• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
So, is there any way to easily transfer weapons between accounts?
Like Claptrap's secret stash in Borderlands 2? No there isn't you would need someone in range of both characters to co-op to trade the item.

I thought it was common knowledge that durability was binded to frame rate for the PC version.

TnK

Can someone please explain to me why damage fluctuates on the same enemies? Sometimes I do 700 damage per hit, and then sometimes I do 600 with the same hit, on the same spot. Shrine of Amana's spellcasters sometimes die with one hit, and sometimes with two. Really random, and destroys the flow causing problems.

Can someone please explain to me why damage fluctuates on the same enemies? Sometimes I do 700 damage per hit, and then sometimes I do 600 with the same hit, on the same spot. Shrine of Amana's spellcasters sometimes die with one hit, and sometimes with two. Really random, and destroys the flow causing problems.

Successive hits of the same type do less damage, and there is some kind of "weapon length" modifier, like if you hit with just the tip of your sword instead of the full blade, you deal less damage.

TnK

Successive hits of the same type do less damage, and there is some kind of "weapon length" modifier, like if you hit with just the tip of your sword instead of the full blade, you deal less damage.

I am only doing it in a single hit. The first hit damage is constantly changing. Same position and not the tip as well.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but have you guys seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVrlwnYkRMI

Basically, at 60FPS weapons degrade twice as fast, and enemy animations play twice as quickly (making dodging and criticals harder).

From, please...

The sad thing is that even Dark Souls 1 didn't have this many issues with 60 FPS, and the game wasn't even designed to support it. DS2 was supposed to be a PC game from the start, but even 60 FPS was messed up.

StormTrooper, the weapon durability was well known, but I had no idea about the enemy animations being faster.

TnK

OK, screw this hitbox bullshit. Seems like this is the reason why my hits are so messed up. Up close to a spell caster, to direct swings from big ass sword, and 0 damage. SMH.

EasyMode

Counter Attacks? Some weapons do more damage if you interrupt an enemy's attack.

onionfrog

Basically, at 60FPS weapons degrade twice as fast, and enemy animations play twice as quickly (making dodging and criticals harder).
Enemies attack twice as fast at 60fps? wtf
I mean, I knew about the weapon degradation but this is ridiculous.

That being said, I will try fighting the Rotten during my SL1 run at 30fps and see if it makes the fight any more manageable. :p

Mistel

Banned
StormTrooper, the weapon durability was well known, but I had no idea about the enemy animations being faster.
That's a very odd decision they made with that then.
There's a ring that keeps your max health at 80% at all times. I'd use that instead of constantly consuming effigies.
That's what they are getting I believe and the ring of binding caps at 75%.
Saw this in the Funny thread OT. Dark Souls 2 Trolling.

That is hilarious. And a ingenious idea.
It's great fun everyone just walks straight past you without even checking.

onionfrog

Finally playing this. Fuck the ruined sentinels, impossible with half health. Where's the best place to get effigies?
Tips:
-You can fight the first sentinel on the platform where you land in the boss arena.
-Once you've killed the first you can wait for the second one to jump up on to the platform.
-You may not be able to kill the second before the third joins in. Then you drop down to the main arena and try to finish off the one you've damaged first. (Keeping your camera positioned so that you can see them both and attack sparingly when you get a clean opening

TnK

Counter Attacks? Some weapons do more damage if you interrupt an enemy's attack.
You know, I was actually thinking this may be the reason at times, but when the hitbox issue popped up. Seems like a combination of both.

Wow, this is some SERIOUS bullshit.

Shrine of Amana is the hardest area in the entire game....

You can't move properly, and one hit from those projectiles take away almost 50% of my health.

So does anyone know why the coffin in the starting area changes your character's gender?

Lore behind this?

Looks like one of the coffins of the rat covenant become stranded and reached the coast and maybe the user was eaten by the ciclops there because he is facing to the coffin but it could be a reused asset from DS1, they do it a lot in further areas.

