• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Definitely the pants on the right. You can use the extra weight to put another weapon or shield in your right or left hand slots.

Someone please recommend me a (SL150 viable in PVP) build which I can use to role play as a Mongolian war chief.

A bow is obvious but fitting melee weapons are scarce.

Yeah i heard. Im at the end with both characters but i havent made up my mind if i want that kind of PvP which awaits me at the other side (in NG+) after reading about it here and in other places.

:(

NG+ PVP isn't completely terrible, I found anything under ~12 million soul memory to be a lot of fun. Once I hit that level and above it turned real bad real fast though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Fashion souls advice.

Which pants?:

right one. chainmail skirt looks too much for that ensemble

No bio infinite at all, (MASSIVE global interpretation spoiler)
I guess very few understand the general vision of DkS1&2: Lordran/Drangleic is a place that constantly dies and arises again, with different names, different people and different stories, and at the center of it all is the curse, that is, the fact that all the living beings have their living force in the primordial souls (humans in particular are born from the Dark Soul) and those souls gradually fade away, making the world enter in a age of dark, where all the beings are hollow and there's no life; but then, from the dark, the flames ignite again and the cycle starts over; the throne of want, that is, the throne of "need", represents the need of the living beings to stay alive and not go hollow, and in the passage from DkS1 to DkS2 you don't have anymore those selfish "gods" that just want to extend their life by making a powerful undead burn itself in the first flame, but just and kingdom and actual people that don't want to end up hollow and search for a king that will sacrifice itself to keep them alive
. Of course
DkS2 story is more complex than that, much more complex than the relatively straightforward (in retrospect) story of DkS1, - for example, Vendrick tried to undo the curse in some way - but the point is that every living being will eventually be subjected to the curse and will become hollow, and either a powerful being sacrifices itself to temporally reverse that degradation, or another age of dark begins (the "dark" ending of DkS1) until the flames arise again, and in this cycle the ashes of powerful heroes who sacrificed themselves remain the land, to be found in DkS2 (Sublime Bone Dust).
i dunno why you say it's not like bio infinite (i don't mean it as a negative thing by the way)

there's always a city, always a lighthouse, always a man, etc.

and there's always a king, always 4 great souls, etc.

It means like a flower bed, from where the chaos grew.
ty

english sometimes fails me u know :p

Minamu

Wut.

Do we have some mathz on how many souls it would take to hit 800+ SL?

Cause that seems... nearly impossible for a game that came out only two months ago.
When you reach around 295k souls per level, the soul requirements phase themselves out a lot and you will always need close to 300k going forward. I think each increment is less than 1k forever after that. I think you reach 300k at maybe level 250+.

Why can't I hold all these Titanite Slabs?

(Seriously, I've gotten about 6 on my first playthrough so far, 3 or 4 of which were drops. I would be seriously lucky to ever get any Slab drops in DS1.)

You know, before I played the game I thought the whole "enemies stop respawning after being killed X number of times" thing was going to be awful. Now that I've actually played it, I think that it's actually a pretty brilliant system when combined with Bonfire Ascetics.

(Now if only Soul Memory wasn't so broken...)

Sullichin

It's so ridiculously easy to fix this too.

Hey From, are you listening? I have a fool proof way to keep your Soul Memory system, that was designed to prevents twinks, but keep PvP players from dealing with your shit system that encourages havel wizards.

NG = Soul Memory.

NG+ = Soul Level.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
How is this fool proof? Most of the same problems would still be true with this system. Still can't make a character to specifically coop a certain boss / invade certain areas. NG+ shouldn't be the only place where you can figure out the PVP requirements.

They should either use SM only for the first few areas or not at all. SM does not solve the griefing problem anyway. I say just get rid of it.

Minamu

Why can't I hold all these Titanite Slabs?

(Seriously, I've gotten about 6 on my first playthrough so far, 3 or 4 of which were drops. I would be seriously lucky to ever get any Slab drops in DS1.)
Around the game's midpoint, there're enemies that never ever despawn and therefore they drop infinite amounts of slabs ^^ Chunks are the hardest to find imho.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Why are there some black phantoms that respawn in NG+ and some that don't? Fuck you From, I killed those guys I shouldn't have to deal with this shit again... -__-

Wow, that was more one sided that I thought it'd be, wanderers it is. Thanks for the votes.

COVER YOUR SHAME

He is, why do you think he's wearing a full cover helm?
God I wish we could remake faces ingame

Definitely the pants on the right. You can use the extra weight to put another weapon or shield in your right or left hand slots.

Does he look like a bitch?

Neither get knights or Alva legs.

I was actually using Alva before and imo it didn't mesh will. Knight matches well, but the kneepads look too plasticy for me. The rogue legs looked okay too, but far too skinny.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Okay, finished the main game, now just gotta tie up loose ends: Vendrick, Ancient Dragon & DarkLurker. Aside from that, snatching all the armor I can. Throne Watcher's is awesome. Her shield is my main one now--I still can't tell if the bell chime kicks in to let you know if an attack is parriable or not. Regardless, super light and parries are smooth plus solid protection all around. I can deal with 95% physical damage reduction for everything else being so high.

