• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Soulhouf

Hmm.
I usually:
1. bait the laser
2. run to the other end and get two hits in on the other face.
3. Immediately roll out of the way.
4. Position myself right in front of Freja at the right distance to trigger the laser.
5. Repeat.

And I was able to take a hit from its arms without dying in one hit. Although I was wearing +9 Alonne Knight Armor with +9 Manikin boots and some light gloves.

If you get hit with the sticky web attack you're pretty much dead though.

I just beat Freja at SL1 like this last night. Although it admittedly took quite a few attempts.

I will try that thanks. What I need is more practice.
Doing this kind of run forces you to understand every fight and master it until you don't make mistakes anymore. That's what I appreciate with these challenges.

Riposte

The only thing that seems to work well against them is poison arrows. Otherwise I hate them with a passion.
Finally got it down... The trick seems to be to dodge in different directions while it is barraging. Also don't get stuck to the wall lol

Nitemare1

So I finally got around to playing and decided I was going in blind and try to figure out as much as I could by myself.
I completely missed the forest of fallen giants. I didn't think there was anywhere to go after that first bonfire and struggled my way though Tower of Flame and No Mans Warf first! LOL So stupid.. Sure felt like a badass when I tore through the rest of the Forest of Fallen Giants though :D

A copy and paste of what I just accidentally posted in the DS1 thread. Doh!

Uh I need a bit of help. I am close to endgame, just took the king ring, and trying to go through Aldia Fortress but I am having a hard time.
Here's my stats: http://imgur.com/KUCZp93
My equipment is Claymore+8, two dragons large shield, Elite kinght set (+5 helmet, +7 armor, +4 gloves, +5 trousers) and some tings (protection, link...)
So what I like to do when playing Dark Souls is a mix of shielding and rolls, and I really like the claymore since DS1 as it's versatile with great range (I used the elite knight set then the black iron set in DS1). Most of the people I see playing armor/shield are with very heavy sets like havel, and very big sword/hammers, and I don't like them has mobility is not that great.

I'm not sure if I should restat my character, finish to upgrade my equipment, put magic on the sword, upgrade the shield or change it... What would you do if you were me ? I didn't used any boss souls so I have a stock I can use for equipment and levelup.

Ruuppa

So, what are some good Miracles to learn? And how many of them should we equip at the same time?

To be honest, the only thing you need from Miracles is Great Lightning Spear. It tears through just about anything, even the lightning -resistant bosses like
Looking Glass Knight
. The only enemies that'll give you problems with that are Lion Warriors.

Three slots of GLS(or LS and as many GLS's you've found) + a self-buff will take you far.

Magic Barrier is a simple and useful self-buff, long lasting and can buff allies as well. Great Magic Barrier is a direct upgrade, but doesn't affect allies.
Sacred Oath would be a pretty great physical buff, but it takes 4 slots all on its own..
The regeneration spells are pretty crap, with Replenishment being too slow and Resplendent Life taking two slots.
Soul Appease is situational, but excellent in
Prowling Magus
. Heavenly Thunder is the same, but very random.

Uh I need a bit of help. I am close to endgame, just took the king ring, and trying to go through Aldia Fortress but I am having a hard time.
Here's my stats: http://imgur.com/KUCZp93
My equipment is Claymore+8, two dragons large shield, Elite kinght set (+5 helmet, +7 armor, +4 gloves, +5 trousers) and some tings (protection, link...)
So what I like to do when playing Dark Souls is a mix of shielding and rolls, and I really like the claymore since DS1 as it's versatile with great range (I used the elite knight set then the black iron set in DS1). Most of the people I see playing armor/shield are with very heavy sets like havel, and very big sword/hammers, and I don't like them has mobility is not that great.

I'm not sure if I should restat my character, finish to upgrade my equipment, put magic on the sword, upgrade the shield or change it... What would you do if you were me ? I didn't used any boss souls so I have a stock I can use for equipment and levelup.

Since you're purely physical, upgrade your Vitality. 40 is good, 50 is better. If you want to roll better, get to 20 Adaptability, or enough to get you 100-ish Agility, those iframes save lives.

