• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

eot

Banned
Dark Chasm of Old as SL1 :((
Those black phantoms are so unforgiving to fight, having to pay an effigy each time is just evil.

2AdEPT

Finally killed
Throne Watcher / Defender
on my SL1 CoC melee only run. :| never again. Hardest fight in either game for me, with a possible exception for Manus. I still have
Darklurker
left though.

You may have a new winner!

Mistel

Banned
I'm not really bent on going range only. Maybe I'll try both to see how they work out. Lightning spear looks pretty damned cool.
I'd go strength/faith whilst raising dex to 25 allowing you to use every bow. Then with that sorted get an Alonne greatbow and infuse it with lightning, 182/182 damage with C/D/B scaling.Add in Durgo's hat(if you can stand that thing it doesn't match anything) and hawk ring for range extension effects.

Z..

Just realized... I'm 40 hours into the game and I've never used a single effigy. I've been hollow since that very first Ogre on Things Betwixt killed me!

(it bums me to no end that your character looks different when hollowed, I spent almost 30 mins getting it just right only to never "enjoy" it. DeS was so much better than both sequels in this regard)

Why? Do you get something for finishing the game at sl1?

Let me guess... you love achievements/trophies?

Finalow

It's whole purpose is to parry everything that is able to be parried. What you do with it is broken because they changed the way it works so that's pretty much the only thing everyone uses.

You should see roll parrying...
yes, and backstab or roll + parry it's pretty much the same thing with that weapon.

duels were already awful before this auto-parry free roll weapon. gg

oh, I also saw just now the binocular max speed glitch, amazing. time to wait for the next patch before playing again. FromSoft please patch this garbage, it's not hard.

Booshka

yes, and backstab or roll + parry it's pretty much the same thing with that weapon.

oh, I also saw just now the binocular max speed glitch, amazing. time to wait for the next patch before playing again. FromSoft please patch this garbage, it's not hard.

I've been waiting on a major patch for PvP for almost a month now.

Z..

So that's what it was!!! Got invaded in Belfry Sol today... I knew something had to be wrong! This was definitely it, judging by the videos, lol...

Soulhouf

I might just ascetic Iron Keep and fight the old iron king again so that I can open the shrine of winter.

I don't think I can stand this Rotten fight at SL1. Shits too damn frustrating for all the wrong reasons. Thanks 6 ADP roll!

Interesting because I had way more trouble with Iron King and Freya than the Rotten with my SL1 dude.
It just requires some patience since you need to stay away from that horizontal swing and the AOE attack.

As it is now the PvP in the arenas is unplayable. If they aren't Havelyng, everyone is using that jet engine and backstep parry with monastery scimitar.
Since it's been a while now, I expect a big patch incoming soon that will fix these exploits and hopefully make some intelligent changes to the game's balance and gameplay.

2AdEPT

Im sure this has been mentioned before, but it happened to me by accident today...went out to do yardwork for 4 hours and forgot my character near the bonfire in iron keep AND she had on her bellbro ring.....4 hours later I had 14 extra chunks and only appeared to have been killed three times.

YrMaZXc.jpg

Fashion Souls.

Love it! (Not a fan of the Cloranthy ring effect, though...)

Mistel

Banned

Add that to the 60fps issues, unbalanced scaling, borked balance between melee et al, and issues that were countered via plasters (I.e monastery scimitar for parrying as it's not effected by parrying changes).

And in fashion souls issues the Xanthous set is the wrong shade of yellow to be complimentary to the black witches set. I mean dark yellow with dark purple so doesn't go.

Overdoziz

Banned
Man, Velstadt is a great boss on SL1. You really have to time your rolls well with such low agility. Very satisfying to pull those off. I also somehow managed to do damage quickly enough that he skipped his buff which was weird.

you should maybe spoilertag that dude :p

the lore thing i was wondering about is why you have to manually embrace it rather than get it outright like with the other bosses. i'm guessin cos that dragon is actually seath and for some reason his soul hasn't been "absorbed" or whatever by freja, like nito's has by the rotten, lost sinner has with the witch of izalith, etc.

Because is the soul of an everlasting dragon that just fell of its corpse when you defeated the boss? spiders used it to warm its home

Z..

