• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

so, didn't join the
dark
covenant first chance i got and now i can't find the covenant "giver" in
drangleic castle
. should i look on the other spots i talked to him at?

As in he's not in the spot where he should be or you can't remember where to find him
room with the stone soldiers, back right room you can open if you kill one near its door

Wolff

So, is there a good shield to defend against dark buff attacks or should i just infuse my drangleic shield?

Has anyone posted this yet? lol
tumblr_n5rv0ti7Vq1rg3vrmo1_400.jpg

I find them all the goddamn time. Really accurate stuff there. lol

Booshka

So, is there a good shield to defend against dark buff attacks or should i just infuse my drangleic shield?

I find them all the goddamn time. Really accurate stuff there. lol
Dark infused Transgressor's Leather Shield has 100 percent Dark resist.

zkylon

zkylewd
As in he's not in the spot where he should be or you can't remember where to find him
room with the stone soldiers, back right room you can open if you kill one near its door
he's not there, the altar room thingie is just empty (you know, the altair's there but not him or the chair)

can't find him in his
shaded woods spot
either

i'm gonna check on the last place but i dunno

he's not there, the altar room thingie is just empty (you know, the altair's there but not him or the chair)

can't find him in his
shaded woods spot
either

i'm gonna check on the last place but i dunno

Maybe you accidentally killed him? Check with the Pardoner.

onionfrog

Made some progress with my soul level 1 run today.

I've got two great lord souls (
Lost Sinner
and
Old Iron King
), and made it through the shaded woods and beat Najka.

So far the most annoying thing about the run has been that shitty 6 ADP roll. I died way too many times to the old iron king when I shouldn't have.

I skipped smelter demon for now, since the prospect of fighting him at SL1 is not appealing. I'd like to beat him sometime during this run though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He should always be present at all 3 locations.
I think I had the same issue as Kai on one of my characters, forgot which. I met him in all three places but didn't join the covenant right away. Came back later to do that side-quest and decided I'd do the Black Gulch portal first, since it's the most annoying to reach :p (and to do, as well, with those turtles and pyros) and wanted to get it out of the way, but Ingward Grandahl wasn't there. I was pretty mad. :p I went to Drangleic and he was there, did that dungeon, came back to the Black Gulch and there he was. Weird shit.

I think you get greedy in a Souls game sometimes due to the audacity of the bird versus the elephant. The enemy is so big, often lumbering and slow. But they can abruptly react with surprising speed. And it seems a Souls trademark that enemies with OHK moves have surprising reach and angle coverage.
True. And sometimes getting greedy does work. You can, sometimes, get that last one hit by using what's left of your stamina to finish off the monster (which you wouldn't do in the middle of the fight because that'd leave you too exposed or whatever) and it works. But when it doesn't, when that sliver of HP the boss had is not as small as you calculated and you needed an extra hit after all, oh boy, does the game love to punish you. :D

True. And sometimes getting greedy does work. You can, sometimes, get that last one hit by using what's left of your stamina to finish off the monster (which you wouldn't do in the middle of the fight because that'd leave you too exposed or whatever) and it works. But when it doesn't, when that sliver of HP the boss had is not as small as you calculated and you needed an extra hit after all, oh boy, does the game love to punish you. :D

Haha. That's exactly it, though. It's as if the game starts to subtly fudge things when its circumstances get dire, i.e. when you only need one goddamn hit to end it.

When I fired up that GLS, victory only a throw away, I could have sworn that it was after a flurry of swings of his that - every other bloody time in the fight, anyway - gave me a good 2-3 seconds of breathing room... Forget about it, bra. 99 Endurance/Agility Vendrick turned on a dime and came at me like it was the last thing he would do in that shithole Crypt.

Really, there are no excuses. That happened after a cumulative 300-350 hours experience across the entire Souls library. It's a testament to the game, if anything; and to how much Greed can make you its bitch.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok, i think i'm done with most of the ng stuff. i feel like this made me super overleveled (i'm sl 148) but really had no better thing to spend my souls on

gathering of exiles achievement i guess doesn't work after
you kill licia, right? i just managed to convince the mage dude at no man's warf to come to majula but seems like it's too late

TnK

Damn, that's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

Also, hot tip! Thanks.

There's a way to
drain the poison from the arena.

Before I did that I would get super close to beating it. It was one of the more frustrating fights because of it. Then I put my sign down after losing and then i saw THE TRUTH. And then I looked around.
Do I do that in the fight, or before the fight?

Jaeger

My cousin and I were going around as Throne Watcher (me) and Throne Defender. It was awesome. With weapons/shields, and all armor pieces to match fully maxed out.

I need to set up a way to record this.

maomaoIYP

My cousin and I were going around as Throne Watcher (me) and Throne Defender. It was awesome. With weapons/shields, and all armor pieces to match fully maxed out.