When you find it in Dragon's Aerie, put on Third Dragon Ring and try to get under 50% weight, the extra roll-distance is totally worth it.

Riposte

Did you know who with three giant souls. Went with the glass cannon approach (with arced sword) since I'm basically out of effigies and didn't want to play around. Took a few (short, then very long) tries, maybe not the most interesting fight, but probably the most stressful. My hands were sweating by the end.

Funny that caetus couldn't land hits very well even when right on top of 'em. They have trouble with some hitboxes.

EDIT: reminds me of beating the dark souls tutorial boss without fleeing. Although I guess I had one too many giant souls for the damage to be the same lol.

I got my third Great Soul, one more to go! Just entered the Shaded Woods, not sure what to expect.

I feel unstoppable with this build:
2014_05_21_00002.jpg
Dark Orb for life.

Also, GeDoSaTo is a game changer, I turned it off for a sec just to see how it looked and.... just no, everything looks awful.

I also don't get summoned that much anymore, is my Soul Memory screwing me up?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No, just your SM is nearly at the end-game for NG. I was like 2.1m or so and getting signs at the end game areas this past weekend.

Speaking of which, what the odds that From will fix that system in the next patch and revert it back a Soul Level based system?

You know, so I don't have to make a new character every other week to PvP.

Why not just back up your save and restore it when your SM gets too high?

That's what I plan on doing when I get to 150. I don't plan on going to NG+ either and will just stick around in NG.

I mean, you shouldn't have to do either of those things, From fucked up, but I doubt they'll ever fix it so you might as well.

Soulhouf

Things I wish they change in the next patch/balance:

- Make scaling calculated off the current upgrade level rather than base level (some weapons eventually need to have scaling readjust)
- Decrease the medium roll to 50% equip load and the others to 35%, 25%...
- Power stance Avelyn no more/increase the time necessary to reload bolts.
- Nerf the Monastery Scimitar
- Make repairing cost for the rings of protection scale with your level

and of course remove SM matchmaking, at least from NG+ onward.

Other less priority changes:

- Fix the BK weapons. That BK Great Axe goddammit u_u
- Remove the possibility of healing through items in the arenas
- Make slash weapons effective against more enemies
- Show weapons/armor stat and bonus gained from scaling in the item container/menu/blacksmith

GorillaJu

You do seem a little bit over leveled for having not done Shaded Woods yet Mauricio, but not drastically so. You may have just hit a cut off at 1m SM.

So who's ready for a Pudge voice pack and Pudge model remake?

I really hope he's not on the vote for the model remake, that'd be stupid. I'd say limit it to heroes who aren't cosmetic ready, but that means Slardar has to sit the vote out, so I don't know.

No, just your SM is nearly at the end-game for NG. I was like 2.1m or so and getting signs at the end game areas this past weekend.

Thanks, I'll stop worrying about it then.

You do seem a little bit over leveled for having not done Shaded Woods yet Mauricio, but not drastically so. You may have just hit a cut off at 1m SM.

I've done everything else and I usually help against a boss before fighting it myself, which has given me tons of extra souls. Thanks for the info, I was wondering if I was drastically overleveled or not.

GorillaJu

So who's ready for a Pudge voice pack and Pudge model remake?

I really hope he's not on the vote for the model remake, that'd be stupid. I'd say limit it to heroes who aren't cosmetic ready, but that means Slardar has to sit the vote out, so I don't know.

Pudge doesn't need a remake. And by pudge I assume you mean Artificial Undead. Because this is the Dark Souls 2 thread :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thanks, I'll stop worrying about it then.

If you put your sign down, you'll probably still get pulled (on PC, can't talk PS3) in the woods. I was at 1M SM last week. But it's not a slam-dunk. You want to rush through the woods to the next area to at least be in the general "end-game" areas to start seeing some signs.

But the major problem is that it isn't a guarantee since people aren't putting their signs down (at least for me) anymore. I could sit there as a human for about five minutes and no signs popping. Put mine down, get summoned in seconds.

