• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
I don't know why, but
Vendrick
and the
Ancient Dragon
feel "harder" than any of the bosses I faced in Dark Souls, which is a weird contrast given that I breezed through the majority of Dark Souls 2. I mean, I didn't have an extraordinary amount of trouble with Manus, Kalameet, or Artorias at level 25, but some of these optional bosses in Dark Souls 2 have comparatively huge health bars, have very high defense, and have many OHK moves, giving me trouble at nearly 80 soul levels higher. They seem to crave a lot more patience.
Have you got any giant souls?

I don't know why, but
Vendrick
and the
Ancient Dragon
feel "harder" than any of the bosses I faced in Dark Souls, which is a weird contrast given that I breezed through the majority of Dark Souls 2. I mean, I didn't have an extraordinary amount of trouble with Manus, Kalameet, or Artorias at level 25, but some of these optional bosses in Dark Souls 2 have comparatively huge health bars, have very high defense, and have many OHK moves, giving me trouble at nearly 80 soul levels higher. They seem to crave a lot more patience.

Vendrick and Ancient Dragon are tough fights because there is no margin for error, contrasted with Manus and Kalameet that are hard because they have challenging designs which is why they are more fun and rewarding.

BadWolf

Hah, yeah, I have about 4 now so I'm doing ~120 damage instead of 23. I just need to be patient enough to slowly whittle away his health.

Try to keep circling him and stick as close as possible to the back of his left arm. This way his horizontal slash will miss you and his attacks overall will be much easier to avoid.

It's the knowledge that pretty much every attack of Vendrick's and Ancient Dragon's in NG+ is a OHK. It wears you down and it makes you impatient.

I mean, technically, Vendrick is kind of easy; simple dodging and strafing. If you get greedy, though, he'll punish you; much like that time he squished the life out of me as a I was casting what should have been the winning Great Lightning Spear.

Seeing his animation wind up faster than expected and knowing that my cast wouldn't finish in time... It was a classic Souls slap in the face - humbling and aggravating.

garath

Lol. Sometimes I make things harder than they need to be. I tried the chariot boss five times. The first 4 I was trying so hard to cheese him with arrows and kept dying. Finally I said screw it and decided to try the real way. It was 6 hits from my +7 great sword. Oops. That was easy. Should have done that from the beginning.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
10321004_10100513798118265_6071622449068598706_o.jpg

Came into this world with this un-upgraded armor, I leave it with un-upgraded armor. (Yes, that's right. I didn't touch the upgrade for anything but weapons)

FASHION SOULZ TIEM?

The last boss is kinda a let-down. On one hand, I'm happy that she isn't as attack happy as the boss of Dark Souls 1 ending (god I hated trying to avoid his bullshit) but on the other it's basically "get high curse-defense gear, wade in and wack her while avoiding her physical attacks. Or have someone tank (pref. a summon) while another summon and you throw high-level magic at her to death since she won't move an inch and just PEW PEW laser if she isn't annoyed by the tank in curse defense mode."

On one hand, this could've been amazing is some of the "bland" forest and wilderness was cut out or more castle/urban stuff was added. Given how often you're traveling through the environment it gets kinda... boring... going through the forests and the castles are a nice change of pace but too short (besides the "main" one obviously) to be too worthwhile. I guess they felt you were in too many castles in Dark 1, which is kinda true, to reverse that. No balance between the pacing of the two it seems.

It was pretty (despite the downgrade) and not overly annoying besides a few platforming sections, which seems to want the L3 button jump for some of them. The memory that wants the Jousting Lance is a notable one. The other being the Chariot Estus upgrade. Using the old B-button jump is no go for both of those as the run up is too short for a normal run and angle/jump.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I like most of the changes. Soul Memory is a nice idea, but honestly (I'm sure I'll be flayed alive) my begging From to put in an option to turn on/off invasions for when you feel like having your shit ruined or not and feeling like playing with PvP on or not would solve the "twink" issue more than Soul Memory. If Biohazard 6 can do it for it's Agent Hunt mode and so can Watch Dogs, there's no reason From can't do it despite "hardcore" fan protests about it "dumbing down the game! HURR!"

Add in the fact that invasions happen while hollow, which used to be a safe "I'm trying to explore, fuck off" blanket and it's just annoying as hell to go through areas without backtracking to the bonfire to turn on an invasion stop for a moment.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the Majula "hub" with "inter-connected" fingers wave design.

Red sign ganking is cool now huh? Why am I not surprised. Or did I miss something?

