• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Z..

What the fuck is up with Smelter Demon? He's incredibly buggy! Fought him 5 times so far, 2 of which resulted in me getting stuck in the walls after dodging him and 4 of which included faulty hit detection. How the fuck do I get hit with his forward stab if I'm behind him, From? oO

(by the way, what a cheap fucking boss! 1 hit and you're stunlocked and inevitably die. How fair! I guess it's ok since he's so easy to dodge, but still, this kind of shit shouldn't fly)

eot

Banned
What the fuck is up with Smelter Demon? He's incredibly buggy! Fought him 5 times so far, 2 of which resulted in me getting stuck in the walls after dodging him and 4 of which included faulty hit detection. How the fuck do I get hit with his forward stab if I'm behind him, From? oO

(by the way, what a cheap fucking boss! 1 hit and you're stunlocked and inevitably die. How fair! I guess it's ok since he's so easy to dodge, but still, this kind of shit shouldn't fly)

It's very annoying, but I've heard that you can get out of it by doing a gesture that moves you forward. You can also try just blocking until you get unstuck.

^ lol

new weird item question:

how?

That one is easy, you have to enter the rat covenant area then go where is the covenant leader and follow the path then you have to descent using the tombs and then jump to get it so you can acces the Pit. It is supposed to be that way but with hight health or being a sorcerer can skip the rat covenant area easily

Z..

It's very annoying, but I've heard that you can get out of it by doing a gesture that moves you forward. You can also try just blocking until you get unstuck.

Oh, no, I've beaten him already, I was just pointing it out. Particularly buggy boss, is all.

Man, even though it's not as good as DeS and DaS 1, this game is still fucking awesome. I love ARPGs so much.
=D

By the way, holy shit, the pursuer comes back? Awesome! =D

zkylon

zkylewd
thanks for the tips guys, i've skipped that area for now but imma prolly try it again later

also tried the flamberge thing but it seems to be pretty useless in pve at least.

it's a cool weapon tho with quick animations and long reach, so imma use it for a while anyways. just killed the rotten with it and it faired ok

oh how i miss my lifehunt scythe T_T

Just got the Grand Lance and upgraded it to +10. The strong attack is really something, going to have some fun with this. Can't decide what to infuse it with though...

Mistel

Banned
Stone Twinblade. What's the consensus?
180 damage at max with A/D scaling only 120 durability so bracing knuckle rings are a must. Infuse it with poison or bleed to make use of the attacks speed. I prefer red rust to it because of the higher durability and the moveset.
Just got the Grand Lance and upgraded it to +10. The strong attack is really something, going to have some fun with this. Can't decide what to infuse it with though...
Lightning if you are a faith build.

zkylon

zkylewd
so i'm not sure, can you summon people even after killing all the bosses in the area?

i'm dumb and forgot grabbing the red thing after freja's

if not i'm just gonna ascetic it but it's the only thing i can think of why shrine of winter's still locked.

onionfrog

I might just ascetic Iron Keep and fight the old iron king again so that I can open the shrine of winter.

I don't think I can stand this Rotten fight at SL1. Shits too damn frustrating for all the wrong reasons. Thanks 6 ADP roll!

so i'm not sure, can you summon people even after killing all the bosses in the area?

i'm dumb and forgot grabbing the red thing after freja's

if not i'm just gonna ascetic it but it's the only thing i can think of why shrine of winter's still locked.

Yes, you can summon folks, but they may not be happy if the run ends in no boss, they lose durability and healing items and go back worse off. Just run through the area and get it. Equip silver cat ring to drop through the Web area.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yes, you can summon folks, but they may not be happy if the run ends in no boss, they lose durability and healing items and go back worse off. Just run through the area and get it. Equip silver cat ring to drop through the Web area.

i have arachnophobia pretty bad so i try and get a summon since that helps me go through it

i think i'm close to the soul memory requirement, i might try and farm a bit and see if i can bypass it that way

what's weird is that i have freja's soul, so i dunno what i'm missing

Mistel

Banned
I think i'm close to the soul memory requirement, i might try and farm a bit and see if i can bypass it that way
What play through are you on? The amount needed for the manual bypass increases by 1 million each play through until NG+7.
That doesn't count it needs to be embraced I believe before it will work.
Ya, I kinda figured that with my 50 FTH and all, but I've been chucking lightning spears for 2 playthroughs. Might be time to try something else... bah, who am I kidding. FTH all the way.
Go poison then if you want some thing different. Or even better yet get two and do a love train.

