• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Z..

It lets you free up a ring slot so you dont need the ring of binding. And looking nice is a good enough reason.

Not using it. 50% HP is the true Demon's Souls!
=D
And the armor I'm wearing pretty much takes care of the looks part.

Well then, stop bitching about looking ugly as a hollow...

Not bitching, I hardly even notice, it was just an observation! ^^
All I meant was that DeS is superior in that regard. The beef jerky look is kinda pointless.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Aaaand credits!
ibnvNuC3EcCl8l.png

Took me around eighty hours, just as much as the original.
I've now "finished" all three Souls games in the last five months, good times. :)

Not starting NG+ yet. Buying some Pyromancy spells, finding new covenants and doing some jolly co-operation. Anyone who knows a good guide to see which quests i've missed?
Speaking of jolly co-operation, defeated
the Old Dragon-Slayer
as a sunbro within less then twenty seconds. Felt goood, especially since it took me forever to beat him solo when I just began playing. :p

I really liked the story, but man. If you've never played the previous game you're not going to understand anything. I like how it's connected to the original, but they went a bit too far for newcomers.

Durante

PROTIP:
Don't use 2 ascetics in Majula to get the Moonlight Butterfly armor set before you fight
Licia
. Hardest fight in the game for me.
On the other hand, Darklurker was incredibly easy for me.

Anyway, I'm on NG+ now, completed my first playthrough in almost exactly 100 hours.

Firebrand

I'm trying dex stuff, insisting on using some sort of spear (I'm leaning towards the Partizan). But the damage seems really disappointing, maybe it's poor positioning and not finding the sweet spot, but dex scaling doesn't seem to do a whole lot. For dex weapons in general, do you think it would be better to skip pumping points into dex and just infusing it with raw or an element?

Also getting sick of the Drangelic armor, but dang, those stats. I'll have to find the shards to upgrade Creighton's or Alva and maybe it'll end up a little bit closer.

Hayabusi

Also getting sick of the Drangelic armor, but dang, those stats. I'll have to find the shards to upgrade Creighton's or Alva and maybe it'll end up a little bit closer.

Yeah, I changed to Alva because it just looks too good. It is weaker than what I wore before, but didn't notice a lot of difference anyway..

Mistel

Banned
I'm trying dex stuff, insisting on using some sort of spear (I'm leaning towards the Partizan). But the damage seems really disappointing, maybe it's poor positioning and not finding the sweet spot, but dex scaling doesn't seem to do a whole lot. For dex weapons in general, do you think it would be better to skip pumping points into dex and just infusing it with raw or an element?

Partizan scaling does improve once upgraded. But if your thinking of making it into raw: 230 damage E/E scaling.

Spears all about finding a thrusting rhythm to make the most penetration. Drakekeeper shield or Pate's greatshield are also worth looking for.

Firebrand

Thanks, put a shards into the partizan but have yet to infuse it, with my current build at around 27 dex it already does be at or near the infusions in total number. Don't know if having an elemental weapon helps against heavy armor people though, I've already seen a couple of havels.

Unfortunately now that my gear is coming together a bit the assist summonings have stopped happening altogether and I don't really care for the arena much.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks, put a shards into the partizan but have yet to infuse it, with my current build at around 27 dex it already does be at or near the infusions in total number. Don't know if having an elemental weapon helps against heavy armor people though, I've already seen a couple of havels.

Unfortunately now that my gear is coming together a bit the assist summonings have stopped happening altogether and I don't really care for the arena much.
With that you should also look at Pate's spear it's pretty much an upsized winged spear that needs 11/27 required stats with E/B scaling. It loses 10 damage at max but has longer range and better scaling than a winged spear.

What's your SM?

Firebrand

Right now at 74 / 360K, have skipped a lot of stuff and only done the bosses I need to get the items I want.

I've got Pate's Spear (two of them actually) and while the sprinting attack is kinda funny I kinda missed not having an arced attack.

eot

Banned
Man, Velstadt is a great boss on SL1. You really have to time your rolls well with such low agility. Very satisfying to pull those off. I also somehow managed to do damage quickly enough that he skipped his buff which was weird.

That was the most fun fight in the game for me, after you clear out the room before him anyway.

Mistel

Banned
Right now at 74 / 360K, have skipped a lot of stuff and only done the bosses I need to get the items I want.