So I've been going through the shaded woods. Just reached the shaded ruins. How the fuck am I supposed to deal with the 3 Lion Warriors that chase after you as soon as you arrive at the
"clearing" at the end of the bonfire's ruined corridor?

One hit from them takes away 70% of my HP and it takes me several hits to kill each one, what the fuck am I supposed to do if every time I go there 3 run at me no matter what and I have no way to lure then one by one? This is fucking dumb... -.-'

onionfrog

Just beat the Looking Glass Knight. He gave me more trouble than I'd been expecting. (SL1)
Interesting because I had way more trouble with Iron King and Freya than the Rotten with my SL1 dude.
It just requires some patience since you need to stay away from that horizontal swing and the AOE attack.
Freya:
Freya was no big deal once I realized I could kill three of the small spiders at the beginning of the fight in one stroke if I spaced my attack right. Then I just baited the laser, ran to the other side and attacked. Rinse/repeat.

Old Iron King:
The old iron king was really rough until I figured out that with low ADP, certain attacks can only be successfully dodged in one direction.
For example, any of his hand slams must be dodged to the right. If you dodge to the left you'd get smashed 90% of the time. ( although with a normal character with decent agility you could've dodged them in either direction)

The fire breath was troublesome on occasion. And I definitely accidentally flung myself off the platform a lot when I didn't give myself enough space to dodge to the right.

Rotten:
This fight was absolutely ridiculous when I tried to approach it like I would with a normal character. IE: I'd get up close to fight him and attempt to dodge attacks by rolling right or left. However I had tons of trouble with the horizontal swing one-shotting me.

I ended up using some human effigies to turn human, and then I had just enough health to take a durect hit without being instantly killed.

The winning strategy ended up being:
1) Walk up to the rotten, directly in front of him and bait an attack.
2. Run backwards and then roll backwards to evade the attack.
3. Run up to the rotten and hit him exactly once with my mace.
4. Then bait an attack and repeat...

It still took a lot of tries, but eventually I didn't get killed by his hexes or AOE and managed to finish him off.
.... And fuck the Shrine of Amana at soul level one! I've gotten far enough for tonight.

So I've been going through the shaded woods. Just reached the shaded ruins. How the fuck am I supposed to deal with the 3 Lion Warriors that chase after you as soon as you arrive at the

One hit from them takes away 70% of my HP and it takes me several hits to kill each one, what the fuck am I supposed to do if every time I go there 3 run at me no matter what and I have no way to lure then one by one? This is fucking dumb... -.-'

Run out and bait the first one on the left so that he follows you back down into that tunnel area. Bait the next two and if you pull them back to almost where the bonfire is, one should disengage while the other will still come after you.

Regardless they really only have one move set. Bait one to swing, attack once or twice, then bait another attack. Rinse and repeat.

zkylon

zkylewd

try immediatelly running to your left so you only aggro those three. then fight them without lock-on and just try and bait their attack then get one hit, rinse and repeat. a wide weapon that can hit multiple lion dudes is preferable, and if you can stagger them with your attack (try stone ring) that's great too.

their attacks are really really easy to dodge if you're not greedy, so don't be and stay out of their range

ignore them, just go fast and explore,
there is a special NPC to the left, a basilisk, Dark covenant old man, and a special key to unlock a blacksmith using the unpretified seed

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just realized... I'm 40 hours into the game and I've never used a single effigy. I've been hollow since that very first Ogre on Things Betwixt killed me!

(it bums me to no end that your character looks different when hollowed, I spent almost 30 mins getting it just right only to never "enjoy" it. DeS was so much better than both sequels in this regard)
Then... revive? Use those effigies, or drop a summon sign. Successful coop revives you. With a Shade (small white soapstone) it can happen in like 2 minutes.

Try melee, be wary of using magic

I haven't used any boss souls yet for weapons. Any suggestions? I think I have every boss soul up to this point.

I did my ng+ playthrough using the Defender Greatsword. If you have the bones to upgrade it, it is pretty nice. It is even better lightning infused if you have a lot of FTH. It had a built in Sun blade buff using the 2H parry at the cost of some durability. Good damage and moveset.