You guys should get a all boss cosplay session going.
The host, a white, a blue and a red.
Watcher, defender, veldstat, vendrick.

UrbanRats

Just trying out my second roll, a str+fth build.

Smelter
+ gyrm shield + GLS + Lucatiel's aggroing (for her quest) = lol.

Other than that, i'm finding it pretty boring.. either i spam the GLS and kill almost anything, or don't and artificially gimp my self, and just play as a str build, which was my last one.
Seems like Sorcerers have more interesting shit to play with, plus a poison/dex build seem like it would be fun to try.

RedSwirl

I think I've made serious mistakes with my choice of route through the game. One reason is that regular stage-one Titanite seems to be the rarest goddamn thing in the game.

I have a shitload of almost every other kind of Titanite: large shards, chunks, I think I even got a couple slabs, but I can't use any of it because I don't have any small Titanite for the initial reinforcements.

I know there's an NPC who's supposed to sell Titanite, but 35 hours and 110 soul levels in and I haven't encountered her yet.

Whatever. I'm in the middle of The Gutter right now and I think I'm tired of every Souls game having a Blighttown-esque area (Demon's Souls had Valley of Defilement). It's like they're all designed to be annoying. What's worse is that The Gutter has been basically worthless so far in terms of souls. The enemies don't drop many souls but can still down me in a couple direct hits. Plus, I've died so often here that the enemies are beginning to go extinct and I haven't had an opportunity to spend any of the souls I've gotten here.

It feels like I did areas like the Shaded Woods, Tsledora, and The Gutter far earlier than I should have.

So I'm stuck in Drangleic Castle. Can someone give me a vague hint? I've gotten this far in the game without consulting a guide once, and would like to continue doing so if possible.

I am at
the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle, near the room with the sentinels. I've killed all the sentinels and stone guards in that room. I fell down the hole where the wheelchair guy was, but didn't find anything but armor and the bonfire. Upstairs, there was what looked like the throne room, but it was empty. I can't open the door that tells me to "Produce the Symbol of the King". (I'm guessing I'll get a ring or something later that will let me in.)

Two of the doors in the sentinels room didn't open, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something there.

A vague hint would be appreciated, since I'm trying to do most of this without help. If someone can let me know which direction I should go to keep investigating, that would be great.

maomaoIYP

So I'm stuck in Drangleic Castle. Can someone give me a vague hint? I've gotten this far in the game without consulting a guide once, and would like to continue doing so if possible.

I am at
the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle, near the room with the sentinels. I've killed all the sentinels and stone guards in that room. I fell down the hole where the wheelchair guy was, but didn't find anything but armor and the bonfire. Upstairs, there was what looked like the throne room, but it was empty. I can't open the door that tells me to "Produce the Symbol of the King". (I'm guessing I'll get a ring or something later that will let me in.)

Two of the doors in the sentinels room didn't open, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something there.

A vague hint would be appreciated, since I'm trying to do most of this without help. If someone can let me know which direction I should go to keep investigating, that would be great.

Notice how the doors which opened, opened?
They got lit up by something blue before opening?
Just like the 2 golems in the room?

Notice how the doors which opened, opened?
They got lit up by something blue before opening?
Just like the 2 golems in the room?

Hm, thanks. I did notice the 2 golems, but couldn't figure out what to do with them. I tried to light their torches, but no good. Anyway, that helps me know I should be in that room, so thanks!

elfinke

Dark Souls 2 Character Planner

It's not 100% perfect, but for a bit of theory crafting during your lunch break at work (or procrastinating during insufferable meeting), it's great. I've been toying around with it, comparing different SL125 builds. You can't quite have your cake and eat it too at SL125. Once you're at 150 and above it all becomes a bit moot, so I hope the engineers at FROM are working on something. Perhaps Soul Memory ought to have been tied to equipment, and not characters, I dunno, haven't thought about it much.

I find most of my problem with deciding on a particular build is that I actually don't know what kind of Souls' player I am! One day I like smashing things with minimal finesse, other days pew-pew is more my style and yet others still I wish I was a dual-wielding D'artagnan. Most success I've had at SL125 was with a high INT+MLGS build (post-MLGS nerf), invading and summoning at Dragon Aerie she was pretty brutal in NG.

maomaoIYP

Hm, thanks. I did notice the 2 golems, but couldn't figure out what to do with them. I tried to light their torches, but no good. Anyway, that helps me know I should be in that room, so thanks!

The only way to tell you more would be to actually give you the answer, so I think you should be able to figure it out!

The only way to tell you more would be to actually give you the answer, so I think you should be able to figure it out!

Ah-hah!
I just happened to kill an enemy near the golem at the end. Didn't realize that the enemy had to die near the golem/door for it to activate.
Thanks for the help! It was enough to point me in the right direction, but didn't spoil anything.