ibaSvcB3ZjWWI4.jpg

Nice pic. But those shoulders.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
i have arachnophobia pretty bad so i try and get a summon since that helps me go through it

i think i'm close to the soul memory requirement, i might try and farm a bit and see if i can bypass it that way

Try getting a Shade maybe? You can't summon a phantom if the boss is (or all the bosses are) dead, but you can still get Shades at any time.

zkylon

zkylewd
What play through are you on? The amount needed for the manual bypass increases by 1 million each play through until NG+7.
it's kinda weird, you apparently need 2 million on ng+ (which is what i'm at) and i have 5.663.276. i have a screenshot from things betwixt with 3.548.767. that's about 2.1m difference.

so i dunno if you have all four great souls but miss the red thing you become unable to open it using soul memory?

That doesn't count it needs to be embraced I believe before it will work.
yea i figured, i was in such a hurry to get the fuck away from there i forgot.

is there a lore reason for it? like
freja's isn't really a great soul so i always thought shrine of winter was actually related to lighting the primal bonfires rather than killing the bosses

Too bad there is no chest values to add to that poor lady

is there a lore reason for it? like
freja's isn't really a great soul so i always thought shrine of winter was actually related to lighting the primal bonfires rather than killing the bosses

You can use the summons of the small white soapstone people, thats the real use of that item to help you.

Lore wise you need great souls to make your soul being a greatsoul and be suitable to enter that area, Vendrik defeated the old ones and get their souls alongside with the giant souls also Nasshandra helped him with the use of Ooalice sorceries to conduct the souls to Vendrik souls.

The spiders swarmed that area and decided to live in the dragon corpse becuase it was the place were the great soul was hidden maybe by the dude of that area.

Mistel

Banned
it's kinda weird, you apparently need 2 million on ng+ (which is what i'm at) and i have 5.663.276. i have a screenshot from things betwixt with 3.548.767. that's about 2.1m difference.
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't open at all if you've the required 2 million.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Wow you are incredibly low level for someone who's made it all the way to Bob. Some people say the arena doesn't make use of SM matchmaking but I honestly doubt it. But otherwise, yeah it's governed by SM.

You leveled DEX a lot neglecting all the others stats, that's great if you manage to land a blow, but with the low AGI and HP, you might have a hard time evading magic attacks and long range weapons, so you'll die pretty easily.

I leveled up DEX thinking that I could have fun with
Richard
s Rapier, but it a terrible weapon without any buffs applied on it (or infusion).

For now I am having fun with a kind of ranger fallen down in hard times (in
BoB
PvP)
.imported clothing
wanderer
s boots

.a short bow
.two rapiers

zkylon

zkylewd
You can use the summons of the small white soapstone people, thats the real use of that item to help you.

Lore wise you need great souls to make your soul being a greatsoul and be suitable to enter that area, Vendrik defeated the old ones and get their souls alongside with the giant souls also Nasshandra helped him with the use of Ooalice sorceries to conduct the souls to Vendrik souls.

The spiders swarmed that area and decided to live in the dragon corpse becuase it was the place were the great soul was hidden maybe by the dude of that area.
you should maybe spoilertag that dude :p

the lore thing i was wondering about is why you have to manually embrace it rather than get it outright like with the other bosses. i'm guessin cos that dragon is actually seath and for some reason his soul hasn't been "absorbed" or whatever by freja, like nito's has by the rotten, lost sinner has with the witch of izalith, etc.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't open at all if you've the required 2 million.

weird

anyways i was struck by a sudden surge of courage and did it all solo

i got lucky when i fell on a couple spiderwebs and landed on the bottom with barely any damage so i just ran, grabbed the damn thing and aged feather'd out

i think grabbing the zwei for that run is what filled me with the manliness to get through it

Mistel

Banned
Stoooorm, I need your opinion:
Did someone say fashion souls? The black witch hat suits the lediya black robe so that's fine. The gloves the only thing I'm iffy on, I would suggest maybe either the desert sorceress gloves or manchettes of judgment instead of the black witch ones.

