• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Very nice although I prefer my Gyrms B/E/B scaling once infused with 266/266 damage spilt might be a tad heavy for you though. A pair is 36 in weight.

I really wanted to try double Gyrm normal axes at first but they're so massive heavy and the amount of str I'd need to powerstance is pretty insane. It's only after I realised that I decided to rank down to double bandit.

You'd look like a complete badass though.

I haven't met anyone else in PVP in ranking up bell tower to 3 doing double axes, a few double maces, plenty of double whips/swords. I feel like such a special snowflake.

I don't even want to fight the Ancient Dragon...

I don't like killing things on my "roleplay" playthroughs of Souls games that aren't hostile. I didn't like killing Priscilla either, for example. On my first playthroughs I don't like killing NPCs or anything either, even if they drop awesome loot (Lautrec excluded, of course). Sometimes I read tips for new players that are like "make sure to kill all the NPCs before you start NG+". Doing stuff like that kind of takes me out of the experience for my first playthrough, unless I'm roleplaying some cold-hearted murderer. =P

Just curious if anybody else feels the same way. It also makes future playthroughs fun for me, when I plan on just doing and getting everything (including killing NPCs) instead of just roleplaying.

Jathaine

Is anyone else utterly confused by the Watcher Greatsword?
There's so much about this weapon that makes me think FROM Software just kinda rushed this weapon.

The INT scaling is 'worse' on the Magic path than on the Dark, Bleed or Poison paths when you imbue it (making the overall damage worse than normal most of the time even if you have 99INT)
If you DO imbue it with Bleed or Poison, when you activate the special ability it fills 'your' bleed/poison bar meaning the potential to kill yourself by buffing with this thing is there.

On top of all that, you can't buff it if you have a buffed weapon in your other hand (unless the weapon is a Defender Greatsword or possibly another Watcher Greatsword)

They've rebalanced a lot of items/spells so far and I hope they take a look at this one in the future... it needs it.

FloatOn

I think I may just be too under level for ancient dragon and vendrick. I know there are some crazy SL1 players out there but shit man.... this isn't even fun.

I'm wondering if I should just skip them and finish off the game.

Mistel

Banned
I really wanted to try double Gyrm normal axes at first but they're so massive heavy and the amount of str I'd need to powerstance is pretty insane. It's only after I realised that I decided to rank down to double bandit.

You'd look like a complete badass though.
My equipment all together is 36 for the Gyrm axes and 25.3 ish for my Alva/Alonee armor set so in total that's only only over 61 so it's not that much with the right rings and vitality. You only need 42 strength and 12 dex to dual wield them.
I don't think it matters.
With a 100% lightning defense shield WotG took more than 70% of my HP.
Your armor also plays a role in your defenses too.

Soulhouf

I'm pretty sure her WoG is physical.

Because it took off like 90% of my health even though I have pretty high lightning def from faith.

I wonder if it's a mix or simply glitched because I tried all kind of shields with 100% defense against various elements and it didn't change a thing.
I was stuck against her because I made the mistake to ascetic the fire to +6.

NBtoaster

Any attack in previous Souls games would aggro, but in DS2 they give you a little forgiveness. Some may say it's casualization, but I think it's nice. You can even de-aggro with the pardoner if necessary. I am so paranoid about accidentally hitting NPC'S the game has trained me to take my fingers off triggers and grip the body of the controller when they are around. I remember someone back in the day lamenting they accidentally cast Wrath of God in the Nexus...

Dark Souls 1 would let you attack some NPCs a couple times before they aggro. The Giant Blacksmith would just say 'Ouch' a few times.

Already got 15 gold sun thingies from signs at vest. Might just stay here till 30, he's doesn't have much health and is pretty faceroll so hosts don't die much.

My equipment all together is 36 for the Gyrm axes and 25.3 ish for my Alva/Alonee armor set so in total that's only only over 61 so it's not that much with the right rings and vitality. You only need 42 strength and 12 dex to dual wield them.

Yeah, I only have 32 out of 72 equip load so I'd have to work on that via rings/vit, I think I'll give it a try at 150 for PVP fun.

Altazor

Yay I finally beat the final boss! Can't believe I died more times to
Vendrick
than the final boss but... eh, shit happens.

Just a small question: in the credits I saw
a credit for "Shanalotte (child)"
Where? Did I miss this? Did I read the listing wrong? Am I forgetting something?

Mistel

Banned
Where? Did I miss this? Did I read the listing wrong? Am I forgetting something?
No there's nothing you have missed.
Yeah, I only have 32 out of 72 equip load so I'd have to work on that via rings/vit, I think I'll give it a try at 150 for PVP fun.
You will have to raise that if you want to it's not much of a task to get yourself set up for a dual gyrm axe faith build.
Guys? Regarding the Moonligh Greatsword... Should I keep it basic or infuse magic into it?
Infuse it with magic if you don't mind the damage decrease. It gains physical damage instead and S scaling.

