• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oy. Dragon's area = no summon signs.

But if I put mine down = summoned. WTF, community. At least put your sign down even if human.

Has anyone posted this yet? lol
tumblr_n5rv0ti7Vq1rg3vrmo1_400.jpg

maomaoIYP

iirc monastery scimitar is also ng+ only? I heard that it's pretty op but I still haven't tried it. does it work without that much dex? Besides from that what can you get in ng+ only without ascetics?
what I meant is that you can get rings with ascetics or just go ng+ to get them but it doesn't change much if it's only about that ^ and people who grind WoG. (which is quite ineffective in duels)

Yup, avelyn builds are not particularly difficult to fight. You can do the monastery scimitar with ascetics. It's quite OP actually, 9 out of 10 players I've run into have it equipped.
WoG has its uses under certain conditions, but mostly related to invasions and not duels. With high AGL you can safely time a roll through it for a backstab too.

edit: useful things to collect in NG with asectics if you're gonna stay there for PvP:
Gower's ring
clear bluestone +2
southern ritual +2
monastery scimitar
NG+ boss souls

If I've done goofed on both Lucatiles and Benharts quest lines (I've talked to them, but some bosses I killed before I knew they had to be involved), can I use an ascetic to respawn the boss, summon them, and it still counts towards their quest line?
Ex: I've spoken to Lucatile everywhere, but I've only had her for 2 fights... and all 4 bosses are dead. Could I ascetic Rotten, summon her, and still finish her quest?
Or I'm out of luck until NG+?

Same with Benhart,
I didn't know he had to be there for Jeigh, I thought only Drummond could be summoned.

If you want a slightly better chance against a Monastery Scimitar user then just two-hand an ultra greatsword. The R1 and R2s while two-handing can't be parried.

I think I'll make a new character tomorrow to escape from this crazy soul memory nonsense.

Mistel

Banned
If I've done goofed on both Lucatiles and Benharts quest lines (I've talked to them, but some bosses I killed before I knew they had to be involved), can I use an ascetic to respawn the boss, summon them, and it still counts towards their quest line?
You should be able to ascetic and summon them again for the fights to complete their quests.

Yup, avelyn builds are not particularly difficult to fight. You can do the monastery scimitar with ascetics. It's quite OP actually, 9 out of 10 players I've run into have it equipped.
Insta parrying will do that to a weapon make it difficult most will gather to that which removes said difficulty.

maomaoIYP

I don't understand why there are players in the max tier SM who still bother to dashboard with every invasion especially since equipping a ring of protection is a painless affair.

TheSeks

Well, that wasn't so bad. Now to get to the top of the air-castle. Oh boy. D:

Soulhouf

Early game Forest of the Fallen Giants is now similar to Undead Parish in the first game when it comes to twinked invaders.
Add that to SM and you obtain a completely broken game in matchmaking, much much worse than DkS1 in that regard.

All the new characters I created were invaded by presumably hackers. The last one I had 0 SM and the second I set my foot into FotFG I was invaded by a player with a full black dragon armor <- he didn't even show up in the list of people I played with so I couldn't black list him (PS3).
Remaining Hollow doesn't prevent being invaded. GG From Soft for all these dumb ideas. They wanted to fix a minor problem and here is the result. They made it an order of magnitude worse *looks skyward*.

BadWolf

So how much ADP I want?

I have 20 now, it's worth keep leveling it more?

This was posted by vageta31 on gamefaqs forums:

So I decided to finally stop being lazy and do some actual hard number data on the correlation between agility and iFrame counts. I will probably put this into a video at some point, but for now here is a bit of data. FYI I did this on PC but knocked my FPS down to 30 so that the frame count would cover all platforms. I also double checked at 60 fps to verify there weren't any strange rounding errors, and it was identical.

AGI - iFrames
85 - 8
90 - 9
95 - 10
100 - 12
105 - 13
110 - 13
115 - 15
120 - 16

For reference, here are the numbers I got from Dks 1 awhile back.