I knew this was going to happen as soon as I heard about the inefficient way of doing LGK summoning. I imagine there are posse's of 3 just ganking them all day. They should have made it part of a covenant or a unique consumable or something.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Today was such a good day in Souls 2. I beat two Bell invaders, then summoned a co-op buddy who helped me clear the area, then took on the Gargoyles and he died when they were at 3/4ths health and I managed to finish the job with my lightning enchanted Zweihander (and they must be resistant to lightning or something because I was barely doing any damage). Just barely managed a win. This is NG+ and that's actually the first time I felt that huge swell of accomplishment so synonymous with these games. Amazing stuff!

Also, can I just say that Smelter Demon and Mirror Knight should have had their own Covenants? Replace a couple of the less memorable ones. I see so many people rocking the Smelter Armor, including myself.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Are poison infusions viable in PvP? Poison katanas and whatnot.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Unless the person is carrying a ton of poison heals or wearing the poisonbite ring (which isn't likely for either) it's free easy and pretty quick damage.

Cheers, all. Poison infused Manslayer sounds nice. I'm a sucker for stacking damage.

Time to do some Mad Warrior cosplay!

nah, just use bat staff and dark fog, instant poison, that way your weapons can still do damage and you can be annoying as fuck with instant poison as well.

Booshka, pls. I have a modicum of self-respect (except for when I resort to the Monastery Scimitar and BS parries).

Finalow

Yup, avelyn builds are not particularly difficult to fight. You can do the monastery scimitar with ascetics. It's quite OP actually, 9 out of 10 players I've run into have it equipped.
WoG has its uses under certain conditions, but mostly related to invasions and not duels. With high AGL you can safely time a roll through it for a backstab too.

edit: useful things to collect in NG with asectics if you're gonna stay there for PvP:
Gower's ring
clear bluestone +2
southern ritual +2
monastery scimitar
NG+ boss souls
the only time I've seen WoG used effectively in invasions is when you parry and instead of finishing the animation you use WoG. on the right build you could do more than 2k damage. (more than the usual parry) it was probably before the nerf though.

and wow not sure how I never noticed Gower's Ring, it looks pretty legit. also This ring gives you the visual effect of a ghost clinging on your back. seems a cool effect.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have really warmed up to this game. The consistency of the game is a welcome change from DS1 and rolling is just as fun once you get some points into adp.

I spent all day today helping Sun Bros beat Smelter, Chariot and Old King.

How do you consistently get summoned for the Belfries though? I get invaded so fast that I have no chance at putting my sign down and there usually isn't any signs down to summon either.

AngryMoth

I have really warmed up to this game. The consistency of the game is a welcome change from DS1 and rolling is just as fun once you get some points into adp.

I spent all day today helping Sun Bros beat Smelter, Chariot and Old King.

How do you consistently get summoned for the Belfries though? I get invaded so fast that I have no chance at putting my sign down and there usually isn't any signs down to summon either.
You must have the patience of a saint :p

Best thing I can think of for belfry is to run in, put your sign down then run back out so you don't get invaded.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You must have the patience of a saint :p

Best thing I can think of for belfry is to run in, put your sign down then run back out so you don't get invaded.

Every single person I helped with Chariot today (maybe five) knew what to do and stayed alive. Only one person out of around 6 died on Smelter.

AngryMoth

Every single person I helped with Chariot today (maybe five) knew what to do and stayed alive. Only one person out of around 6 died on Smelter.
Really! I guess most people know what they're doing these days then, hardly anyone survived smelter when I was sunbroing.

maomaoIYP

I've been winning a good amount of my blood covenant duels lately (big thanks to everyone who spams curved sword parries on un-parryable R2 attacks) and I'm still rank 0. The ranking system is dumb in that covenant.
I did mine with an infinite stunlock build. I had long stretches of victories and even then I had to win approximately 250 matches. (To reach level 2)

the only time I've seen WoG used effectively in invasions is when you parry and instead of finishing the animation you use WoG. on the right build you could do more than 2k damage. (more than the usual parry) it was probably before the nerf though.
Cast great heal once to show that you can heal.
Once you need to heal again, run away, make sure the host is following you. Cast WoG behind a wall.

Add me to the platinum club because I finally platinum'd Dark Souls 2!

Big pain though since the "Master of Sorcery" trophy didn't unlock the first time, so I had to gather every single sorcery all over again on my 3rd character. Nevertheless it feels good to be finished.

maomaoIYP

Big pain though since the "Master of Sorcery" trophy didn't unlock the first time, so I had to gather every single sorcery all over again on my 3rd character. Nevertheless it feels good to be finished.

Holy crap that was QUICK! Anyway congrats!

RedSwirl

So what's going on now?