GorillaJu

Noob question: so if I want to hold a great sword but I don't meet the requirements for it, I can two hand it and use it so long as I'm half-way there, right?

I see people recommending crypt blacksword for dark melee builds but they're saying you need 20 STR to wield it.

Probably will go with a different weapon anyway, I'm not a fan of slow weapons. Silverblack Sickle looks pretty slick.

Firebrand

Just took me 5 tries to kill Mytha. It was, uh, interesting. Maybe that's what happens when you have 5 adaptability, though it's still difficult to see clear improvements from investing in it.

- Make scaling calculated off the current upgrade level rather than base level (some weapons eventually need to have scaling readjust)

- Show weapons/armor stat and bonus gained from scaling in the item container/menu/blacksmith

I like this a lot; I actually think a fixed percentage of your current souls held could also work, because you can stop leveling and start hoarding like crazy whenever you wish. If you want to both carry around and nullify the loss of a sizable amount of souls, you should have to pony up a sizable amount of souls when shit hits the fan.

Walkinboss

Neo Member
I realize this has been discussed to death, but I want to address Soul Memory for a minute.

Soul Memory seems like a classic over-reaction to a simple problem. Namely: Invaders having much better gear than their intended victims. With the way Dark Souls 2 works as it already is, invasions in NG are almost non existent. While this is only from my personal experience, I have only been invaded by a Red in NG twice and both times were at a high SM. I did witness a low SM invasion as a White.

My solution to this, though it has some drawbacks, is to just disallow invasions on NG. You can still duel and summon Reds. Just no cracked eye orbs in NG. NPC invasions can stay. This gives new players a chance to experience invasions without tackling a more experienced opponent.

From NG+ and onward the game could work based on Soul Level and everyone would have had a chance to gear up, and be better equipped. Thus a lower SL invader would not have an unfair benefit of late game equipment.

An added benefit of this is if a player never wants to PVP they can chose to stay away from NG+. PvP players on the other hand can move on to NG+ and can chose any level to stop at.

Is this as simple as it seems to me? Am I missing something?

Soulhouf

And above 50%?

Fat roll above 50% and rolling distance continues to decrease gradually until equip load reaches 100%.

I like this a lot; I actually think a fixed percentage of your current souls held could also work, because you can stop leveling and start hoarding like crazy whenever you wish. If you want to both carry around and nullify the loss of a sizable amount of souls, you should have to pony up a sizable amount of souls when shit hits the fan.

Yep. Level and carried souls seems good to me. The higher level you are and/or the more souls you have, the more precious the ring.
Risk/reward, something gained, something lost.

Arjen

I realize this has been discussed to death, but I want to address Soul Memory for a minute.

Soul Memory seems like a classic over-reaction to a simple problem. Namely: Invaders having much better gear than their intended victims. With the way Dark Souls 2 works as it already is, invasions in NG are almost non existent. While this is only from my personal experience, I have only been invaded by a Red in NG twice and both times were at a high SM. I did witness a low SM invasion as a White.

My solution to this, though it has some drawbacks, is to just disallow invasions on NG. You can still duel and summon Reds. Just no cracked eye orbs in NG. NPC invasions can stay. This gives new players a chance to experience invasions without tackling a more experienced opponent.

From NG+ and onward the game could work based on Soul Level and everyone would have had a chance to gear up, and be better equipped. Thus a lower SL invader would not have an unfair benefit of late game equipment.

An added benefit of this is if a player never wants to PVP they can chose to stay away from NG+. PvP players on the other hand can move on to NG+ and can chose any level to stop at.

Is this as simple as it seems to me? Am I missing something?

The lack of NG invasions is already bumming me out, would be horrible to remove al together.
I don't want to take every character to NG+ to do some PVP.

GorillaJu

The problem is that From probably wants invasions to be part of the game. It's one of the things that makes the Souls series what it is, and a vast majority of people stop playing a game once they've seen the credits, which means a vast majority of their players would never experience invasions.

