• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

maomaoIYP

to be fair, in ng+ you get a lot of better stuff (mostly rings) so a lot of people just go there for pvp as well. WoG is kind of boring and long to get in ng+, also you can get dual avelyns and stuff like that even
You can't get dual avelyns in Ng because steel crates don't respawn with an ascetic. As for the rings, just use ascetics. So pvp in Ng arenas has way less OP stuff than Ng+.

Mistel

Banned
Oh forgot that there is that range caclulator + tiers on the wiki. that's the tier I'm in but the calculator says that I'm range with 1.2kk to 2.1kk more or less.

the only thing I can do is grind and go on but there surely are people that still have no problems to play online and got a similar if not less SM in ng+.
Well there might be but there's no way to tell if you aren't alone in your areas with respect to co-op range.

It might be a fools errand but have you tried opening these:
Dark Souls II server TCP/UDP ports:
TCP: 50000 - 50100
UDP: 50000 - 50100

For you at 1.7million your range is 1,500,000 - 1,749,999 off the top of my head. I assume everyone brought as much as they could afford and finished all optional content as possible before moving on to NG+. I'd expect an rather generous approximate range of 2M to 5M for NG+.

Now you with 1.7 million are only 700K over the requirement to bypass the 4 great ones in the first playthrough which is a very small amount. I can't think of a way to power level yourself without being summoned other than soul collection gear even still that would take a long time to reach the range of the majority.

Reason #43598724 why SM is terrible

So what level are you guys? I just went through all of ng+ at 150.

I just got the King Ring in NG and i'm at 102 I think.

Firebrand

Tried the bellend covenant, kinda fun but so dumb that they summon two phantoms at once. They ought to either limit it to one at a time or fix summoning in those areas. If I'm the second phantom I hang back and let them 1v1 it, but I'd never expect anyone to show that courtesy towards me, hah.

Double caestuses working surprisingly well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sweep the leg.

Okay, John Kreese. But first I still have the other Belfry and the Dragons to do.

Speaking of which: Barely any summons to grab for myself at 2.1mil SM still in NG. Oy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn, Vendricks huge. You're telling me I have to fight that!?
You're gonna have to kill that.

A cookie for whoever gets that reference. xD

You can't get dual avelyns in Ng because steel crates don't respawn with an ascetic. As for the rings, just use ascetics. So pvp in Ng arenas has way less OP stuff than Ng+.
Yes you can... if someone drops it for you. I have a dual wielding Avelyn in NG because of that, hah. (Once again not used in PvP except against the lamest scrubs.)

Farmed the Mad Warrior 30 times and finally got the Hidden Weapon spell. Took only an hour or so since I was following the noises my PS3 made. So glad too as it could've easily taken all night into the next day.

Not sure if this has been posted...

DS2 wiki said:
If you are playing on a PS3 (DOESN'T work on xbox.), when you rest at the bonfire, you can hear the laser in the PS3 move twice. The trick is to keep resting until you hear two slower movements after the first two. These two extra laser movements are indicating that Mad Warrior has spawned.

Seriously, this is completely legit. I recommend anyone who's farming the Mad Warrior on PS3 to use this method.

BadWolf

Just took out
Lost Sinner
in NG+.

The addition of the
pyromancers
felt cheap and was the only difficulty spike for the fight.
Wonder who had the bright idea to give them Fire Tempest and Flame Swathe
. Once taken care of, the rest wasn't a problem. Was a couple of hits away from winning in a prior attempt but failed due to greed :(

spliced

I don't know what happened but my sound was a half second behind, hopefully my PS3 isn't dying.

Seeing lots on new stuff in Black Gulch the second time through. That hunter npc is so bad, for the boss fight I think he's just there for company or possibly as a challenge to see if you can keep him alive til the end. I noticed I could start a fire in the Gulch tar pools with my fire infused dagger which I thought was pretty cool.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
So this is how the Ring of Life Protection works!, I feel a bit let down for not using it earlier.. (I must have lost close to 800K of souls till now)

Everyone use Ring of Life Protection as soon as you get it.

-----
Damn, Vendricks huge. You're telling me I have to fight that!?
Don't worry, he hits like a flower.

But beware of his very first attack (when the fight starts), Vendrick someone connects the very first attack with good accuracy/tracking.

TnK

40 is the strength soft cap. You are barely near the halfway mark of game.
Barely near the halfway mark, and I am 20 hours in. Makes sense if I finish the game in either 35 or 40 hour mark then. If I hit the STR soft cap, does that mean that my damage should be enough for the rest of the game? My Greatsword is at +8.

