• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

zkylon

zkylewd
Whats wrong with the open area outside of cardinal tower where the pursuer drops in? You have so much more space to move around. but i guess the bonfire helps out too, didnt think of that.

there's probably some arbitraryness to it, like the sl120 thingie, but if a lot of people agreed to it there must be some convenience/reason to it

i've seen lots of signs near cardinal tower, central drangleic and dragon aerie too, so maybe the jury's still out

Finalow

wait, what?

how am I supposed to "grind" the blue sentinels covenant if Token of Fidelty isn't given to you after you do a successful invasion as bp? Only by buying the orbs for 10k each or co-op in order to get one token? This is fucking bullshit, why couldn't it be like the bloodbros covenant.

AngryMoth

wait, what?

how am I supposed to "grind" the blue sentinels covenant if Token of Fidelty isn't given to you after you do a successful invasion as bp? I should buy the orbs for 10k each? I should do co-op for only one token? This is fucking bullshit, why couldn't it be like the bloodbros covenant.
Agree, shouldn't cost a token to duel or you should get a token as a reward for a successful invasion. But alas. Just farm giant lord a few times so you can buy 99.

Xeroblade

wait, what?

how am I supposed to "grind" the blue sentinels covenant if Token of Fidelty isn't given to you after you do a successful invasion as bp? Only by buying the orbs for 10k each or co-op in order to get one token? This is fucking bullshit, why couldn't it be like the bloodbros covenant.

I agree with this. To add to it, I also think we should be able to buy blue and red orbs in New Game instead of NG+. Because well, Soul Memory.

HoosTrax

Time for Fashion Souls of another kind -- how many of you guys got in on that Qwertee sale a few weeks ago? I got my order today and I think they turned out pretty well.

CCjZIAD.jpg
tcLCqcU.jpg
hheutKe.jpg

(they threw in the packet of Haribo gummies as a bonus)

---

Btw, DS1 is the Steam weekend deal. They need to hurry up and add Steam achievements and tear the GFWL guts out of it so I can play through it again.

Xeroblade

Time for Fashion Souls of another kind -- how many of you guys got in on that Qwertee sale a few weeks ago? I got my order today and I think they turned out pretty well.

(they threw in the packet of Haribo gummies as a bonus)

---

Btw, DS1 is the Steam weekend deal. They need to hurry up and add Steam achievements and tear the GFWL guts out of it so I can play through it again.

Very nice! Both look pretty darn cool! Also is there a date on when they were going to add Steam achievements to DS1?

Mistel

Banned
Agree, shouldn't cost a token to duel or you should get a token as a reward for a successful invasion. But alas. Just farm giant lord a few times so you can buy 99.
It's odd that they didn't make it work the same as the blood cult does. Or reward people for for successful arbitration.

HoosTrax

Is it bad if I say no to navalaan in aldia's keep?
This is not the game to be developing a conscience :p

Very nice! Both look pretty darn cool! Also is there a date on when they were going to add Steam achievements to DS1?
No, and in fact we don't know that they'll be changing it from GFWL to Steamworks at all, but it would seem like the most logical route, considering DS2 is Steamworks and one of Bamco's other games (Ace Combat) recently got ported from GFWL to Steamworks.

AngryMoth

It's odd that they didn't make it work the same as the blood cult does. Or reward people for for successful arbitration.
IIRC Titchy Gren has a line about tokens of spite that implies that you need them to duel so I guess blood bros worked the same way at some point but they changed it (thank god).

TnK

Nothing bad happens just by saying no. But there isn't a reason not to do his quest provided you do it a certain way.
Good to know that.