Do Shaded Woods path. Much easier.

I only drink estus in PvP when my opponent does. I try to avoid doing so though.

Yeah, last time I tried the Darklurker on PS3 I banged away at the path under the Castle, which is full of rather tough fights imo. I'll definitely be doing the Shaded Woods one this time round.

Minamu

Yay I finally beat the final boss! Can't believe I died more times to
Vendrick
than the final boss but... eh, shit happens.

Cut content or dlc. I think there are 2-3 other names on that list that don't appear in the game at all as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
D905BA946C068B6323A052C260283F3D2996F32C

lol first try in ng+ no ascetics

i'm sorry

UrbanRats

i'm sorry

I'll reserve my rage in case you get the Monastery Scimitar, the same way.

Anyway, i said i wanted a break from the game, but instead i rolled a 3rd character and gone with a Dex/no-shield build, by far the most fun to play, of the three.
I used the Shrine of Winter jump glitch to do Drangleic (got up to the second bonfire in Amana, basically) before doing Ruin Sentinels, Mytha or any of the other Big Bosses, really.
Even beat every boss (so far) on the first try, which is kind of weird, given the absence of a shield.

Much more fun, in a way. :p
Plus i got me the Hunter's black bow before.. you know, the whole game was over. :\

zkylon

zkylewd
I'll reserve my rage in case you get the Monastery Scimitar, the same way.

challenge accepted

i just beat vestaldt in ng+ (
died on vendrick afterwards and figured i'd come back with a fifth giant soul)
, so ng+ run still going strong.

theoretically i could just go straight in and win now, right?

Any attack in previous Souls games would aggro, but in DS2 they give you a little forgiveness. Some may say it's casualization, but I think it's nice. You can even de-aggro with the pardoner if necessary. I am so paranoid about accidentally hitting NPC'S the game has trained me to take my fingers off triggers and grip the body of the controller when they are around. I remember someone back in the day lamenting they accidentally cast Wrath of God in the Nexus...

Actually they made a "grave system" if you kill them all, it allows you to summon them via ghosts and ask for their services, even the emeral herald.

Outside a little change of her voice in
drangelic castle
and an actual concept art about her child form, nothing.

UrbanRats

Oh yeah, i forgot to say, if you go to Drangleic castle with the glitch (so without any Great Soul) Emeral Herald has a different dialogue for you, saying you're too weak to do it etc etc... so they did account for that? I don't get it.

Leezard

Oh yeah, i forgot to say, if you go to Drangleic castle with the glitch (so without any Great Soul) Emeral Herald has a different dialogue for you, saying you're too weak to do it etc etc... so they did account for that? I don't get it.
You can open the Winter Shrine by having enough Soul Memory. She says those lines then as well.

If you dont exhaust her dialogue in majula she can said it on the other places where she relocates

eot

Banned
It is done.
S9g7fKl.jpg

Getting there is by far the hardest part. I love that boss though, it's up there with the best Dark Souls bosses for me. Probably the only one from DkS2 that is. Music is great too.

Gbraga

Hey Stoooorm, made a new character, I'm going to rock a Greatsword build, just got to No Man's Wharf to get it, using the Tseldora set to get the points I need before I get the sword, I'll have it in my hands in a few minutes, what looks good with massive Guts swords?

darksoulsii2014-05-251sppr.png

Does farming for Pharros' Lockstones at the Royal Rat Vanguard not work anymore? I had heard about it and I ran out of lockstones now so I figured I'd give it a shot. None of the rats are dropping anything though, even with the Covetous Serpent Ring and a Jesters Hood on.

(PC version, if it matters)

UrbanRats

Hey Stoooorm, made a new character, I'm going to rock a Greatsword build, just got to No Man's Wharf to get it, using the Tseldora set to get the points I need before I get the sword, I'll have it in my hands in a few minutes, what looks good with massive Guts swords?

Love the face, great work.

So, I've started punishing Iron Keep PvP chuggers in a different way. As soon as I see that flask come out: mock gesture, walk solemnly down the stairs and into the lava (regardless of who has the upper-hand, etc).

If they're not going to give me a fair fight, I'm not going to give them one at all.

It's oddly satisfying. I like to think that my martyrdom for the greater good cuts them deep; makes them think about how FUCKING LAME they are.

i'm sorry
>_>

Does farming for Pharros' Lockstones at the Royal Rat Vanguard not work anymore? I had heard about it and I ran out of lockstones now so I figured I'd give it a shot. None of the rats are dropping anything though, even with the Covetous Serpent Ring and a Jesters Hood on.

Farm invaders not the rats.