I didn't jump into NG+ on my first character, but to be fair I'm still playing, I just made a new character to try some new things and keep my SL:SM ratio intact. Unfortunately I couldn't keep it at a perfect ratio because I died to the Gargoyle boss and then some turd invaded me and I got backstabbed when he was standing in front of me, losing about 12k souls. :( It was the only PvP invasion that I lost before I finally killed the Gargs again... took only 3 tries vs about 15 on my first playthrough :lol. My Dark Weapon'd Magic Mace +5 absolutely wrecks the fools at my SM (250k-ish). I got 2v1'd twice and my R2 swing mutilated the guy trying to flank me while I was targeting the main person. Feels like sweet revenge for the terrible ass-raping I was delivered in Luna on my first playthrough :lol

Walkinboss

Neo Member
The lack of NG invasions is already bumming me out, would be horrible to remove al together.
I don't want to take every character to NG+ to do some PVP.

Understood and for the record I prefer DS1's style as well, lagstabs and all. I loved racing through at low SL and then helping new players with the gargoyles and capra. It really seems like DeS and DS1 system was perfect, no invasions if you're hollow.

The problem is that From probably wants invasions to be part of the game. It's one of the things that makes the Souls series what it is, and a vast majority of people stop playing a game once they've seen the credits, which means a vast majority of their players would never experience invasions.

I didn't jump into NG+ on my first character, but to be fair I'm still playing, I just made a new character to try some new things and keep my SL:SM ratio intact. Unfortunately I couldn't keep it at a perfect ratio because I died to the Gargoyle boss and then some turd invaded me and I got backstabbed when he was standing in front of me, losing about 12k souls. :( It was the only PvP invasion that I lost before I finally killed the Gargs again... took only 3 tries vs about 15 on my first playthrough :lol. My Dark Weapon'd Magic Mace +5 absolutely wrecks the fools at my SM (250k-ish). I got 2v1'd twice and my R2 swing mutilated the guy trying to flank me while I was targeting the main person. Feels like sweet revenge for the terrible ass-raping I was delivered in Luna on my first playthrough :lol

I understand this point, but invasions are so rare at the moment, it almost seems like they don't exist until NG+. My first char in NG+ was a sinner and I couldn't take 10 steps without a blue in my game. That was a major shock coming from zero human invasions.

I'm not counting the bell tower's with this however. I'm just commenting on Red and Blue invasions.

Arjen

I'm not even a big PvP player, but the lack of NG invasions is really hurting my enjoyment of this game.
I like making new charcters and specific builds for it, i don't like NG+ because you're already to strong really. The tension you had in DS that you could be invaded a lot even in NG made it a lot more exciting.
Running trough NG now is boring because you won't be invaded anyway.

nem8

Neo Member
I for one have been invaded a whole two times.

I have played through NG twice, one time with my melee build and once with my faith build.
Im kinda underwhelmed by the lack of invasions :(

On my first character i joined the bellbros and i got my share of PvP through levelling that to 3. On my second ive done Dragonbros, PvPing on bridge. I want to do bluebros and redbros too tho and if it wasnt for the lack of orbs i would roll a new character and do redbros with that.

Ah well..

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Solution to the problem is devastatingly simple and was mentioned on last page, or this one idk.

NG: SM
NG+: SL roughly like in DkS1

One and done.

I'm not even a big PvP player, but the lack of NG invasions is really hurting my enjoyment of this game.
I like making new charcters and specific builds for it, i don't like NG+ because you're already to strong really. The tension you had in DS that you could be invaded a lot even in NG made it a lot more exciting.
Running trough NG now is boring because you won't be invaded anyway.
Agreed.

I still think there's a good chance they will do something about it, not remove it no way, but alter the current situation. We're not done with patches yet.

I for one have been invaded a whole two times.

I have played through NG twice, one time with my melee build and once with my faith build.
Im kinda underwhelmed by the lack of invasions :(

On my first character i joined the bellbros and i got my share of PvP through levelling that to 3. On my second ive done Dragonbros, PvPing on bridge. I want to do bluebros and redbros too tho and if it wasnt for the lack of orbs i would roll a new character and do redbros with that.

Ah well..