Aw cmon man, don't go guessing that I never had a conscience to begin with, that hurts =(
I am asking because I don't want him to go on a killing spree vs other NPCs like in Demon's Souls.

zkylon

zkylewd
hear him out

(mild spoilers for his quest)
bizarrely enough there's a way to do his assassination quest without killing anyone. it's not even complicated or anything, just takes longer. i did it without a guide so it's not some super obscure shit

Mistel

Banned
IIRC Titchy Gren has a line about tokens of spite that implies that you need them to duel so I guess blood bros worked the same way at some point but they changed it (thank god).
I wonder why they didn't again with the sentinels would have worked far better to do so.
cmon man, don't go guessing that I never had a conscience to begin with, that hurts =(
Think of all the fun you could have if you didn't...

Xeroblade

No, and in fact we don't know that they'll be changing it from GFWL to Steamworks at all, but it would seem like the most logical route, considering DS2 is Steamworks and one of Bamco's other games (Ace Combat) recently got ported from GFWL to Steamworks.

Ah makes sense.

my guess is never, dks1 on pc was a big fuckup i'm sure bamco+from just want to leave behind and never look back

please dont fill me with despair!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Now I feel better about never parrying anyone. Thanks for not knowing how to program, From. 60 fps shouldn't make the game more difficult.

Finalow

I agree with this. To add to it, I also think we should be able to buy blue and red orbs in New Game instead of NG+. Because well, Soul Memory.
oh, I didn't even know that you couldn't buy them in ng. awful.

yes the best idea would have been no token for duels.
I can farm the giant lord but I also don't like the idea of my soul memory getting super high 'cause of that, I'm gonna duel people at sl 250 while I stay at 150. (based soul memory)
I guess I could do it for a couple of times though.

TnK

hear him out

(mild spoilers for his quest)
bizarrely enough there's a way to do his assassination quest without killing anyone. it's not even complicated or anything, just takes longer. i did it without a guide so it's not some super obscure shit
OK, I actually would like some hints then. What are the rewards?
Think of all the fun you could have if you didn't...

Like?

elfinke

Is the PVP area still the bridge in Iron Keep? I just don't understand why.

Yep, though it can be pretty frustrating getting summoned into 2v1 fights and so forth - too many Dragon members, too. I much prefer the Dragon Aerie. My new poison build is my new favourite SL125/SM~2mil way to play DS2. It's just fantastic, with good variable playstyles, great psych-out ability, excellent pressure and wonderful damage. And it seems very few hosts carry Poison Moss in their quick use inventory, not that it matters much if they do.

Dropping a "I'm sorry!" stone and then doing the 'Have Mercy' gesture is never more rewarding than after ending a host who was frantically trying to use an Estus flask, despite having dropped a Lloyd's Talisman on their head at the start of the fight, lol. I hope I upset a few Havel chums last night, at least.

These speed runs are quite terrific to watch. Watching them dispose the RRV with Soul Appease is great, and that is to say nothing of the perfect first time 1-2 combo of parry-ballista the Pursuer.

zkylon

zkylewd
OK, I actually would like some hints then. What are the rewards?
ok, gonna try being vague cos that's kind of the fun

his assassination quests involve getting something from people as proof of you killing them, so you should look for other ways to get your targets to willingly give those items to you.

there's no "time" limit btw, so take your time, i've done this quest even after killing the last boss.

as for the reward, he gives you
his set and allows you to buy stuff from him like hexes and armor

Minamu

I found this too, I did so much prep stocking up on stuff and I barely used any. Which is why I thought that it would be fun and perfectly viable to do a no bonfire/no death run on NG and using simply the items you find along the way, plus the odd purchase (as they're limited at the start). Not that I'm going to do that, but I'd surely watch a video, lol :p

Congrats on the plats and no bonfire run :)
Thanks man, felt pretty good :) Of course, I had about three hours left of the game after the plat until I beat it for real. When I'm done with this character, I'm thinking of trying the sl1 style, never did the crazy stuff before. I'm sure there are many interesting videos on that and other runs. Lobosjr is doing a lot of strange stuff for example.