So I tried to start a new character to get away from 15 million soul memory and all I get after selecting "new game" is a black screen :(

Neither of the two unofficial fixes have worked, this is really bumming me out.

Firebrand

Has anyone had any luck with the Blue Sentinels? I've been in it for quite some time on two characters, and I've been summoned a grand total of once... and the host died the moment I connected. Don't have much luck with the orbs either, "Unable to find a world to invade" repeatedly. Shame, a neat idea. Could at least make the thing work with the belfry areas.

Mistel

Banned
Has anyone had any luck with the Blue Sentinels? I've been in it for quite some time on two characters, and I've been summoned a grand total of once... and the host died the moment I connected. Don't have much luck with the orbs either, "Unable to find a world to invade" repeatedly. Shame, a neat idea. Could at least make the thing work with the belfry areas.
Your experience is pretty much reflective of mine I saved a host or two but that's all really. My blue cracked eye orbs don't really have much luck at all.

elfinke

I had bugger all luck with it, even in NG+. It's a missed opportunity for sure, that it doesn't interface more directly with Bell/Ratassholes. I feel like FROM were so close to getting covenants perfect, but for whatever reason, stopped short. I'd like to see lore written to include warring covenants for proper PvP - even to include NPCs who host tournaments similar to those you occasionally are summoned into at Iron Keep. They're at that precipice now with red and blue, rat and bell, sun, but didn't take that next step.

A real missed opportunity. Next gen, maybe :D

maomaoIYP

I have level 2 in blue sentinels on NG+ at max tier SM. A vast majority of players sit at over SL 210, which puts them at the max tier, so higher chances for it to work.
Invading using the blue orb works differently from the red. Using the orb doesn't guarantee you will invade in the area that you used it in, but only a higher chance. You don't get souls for killing hosts, but you can get souls from killing assisting phantoms. If the hosts uses the seed, you will still be attacked by monsters.
Losing as a bluebro doesn't count against you, so all you need are to count kills. I counted mine by dropped a prism stone after every kill.
Places where I like invading: dragon aerie, tower of flame 1st bonfire, undead crypt 2nd bonfire. All these areas have a safe spot to duel if you get invaded yourself.

So I tried to start a new character to get away from 15 million soul memory and all I get after selecting "new game" is a black screen :(

Neither of the two unofficial fixes have worked, this is really bumming me out.

Well, I fixed this. I had to uninstall all of my carefully tweaked Media Player Classic stuff and install the K-Lite Codec Pack. Finally it played the fucking intro cutscene and I could actually start a new game.

It's absolutely NOT MPC and it's codecs that's the problem though, as my installation of MPC has been unchanged since before Dark Souls 2 came out on PC. I reckon a Windows update screwed something up along the line.

NEO0MJ

I enjoy playing as the Mirror Knight. I almost fully maxed the armor, but haven't upgraded his shield yet. Maybe I should start a new game so I can build an entire build dedicated to him with as low a soul memory level as possible. I wish I could try doing this for Vendrick but the Ruler's Sword requirement will make it really difficult to play, and I have no plan to mess up the build with King's Ultra Greatsword.

Oreoleo

What is that shitty move people are doing to break my guard through shield even though I have full stamina and they aren't two-handing? Makes me stagger as though my stamina is depleted even though it isn't. Very frustrating.

Mistel

Banned
What is that shitty move people are doing to break my guard through shield even though I have full stamina and they aren't two-handing? Makes me stagger as though my stamina is depleted even though it isn't. Very frustrating.
Some weapons have shield piercing strong attacks that could be it.

Soulhouf

forward + R1/L1 = instant guard break no matter how much stamina you have. You need to be careful when using shields in this game.

Totally Original and amazing Havelyn Build

High level, and high skill Dark Souls 2 PvP.

Wait. Ruler Sword+10?

GorillaJu

I knew that being careless with my souls would cause a problem later on down the line. I thought that soul memory was calculated based on souls spent, not souls gathered. I've been extremely careless about picking up my souls if I die with less than say 25k or 50k on my body. And now I'm 2.6m soul memory and only soul level 140. :lol

The consequences of playing blind, I suppose.

UrbanRats

forward + R1/L1 = instant guard break no matter how much stamina you have. You need to be careful when using shields in this game.

Didn't the kick in DkS and DeS did same thing? Or maybe it wasn't automatic, and depended on Stamina? I know now they added the front stab.

Got my Pursuer sword up to +5 and this thing is pretty boss. Still adjusting to the moveset though. Aldia's Keep is a pretty solid place to farm Dragon Bones I found. Killing the priests caused them to drop one more times than not.

Isn't the "DON'T YOU DARE"'s offline/From written? I didn't see rank ups for those.

I didn't see any when I ran through. Maybe I was too fast before they 'loaded'. Oh well.

Top Bottom