Get to the end of NG and kill all the NPCs, then start NG+ and you'll get plenty
(too many)
invasions. Also, you can purchase both red and blue orbs in NG+.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Fat roll above 50% and rolling distance continues to decrease gradually until equip load reaches 100%.

Yep. Level and carried souls seems good to me. The higher level you are and/or the more souls you have, the more precious the ring.
Risk/reward, something gained, something lost.

35% fast roll? You might as well just remove dex from the game.

nem8

Neo Member
Get to the end of NG and kill all the NPCs, then start NG+ and you'll get plenty
(too many)
invasions. Also, you can purchase both red and blue orbs in NG+.

Yeah i heard. Im at the end with both characters but i havent made up my mind if i want that kind of PvP which awaits me at the other side (in NG+) after reading about it here and in other places.

:(

JustinBB7

Yea fix the Black Knight Greataxe please from. I dunno why it's so shit now, was my fav weapon in Dark Souls 1, it sucks so hard in 2. It feels so slow, damage is crap, and reach feels shorter, also they removed a few moves from the moveset..

why..

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've been abusing the bino-boost glitch for a while now. Never in PVP, well except for that time I ran from an invader into the fog gate. It's pretty awesome and I was able to get through the first part of FOFG without really fighting much of anything, lol.

Solution to the problem is devastatingly simple and was mentioned on last page, or this one idk.

One and done.

SM is still awful in NG though. I basically can't co-op anymore because I peaked my SM took high. I've seen 1 summon sign while clearing the rest of the areas and no one has picked mine up yet.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Problems with 60fps: http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/540742399400360842/

I actually did notice my demon great hammer running out of durability crazy fast, makes sense now. This seems like a really dumb oversight on From's part.

Wow, after Titanfall its also in Dark Souls 2? (higher FPS affecting gameplay mechanics out of normalization)

That would also mean the PC population is playing on hard'er difficulty than on the other platforms, for Dark Souls 2.

knitoe

Fuck this game. I was carefully making my way through the undead crypt on my no death run. The end was getting near. Attacked a Leydia witch, she got knocked down to a lower level with barely any health, I couldn't see her, and next thing I know, fire pillars (firestorm spell?) came through the floor. I am dead. I have wasted to many runs and hours. Think, it's time to move onto my backlog games.

Fuck this game. I was carefully making my way through the undead crypt on my no death run. The end was getting near. Attacked a Leydia witch, she got knocked down to a lower level with barely any health, I couldn't see her, and next thing I know, fire pillars (firestorm spell?) came through the floor. I am dead. I have wasted to many runs and hours. Think, it's time to move onto my backlog games.
Ouchie. UC was the area I dreaded the most on my no death run.

elfinke

It's so ridiculously easy to fix this too.

Hey From, are you listening? I have a fool proof way to keep your Soul Memory system, that was designed to prevents twinks, but keep PvP players from dealing with your shit system that encourages havel wizards.

NG = Soul Memory.

NG+ = Soul Level.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Wonderfully elegant.

I'm currently tearing shit up with a pure poison build. At SM2mil, SL125 character at Iron Keep. (poison) Scorpion Stinger, (poison) Manslayer, Bat Staff, Moon Butterfly legs and hands, Heavy Homing Soul Arrow which is followed by Dark Fog as they come up out of a roll. Soul Greatsword as a stagger and backup.

It's beautiful in execution, and I imagine a right pain in the arse to fight if you're unprepared. The catch, of course, is that I've not a lot of HP or stamina, and if you come into PvP prepared with some anti-poison items, I'm boned (though the stinger still does an alarming amount of damage, which is why I added it the repertoire after I was outgunned - or out healed - a few times in a row. The rock, to my scissors, if you will).

In any event, it's different enough to being just another Lion's Mage character (I've been there and done that)!

Fashion souls advice.

Which pants?:

One and done.

IMO A better thing to do would be just to make SM a non factor in PVP after level 90 or 1m souls or something, because by that time you have every area unlocked and can get w/e gear/spell you want and you should be able to get all full upgraded weapons/gear easily.

And PVE: SL all the time SM never taken into account, SM PVP only up to either 1m souls or a certain level, then SL takes over.

Top Bottom