• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Levito

Banned
I'm not sure what you're asking for here. You just need to obtain 20 Dragon Scales, then you turn them into the Dragon Remnants covenant leader for two non-consumable items that, when used, put a set of Black Dragon armor on your body, temporarily replacing what you were previously wearing. One of the items is for the helm, the other is for the other three pieces. The armor is not removable except upon death. It is also non-upgradeable.

As for getting the 20 Dragon Scales:
a) PVP while a member of the Dragon Remnants and putting down the Eye of Sauron summon thingy
b) ascetic on the second Aldia bonfire to fight Guardian Dragon, then getting the Scale after the boss room
c) ascetic on Dragon Shrine and farming them from Black Dragon warriors on the long staircase

I was basically just looking for the best place to get Dragon Scales. I've been farming that warriors on the long staircase and have yet to get a dragon scale. Probably close to reaching no-spawn territory.

HoosTrax

I was basically just looking for the best place to get Dragon Scales. I've been farming that warriors on the long staircase and have yet to get a dragon scale. Probably close to reaching no-spawn territory.
I think I was able to get 3 scales on average per ascetic while I was farming the Black Dragon weapons and wearing farming gear:

jester hat / merchant hat
prisoner tatters
gold covetous serpent ring

AngryMoth

I really hope they patch the game again soon. My wish list:

- Get rid of soul memory on NG+
- Fix roll/back step parrying
- Fix binoboosting
- Make it so you can't power stance Avelyns
- Reduce fat roll breakpoint to 60%

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hey Lucatiel, thanks for taking the opportunity to spontaneously walk off the pier to your death while I was standing still, talking to an NPC. I know standing in one damn spot for 20 seconds is real hard, and I appreciate having to do No Man's Wharf all over again.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think I was able to get 3 scales on average per ascetic while I was farming the Black Dragon weapons and wearing farming gear:

jester hat / merchant hat
prisoner tatters
gold covetous serpent ring

Need to have gold covetous serpent +2, dragon parma and use rusted coins to get the full benefit.

Mistel

Banned
Hey Lucatiel, thanks for taking the opportunity to spontaneously walk off the pier to your death while I was standing still, talking to an NPC. I know standing in one damn spot for 20 seconds is real hard, and I appreciate having to do No Man's Wharf all over again.
Just do another on of her bosses instead?

Ruuppa

Need to have gold covetous serpent +2, dragon parma and use rusted coins to get the full benefit.

With Prisoner's hat and top + Covetous +2, Rusted Coins don't seem to do anything. The item-find buff-effect doesn't activate, so that might be the Item Discovery cap for the game.

Those dragon warriors have a super low drop rate for scales in my experience. You can ascetic the area without having to kill the AD though.

With Prisoner's hat and top + Covetous +2, Rusted Coins don't seem to do anything. The item-find buff-effect doesn't activate, so that might be the Item Discovery cap for the game.
Have you got another stat boosting effect active like Cloranthy ring etc? The effects don't overlay similar to DS1. So the coins I assume still take effect but you don't get the animation as you use it.

Ruuppa

Have you got another stat boosting effect active like Cloranthy ring etc? The effects don't overlay similar to DS1. So the coins I assume still take effect but you don't get the animation as you use it.

While I had the Rusted Coin supposedly active, I changed out of my Prisoner's Top and it played the buff-effect. The effect does play if you have Cloranthy on though, so it's not that.

Grain of salt etc., I wasn't especially testing for item discovery stacking, just noticed it when I was farming.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the summoned NPC AI/pathfinding is even worse in this game?

Speaking of, does this game not show your current item discovery stat? In DS1 it was listed on your stat screen, so you could see specifically how much you were raising it. But I can't find it anywhere here.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
He won't ask for the feather until he saw Felkin's item, but that item can be found without Felkin, you probably had it on you (he wants
the Sunset Staff, Felkin gives it to you if you have certain stats, but you also find one in a chest in Aldia itself
and it satisfied him.

Ah, that's it. I had that on me. Thanks.

Ruuppa

Speaking of, does this game not show your current item discovery stat? In DS1 it was listed on your stat screen, so you could see specifically how much you were raising it. But I can't find it anywhere here.

