• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

So I've hit SL 150, and upgraded my gear about as much as I can. I've pretty much run out of ways to improve my character via spending souls. But I can't help but continue collecting souls, so my soul memory is going to keep going up, and thus I'm going to be matched up against higher and higher level players. It seems inevitable that PvP will get more and more broken with this character, unless I start pumping past SL 150, and ruin any sort of concept of builds, as eventually I'll be able to do everything.

Is this where soul memory leaves us in the end? Is there any way to prevent this sort of soul level creep?

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I don't understand why From didn't just cap the SL and figure out a different way to deal with SM. Kind of curious/confused about what to do with the endgame as well. I like making a new character(s) as much as anyone but making one just so I can get matched again and face builds that aren't total nonsense is seeming to be quite the feat...

UrbanRats

Other than not playing you cannot prevent soul memory from rising.

60% would be the Undead crypt before the kings rings.

Uhm.. no way the areas after the King's Ring are 40% of everything that came before.

You basically have:

Aldia's Keep, which are a couple of rooms.
Dragon Aerie, which is also very short and has no boss.
Dragon Shrine, which also isn't very long.
and Throne of Want, which is essentially a boss room.
3 Giants memories.
1 Dragon memory.

Before that, you have:

Things Betwixt
Forest of the fallen Giants.
Tower of Flames.
No man's Wharf.
Lost Bastille.
Sinner's Rise.
Huntman's Copse.
Harvest Valley.
Erthen Peak.
Iron Keep.
The Gutter.
Black Gulch.
Tomb of Saints.
Shaded Woods
Shaded Ruins.
Doors of Pharros.
Brightstone Cove Tseldora.
Drangleic Castle.
Shrine of Amana.
Undead Crypt.
Belfry Luna.
Belfry Sol.

Some of which are pretty long and complex levels.
I mean maybe if you simply count the names, but in terms of length, i don't see it.

elfinke

Oh, I know. And half the time I do, but sometimes I just can't be bothered with the rigmarole. I'd rather move onto another fight with someone less douchey - someone who can appreciate the point of a duel, even if they are a parry-fisher or a Havelyn.

Luckily, Iron Keep still yields frequent and interesting opponents, so wasting my time flinging Great Resonant Souls in vain or having them roll out of my attacks in seemingly bullshit ways to start the whole pathetic cycle again just isn't worth my time!

I agree wholeheartedly. In the same way lag affects katana swipes, it affects estus drinking, making it damn near impossible to punish sometimes. I've had swings go through chugging animations, health bars go up before the estus hits their lips and so on. I haven't got the patience for it: I'm not there to take your life bar down 3 or 6 times, I'll stone out or jump off the cliff and save myself the time before bothering with that wimpy crap.

I was having great success with Lloyd's Talisman's at one stage, but they're seemingly wildly inconsistent in range and effect, so I gave that away.

Mistel

Banned
So you chug estus in duels against someone who can't? I have to ask: why?

If I "won" a duel after using Estus, knowing full well my opponent can't do the same, that victory would feel hollow.
That was not the scenario presented. That was the other person ending the fight if one would consume estus.
Some of which are pretty long and complex levels.
I mean maybe if you simply count the names, but in terms of length, i don't see it.
As the crow flies it is roughly there without the purely optional areas that can be bypassed completely.

Guys? Regarding the Moonligh Greatsword... Should I keep it basic or infuse magic into it?
If you have 50+ intel, infuse it with magic. It will do more damage. But there are enemies highly resistant to elemental. 580+ damage mlgs backstab on Lion worriers is around 300 damage.
No enemy is resistant to physical damage.
Infuse with enchant will turn mlgs into physical, however special attack only does knock down, no damage.

maomaoIYP

Sorry, I thought you meant to say that you weren't bothered when someone jumped into the lava after you had consumed Estus....?

The avelyn is pretty good for punishing drinkers, it can deal damage so fast that it kills them before their health recovery has finished.
I used to equip lloyd's talismen, but it's so unreliable I don't bother anymore. I let them drink and then punish. Sooner or later they will run out.

Doing ~100-300k SM-level PvP in the belltower I've come across a number of people with seemingly absurd amounts of HP. Hits that usually 2 shot people take maybe 10% of their health. Cheaters?