Slow Roll - 9
Medium Roll - 11
Fast Roll - 13
DWGR - 15

So in a nutshell, 120 agi is superior to DWGR in regards to iFrames, though the flip still had faster recovery for unadulterated spammage. 105 agi is equivalent to the fast roll and unless you're willing to go to 115 for the extra 2 iFrames, it's not worth it. I didn't test at 1 increment steps, but I'm quite sure somewhere between 110 and 115 would give you 14 iFrames, but again it's a steep cost for little gain. 85 agi is actually 1 iFrame less than fat roll, while 100 agi is 1 iFrame more than medium roll.

As you can see, the scaling is not linear. I went back and verified the 100 agi number more than once, and it is correct. Either the scaling is purposely flattened in that area to provide a good break point, or it's some sort of bug.

How did I test this? The same way I did in Dks 1, using a long duration AOE attack so that I could easily see at what point in the roll I became vulnerable. In Dks 1 I used the 4 Kings AOE because the hit box was longer than even the DWGR, ;IE impossible to roll through. In Dks 2 I used Licia's WoG which again is longer than even the highest iFrame count possible. Even on an absolute perfectly timed roll, meaning the first frame of my roll coincided with the first frame of her WoG becoming active, it still hit me at the end. They may have nerfed player WoG's, but Licia's is running at full tilt. What's strange is the light from the WoG ended long before my iFrames ran out, but there was this massive lingering phantom hit box afterwards. You could probably roll away from it if you were naked and not directly in front of her, otherwise you're toast.

Take from this what you will, I thought I'd finally get around to ending any speculation and just giving some hard data numbers. I'd like to get around to making an actual video explaining it all and showing how I validated these numbers, but it's going to take some time to do it right.

Early game Forest of the Fallen Giants is now similar to Undead Parish in the first game when it comes to twinked invaders.
Add that to SM and you obtain a completely broken game in matchmaking, much much worse than DkS1 in that regard.

All the new characters I created were invaded by presumably hackers. The last one I had 0 SM and the second I set my foot into FotFG I was invaded by a player with a full black dragon armor <- he didn't even show up in the list of people I played with so I couldn't black list him (PS3).
Remaining Hollow doesn't prevent being invaded. GG From Soft for all these dumb ideas. They wanted to fix a minor problem and here is the result. They made it an order of magnitude worse *looks skyward*.

Not sure about that, DaS 1 was too hacked to death, the only change is you can be invaded as hollow, which makes it more annoying.

I've been playing the PC version and didn't had a single hacker invader. I guess PC version using VAC kinda works.

This was posted by vageta31 on gamefaqs forums:

Cool, I think I have like 100 right now, I'll aim to 105.

I just got the King's Ring and I opened the door in the land of giants. There was a giant that when examined did nothing. There was a Twinkling Titanite, is that all this was for, am I missing something?

Buh, buh, buh!... Soul memory fixes early game invaders, it's the answer to all our prayers!

I swear this is my last SM gripe post, I swear!

Don't farm Roenna for it farm Prowling magus in shrine of amana using ascetics.
I forgot about that dude, I'm going to do this now as I already burnt two ascetics on Roenna the other day.

TheSeks

Got the Ashen Mist Heart. Yay final three areas to unlock (besides a Convent sidequest into the voids). Boo having to fight this dude for his soul for spells/weapons? D:

Buh, buh, buh!... Soul memory fixes early game invaders, it's the answer to all our prayers!

In theory it should. In practice, people can decrease their SM with fuckery or simply "run straight through" areas, get the gear they want and then go back to FotG to troll. Harder to do, so I'd go with "hacking fucks" for 90% of them.