I've got Pate's Spear (two of them actually) and while the sprinting attack is kinda funny I kinda missed not having an arced attack.
Well that's why action is dying of your SM is most likely low for that area.

elfinke

As much as I enjoyed the Dark Fog poison build, it was time to move on tonight, as the compromises of that build were too apparent too often. I wanted something with more burst damage, like the pure mage MLGS build I had originally, though I wanted something a little different to being just another Staff of Wisdom+Hex+Lion Mage gear wearing chump... like this!

Whoops, that's an unfortunate upskirt of the former king... Here we are!

My new favourite SL125 build by far (now I just need SL PvP to matter!) GRS, Force (I'm amazed how underused this is in PvP), Great Magic Barrier, Lightning infused Defender's Great Sword +10, Lightning infused Disc Chime +10, Lightning Urns.

Combines everything I loved about being a mage, with everything I love about hitting things hard with a big stick. Also, I think it looks alright, even if Fashion Souls isn't really my thing (function > form when it comes to killing stuff, baby). Dragon Aerie PvP has been good to me tonight, on the whole.

Soulhouf

PROTIP:
Don't use 2 ascetics in Majula to get the Moonlight Butterfly armor set before you fight
Licia

Anyway, I'm on NG+ now, completed my first playthrough in almost exactly 100 hours.

Majula's bonfire was at +6 when I first fought her because I used it to farm effigies.
It was by far the hardest fight in the game.

Firebrand

Well that's why action is dying of your SM is most likely low for that area.
Yeah, I've never quite figured that out: I do get summoned to other areas I'm not in for both clang banging and police questing, but it seems it happens more frequently if I'm in that area like Lost Bastille for belfry etc (so much time spent hanging out with McDuff).

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I've never quite figured that out: I do get summoned to other areas I'm not in for both clang banging and police questing, but it seems it happens more frequently if I'm in that area like Lost Bastille for belfry etc (so much time spent hanging out with McDuff).
Bell keepers are auto summoned with the ring on. You are in range of those that trespass in the belfry so it summons you. But you aren't in range of those in the areas you are in most likely.

Firebrand

Well, I finally did get summoned as blue sentinel again, in the same area was in so maybe it does prioritize the host's location when matchmaking. But of course my partizan again did zero damage despite connecting, lol. :) Tempted to call teh haxx but latency is more likely, I'll have to figure out the distances.

PROTIP:
Licia

The irony is when you get the butterfly set, she is totally a joke. Don't even need a weapon, just bare fists + butterfly set.

Make sure you remove the set before talking to any npc. Otherwise, you will agro npcs unintentionally.
My blacksmith is a gravestone just because I forgot to remove the set.

Physalis

Neo Member
If you don't want to bother with buying the butter fly set, for whatever reason, using a Gyrm Greatshield against Licia helps against her WotG spam. I just blocked, circle-strafed, and back-stabbed a couple of times and she went down pretty easy.

If she tries healing, whack her and she'll spam WotG.

FAKE EDIT: Also, is it just me, or are a lot of the weapons in this game really bad? I ended up at end game with a +10 Mace, +10 Gyrm Greatshield, with fully-upgraded Archdrake Robes and wearing the invisible Auros gloves, helm, and boots.

If you don't want to bother with buying the butter fly set, for whatever reason, using a Gyrm Greatshield against Licia helps against her WotG spam. I just blocked, circle-strafed, and back-stabbed a couple of times and she went down pretty easy.

If she tries healing, whack her and she'll spam WotG.

FAKE EDIT: Also, is it just me, or are a lot of the weapons in this game really bad? I ended up at end game with a +10 Mace, +10 Gyrm Greatshield, with fully-upgraded Archdrake Robes and wearing the invisible Auros gloves, helm, and boots.
you talking about NG right?
Gyrm great shield does not offer much lightning protection. Wotg does 100% lightning damage. Best shield is rebels great shield infused with lightning

Mistel

Banned
I used the King's Shield when fighting Licia. Served me well against her WotG.
It has rather low lightning defense actually.
No it's just strike damage is the weakness for a majority of the enemies within the areas.