Also the ciclops partner was taking a piss

So does anyone know why the coffin in the starting area changes your character's gender?
Because of the curse of the old witch of.... Nah, I have no idea. Probably just an addendum to the respec idea with the Soul Vessel.

If it's the same animation from the first game, I guess they just thought it was a cute and easy way to put it in the game.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's there just to serve that purpose, also joke about changing the "Thing's Betwixt" your legs. I highly doubt it has a lore reason attached. I really wish it let you change your appearance though (re-choose hair and facial settings), that would be awesome.

zkylon

zkylewd
so what do the engraved gauntlets really do? just critical hit like more damage or does it trigger like a special animation or something?

Finally playing this. Fuck the ruined sentinels, impossible with half health. Where's the best place to get effigies?

Don't worry about effigies, just drop your large summon sign and help someone with the boss. If you win, you'll return human..plus you get some idea how to fight the boss.

I finally got around to trying out the twinblade - started a new character, got it asap and leveled up to use (I've never put so many points into STR/DEX before, lol). Aaaaand, I hate it. I had to use 3 repair powders in between Undead Lockaway bonfire and the Skeleton Lords. So, yeah back to anything other than the twinblade. Yuck.

Mistel

Banned
I finally got around to trying out the twinblade - started a new character, got it asap and leveled up to use (I've never put so many points into STR/DEX before, lol). Aaaaand, I hate it. I had to use 3 repair powders in between Undead Lockaway bonfire and the Skeleton Lords. So, yeah back to anything other than the twinblade. Yuck.
I only use my red iron twinblade with a bracing knuckle ring as it drops very fast. But that attacks speed with it and the B strength scaling is very good shame you get it so late into the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think twinblades are like a pvp or boss-exclusive weapon or something

i've seen people one shot bosses with that thing

also i discovered yesterday that two handed l2 with the defender greatsword does like a sunlight blade on it. holy shit that sword is awesome

Xeroblade

Funny, I found the roll dodging smoother and the reposte's easier to do. But since the pc release I have yet to go back to my ps3 characters to finish the game on there. I'm sure I'd experience this then.

garath

So I found the sunbro covenant. I was bluebro for awhile. What am I doing with this covenant? Just dropping my sign to help for boss battles and stuff? I was thinking about doing that for some of the earlier bosses to help out and get myself some souls anyways.

Xeroblade

So I found the sunbro covenant. I was bluebro for awhile. What am I doing with this covenant? Just dropping my sign to help for boss battles and stuff? I was thinking about doing that for some of the earlier bosses to help out and get myself some souls anyways.

Basically yes. When you help someone successfully, you get a sun medal. You then offer those to the sunbro statue and begin to level up.

zkylon

zkylewd

yup, that's all you do

it's an easy covenant to max out too. no 500 invasions like blue sentinels

Mistel

Banned
Once leveled up it offers a sunlight parma, sun sword, and sunlight spear all for 30 sun medals it's very fast to do. Giving them in takes a while as there's no give X amount option.

Levito

Banned
It's there just to serve that purpose, also joke about changing the "Thing's Betwixt" your legs. I highly doubt it has a lore reason attached. I really wish it let you change your appearance though (re-choose hair and facial settings), that would be awesome.

Same here, I'd like to play as a female character but I made my character look like Geralt from The Witcher series, looks ridiculous as a female. haha

Also don't really want to start a new character cause I'd rather mov eon to new game plus.

Soulhouf

I've taken it upon myself to make the The Gutter infinitely more scary by invading people there.
edit: It's also very hard for invaders and sentinels to make it back to the 1st bonfire from the 2nd half of the stage. Not to mention how easy it is to simply hide from them in the dark.
edit2:.....annnnnd the sentinel that was looking for me as I typed this post just dropped to his death. LOL

In all my playthroughs I've been invaded exactly 7 times in the Gutter and all these invaders fell to their death.
I didn't try myself yet but it doesn't look like a fun place to invade.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just entered
the Dragon Aerie.
Them
dragons are huge! They're dissapointingly easy, though. Roll under the flames, smash 'em, walk back, repeat.
Pretty nice, big area. :)
Shrine of Amana is the hardest area in the entire game....
Seriously?
It's a lure-a-thon, sure, but besides that it ain't that bad. You know you can roll while aimin your bow, right?

