• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Can't do co-op with my brother to save my life. We're in the same soul memory tier and equipped the ring you buy from the cat. No luck no matter how much we try.

Soulhouf

Can't do co-op with my brother to save my life. We're in the same soul memory tier and equipped the ring you buy from the cat. No luck no matter how much we try.

It seems obvious but are you in human form? Aren't you in the covenant of Champions? Do both of you have the same version of the game? If not, you need to enable the global server.
Also you need to be both in NG or both in NG+ and beyond.

Other than that, I don't see how it doesn't work.

It seems obvious but are you in human form? Aren't you in the covenant of Champions? Do both of you have the same version of the game? If not, you need to enable the global server.
Also you need to be both in NG or both in NG+ and beyond.

Other than that, I don't see how it doesn't work.

Nope, none of those things. It's weird.

Holdfing

So I just spent almost a month off work playing nothing but DS2, and while I agree that it's not as good as DS1, it's still a lot of fun. ~200 hours fun, according to Steam. My only gripe is with all the dude-in-armour bosses and those fucking drakekeepers. Especially the 2H mace ones. Fuck those guys and their unlimited stamina.

Also, how does one parry Alonne Knights? They all just stand there and then "POKED YOU BITCH! Didn't expect that did you? Think fast! Just kidding I already poked you at 'th'." I'm playing shieldless and they piss me off.

Isn't the "DON'T YOU DARE"'s offline/From written? I didn't see rank ups for those.

I'm pretty sure all the "Pull back" and the "Don't you dare!" in that corridor are "built-in" signs. Played a lot offline ("Lost connection to Steam") and they are always there.

I'm pretty sure all the "Pull back" and the "Don't you dare!" in that corridor are "built-in" signs. Played a lot offline ("Lost connection to Steam") and they are always there.
They're all developer messages, but people still leave them too.

On that note I played around with seek guidance the other day, not for too long and I didn't see any hidden developer messages like there were in DS1. I was only in one area though (DoP, doing the RRA fight). Anyone used the spell to see what developer messages there are (if any)?

Oreoleo

PVP would be insanely dumb without it, being able to turle behind a shield without any counter would be silly.

Isn't that what stamina is for? Or 2-hand smashes with greatswords? What is even the point of using shields if someone can walk right up and stun you for a second or two?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PVP would be insanely dumb without it, being able to turle behind a shield without any counter would be silly.

Poison, Curse cloud? Stamina drain them by attacking and then stunning them that way? Shield break seems a little pointless and game-breaking for shield users.

I thought the Shrine of Amana would be hell with a 90% melee/strength character that has only a measily crossbow and no spells... I was wrong. The first section has been easy and straightforward, with only a couple tries before I managed to clear the area and get to the next bonfire. The one thing I did to prepare was to make a high magic-resist shield to help me tank attacks that I wasn't able to dodge.

I don't know if it's my experience with the game, or the relative weakness of DEX-based characters (or a bit of both), but my STR-based character has had a much easier time through the game than my first character, a DEX character, ever did.

Isn't that what stamina is for? Or 2-hand smashes with greatswords? What is even the point of using shields if someone can walk right up and stun you for a second or two?

If they aren't guarding when you try to break them, the guard break will do absolutely nothing which leaves you wide open to a counterattack.

Also good luck sitting close enough to a live opponent to actually land the move.

Leunam

Poison, Curse cloud? Stamina drain them by attacking and then stunning them that way? Shield break seems a little pointless and game-breaking for shield users.

Waste a ton of stamina to wear down their stamina and then have no stamina left for decent damage.

No thanks, shield break will do just fine.

Oreoleo

If they aren't guarding when you try to break them, the guard break will do absolutely nothing which leaves you wide open to a counterattack.

Also good luck sitting close enough to a live opponent to actually land the move.

Both valid points. Now that I know guard break is a thing it's definitely gonna change how I manage my shield in PVP.

I do think it's something that should either be limited to larger/str-based swords though or tied to stamina somehow. Just being an auto stun no matter what armor you have or how much stamina you have feels a little cheap. Maybe in DS3 :p

eot

Banned
I thought the Shrine of Amana would be hell with a 90% melee/strength character that has only a measily crossbow and no spells... I was wrong. The first section has been easy and straightforward, with only a couple tries before I managed to clear the area and get to the next bonfire. The one thing I did to prepare was to make a high magic-resist shield to help me tank attacks that I wasn't able to dodge.

I think the mages are quite manageable, the problem is that one set of them that's guarded by two melee dudes. You can't kill the second mage without aggroing them and they aren't slowed down by the water, which is just unfair. Went through there last night on my SL1 and I had to use a bow to pull them.