It was sacrificed for the equip weight indicator. There wasn't enough room in the UI for both.

Mistel

Banned
Not really. Just wear lighter armor.
Big strength weapons are so much more effective right now than dex, so that's not a big deal.

My point is with OP equipment such as Havel which offer so much defense you should never be able to mid roll without sacrificing something important and heavily investing in vitality.
For the more OP equipment sure. But for forcing people to do so with non OP equipment so they can get under a 50% weight cap? That seems backwards to me.

It was sacrificed for the equip weight indicator. There wasn't enough room in the UI for both.

I feel like they could have still fit it somewhere...the UI isn't exactly well organized, and I'm sure they could have rearranged things if they wanted it there. Seems more like a design decision to me (i.e., for whatever reason they didn't want the player to know their exact item discovery). Either that or an oversight.

That binoboosting is so insane. Watched a few speedruns using it. Must make PvP suck.

Apparently people are using it to get off crazy backstabs...

It's cool for speedruns, though. They'd better set some awesome records with it before From patches it out.

Ruuppa

I feel like they could have still fit it somewhere...the UI isn't exactly well organized, and I'm sure they could have rearranged things if they wanted it there. Seems more like a design decision to me (i.e., for whatever reason they didn't want the player to know their exact item discovery). Either that or an oversight.

I attempted to be flippant there, didn't work out. It's one of the many strange design decision they took with the sequel, not up there with Soul Memory, but still odd. I hope they patch it in, since it would only amount to a small visual change in the stats -menu.

garath

Apparently people are using it to get off crazy backstabs...

It's cool for speedruns, though. They'd better set some awesome records with it before From patches it out.

Just watched a guy do 1:41 all bosses on twitch. Pretty cool. It's amazing how fast these guys are.

I attempted to be flippant there, didn't work out. It's one of the many strange design decision they took with the sequel, not up there with Soul Memory, but still odd. I hope they patch it in, since it would only amount to a small visual change in the stats -menu.

Oh, gotcha, haha. Sarcasm is sometimes lost on me on the internet. Yeah, hopefully they do patch it in.

I'm kind of losing hope at this point that From has much interest in doing much patching on this game at all, though...at the very least they need to patch the obvious bugs, like the binoboosting and weapon durability problems on PC. I'd be really surprised if they do anything about the Soul Memory problems, but I guess we'll see.

Just watched a guy do 1:41 all bosses on twitch. Pretty cool. It's amazing how fast these guys are.

Geez, that's crazy. I want to beat the game before I start watching speedruns, but it'll be fun watching them once I do. (Although for entertainment purposes, I've always enjoyed the wacky challenge runs that people like Lobos do more than speedruns. But both are enjoyable.)

garath

Oh, gotcha, haha. Sarcasm is sometimes lost on me on the internet. Yeah, hopefully they do patch it in.

I'm kind of losing hope at this point that From has much interest in doing much patching on this game at all, though...at the very least they need to patch the obvious bugs, like the binoboosting and weapon durability problems on PC. I'd be really surprised if they do anything about the Soul Memory problems, but I guess we'll see.

Geez, that's crazy. I want to beat the game before I start watching speedruns, but it'll be fun watching them once I do. (Although for entertainment purposes, I've always enjoyed the wacky challenge runs that people like Lobos do more than speedruns. But both are enjoyable.)

I agree. What I've been doing is just tabbing away for the parts I haven't seen yet. It's fascinating watching them kill the bosses I struggled with in seconds.

I agree. What I've been doing is just tabbing away for the parts I haven't seen yet. It's fascinating watching them kill the bosses I struggled with in seconds.

What speedrunners have you been watching? I want to make a list of good ones to watch once I finish the game. For challenge runs, I like to watch Lobos, Miltrivd, and Vageta, since I've watched a lot of their stuff since DS1. I never really watched speedrunners stream too much, though, so I'm not sure who the best ones are.

While I had the Rusted Coin supposedly active, I changed out of my Prisoner's Top and it played the buff-effect. The effect does play if you have Cloranthy on though, so it's not that.

Grain of salt etc., I wasn't especially testing for item discovery stacking, just noticed it when I was farming.
Hmm maybe it was another stat effect that it clashes with. I was using the other day and it didn't show, can't remember what I had equipped. I assumed it was similar to how if you had grass crest shield and wolf ring, only the wolf ring effect would show.