RedSwirl

You might even be able to bypass it with a SM of 1 million. Just go to the shrine of winter.

Already did. I was not quite ready for Drangleic Castle. I need to go through this whole path anyway because this seems to be where most of the titanite in the game is.

If you have Strike weapons upgraded well, then you will breeze through it. Slash weapons have a rough time there. You are overleveled for a good bit though, so nothing should be terribly challenging.

Doesn't seem like it. I've run through this whole thing so far with a Scimitar +10 and a Rapier as backup.

Mistel

Banned
It's a lure-a-thon, sure, but besides that it ain't that bad. You know you can roll while aimin your bow, right?
They are a melee character.
Already did. I was not quite ready for Drangleic Castle. I need to go through this whole path anyway because this seems to be where most of the titanite in the game is.
Yes after the boss is done Chloanne sells infinite titanite shards.

Minamu

Yeah. My jaw pretty much dropped. I was like "why is he bothering with a bow? Taking the time to equip it?" Then saw him do that. Wow.

The first time I saw speed runners parry and ballista the pursuer ranks up there too. And watching the dragonrider go down the hole was an "ah ha" moment for me too lol. I pretty much fought all the bosses straight up (except the Sentinels. I cheesed the hell out of that). Didn't even know you could do this stuff.
Yeah how he beats Pursuer is beautiful. Haven't tried the Dragonrider trick yet, not like he's very difficult anyway :)

Saw this in the Funny thread OT. Dark Souls 2 Trolling.

That is hilarious. And a ingenious idea.
There's a funny thread OT? Wut?

Can you believe that the twinblade's durability was also buffed in a recent patch? :)

Well, I can finally announce that I've joined the Platinum club! Dark Souls 1 on Steam not included but all achievements there as well.
10308249_707995365927389_1186116520655056647_n.jpg

Finished my NG++ no bonfire run today, that was a piece of cake, really. I intended to be a SunBro to more easily find coop partners, but I forgot about it and a bit too hastily jumped into NG++ slightly unprepared item wise. But I decided to go with Way of Blue instead since I wanted to play online. I think I died maybe 15 times in total, a couple of times in pvp but blue Sentinels saved me at least five times which was awesome to experience. I also noticed that there's really no point in NOT activating every bonfire you come across, especially online. Why? Because even if you screw up in like the Aerie or Undead Crypt, the Aged Feather will always teleport you to Things Betwixt, making backtracking quite easy. Seems Things Betwixt act as a freely activated "bonfire" as long as you don't sit at any other sites. I did screw up by going to the Memory of Jeigh before I remembered I had to go to Aldia's -> Dragon Shrine to get the heart, but I managed to beat the Giant Lord on my first try thanks to GRS and a couple of speed running tricks from yesterday's video :D Unfortunately I made the stupid decision to not use the silver serpent ring+2, as I thought I'd get my 2M for Shrine of Winter fairly quickly anyway. But nope, I ended up speeed running for all grand souls and still found myself a few 100k short. So I think the ring is useful if anyone wants to try this and be done quickly. But a few grand souls you still need to get, so you'll find souls to begin with. Having coop partners sure helped a ton, but also drained away 25% from each boss fight I suppose.

I used around 30 amber herbs in total. Mostly because I wanted the Dark Weapon buff on my Santier's Spear. Buying 99 is a good idea, but not really needed I think. Perhaps if you're pure spells. 99 repair powders was a really bad investment, because of the spear :lol Only used 2 or 3 for the other equipments.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
God damn strike weapons are ridiculous. I upgraded a reinforced club to +10 and it just DESTROYS armored enemies even in NG+, I bet two-handed it would 2-shot in New Game. I think I'll keep it in my off-hand for switching out against big guys alongside my Sun Sword.

Top Bottom