Facism

My favourite invader was called "**** *****." He got suckered into a spell cancel and got hit with a GRS whilst he tried to dodge away

I was secretly hoping that beating the D
arklurker
would give you an achievement like V
endrick
did after the disappointment of the lack of one after defeating the A
ncient Dragon
. No one will know my struggles but I. :(

94 hours played, I can tell that I'm getting *really* close to the end. It's been a great ride so far (with some bumps along the way, of course).

I've really loved it, but am about ready for a break. Hoping to beat it in the next few days and then take a break for a few weeks before jumping into NG+.

I was secretly hoping that beating the D
arklurker
would give you an achievement like V
endrick
did after the disappointment of the lack of one after defeating the A
ncient Dragon
. No one will know my struggles but I. :(

Indirectly there is one since you can't get the Hexes achievement without trading the soul or getting rank 3 in the covenant, but ya, there should be one.

GorillaJu

So has anyone here had good fun doing a pyromancy + great sword build? I've taken two characters to SL150 so far but I'd like to try a more knightly build. Do you need faith to use pyromancy or would STR/INT (with dex for weapon requirements) be enough?

I'm not sure why
the memory sequences were timed. I thought they were really cool, and wanted time to soak in the surroundings. Getting to see Drangleic during the midst of the war with the giants was really cool. I didn't like feeling rushed through all of that...otherwise it was pretty neat, and I wish they would have done even more with it.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Crestfallen's retreat ascetic it ad infinitum for 5 effigies a go.
Thanks. :)

Beat the Darklurker on my second try, strangly enough. Heck of a fight, DS II should have had more of these!
I wished there where more PVE Covenants. Maybe in a possible sequel.
Just started doing the
memory sequences
. Awesome idea, IMO.
I thought they where the least fun area's in the game. I hate time-limits. :(

Dear Fashion Souls: the Drangleic Helm looks pretty nice with the Smelter Demon set, in my opinion.

J4M.png

eot

Banned
Work in Progress, I love my big ass hands

darksoulsii2014-05-25cbu7o.png

I wish I could make the ears big enough to slip out of her hair, but that would probably require some TressFX level of hair. Would be really cool.

I wonder if you can make a character that resembles Bebop's Ayeon. It'll be my next one :3

That's one of the best faces I've seen yet.

Riposte

Theory about the Old Iron King and the Lost Sinner (based on a lot of commonly established stuff)

So the main theory surrounding the Old Iron King (associated with Gwyn) is that he's the prince of Alken or w/e. There's also the a lesser theory of his star-crossed lover, the princess of that other place, is the Lost Sinner (associated with the Witch of Izalith).

In any case, what I haven't seen suggested, as an explanation of why the Iron Keep sank into lava, is that it's directly connected to the Lost Sinner (who I would say is the princess) - the mistake being the what she suffers penance for (i.e., killing her lover). The actual act would be similar to what happened to Izalith, chaos fire and lots of lava. The origin of the Smelter Demon is inconsistent, with some making it seem it was another creation of the King, but the Smelter Sword says "the earth sprouted fire, and a beast arose from the flames". The king, while apparently killed, is transformed into a demonic monster, one I feel you could make a parallel to Ceaseless Discharge, despite his association with Gwyn (or maybe the 4 Kings or w/e they are actually aiming for). I've been reading a lot of lore, but I haven't seen any one make that sort of connection, despite believing what I said in the first sentence.

The Lost Sinner (Witch of Izalith) punishes herself for a grave mistake, her lover the Old Iron King is killed by a demon and his castle sinks into lava. Hmm... doesn't sound crazy to me!

GorillaJu

That's one of the best faces I've seen yet.

Yeah, it has real character. Looks like the spitting image of Danaerys to me outside of the hair color, actually.

My fashion souls isn't very fashiony: Didn't have to sacrifice a whole lot to slot in the Black Witch chest/hat as it's got really decent defense for its weight. But here is my pretty blonde witch

ieZ6I43.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Started up the game, runs great with GeDoSaTo, and made it to the part where I snatched
the fire sword

Not feeling the same magic as in DS yet, but of course, I'm really early on.

Can I do something with the woman who has turned to stone that's blocking the switch in the stone castle thing?