I still say the RNG is funky in DS2 especially, it feels like sometimes it switches on and off. It makes me paranoid!

Ruuppa

Hmm maybe it was another stat effect that it clashes with. I was using the other day and it didn't show, can't remember what I had equipped. I assumed it was similar to how if you had grass crest shield and wolf ring, only the wolf ring effect would show.

I still say the RNG is funky in DS2 especially, it feels like sometimes it switches on and off. It makes me paranoid!

I just checked it: Using a Coin and switching Cloranthy on and off always activates the effect when taking it off, and full item-hunt gear (Covetous +2, Prisoner's hat and top, Watchdragon Parma) doesn't affect the Coin effect at all. So it might not be the cap at all. Or it might be. How about that numeric value in the stat -screen, From?

Has anyone ever gotten multiple drops from a single enemy? I can't remember that ever happening to me.

garath

What speedrunners have you been watching? I want to make a list of good ones to watch once I finish the game. For challenge runs, I like to watch Lobos, Miltrivd, and Vageta, since I've watched a lot of their stuff since DS1. I never really watched speedrunners stream too much, though, so I'm not sure who the best ones are.

I was watching Elajjaz today. He's incredible. Chatting the whole entire time with the viewers while laying down his personal best.

I have got multiple drops, usually off regular enemies but got some multiples off 'Seigmeyer' and Rhoy when I was farming them. And yeah, I miss the numerical value too :/

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
holy shit @ binoboosting. Watching Ela speedrun with this trick now and it should make for some insane times

I was watching Elajjaz today. He's incredible. Chatting the whole entire time with the viewers while laying down his personal best.

I don't know how these guys do this. Offer an entertaining stream, while moderating/maintaining your community at the same time.

AngryMoth

Probably just the framerate on the stream but Ela's binoboosts look way faster than when I was trying it earlier. Wonder if it's affected by equip load.

I don't know how these guys do this. Offer an entertaining stream, while moderating/maintaining your community at the same time.
I've often wondered how they interact with the chat stream, do they just read it like everybody else I guess on a second screen, or do they have some sort of speech software to read it to them?

Yes, I'm that stupid.

UrbanRats

Beaten
Nashandra
with my second roll, time for some Fashion Souls:

First and second characters, in their final forms before (or slightly after, in the case of Cletus) going into NG+:

iogO4xDBb31bs.png

Cletus is even too stupid to be wearing that hood effectively, but no fucks given.

Aurongel

Uhh, is the
Guardian Dragon
at the end of the Keep bugged to hell or something? The first time I fought him, he never landed for more than (no joke) 2 seconds at a time as I ran around his arena for 15 minutes trying to figure out the puzzle to get him to land. He ended up killing me with a AOE attack that hit me four times in a row. On my second attempt, I ran up to him and wailed on his left leg for about 80 seconds and killed him without being hit once and he never left the ground.

Did I cheese this guy on accident or something? lol

zkylon

zkylewd
sunbro'd through the gargoyles to get the ring

i don't like this fight at all, i hate this kind of bosses

also blue banana whoever you are, you're a true gentleman. we had a honorable duel and you patiently waited for me to kill the first scumbag bellbro that was trying to be cheeky and lagstab me. you let me clear our little arena and heal. you worked for your titanite chunk and you deserved it, you're a rolemodel to us all.

Minamu

^^ Skipping the entire No Man's Wharf thanks to an arrow to the ship bell was an amazing discovery I've never seen before.

Riposte

Haha, she did that in Iron Keep in front of the Smelter Demon... I was like "noooooo!", then I realized she landed on a platform below and had to walk her all the way back, pissing myself. Wasn't even worth it in the end, since I didn't get the resolution of her storyline for one reason or another. Not sure actually.

eot

Banned
Fuck
ancient dragon!
FUCK IT!

Easymode strategy
Run to his hind legs and jam yourself between the toes. That will trigger a stomp attack, when he moves his foot immediately run to the other side and do the same thing. If you keep holding forward you can stay between the toes even as he adjusts them a bit.

Top Bottom