I just beat Dear Freja.
Was that or was that not a "main" soul? The soul it drops appears to be a normal boss soul, but behind that boss I found a primal bonfire (I avoided fighting Vengarl's body. I wasn't gonna risk 47k souls). Also, I straight-up killed who I presume to have been Lord Tseldora without trying to talk to him or anything. Saw the messages and like seven blood stains in front of him and took no chances. Did I miss any dialogue or anything?

Anyway, was that really the second "main" dude? After reaching Majula EH spoke a new piece of dialogue and a new message appeared saying something like "The Real Fight Begins Now" which has been rated like 21 thousand times. Furthermore, the third flame appeared on the map in the house basement.

The only other primal bonfire I found was the one behind the Lost Sinner. I haven't been down the pit or turned the rotunda yet.

Is this like a halfway point or something?

Riposte

The start was kind of slow, but this game is better than what people have been saying. I'd say it is an overall improvement over Dark Souls (though not as much as Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls). I think covenants are so much better this time around. On the other hand, I just reached what I assume is the endgame and I'm a little burned out from playing so much.

So what's going on now?

I just beat Dear Freja.
Was that or was that not a "main" soul? The soul it drops appears to be a normal boss soul, but behind that boss I found a primal bonfire (I avoided fighting Vengarl's body. I wasn't gonna risk 47k souls). Also, I straight-up killed who I presume to have been Lord Tseldora without trying to talk to him or anything. Saw the messages and like seven blood stains in front of him and took no chances. Did I miss any dialogue or anything?

Anyway, was that really the second "main" dude? After reaching Majula EH spoke a new piece of dialogue and a new message appeared saying something like "The Real Fight Begins Now" which has been rated like 21 thousand times. Furthermore, the third flame appeared on the map in the house basement.

The only other primal bonfire I found was the one behind the Lost Sinner. I haven't been down the pit or turned the rotunda yet.

Is this like a halfway point or something?

Halfway? No, maybe a quarter.

Freja Soul is different. Read the item description of all relevant loot from the area and it should become clear.

Big pain though since the "Master of Sorcery" trophy didn't unlock the first time,so I had to gather every single sorcery all over again on my 3rd character. Nevertheless it feels good to be finished.

Congrats, but if that happens to me I quit Dark Souls 2. I already had a couple achievements not unlock on my first playthrough (I.e. Defeat Looking Glas Knight). If I don't get the spells achievment on first try I may hurt a kitten.
not really. :p

SharkJAW

So, I just finished a no death run, and am planning to use that same character for a no bonfire run on NG+, is there a particular weapon that you guys recommend? I was thinking something along the lines of the BKH or continuing to be a hexer and using GRS (but I feel 9 casts won't be enough).

So, I just finished a no death run, and am planning to use that same character for a no bonfire run on NG+, is there a particular weapon that you guys recommend? I was thinking something along the lines of the BKH or continuing to be a hexer and using GRS (but I feel 9 casts won't be enough).

Usually no bonfire runs amount to running through the area and only fighting bosses so that should be ok. Maybe stock up on herbs and Rouge water for spell uses.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Which then you are among ranks no?
What do you mean? I meant that reserve that for those who rush me while I bow in summoned duels (not invasions) or those hosts who use Estus vs a summoned red. These people are invariably scrubs and deserve to eat a machine gun to the face.

I mean, technically, Vendrick is kind of easy; simple dodging and strafing. If you get greedy, though, he'll punish you; much like that time he squished the life out of me as a I was casting what should have been the winning Great Lightning Spear.

Seeing his animation wind up faster than expected and knowing that my cast wouldn't finish in time... It was a classic Souls slap in the face - humbling and aggravating.
I had that happen to me on my str build, lol. Got greedy with that last club hit, and when he killed me I went "why, why, why did I get greedy?". Number one rule of all Souls games is "don't get greedy" and I know this and I still broke it. >_< Welp.

Strength bets dex yet again lol.
"Again"? Dex was strong in the past games. It was the strongest PvP build in Demon's Souls.

zkylon

zkylewd
so, didn't join the
dark
covenant first chance i got and now i can't find the covenant "giver" in
drangleic castle
. should i look on the other spots i talked to him at?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think you get greedy in a Souls game sometimes due to the audacity of the bird versus the elephant. The enemy is so big, often lumbering and slow. But they can abruptly react with surprising speed. And it seems a Souls trademark that enemies with OHK moves have surprising reach and angle coverage.

That got me with Vendrick the first five times. I finally managed to stay ice cold and ready for him to suddenly get violent or begin jumping around constantly.

Top Bottom