Anyone successfully farm a Blue Flame? I must have killed hundreds of those ghosts by now. I have 26 Faintstones (and I've used some) 21 Darkstones, and 56 of those troches from the zombies in there. I've burned through all my rusted coins, I'm wearing Jester's Cap, Prisoner's Tatters, and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +1. I don't know what else to do, and I'm losing my mind,

Anyone successfully farm a Blue Flame? I must have killed hundreds of those ghosts by now. I have 26 Faintstones (and I've used some) 21 Darkstones, and 56 of those troches from the zombies in there. I've burned through all my rusted coins, I'm wearing Jester's Cap, Prisoner's Tatters, and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +1. I don't know what else to do, and I'm losing my mind,

Ya, I usually get 2 per playthrough without any item find gear and not even trying to farm it. Seems odd you don't get the drop, but the RNG has done me wrong on other drops so....

Ya, I usually get 2 per playthrough without any item find gear and not even trying to farm it. Seems odd you don't get the drop, but the RNG has done me wrong on other drops so....

Oh my fucking god. You can only get one from each GHOST. AAAGHGHAGIDASLJNEFNEKFSDACILBN.

Fine whatever. Done now.

Wolff

I thought that summoning someone to fight prevented your game from being invaded or at least made it harder, guess it is not the case. I got invaded twice already in a short amount of time while fighting summoned red phantoms. At least i got a funny moment on the fist time it happened.

In the first one i summoned a red phantom, then went to take a look at another sign on the floor just to see the character and by mistake i ended up pressing the button and summoning him too. Luckly when the second guy game he stayed by the door watching me and the first guy fight, then out of nowhere i got invaded. Yes, with 2 red phantoms already in my game. The funny part is that the invader attacked me thinking the others would follow but they killed him instead for interrupting it. lol

In the other case someone invaded like 5 seconds after i already summoned a red phantom. Contrary to the first fight though they were not so nice and attacked together. At least now i have my first 2x1 victory. That felt incredibly satisfying.

Just 1 shot Veldenstat, another tick in a long line of disappointing DS2 bosses.

What's the point in having so many slow bosses?

Oh well, at least it's good for farming sunlight tokens or w/e.

On the other hand that
priest lady invasion
was pretty fun, them WoGs and heals.

LOL. Opened the door to
the room Ornifex is in, and immediately panicked. Too many bad memories of Painted World Harpies. Immediately smashed her face with my greatsword. A second later I noticed she wasn't attacking me. Luckily it seems I didn't do enough damage to aggro her...

This kind of stuff is why I love not reading guides beforehand.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So... I just encountered the Darklurker.
"He ain't that though", I thought.
And then he split in two...
Farming Human Effigy's for another shot at the boss is such a chore...
Anyone knows a good spot to do that?

Mistel

Banned
So... I just encountered the Darklurker.
"He ain't that though", I thought.
And then he split in two...
Farming Human Effigy's for another shot at the boss is such a chore...
Anyone knows a good spot to do that?
Crestfallen's retreat ascetic it ad infinitum for 5 effigies a go.

LOL. Opened the door to
the room Ornifex is in, and immediately panicked. Too many bad memories of Painted World Harpies. Immediately smashed her face with my greatsword. A second later I noticed she wasn't attacking me. Luckily it seems I didn't do enough damage to aggro her...

This kind of stuff is why I love not reading guides beforehand.

Any attack in previous Souls games would aggro, but in DS2 they give you a little forgiveness. Some may say it's casualization, but I think it's nice. You can even de-aggro with the pardoner if necessary. I am so paranoid about accidentally hitting NPC'S the game has trained me to take my fingers off triggers and grip the body of the controller when they are around. I remember someone back in the day lamenting they accidentally cast Wrath of God in the Nexus...

Any attack in previous Souls games would aggro, but in DS2 they give you a little forgiveness. Some may say it's casualization, but I think it's nice. You can even de-aggro with the pardoner if necessary. I am so paranoid about accidentally hitting NPC'S the game has trained me to take my fingers off triggers and grip the body of the controller when they are around. I remember someone back in the day lamenting they accidentally cast Wrath of God in the Nexus...

Yeah, I think it's nice that it's a bit harder to aggro NPCs. There were a lot of stories of people accidentally hitting Andre while talking to him in DS1, for instance...(since you could actually swing your weapon while during NPC dialogue in DS1, IIRC). A lot of people had no idea about Oswald, so just ended up killing the NPCs that aggroed on them. Which can screw you over pretty bad, especially with ones like Andre.

Top Bottom