GorillaJu

So I just spent almost a month off work playing nothing but DS2, and while I agree that it's not as good as DS1, it's still a lot of fun. ~200 hours fun, according to Steam. My only gripe is with all the dude-in-armour bosses and those fucking drakekeepers. Especially the 2H mace ones. Fuck those guys and their unlimited stamina.

Also, how does one parry Alonne Knights? They all just stand there and then "POKED YOU BITCH! Didn't expect that did you? Think fast! Just kidding I already poked you at 'th'." I'm playing shieldless and they piss me off.

Alonne knights I just learned to be really patient with. But I agree about all the enemies, especially the mace fucker, that lead up to the AD.

BadTaste

I tried that strategy for the longest time, and while I did get him on my dex with this method, I find it inconsistent and unreliable. He often turns at sharp angles when doing the AOE attack and running towards the tail can screw you over in those cases.

I prefer this method: bait the frontal breath attack, then run to the front legs and hack away, but keep some stamina to return in front of its head, and if you have stamina to spare, whack its head. That'll bait his head butt attack which you can easily dodge (roll backwards). Then bait his frontal attack again. Though he may leap off to do the AOE at that point, in which case just run away from its head.

If you have strong ranged attacks (such as Sunlight/Great Lightning Spear, Crystal Soul Spear, dual Avelyn, etc.), it's even easier, because you can always stay in front of him, lock on to his head, and hurl your projectiles. On my powerstancing Avelyn user (no, I don't use it in PvP except against douches XD) he almost never did the AOE attack and when he did I was already far from him so running back a bit was pretty safe.

However, no method is foolproof and you could still get clipped by the fire sometimes, so I suggest you try to survive the fire. Flash Sweat works wonders, you can survive the fire with only 22 VGR (+ 3rd Dragon Ring) with it. Great Magic Barrier isn't as good but does cut fire defense too, as do Small Orange Burrs.

You'll need to recast/eat a burr every now and then though, since it doesn't last that long and it's a long fight. If your VGR is high enough you can sometimes survive it without Flash Sweat or a Small Orange Burr, though you need significant fire defense (Flame Quartz+2 helps). I recommend Agdayne's set or the Saint robes because they're light and have high fire defense. The Penal Handcuffs also have strong fire defense.

I beat him many times now, but only once did I beat him without ever getting hit by the fire, so IMO those who say "go naked" give bad advice; surviving the fire is far less frustrating and give you a lot of breathing room.

Good luck!

Got him with your method, took a couple tried but yeah thanks <3

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Waste a ton of stamina to wear down their stamina and then have no stamina left for decent damage.

Great swords should break their stamina faster than you burning your own. Two handed power-stances especially. It seems weird that they'd make a low-cost high-reward move when there's counters (read: Clouds, movement, etc) to get around it. Unless the stun allows you to roll?

OH! I can't believe we were talking about the guard-break in a somewhat negative light there for a second.

Leave my beautiful GB alone. Best mechanical addition to the game, in my opinion; not only for the added dynamics and punishment for Turtlers in PvP, but that follow-up critical attack is just... Hnggggg. Hnggggg, indeed.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Of all the broken mechanics/weapons in the game, guard break is not one of them. A good player will never be hit with it because it's ridiculously slow to come out and VERY punishable. Don't turtle, learn to put up your shield when an enemy starts his attack rather than keeping it up all the time, unless you're at a safe distance. It's a good counter to Havel Shield turtlers who can just sit there all day.

Leunam

Great swords should break their stamina faster than you burning your own. Two handed power-stances especially. It seems weird that they'd make a low-cost high-reward move when there's counters (read: Clouds, movement, etc) to get around it. Unless the stun allows you to roll?

Low-cost, high-reward, but also very high-risk. I have to be right up against someones shield before I use it if I still want to be in range when the attack connects. And if I miss, anyone with a broad sword or anything larger is in range for counter combos.

Soulhouf

OH! I can't believe we were talking about the guard-break in a somewhat negative light there for a second.

Leave my beautiful GB alone. Best mechanical addition to the game, in my opinion; not only for the added dynamics and punishment for Turtlers in PvP, but that follow-up critical attack is just... Hnggggg. Hnggggg, indeed.

Agreed. I frequently fake guard with my shield to bait a guard break and punish.
I think the way it works right now is pretty well balanced in that regard.

knitoe

Old Iron King Boss makes me depress. 3rd time he's ended my no death run. Another 6 hours wasted. Maybe, I should just try speedruns until I can pass him.

Can you bypass him?