I also began farming for Heide Knight armor, using ascetics where needed. So far got the gauntlets and chain mail. Come on, leggings!

i dunno why you say it's not like bio infinite (i don't mean it as a negative thing by the way)

there's always a city, always a lighthouse, always a man, etc.

and there's always a king, always 4 great souls, etc.

ty

english sometimes fails me u know :p
The way I see it, there are two differences:

1) those concepts in Bioshock Infinite (
always a city, always a lighthouse, always a man
) are arbitrary and unexplained, while in Dark Souls they're perfectly explainable, in fact the
"want", which is, the want to live free and don't turn into a mindless zombie, is a actually physical plot device
;

2) Bioshock Infinite
, and the whole Bioshock series, juggles with the concept of choices and the multiple dimensions resulting from them, and the fact that there is a possibility to travel between these dimensions (resulting in some pretty confusing concessions to the story, sometimes) while the world of Dark Souls is linear, there is only one story, that has a very precise beginning and goes on and on in way that's different in the details but similar at the core.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah it's pretty awesome. Don't underestimate the power of the shield!
Okay, finished the main game, now just gotta tie up loose ends: Vendrick, Ancient Dragon & DarkLurker. Aside from that, snatching all the armor I can. Throne Watcher's is awesome. Her shield is my main one now--I still can't tell if the bell chime kicks in to let you know if an attack is parriable or not. Regardless, super light and parries are smooth plus solid protection all around. I can deal with 95% physical damage reduction for everything else being so high.

I also began farming for Heide Knight armor, using ascetics where needed. So far got the gauntlets and chain mail. Come on, leggings!
Yep. That's why I love it. Awesome looking, lightweight shield with solid protection. Also if you infuse it with lightning, it can eat lightning spears all day.

I heard questions in the air, so I followed to this forgotten land

Whoa whoa whoa, that cat in the town is like a fucking lore machine.

So when I first started the game I was under the impression it was a prequel due to the early speculation about fire magic being in the game, something which didn't exist in Dark Souls.

It wasn't soon after I started the game I figured out it takes place after Dark Souls, which raises a lot of questions about the abyss and all that junk
(Which was spoiled that it's in the game from someone, which kinda pisses me off, but oh well.)

So this cat thing, she mentions that the Lost Sinner was an old fool who tried to rekindle the first flame. Now I know that's not Gwyn, because he's dead, but could it be our player from the first game?

Well dont take this game as a direct secuel of the first one because they surely take a lot of references to make DS2 and make a lot of nonsense in the lore

Take in mind this DS2 events are in another land and most of the stuff there have no conection to DS1.

The sinner was one of the owners of the primodial flames along with the other 3 old ones so they were defeated by vendrink and lost their flames.

Straid said not only the cursed were captured and send to the bastille but everyone who was dangerous or repulsive was put there too, The sinner was a in fact a pyromancer using the primordial flame power then The cat establized The sinner wanted to reignite the age of fire in that region so they wont be cursed for a time but She was sent to the bastille before she would be able to try it.

In game she was tortured in her own special cell, she didnt react to your cursed presence like the other old ones but the insect did it and make the Sinner went berserker because she was in fact innoncent all the time and wanted to use her flame to extent the age of fire.

There is a random fact about Straid saying The original witch, keeper of the first flame in a distant land rebeled against the god of cinder but then he quicky debunked his own theory about that

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Things I wish they change in the next patch/balance:

- Make scaling calculated off the current upgrade level rather than base level (some weapons eventually need to have scaling readjust)
- Decrease the medium roll to 50% equip load and the others to 35%, 25%...
- Power stance Avelyn no more/increase the time necessary to reload bolts.
- Nerf the Monastery Scimitar
- Make repairing cost for the rings of protection scale with your level

and of course remove SM matchmaking, at least from NG+ onward.

Other less priority changes:

- Fix the BK weapons. That BK Great Axe goddammit u_u
- Remove the possibility of healing through items in the arenas
- Make slash weapons effective against more enemies
- Show weapons/armor stat and bonus gained from scaling in the item container/menu/blacksmith
I agree with all of the above.

Regarding Soul Memory I think I'd remove it for coop entirely. It's okay to prevent twink invasions in NG, I would keep it just for that, but it has no place affecting coop.

I'd also make it that you get souls by successfully invading as a Blue Sentinel (otherwise you gotta farm to buy more orbs) or you can get an infinite invasion orb in NG+. And you shouldn't have to spend tokens to use the Blue Sentinel arena. Way to make that covenant even more irrelevant than the Blades of Darkmoon, From...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I wish we knew more about Straid. He is pretty mysterious and cool. Also I recognized his voice as the same as Frampt/Kaathe immediately.