Mistel

Banned
It bums me to no end that your character looks different when hollowed, I spent almost 30 mins getting it just right only to never "enjoy" it. DeS was so much better than both sequels in this regard)
You get a ring later that gives you a human appearance whilst hollowed.

Z..

Yeah, the lion guys are easy as hell to dodge, but 3 of them at the same time can get tricky very fast! Anyway, I found a cheap trick... the room with all the curse jars which leads to Tark (scorpion dude): they can't get in, they just stand at the door. Easy peasy.

Then... revive? Use those effigies, or drop a summon sign. Successful coop revives you. With a Shade (small white soapstone) it can happen in like 2 minutes.

What for? I don't see any need, which is why I haven't used any yet. I've never done any coop in all of my Souls gameplay. I like the invasion and PvP aspects, but the co-op I don't really see the need for. Never used any summon signs. Ever. In any of the games. Not my thing.

NBtoaster

In the Rottens camber, there is a treasure reflected onto the tar here. Where is it? It's not in the chest in the next room and I can't find any illusory walls.

http://abload.de/img/tsc5pqc.jpg

What for? I don't see any need, which is why I haven't used any yet. I've never done any coop in all of my Souls gameplay. I like the invasion and PvP aspects, but the co-op I don't really see the need for. Never used any summon signs. Ever. In any of the games. Not my thing.

It lets you free up a ring slot so you dont need the ring of binding. And looking nice is a good enough reason.

Altazor

Sooooo... I'm about to fight the final boss. Any advice before I enter the fog gate?

Also, does NG+ start right after I eventually defeat the final boss? Do I have a choice to make (like in DS1)?

Okay, what the hell?

So I finally beat the
Ancient Dragon
after finding a saint-like patience deep within myself. Half of the deaths was just reaching it without dying.
I got close so many times, only to be herded towards a ledge and then not having any direction I could run in fast enough once it flew up and breathed fire. What's done is done
. But no achievement?! C'mon, now.

I killed
Vendrick on the 2nd try now that I had the last Soul of a Giant. I can't believe how easy he was. And he gets an achievement?
Injustice.

I guess it's only
Darklurker
that remains, but I feel like it will be the hardest one to get back to (consistently). Plus the whole...super annoying OHK AoE moves and doing less damage than I was to the
dragon

Sooooo... I'm about to fight the final boss. Any advice before I enter the fog gate?

Also, does NG+ start right after I eventually defeat the final boss? Do I have a choice to make (like in DS1)?

You'll do just fine.

Credits will roll but ng+ won't start until you select it at Farfire bonfire.

zkylon

zkylewd

no choice, just go ahead and enjoy yourself

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Well then, stop bitching about looking ugly as a hollow...

I guess it's only
Darklurker
that remains, but I feel like it will be the hardest one to get back to (consistently). Plus the whole...super annoying OHK AoE moves and doing less damage than I was to the
dragon

Hmm, I'm guessing you're a melee build?

Yeah, it's definitely a pain having to get back to that boss if you end up dying.
I personally found the Drangleic Castle one to be the easiest to go through though, especially since it only has 4 enemies, and there's a bonfire right next to the portal.

Hmm, I'm guessing you're a melee build?

Yeah, it's definitely a pain having to get back to that boss if you end up dying.
I personally found the Drangleic Castle one to be the easiest to go through though, especially since it only has 4 enemies, and there's a bonfire right next to the portal.
That obvious, huh?

That would definitely be my preferred bonfire...if it wasn't the hardest path for me to get through! I mean, I'd be fine if I could just run by all the enemies, but
Havel 2.0 would probably destroy me more often than not. Right now, I'm doing the Shaded Woods way, and it's not that bad

Altazor

embarrassing confession: I think I must've died over 20 times to
King FUCKIN' Vendrick

Somehow he always got me with
some horizontal sword swings.
I rolled too late. OHKO. Try again. Then I realized I could
stay behind his legs and circle him and avoid damage
, so that's what I did and, after all those stupid ass deaths, I DEFEATED.

Feels good, man. Though it was a small victory.

Riposte

Darklurker was definitely the hardest boss for me, thanks to my build. I wrote a pseudo guide on it a few replies back.

Top Bottom