1 million soul memory to open Shrine of winter. I have seen folks farm old Iron King with bonfire ascetic to get to 1 million. He is the easiest if the 4 old ones, but he can also be the most likely to give you a cheap death. I don't have the fortitude or patience to do a no death run, good luck.

garath

So I have my first fragrant branch of yore from the
sinner fight
, should I use it to open the path next to the guy with the blue sword or use it to get that bonfire in the Lost bastille?
I did read that the bonfire guy trades boss souls. That would be really cool

sinner fight
, should I use it to open the path next to the guy with the blue sword or use it to get that bonfire in the Lost bastille?

One by the Blue guy. You'll get more there and to be honest, most of the boss weapons are meh until they are really leveled. You probably don't have enough Dragon Bones to do that yet.

garath

One by the Blue guy. You'll get more there and to be honest, most of the boss weapons are meh until they are really leveled. You probably don't have enough Dragon Bones to do that yet.

Good deal. It's nice having multiple places to go anyways. Currently only have that poison swamp area right now.

I beat Royal Rat Vanguard on my first try and no real preparation. Why do people find this fight so bad?
It's the Royal Rat Authority most people find harder, not the Vanguard.

A tip for miracle users for each fight - Soul Appease works great taking out a load of rats at once in the RRV fight. And the spell that makes you immune to status effects is a nice safety net for the start of the RRA fight.

If that's harvest valley you are referring to you get another fragrant branch there.
Two even.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea none of the rat bosses are too hard, authority just takes a lot of tries until you get lucky, basically

sinner fight

i'd use it on the
girl by the door to shaded woods. it unlocks a cool new area while boss souls dude is cool but probably not something you want to do right now

don't think too hard about your choice tho, branches of yore aren't too rare

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Here is my build I've worked out for my final run at NG++. Royal soldier + 2 since I am too attached to the <50% equip burden roll to give it up. Also I found out apparently the King's Crown gives you +3 to faith and intelligence, though I don't know if that covers requirements or is just a flat bonus. I spent most of NG+ just getting my strength and vigor up to par with the rest of my stats. Sunlight Sword is beastly at 40 str 40 dex. Greatsword is for boss battles and enemies I'm confident enough to body with 2-handed attacks. Both the sun sword and greatsword can also be buffed, and for a quality build they are really awesome for general use!

Now on to get the last few miracles I need from Wellager and achieve my Dark Soul!

maomaoIYP

It boggles the mind the lengths people go to prevent getting killed by an invader.
This dude had two white phantoms with him, they were all gathered at the bonfire, and still he chose to dashboard quit. *sigh*

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It boggles the mind the lengths people go to prevent getting killed by an invader.
This dude had two white phantoms with him, they were all gathered at the bonfire, and still he chose to dashboard quit. *sigh*
Don't you get punished for that? Bone of Order is a once per playthrough item so I can't imagine they use that tactic regularly with any success unless they just don't care about playing without co-op for the rest of the game.

But yea it seems silly, just use a ring of life protection if you are that concerned about your humanity or souls. If you die, all you really lose is 2-3 minutes of your time and 3000 souls.

zkylon

zkylewd
this is me right now: http://gamehubbs.com/darksouls2/builds/2160

rapier is +10 and i also have a backup lighting bastard sword +10 and uchigatana +10

i'm thinking of making another rapier and infusing it with lighting cos i really like the super fast attack speed, feels like it works really well both in pvp and pve. i was gonna try and see if the espada ropera was a good alternative too and maybe do a power stance with both of em

it's weird how i spent 90% of the game with the same weapon and now i'm filled with random cool stuff i can't use cos i would have to upgrade it a lot to even test if it's any good

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

rapier is +10 and i also have a backup lighting bastard sword +10 and uchigatana +10

i'm thinking of making another rapier and infusing it with lighting cos i really like the super fast attack speed, feels like it works really well both in pvp and pve. i was gonna try and see if the espada ropera was a good alternative too and maybe do a power stance with both of em

it's weird how i spent 90% of the game with the same weapon and now i'm filled with random cool stuff i can't use cos i would have to upgrade it a lot to even test if it's any good
Wow King's shield looks awesome. I might have to try it out. Only reason I use watcher's shield is because I like how it looks and the parry speed, block chime and light weight.

Rapier is indeed boss, I used a +10 for most of NG+, for my original playthrough I used that fire longsword you find upgraded to +10, then switched to warped sword +5 (after flexile sentry) which has a fun and very agile move-set.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow King's shield looks awesome. I might have to try it out. Only reason I use watcher's shield is because I like how it looks and the parry speed, block chime and light weight.