Starting to enjoy the game a lot more now. It was quite average up until the Bastille, but now it is really picking up. One reason may be is that I REALLY love Ultra Greatswords, and having a blast using them. Mowing enemies down in one or two heavy hits = so guud, and it is really satisfying doing something like this to a lot of enemies:
berserk1.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
beaten ng!

gonna just quote my steam thread thoughts: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112438234&postcount=11836

i'm excited for ng+, i heard it's an entirely different beast compared to dks1

big things remaining on my playthrough, tho, are
killing ancient dragon
dark covenant
and maybe
navlaan quests
. i'll most likely do the second one, dunno about the first since that dungeon is pretty fucking annoying, and the third i think i probably will, dunno what it'll give me but sounds fun.

Discovering that you can repair
rings of life protection
is the best thing ever
well i knew about that but figured it would be annoying so i just stick the ring of the dead on, and never used that for the whole game :p

i kept myself in human form most of the time, thru sunbroing or effigies. green zombie too ugly

Taruranto

NG+ made me appreciate the
Shrine of Amana
more, like, I just realize that the reason the second area is so hard compared to the first
it's because there is no Milf singing in that area, calming the undeads in the water.

TheBear

Just started on PC. Is there any way to custom bind the controller? Don't like using LB for shield. And is there anything amazing about the pre-order kit? Got all this extra stuff I wasn't expecting, don't know if I should hang onto it or sell (?) it.

Okay, so I just gathered all the sorceries a few seconds ago and I still didn't unlock the "Master of Sorcery" trophy. Am I missing something here?

Please don't tell me the game glitched out on me. :(

The PC thread seems to have vanished, so I guess I'll post this here.

So I just beat the game...and...I'm kind of confused.

I'm still not sure about who the Emerald Herald was. Navlaan seemed to imply that she was a Fire Keeper like the old women, but I don't understand her connection to the royal family or the castle of Drangleic, and why she was so invested in seeing the king overthrown or a new undead as monarch.

She wanted someone to "set her free" and the shackles of fate, but free her from what? Was she a messenger of the ancient dragon? She also seemed to follow around your character everywhere. I don't know what she meant by "It was my own manifestation that led you here." Is she one of the old women from the past?

And then we have Nashandra. She seemed to come from a foreign land and tell the king about the impending invasion of the Giants, so I guess she was responsible for the war in some capacity, and also encouraged him to research souls and their power, in turn leading to his own downfall as well. She characterized "the Dark" in some sense, but I don't know who she really was. There was a portrait depicting her as pregnant in Drangleic Castle, but I don't know if that meant anything. At first, I thought that the Emerald Herald was implied to be their child.

Are there any more clues in NG+?

Oreoleo

70+ hours later finally getting towards the end of NG. I was a little sour on the level design at the start (Forest of Fallen Giants is so zzzz, cliche starting Souls area at this point no different than Undead Burg and Boleteria Palace to me except less interesting. And Lost Bastille not being connected to other areas is a real bummer), but the areas seem to get better and better as the game goes on. Nothing in the realm of Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith in sight.

After I finish playing for a couple hours I find myself elated at how good everything is. Gonna be real bummed when I run out of things to do.

Mistel

Banned
If I hit the STR soft cap, does that mean that my damage should be enough for the rest of the game? My Greatsword is at +8.
Soft caps are the point of diminishing returns for stat investment. You will be interested in the pursuer or zweihander if you like ultra greatswords.
Any good setups for using claws or fists?
Use caestus or mankin claws.
Once again not used in PvP except against the lamest scrubs.
Which then you are among ranks no?

Did you get unleash sorcery and crystal soul spear?

Yep. I looked through the wiki and triple checked everything. It's all there. I also looked online to see if anyone else had the same problem. There were a few, but they all seemed to resolve their issue by discarding and buying soul arrow. I tried, didn't work.

Dang, I would've platinum'd the game today too if it weren't for this. So upset right now. :(

Cool webm, what's that sword in your off-hand?

Manikin Sabre.

Edit: Oh god, I've certainly seen some bad patches during the past few days but tonight has been so bad that I nearly rage quit. Jester Chest, Gower's Ring, Full Havel, Avelyn, Iron Clad Chest, invisible Santier's Spear... I just can't have any fun against these kinds of builds, and I'm not a "If you don't bow it's not honourable!" kind of person, I just appreciate a good fight above all else. It's incredibly rare that the fight will be any good for either person when people just load up on all the over-powered PVP-centric items and come charging in. But I guess that's what 15+ million soul memory will get me... I sure hope something is done about that eventually.