And god damn at the OP pigs in Majula! :D

GorillaJu

Started up the game, runs great with GeDoSaTo, and made it to the part where I snatched
the fire sword

Not feeling the same magic as in DS yet, but of course, I'm really early on.

Can I do something with the woman who has turned to stone that's blocking the switch in the stone castle thing?

And god damn at the OP pigs in Majula! :D

I hear that a lot, but didn't feel the same way. Perhaps it's because there was a huge gap for me between Demon's and Dark 2 and nostalgia factored into it, but I felt the Souls Magic and loved every minute of it.

To answer your question, yes!

Durante

Talking about fashion souls, I had a look at my Dark Souls 1 screenshots again recently, and the most striking difference is how much better the faces are in DS2. Massive improvement there.

screenshot_2014-05-25gcs6x.jpg

screenshot_2014-05-18ygkl3.jpg

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Cleaning up some stuff before starting NG+. I barely got invaded before, but since the last server maintenance i've been attacked by other adventurers quite regurarly.
Got brutally murdered by a very unexpected, giant fireball a couple of minutes ago. Even though it's a weird combination, I can't get mad at a player called Artorias who looks like Princess Leia in her slave outfit.

Durante

Got brutally murdered by a very unexpected, giant fireball a couple of minutes ago. Even though it's a weird combination, I can't get mad at a player called Artorias who looks like Princess Leia in her slave outfit.
I got totally mad at an invader called "Sorceress" who was both male and full melee".

On the other hand, when I lost a drawn-out sorcery duel fighting a character called "Hermione" who was pure caster (like me) with cloth armor I was still quite satisfied :p

Just finished the game. Disapointed by the final boss and the ending, but still the game is great, even if it's poorer than Dark Souls 1.

Dyno

I finished the game but have Vendrick, Ancient Dragon, and the Dark Diving to do. I'm SL 167 with INT 50, ATT 30, and everything else 20 (mundaaaaaaaane!!!) Mundane damage at 20 is +170.

Also, only at the end of the game did I find a way to rock PVP. +10 Mundane Broken Straight Sword with Crystal Magic Weapon in the right hand. Staff in the left hand to blast out Crystal Soul Mass. I got to hit a guy well over 10+ in a row with my shitty sword, stun-locking him like three times in a row. I giggled like a crazy person!

Vendrick is hard. His guardian knights are boring and he is a one-shot master. I started a new character, duel-weild in the meanwhile. I think the end levels of the game are really strong and I enjoyed the challenge.

aravuus

Talking about fashion souls, I had a look at my Dark Souls 1 screenshots again recently, and the most striking difference is how much better the faces are in DS2. Massive improvement there.

screenshot_2014-05-25gcs6x.jpg

screenshot_2014-05-18ygkl3.jpg

After finally giving Demon's Souls a proper try, I realize how great DS2 actually looks. Granted, it's the PC version, but still. It's beautiful.

e:
also dark souls 1 and 2 have been a lot more enjoyable then des so far

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
NG++ so far isn't very fun. Every death is usually due to platforming or getting 1-shot due to the high difficulty. I just want to get through to Welleger so I can put this game to rest.

Soulhouf

Also, only at the end of the game did I find a way to rock PVP. +10 Mundane Broken Straight Sword with Crystal Magic Weapon in the right hand. Staff in the left hand to blast out Crystal Soul Mass. I got to hit a guy well over 10+ in a row with my shitty sword, stun-locking him like three times in a row. I giggled like a crazy person!

That's a useless combination since you only gain +50 magic damage with Crystal Magic Weapon.
Elemental buff is only good when done on an infused weapon with the same element.

That's a useless combination since you only gain +50 magic damage with Crystal Magic Weapon.
Elemental buff is only good when done on an infused weapon with the same element.

Does the bonus damage from buffs come from the weapon infusion bonus or from your fire, lightning, etc. bonus in your stats?

Soulhouf

Does the bonus damage from buffs come from the weapon infusion bonus or from your fire, lightning, etc. bonus in your stats?

Nope, your stat doesn't matter. You can do it with the minimum requirement and even reduce them with spices.

It adds 50 flat elemental damage + 30% (50% in the case of Resonant Weapon) of the elemental damage of your weapon.

Top Bottom