Mistel

Banned
I just got the King's Ring and I opened the door in the land of giants. There was a giant that when examined did nothing. There was a Twinkling Titanite, is that all this was for, am I missing something?
Need the ashen heart mist to go into the memories. Go through the door in shaded woods.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Farming shrine of amana is fun now! I start at Rhoy's bonfire and throw down my sign to help people with the last part before the boss and wear full item discovery and soul farm gear (prisoner's tatters, dragon Parma, jester helm, gold serpent +2, silver serpent +2, tseldora pants, jester gloves) so I can get twinkling titanite and human effigies and tons of souls from the enemies. My soapstone also acts as a spidey-sense, as I get a notification "your summon sign has disappeared" about a minute before I get invaded, giving me time to equip my PVP gear and get ready.

On top of all that, I've maxed every covenant except Bloods and Sentinels, so I'm back in Acolytes of Blue so that whenever I get invaded I get a friend to help kill the invader =). So much fun when the hunter becomes the prey, lmao.

Also I used a seed of giants and it persisted even when I rested at a bonfire in the Shrine. It stayed until I travelled to another area. So you can imagine how much fun it was seeing a red run off into a crowd for safety and get owned.

Yes Shrine is turning into one of my favorite places now.

TheSeks

Wait, is there a point to these memories besides exploring them for items? Orro's is basically empty besides the NPC questline. :/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait, is there a point to these memories besides exploring them for items? Orro's is basically empty besides the NPC questline. :/

No, some loot and a Soul of a Giant, which
buffs your damage for the Vedrick fight.

Soulhouf

Not sure about that, DaS 1 was too hacked to death, the only change is you can be invaded as hollow, which makes it more annoying.

I've been playing the PC version and didn't had a single hacker invader. I guess PC version using VAC kinda works.

In DkS1 at least in the early areas you could stay hollow and avoid being invaded that way.
In the later parts of the game, you have full control on what you're doing. Generally you already completed your build and you don't go beyond SL120. The only cases where you are matchmaked with much higher players is when you invade (or if you are a sinner). You know what you're doing at this point and it's not hard to beat maxed out characters. In DS2 going very high level really changes many things making matchmaking completely fucked up.

It's the addition of all these factors in DS2 that makes things worse (hollow invasions, soul memory, OP high level aspects and hackers). The game is broken from the beginning and only gets worse as you progress and go to NG+ and beyond.
They wanted to fix a minor problem and they partially succeeded only to create more serious issues.

In DkS1 at least in the early areas you could stay hollow and avoid being invaded that way.
In the later parts of the game, you have full control on what you're doing. Generally you already completed your build and you don't go beyond SL120. The only cases where you are matchmaked with much higher players is when you invade (or if you are a sinner). You know what you're doing at this point and it's not hard to beat maxed out characters. In DS2 going very high level really changes many things making matchmaking completely fucked up.

It's the addition of all these factors in DS2 that makes things worse (hollow invasions, soul memory, OP high level aspects and hackers). The game is broken from the beginning and only gets worse as you progress and go to NG+ and beyond.
They wanted to fix a minor problem and they partially succeeded only to create more serious issues.

Going hollow in DS 1 means no multiplayer (no invasions, no cooperation...) though, is not much different than going offline, except you get messages, yay! I guess. :/. Dosn't seem a minor problem, when you're forcing a great number of players to not experience a great part of the soul series.

At least at NG I can safely play human and enjoy the cooperation experience without worrying about constantly being invaded ( and no hackers sofar on PC) by people that don't necesarly had to be hackers, just players that exploited the fact you can remain reasonably low leveled and have high level equipment if you know the game well enough.

Also now the Ring of Life Protection can be repaired for an, almost, effortless amount of souls. Not saying SM dosn't have it share of problems, some of the very bad, and things like the bell and rat covenants are pretty poorly implemented ideas, but I think the whole multiplayer experience is much better. (not counting lag here...)

AngryMoth

I'm slightly bluer yay. Not that I need tokens fidelity to duel and the cracked blue eyes orbs don't offer you anything. And the way of the blue summon mechanic doesn't work at all.
I wasn't serious :p. I've actually been encountering way of blue summons a fair bit recently.