It is done.
http://i.imgur.com/S9g7fKl.jpg
Getting there is by far the hardest part. I love that boss though, it's up there with the best Dark Souls bosses for me. Probably the only one from DkS2 that is. Music is great too.
Is this your SL1 run? :bow:

Mistel

Banned

Try these maybe:
  • Royal soldier helm and torso plus royal swordsman greaves and gauntlets. Hollow soldier armor can be substituted in place if you prefer that to royal soldier.
  • Falconeer torso, rouge greaves and gauntlets with heide iron mask.
  • Old knight arms and legs with Creighton's torso,
  • Alva torso, royal soldier the rest.
If you were further in I could probably have more to work with I can have a play around with a few ideas I've got for other things.

Royal rat authority has the rats you can farm.
It's oddly satisfying. I like to think that my martyrdom for the greater good cuts them deep; makes them think about how FUCKING LAME they are.
It really doesn't bother us much at all...

Gbraga

Love the face, great work.

Thanks! I had absolutely no idea of what I was doing, but it ended up working pretty well.

Try these maybe:
  • Royal soldier helm and torso plus royal swordsman greaves and gauntlets. Hollow soldier armor can be substituted in place if you prefer that to royal soldier.
  • Falconeer torso, rouge greaves and gauntlets with heide iron mask.
  • Old knight arms and legs with Creighton's torso,
  • Alva torso, royal soldier the rest.
If you were further in I could probably have more to work with I can have a play around with a few ideas I've got for other things.

How do you do this? :OOO

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try them, see if I have the equips.

EDIT: Ok, I need a lot more VIT before I can start playing Fashion Souls with a greatsword.

maomaoIYP

So, I've started punishing Iron Keep PvP chuggers in a different way. As soon as I see that flask come out: mock gesture, walk solemnly down the stairs and into the lava (regardless of who has the upper-hand, etc).

If they're not going to give me a fair fight, I'm not going to give them one at all.

Dude, PUNISH the drinking animation.
I had a fight where every time he drank I punished it with a combo that removed half his life bar. He still had not learned how to deal with my attacks so he kept drinking......and then he ran out of estus.....

Dude, PUNISH the drinking animation.
I had a fight where every time he drank I punished it with a combo that removed half his life bar. He still had not learned how to deal with my attacks so he kept drinking......and then he ran out of estus.....

Oh, I know. And half the time I do, but sometimes I just can't be bothered with the rigmarole. I'd rather move onto another fight with someone less douchey - someone who can appreciate the point of a duel, even if they are a parry-fisher or a Havelyn.

Luckily, Iron Keep still yields frequent and interesting opponents, so wasting my time flinging Great Resonant Souls in vain or having them roll out of my attacks in seemingly bullshit ways to start the whole pathetic cycle again just isn't worth my time!

Gbraga

I have my own way to deal with Estus on duels: Apply Resonant Weapon.

You can see the look of "oh shit" in their faces. Even though the faces don't change.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I just killed him earlier today. I'll have to kill invaders instead.
You will if you do not wish to ascetic the boss again. But then again invaders must die so best of luck.
How do you do this? :OOO

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try them, see if I have the equips.

EDIT: Ok, I need a lot more VIT before I can start playing Fashion Souls with a greatsword.
Well at least you can try the outfits one without worrying about some vitality if you've got some of the equipment? Maybe a couple of pictures so I can see what I'm working with.
Ah, Stormtrooper. We're certainly not cut from the same cloth, you and I, but at least you respond to my grumblings!
I'm flattered truly I am.

Gbraga

Work in Progress, I love my big ass hands

darksoulsii2014-05-25cbu7o.png

I wish I could make the ears big enough to slip out of her hair, but that would probably require some TressFX level of hair. Would be really cool.

I wonder if you can make a character that resembles Bebop's Ayeon. It'll be my next one :3

Mistel

Banned
The royal soldier/swordsman mix will work along with the rouge falconeer mix too. I'll see what I can whip up with other combinations that would suit her.

Looking for a good endgame weapon for my cleric build... mainly fth (50) focused and tossing lightning at bosses. I've been going through the game with my starter mace buffed to +9 and lightning imbued, wearing a mix of Vengarl and Dranglic to keep under 70% load. Just got the Kings Ring and took out Throne Watcher/Defender, but have not done any other King Doors yet. Any suggestions for a good weapon, boss soul or otherwise?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Looking for a good endgame weapon for my cleric build... mainly fth (50) focused and tossing lightning at bosses. I've been going through the game with my starter mace buffed to +9 and lightning imbued, wearing a mix of Vengarl and Dranglic to keep under 70% load. Just got the Kings Ring and took out Throne Watcher/Defender, but have not done any other King Doors yet. Any suggestions for a good weapon, boss soul or otherwise?

Lightning Mace +10 is fine, Lightning Claymore +10 is awesome, Defenders Greatsword with lightning for the 2HR2 buff, lots of options.

UrbanRats

Thorne Defender Greatsword and Dragon Chime were my final wepons, in my STR+FTH build.
They work quite well.

Top Bottom