What dogs in Luna are you guys talking about? o_O

TnK

This was hilarious, thanks. Also, what a dick lol. The music choice is perfect, which also adds to the humor. Yoko Shimomura ftw <3
ok, gonna try being vague cos that's kind of the fun

his assassination quests involve getting something from people as proof of you killing them, so you should look for other ways to get your targets to willingly give those items to you.

there's no "time" limit btw, so take your time, i've done this quest even after killing the last boss.

as for the reward, he gives you
his set and allows you to buy stuff from him like hexes and armor

Hmmm, I should look into this then. Not that I need hexes or armor. This will be a fun side quest.

Why did people complain about this game being bad? I am enjoying it a lot, even though I find Demon's Souls to be the better game. I have not finished Dark Souls, but only played the first 10 hours of it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmmm, I should look into this then. Not that I need hexes or armor. This will be a fun side quest.
it's nothing too fancy, typical souls side quests, but i liked it

i wish souls games had more of these things, like the whole thing with pate and creighton and the scorpion man and all that

Why did people complain about this game being bad? I am enjoying it a lot, even though I find Demon's Souls to be the better game. I have not finished Dark Souls, but only played the first 10 hours of it.
well personally i think it's just not as good as the other two, even if it's very enjoyable.

whole game felt underdeveloped, like every boss and every area are too short or too simple or too easy. i also didn't care at all for the world being like a "fake demons souls" thing with barely any connection between areas

it's still a pretty good game, it was just weaker in areas i think are pretty key

so I know the consensus is that BellBro's suck, but I just ran through the Doors of Pharos and wow. RatBros are some pure dicks.

First guy just spammed poison clouds while the mastadon worked me. I imagine to kill him pretty quickly before the poison went through. Second guy tried to be a bitch and snipe me and eventually tried to drop down behind me and then estus chugged every time he got a chance. So annoying. Glad I'm done with those areas

zkylon

zkylewd
GOOD GOD the Darklurker fight is ridiculous as melee, I'm getting destroyed here.

it's not that bad, you just have to be patient and roll a lot

i did it on my first try but i imagine doing the dark place thingie over and over must be pretty annoying

zkylon

zkylewd
Where you melee or a caster/ranged character?

melee

only used sunlight blade on my rapier

i didn't fight her/him that many times to be able to hand tips or anything but i basically rolled and rolled until he/she did something predictable and got a couple hits, then just spam roll to dodge spells, etc. etc.

when he/she splits up i didn't use lock-on, try to have them both on screen at all times

i think it's an extra patience fight more than anything trying to bait the sword attack thingie

Riposte

Just beat Darklurker with nothing but a 2 hand sword. That was a good fight, probably best in the game. THERE IS NOTHING I CAN'T CUT. Think that just leaves the final boss.

Do you get sent to NG+ as soon as you beat the final boss or can you stay in NG?

Just beat Darklurker with nothing but a 2 hand sword. That was a good fight, probably best in the game. THERE IS NOTHING I CAN'T CUT. Think that just leaves the final boss.

Do you get sent to NG+ as soon as you beat the final boss or can you stay in NG?

no. You have to choose it from the Majula bonfire.

Riposte

btw didn't realize you could get invaded in there. That scared me while I was looking at my gear before the final plunge. The invader even takes on the unique black color. Wonder how he did that...

EDIT: oh, you just use an orb while inside. Turns you into an abyss spirit or w/e. People ain't having it though, since I got disconnected both times.

EDIT: While you are inside, the enemies attack you without them having to use that item. Me and this dude teamed up until it was just as and then went at like Double Dragon.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well yeah, one time isn't very many attempts, right? ;)
yup, i was actually scared of trying again since i had died a bunch of times on the road there and i thought i may ran out of effigies (silly me, had like 40 lol)

i think fast weapons like the rapier are super strong in this game because they don't make you commit too hard to attacking, even if you miss you're not stuck in a long swinging animation and you haven't wasted too much stamina

but like, i don't think melee is too bad this fight, you just need to keep track of them both, wait until they've blown their spells and get one or two hits. between running and fast rolling you shouldn't have too much trouble dodging their spells

Top Bottom