On top of that, this last guy I fought just beat me with nothing but a bow... That was a horrendously demoralising way to end a night.

maomaoIYP

Manikin Sabre.

Edit: Oh god, I've certainly seen some bad patches during the past few days but tonight has been so bad that I nearly rage quit. Jester Chest, Gower's Ring, Full Havel, Avelyn, Iron Clad Chest, invisible Santier's Spear... I just can't have any fun against these kinds of builds, and I'm not a "If you don't bow it's not honourable!" kind of person, I just appreciate a good fight above all else. It's incredibly rare that the fight will be any good for either person when people just load up on all the over-powered PVP-centric items and come charging in. But I guess that's what 15+ million soul memory will get me... I sure hope something is done about that eventually.

On top of that, this last guy I fought just beat me with nothing but a bow... That was a horrendously demoralising way to end a night.

Where are you playing? The arena? I've had quite a few good fights of late in the arena, but then again I think I'm part of the problem. At 48 million there's no reason to have a wimpy build.......

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it gets bad. After a certain SM threshold, builds just don't exist anymore because everyone can use mundane/dark everything. I did a bunch of low SM pvp in belfry luna the other day with a new character and that was fun. You can tell who the ones are that are there for PvP and who's just unlucky to get invaded, but I win 90% of my matches there just using a +10 rapier with Magic Weapon at base stats. I play a high Int character but I rarely use magic in PvP because it's so easy to dodge and punish. It's good for putting on pressure, and that's about it.

Though tbh I've found sorcery to be very lackluster so far in PvE as well. I'm at 40 int now and even Soul Spear does less damage than a regular-ass lightning spear miracle. What's the deal, yo. When/how does sorcery get good?

TheBear

Just got past majula. I've died a couple of times already, should I be saving my human effigies for particular events or just use them as I find them? And what shield blocks full physical?

Mistel

Banned
Bows can be surprisingly nasty in PvP especially the greatbows.
Just got past majula. I've died a couple of times already, should I be saving my human effigies for particular events or just use them as I find them? And what shield blocks full physical?
Old knight shield. Depends how often you die but there's a item that trivializes such not at all far into the game.

Where are you playing? The arena? I've had quite a few good fights of late in the arena, but then again I think I'm part of the problem. At 48 million there's no reason to have a wimpy build.......

The arena was where I first encountered this onslaught of ridiculous characters. But now it's everywhere I go as well, always the same stuff. There's nothing unique or interesting about any of these builds I'm facing and they can almost always stomp me mercilessly. I personally hate the idea of just boosting every stat until I have a bloated behemoth of a character; At that point it's no longer a build, it's just a big grey blob with weapons poking out of it.

Matching up via Soul Level worked so well, I really don't know why From had to go and mess with it.

maomaoIYP

The arena was where I first encountered this onslaught of ridiculous characters. But now it's everywhere I go as well, always the same stuff. There's nothing unique or interesting about any of these builds I'm facing and they can almost always stomp me mercilessly. I personally hate the idea of just boosting every stat until I have a bloated behemoth of a character; At that point it's no longer a build, it's just a big grey blob with weapons poking out of it.

Matching up via Soul Level worked so well, I really don't know why From had to go and mess with it.

Yeah that was what I felt too actually, until I decided that since I can't beat them, I might as well join them, as payback. So I leveled up a character that I didn't like, and now I'm actually enjoying it. Every fight is brutal, but at least I'm not getting stomped on mercilessly anymore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and the warlock mask didnt drop in ng+ either...sigh

Mistel

Banned
im not farming her it just...it didnt drop :/ guess ill farm him later when i get there
Roenna is not worth farming for anything you'd have more luck getting blood from as stone than her to drop anything. I mean the cursed boneshield has a 1% drop chance from her.

Finalow

It might be a fools errand but have you tried opening these:
Dark Souls II server TCP/UDP ports:
TCP: 50000 - 50100
UDP: 50000 - 50100
no, I didn't. should it help?

oh right, it doesn't respawn. well in any case dual avelyns mundane build isn't really broken, I never had problems to dodge that and with a mundane build if you fail on that you're pretty much done.
iirc monastery scimitar is also ng+ only? I heard that it's pretty op but I still haven't tried it. does it work without that much dex? Besides from that what can you get in ng+ only without ascetics?
what I meant is that you can get rings with ascetics or just go ng+ to get them but it doesn't change much if it's only about that ^ and people who grind WoG. (which is quite ineffective in duels)

Top Bottom