately (big thanks to everyone who spams curved sword parries on un-parryable R2 attacks) and I'm still rank 0. The ranking system is dumb in that covenant.

Mistel

Banned
I've been winning a good amount of my blood covenant duels lately (big thanks to everyone who spams curved sword parries on un-parryable R2 attacks) and I'm still rank 0. The ranking system is dumb in that covenant.
The 2 handed ultra great swords also have movesets like that too I believe.

I don't know why, but
Vendrick
and the
Ancient Dragon
feel "harder" than any of the bosses I faced in Dark Souls, which is a weird contrast given that I breezed through the majority of Dark Souls 2. I mean, I didn't have an extraordinary amount of trouble with Manus, Kalameet, or Artorias at level 25, but some of these optional bosses in Dark Souls 2 have comparatively huge health bars, have very high defense, and have many OHK moves, giving me trouble at nearly 80 soul levels higher. They seem to crave a lot more patience.

Top Bottom