Mistel

Banned
The "normal" stone soldiers?
They dropped the shield so I guess they can drop too the gloves... (otherwise I have no idea)
Yes that is who drops only the gloves.
I was actually using Alva before and imo it didn't mesh will. Knight matches well, but the kneepads look too plasticy for me. The rogue legs looked okay too, but far too skinny.
The only things I can think that might go are Pate's trousers and Imperious leggings.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Btw, who is Felkin again? The guy in Aldia's Keep (yes, that guy), wanted me to go find him, but I had the feather on me from the Herald so after I talked to him some more he settled on that instead. After that, he was open for business. Do you get something else for doing all of the quest? I got him the stuff from Gilligan and Cale before that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Btw, who is Felkin again? The guy in Aldia's Keep (yes, that guy), wanted me to go find him, but I had the feather on me from the Herald so after I talked to him some more he settled on that instead. After that, he was open for business. Do you get something else for doing all of the quest? I got him the stuff from Gilligan and Cale before that.

He's the Dark fetishist on the way to Hunstman's Copse from Majula.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He won't ask for the feather until he saw Felkin's item, but that item can be found without Felkin, you probably had it on you (he wants
the Sunset Staff, Felkin gives it to you if you have certain stats, but you also find one in a chest in Aldia itself
and it satisfied him.

NEO0MJ

There is a random fact about Straid saying The original witch, keeper of the first flame in a distant land rebeled against the god of cinder but then he quicky debunked his own theory about that

In the original Dark Souls the Witch of Izalith did turn on Gwyn after her attempt to recreate the first flame wen't wrong and a war waged between her Demons and Gwyn's Knights.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Cross posting because this video is fucking great.
And I just checked this video... I think that's the best Dark Souls "trolling" PvP video ever. The use of captions, music, etc. is just really well made, and the hiding is clever.

Something I don't get though... in Dark Souls 2, doesn't the player's name show up above his head? Or not for arbiter spirits? Because in the Belfry and I'm pretty sure as a red invader, when you're close in range of the host you see his name, so... :S

And I just checked this video... I think that's the best Dark Souls "trolling" PvP video ever. The use of captions, music, etc. is just really well made, and the hiding is clever.

Something I don't get though... in Dark Souls 2, doesn't the player's name show up above his head? Or not for arbiter spirits? Because in the Belfry and I'm pretty sure as a red invader, when you're close in range of the host you see his name, so... :S

I thought the name only appears above the head for allies.

Also, I think my favorite DS trolling video so far is the "Pet Hacker" one.

In Dark Souls 1, yes, but I'm 99% sure I've seen it over hosts's heads in PvP too, in the Belfries and even as a red invader...

Edit: talking about PS3 version, maybe it's different on PC?

Hm...I haven't done a lot of PVP, I just know that when I've been in the Belfries I could see another invader's name, but not the host's name. I haven't done any cracked red eye orb invasions, though, so that may be different.

Or maybe my memory is faulty. I'll have to load it up later and check.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As an invader you see the names of allied invaders with the HP bar to the left of your screen, much like you see phantoms's HP bars on the left. But when you are in range of the PvP enemy you can see their name over their head. I noticed that because you couldn't do that in the previous games.

HoosTrax

Does anyone know of a good guide for crafting the Black Dragon Set?
I'm not sure what you're asking for here. You just need to obtain 20 Dragon Scales, then you turn them into the Dragon Remnants covenant leader for two non-consumable items that, when used, put a set of Black Dragon armor on your body, temporarily replacing what you were previously wearing. One of the items is for the helm, the other is for the other three pieces. The armor is not removable except upon death. It is also non-upgradeable.

As for getting the 20 Dragon Scales:
a) PVP while a member of the Dragon Remnants and putting down the Eye of Sauron summon thingy
b) ascetic on the second Aldia bonfire to fight Guardian Dragon, then getting the Scale after the boss room
c) ascetic on Dragon Shrine and farming them from Black Dragon warriors on the long staircase

zkylon

zkylewd
The way I see it, there are two differences:

1) those concepts in Bioshock Infinite (
always a city, always a lighthouse, always a man
) are arbitrary and unexplained, while in Dark Souls they're perfectly explainable, in fact the
"want", which is, the want to live free and don't turn into a mindless zombie, is a actually physical plot device
;

2) Bioshock Infinite
, and the whole Bioshock series, juggles with the concept of choices and the multiple dimensions resulting from them, and the fact that there is a possibility to travel between these dimensions (resulting in some pretty confusing concessions to the story, sometimes) while the world of Dark Souls is linear, there is only one story, that has a very precise beginning and goes on and on in way that's different in the details but similar at the core.

well i don't mean it's 1:1 the same but
dks2 further empathizes this "cycle" thing with the dark and linking the fire and such to the point it reminded me of bio infinite.

Soulhouf

Wouldn't that negativley effect people with heavier strength weapons?

Not really. Just wear lighter armor.
Big strength weapons are so much more effective right now than dex, so that's not a big deal.

My point is with OP equipment such as Havel which offer so much defense you should never be able to mid roll without sacrificing something important and heavily investing in vitality.

Top Bottom