Gbraga

Did someone say fashion souls? The black witch hat suits the lediya black robe so that's fine. The gloves the only thing I'm iffy on, I would suggest maybe either the desert sorceress gloves or manchettes of judgment instead of the black witch ones.

The Desert Sorceress gloves are too big, I'll give the other one a try.

EDIT: I actually kinda like the Desert Sorceress gloves for this set now, hmm

Mistel

Banned
The Desert Sorceress gloves are too big, I'll give the other one a try.

EDIT: I actually kinda like the Desert Sorceress gloves for this set now, hmm
If you do ever change your mind about the gloves try either astrologists gloves or black leather ones they would also suit the outfit.

zkylon

zkylewd

this is the set i'm currently wearing: crown + peasant attire + engraved gauntlets + watcher boots

i call it undercover queen

for whenever you want to go unnoticed, but still carry an air of royalty

Finalow

I wouldn't say the monastery scimitar is broken just merely exploitable that's all.
as it is now, it really is broken.
you can pretty much parry and then backstab to avoid punishment if the parry failed. also it has more frames so i'd dare to say that it's EASY to parry with it.

Mistel

Banned
as it is now, it really is broken.
you can pretty much parry and then backstab to avoid punishment if the parry failed. also it has more frames so i'd dare to say that it's EASY to parry with it.
It's whole purpose is to parry everything that is able to be parried. What you do with it is broken because they changed the way it works so that's pretty much the only thing everyone uses.

You should see roll parrying...

zkylon

zkylewd
wow at some bullshit hitboxes with mirror knight phantoms

a guy was hitting me with the tiniest knife from half a screen away

guess it's back to restricted for me

does anyone know if seed of tree of giants works in this fight?

that might be fun to watch

Garcia

That's it. I got all achievements and completed my NG++ run. I'm done with the game; it's been a great ride, gentlemen. ~120 hours of fun. See you on the PC version of Project Beast!
A man can dream

zkylon

zkylewd
if you're gonna be ranged only or mostly ranged then you should try anything but miracles

miracles are mostly defensive stuff and buffs and using only lighting spears might get boring

That's it. I got all achievements and completed my NG++ run. I'm done with the game; it's been a great ride, gentlemen. ~120 hours of fun. See you on the PC version of Project Beast!
A man can dream

Congrats, gotta feel good. I hope to get there soon. Wow, 42M SM seems like a lot.

After much cursing, I've finally beaten the Rotten on my soul level one run!
Onwards to Drangleic Castle!

Cool, I wish I had that kind of resolve. An SL1 run is something I could never do. Good luck.

TheExodu5

Banned
if you're gonna be ranged only or mostly ranged then you should try anything but miracles

miracles are mostly defensive stuff and buffs and using only lighting spears might get boring

I'm not really bent on going range only. Maybe I'll try both to see how they work out. Lightning spear looks pretty damned cool.

Z..

Thinking of making a ranged character. Usually only melee.

Faith or Sorcery?

Go Dex Sorcerer spellsword for max ranged versatility.

Int and Dex mean you can kick ass at bows, sorcery AND melee. This is what I'm currently doing.

Dual wield for up close and personal, plus a staff in one hand and a bow in the other. Pretty fun and versatile.
If you plan on going shieldless, invest some points into adaptability for more i-frames and keep it light. Dex builds are awesome for dual wield.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not really bent on going range only. Maybe I'll try both to see how they work out. Lightning spear looks pretty damned cool.

yup, i went with dex+miracles (which is stupid cos all the good faith weapons scale better with str but whatever :p) and it's pretty cool. i do most things melee but have the lighting spears for an extra edge.

btw, have in mind that lighting spear is all but useless in pvp. i think some of the other spells might be a bit better like force and the one that shoots lighting everywhere but they're pretty low range and i dunno about the damage

Thinking of making a ranged character. Usually only melee.

Faith or Sorcery?

For a pure mage, Hex is best since you can dabble in all 3 if you want carrying a chime and staff. There is also a late game staff that casts all 3 types.

For a melee/mage hybrid, I find Str/FTH to be the best. Lightning infused STR weapons with the Miracle backup and lightning spear is deadly. Add in Sunlight blade and Sacred Oath (if you can afford it) for some monster damage.

Top Bottom