Soulhouf

Going hollow in DS 1 means no multiplayer (no invasions, no cooperation...) though, is not much different than going offline, except you get messages, yay! I guess. :/. Dosn't seem a minor problem, when you're forcing a great number of players to not experience a great part of the soul series.

At least at NG I can safely play human and enjoy the cooperation experience without worrying about constantly being invaded ( and no hackers sofar on PC) by people that don't necesarly had to be hackers, just players that exploited the fact you can remain reasonably low leveled and have high level equipment if you know the game well enough.

Also now the Ring of Life Protection can be repaired for an, almost, effortless amount of souls. Not saying SM dosn't have it share of problems, some of the very bad, and things like the bell and rat covenants are pretty poorly implemented ideas, but I think the whole multiplayer experience is much better. (not counting lag here...)

I don't see that as an issue since you can still lay down your SS and do multiplayer when hollow. You avoid twinked invaders but can still do multiplayer. It's not really penalizing since you get free practice against bosses you have trouble with and you become better at the game.
In DSII the only way to avoid that is going offline. There are still ways such as lay down your SS just before the boss fog door and stay in the boss room but that means you already cleared the level. This is really a poor level design IMO.

Other than that I agree with you.
Now this is your fault. I didn't know the PC version doesn't have hackers yet. I'm starting to consider getting it but I don't have a PC.

Not really unless you have a penchant for what they give you. They are all rather lackluster other than champions I think.

Fair enough.
I'm disappointed that From didn't put trophies/achievements for maxing these 2 covenants. Imagine the reaction of people who are into that sort of things, it would be hilarious to watch.

Riposte

Looks like no one answered me, so I'll ask it like this:

At what point should I have around 1 million soul memory? During NG?

Mistel

Banned
I wasn't serious :p. I've actually been encountering way of blue summons a fair bit recently.
I've been part of a gank squad and that's all the action I had.

Looks like no one answered me, so I'll ask it like this:

At what point should I have around 1 million soul memory? During NG?
Far before that unless you want to end up like poor Finalow. You can have it mid way into the first play through to open the shrine of winter.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I do think it sucks that you can still be invaded while Hollow. And that you can't summon anyone. Like, way to stack the decks further against an already worse situation. Personally, I'd rather no be able to be invaded while Hollow. I have a ton of effigies anyway, anyone who's decent at the game and completed it before will, so they're a non-issue. But on NG+, even if I'm just trying to make progress in the game, I will get invaded constantly. Shrine of Amana was a real fuckin' hassle on NG+, let me tell you.

AngryMoth

Huh, I figured sacred oath would give some kind of godlike buff seeing as how it takes up a whopping 4 slots. According to the wiki it's a 50 bonus to physical attack and a 75 bonus to physical defence which sounds pretty underwhelming.

Huh, I figured sacred oath would give some kind of godlike buff seeing as how it takes up a whopping 4 slots. According to the wiki it's a 50 bonus to physical attack and a 75 bonus to physical defence which sounds pretty underwhelming.

I think 4 slots is overkill, but that is an awesome bonus. The +50 physical attack is like 2 or 3 weapon upgrades and you can still buff the weapon with elementals on top of it. It's worth noting the buff also effects allies if doing COOP. The +75 defense is gravy. I'm using it fairly extensively with my lightning Defender Greatsword (built in Sunblade buff) and the thing hits really hard with a decent moveset. Use a southern ritual band +2 for bonus slots to take edge off the requirements.

AngryMoth

I think 4 slots is overkill, but that is an awesome bonus. The +50 physical attack is like 2 or 3 weapon upgrades and you can still buff the weapon with elementals on top of it. It's worth noting the buff also effects allies if doing COOP. The +75 defense is gravy.
I'll try it out, I was just expecting better consider how strong GMB is and that only takes 1 slot. 50 physical doesn't sound much since my attack rating is already 600, I guess it would be a lot better if you're using a dagger or something.

Top Bottom