Rapier is indeed boss, I used a +10 for most of NG+, for my original playthrough I used that fire longsword you find upgraded to +10, then switched to warped sword +5 (after flexile sentry) which has a fun and very agile move-set.

yeah king's shield is beast. i was using vengarl's shield up until i got it since while elemental resistances were weaker than drangleic's, it was lighter and i usually roll elemental attacks like fireballs and dark magic and stuff anyways. king's shield is i think the same weight as vengarl's but with good resistances, although imo it doesn't look as badass, so i might switch back.

i was gonna make me watcher's shield but i didn't really like how it looked so i ended up making the greatsword. wasn't the best choice as it has int requirements and i can't equip it lol

i really love how this game showers you with upgrade materials. it's the way it should be

also i want a good scythe, i haven't found anything like the bleed scythe from dark 1, which was my favorite weapon. gotta keep looking.

imma take a look at your warped sword later, i think i have it in my stash

I'd recommend just testing out the attacks to see if you like it at all in a low-level area or against harmless enemies. The most important aspect of a weapon is whether you can actually hit enemies with it while dodging effectively, and a small differences in damage will not be the deciding factor in most fights. Once you've found a weapon you thoroughly enjoy, that is the time you should dedicate resources to improving its damage.

Also, another thing to note is that there are a few weapons that seem to be affected by infusions differently than others in the same weapon group. So once you've settled on a weapon, check out its infusions to see if you can make it more useful somehow. Dex weapons in particular lose almost nothing from a lowered Attribute score (The difference between A and D is about 10 damage when you have 30+ DEX).

A word of warning: I went crazy in my first game and upgraded two claws to +10/bleed without testing them... now those resources are forever wasted. You don't want to be the Wolverine, no one does.
I'm gonna go sulk in a corner now.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
A word of warning: I went crazy in my first game and upgraded two claws to +10/bleed without testing them... now those resources are forever wasted. You don't want to be the Wolverine, no one does.
Yep, I did something similar and wasted tons of twinkling. I feel like twinkling titanite should be buyable in NG++ or something but oh well =/

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd recommend just testing out the attacks to see if you like it at all in a low-level area or against harmless enemies. The most important aspect of a weapon is whether you can actually hit enemies with it while dodging effectively, and a small differences in damage will not be the deciding factor in most fights. Once you've found a weapon you thoroughly enjoy, that is the time you should dedicate resources to improving its damage.

Also, another thing to note is that there are a few weapons that seem to be affected by infusions differently than others in the same weapon group. So once you've settled on a weapon, check out its infusions to see if you can make it more useful somehow. Dex weapons in particular lose almost nothing from a lowered Attribute score (The difference between A and D is about 10 damage when you have 30+ DEX).

lol damn i just bought two claws yesterday haha

what i'm usually doing is setting my soapstone by a boss fight and trying out different weapons when summoned. problem is that while i may enjoy the moveset if the weapon's gonna be really weak when +10'd then i don't really want to waste the resources upgrading it

Mistel

Banned
lol damn i just bought two claws yesterday haha

what i'm usually doing is setting my soapstone by a boss fight and trying out different weapons when summoned. problem is that while i may enjoy the moveset if the weapon's gonna be really weak when +10'd then i don't really want to waste the resources upgrading it
Get mankin claws instead they do strike damage and are much more effective.

maomaoIYP

Don't you get punished for that? Bone of Order is a once per playthrough item so I can't imagine they use that tactic regularly with any success unless they just don't care about playing without co-op for the rest of the game.

But yea it seems silly, just use a ring of life protection if you are that concerned about your humanity or souls. If you die, all you really lose is 2-3 minutes of your time and 3000 souls.

Exactly. The chances of a single invader winning against 3 people are terribly low, and yet there are players who would rather risk getting a ban.

Minamu

So that no bonfire run. What's the optimal route? I intend to go to the shrine, but I need a branch to get there. I'm currently hoping that one branch, the bought one, will carry over on its own.

Booties

Banned
I think it's the Royal Rat Authority that's supposedly the hard one. I haven't done it yet, so I don't know.

Oh you mean Sif 2.0? I beat him on like my 2nd or 3rd try. People are bad at this game I think.

It's the Royal Rat Authority most people find harder, not the Vanguard.

A tip for miracle users for each fight - Soul Appease works great taking out a load of rats at once in the RRV fight. And the spell that makes you immune to status effects is a nice safety net for the start of the RRA fight.

Two even.

Yeah that status spell is a good idea. I thought of it after being poisoned once or twice. Had I died, I surely would have equipped it.

Top Bottom