• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Gbraga

Is it possible to mod animations? It would be nice to have Shanalotte hugging you.

Gloves don't match the outfit on the second one. Speaking of fashion souls I've got a few more ideas for outfits for later game if you are interested that works with your greatsword.

You know I am, give it to meeee.

Loving the increase number of fashion souls adepts

Theory about the Old Iron King and the Lost Sinner (based on a lot of commonly established stuff)

So the main theory surrounding the Old Iron King (associated with Gwyn) is that he's the prince of Alken or w/e. There's also the a lesser theory of his star-crossed lover, the princess of that other place, is the Lost Sinner (associated with the Witch of Izalith).

In any case, what I haven't seen suggested, as an explanation of why the Iron Keep sank into lava, is that it's directly connected to the Lost Sinner (who I would say is the princess) - the mistake being the what she suffers penance for (i.e., killing her lover). The actual act would be similar to what happened to Izalith, chaos fire and lots of lava. The origin of the Smelter Demon is inconsistent, with some making it seem it was another creation of the King, but the Smelter Sword says "the earth sprouted fire, and a beast arose from the flames". The king, while apparently killed, is transformed into a demonic monster, one I feel you could make a parallel to Ceaseless Discharge, despite his association with Gwyn (or maybe the 4 Kings or w/e they are actually aiming for). I've been reading a lot of lore, but I haven't seen any one make that sort of connection, despite believing what I said in the first sentence.

The Lost Sinner (Witch of Izalith) punishes herself for a grave mistake, her lover the Old Iron King is killed by a demon and his castle sinks into lava. Hmm... doesn't sound crazy to me!

The Iron king have so many inconsistents like you said his kingdom is sinking because
of the heavy rare material it was built by mining near of a demonic lair.

I think the only true conection of these two areas are the bellbros bell who are defending only the bell tower and doesnt care about the new kingdoms it arised in that time so the bastille was built near of the bell only accesible by an illusory wall probably sealed by the bastille makers because they couldnt take the bell and the Iron keep is the most intact one because it was used by the Iron King by an entertaiment coliseum to his guests gathering several warriors from other lands.

Also there is a theory about the king using the same soul technique about giving a soul to one of his iron creations but in the end the creation kill him

Durante

Gloves don't match the outfit on the second one.
Oh, the second one I just posted for the face, the whole outfit is terrible.

The gloves aren't even final in the first one, still wearing jester there for more souls. (The "final" version will replace those with the lion mage cuffs)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Guess I might as well share my Fashion Souls toons too. Sadly, I don't have a capture card (played on PS3) but a friend does, and while he was recording some of our coop sessions he took a few screenshots of my characters. Not all of the outfits are "final" since and unfortunately the binoculars added that crappy blur, but it's the best I could do xD

My nimble dexterity rogue (whom I always name "Morrigan" in a burst of non-originality, so my PSN name appearing is fitting XD):
4sd52JG.jpg

Her Royal Highness, the Sorceress Queen:
Jeublfx.jpg

My sexy strength tank:
VnD6zxW.jpg

My faith paladin:
BGqPzkb.png

And this isn't her final outfit, the shot was taken before ( eventually gave her the Hunter's hat and Saint's dress for the full Indiana Jane look :D, but here's my dual whip lady:
mj3nV2N.png

Can't wait to double dip on PC and take high res screenshots of awesome cosplay toons. :) I have some ideas already... hurry, Steam sales!

Mistel

Banned
Is it possible to mod animations? It would be nice to have Shanalotte hugging you.
Well I can imagine someone will do some rather dirty things with the model at some point.
You know I am, give it to meeee.
Here's a few I've got a few more knight style ideas that I'm working with soon.
  • Syan's set with the rusted mastodon torso also works with the ruin torso.
  • Alva helm, imperious torso, royal swordsman greaves, and imperious legs.
  • Llewellyn torso, drakekeeper arms, and legs.
  • Faraam torso, rouge arms and legs.
  • Drakekeeper torso, steel the rest.
  • Alonee helm, alva torso and greaves with alonee legs. (What I'm using on my dual Gyrm axe lady)
  • Syan's set with imperious torso

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a weapon setup that I like. I either feel gimped in damage, or range, or arcs. The game seems to throw a lot of situations that seem to favor one playstyle over another, so as a result I've ended up equipping a large number of weapons to suit different tasks.

In Dark Souls 1, I usually had just one weapon and just stuck to it throughout the game. In 2, I currently have like... four or five weapons of varying upgrade levels and quality. It feels very strange.

Newboi

I finally beat DkSII. I only have the Dark Covenant portals to do now. I've currently been farming the 4th bonfire in Forest of the Fallen Giants (the Giant Lord memory). I'm at NG+14 difficulty I believe on that bonfire. It's like the most awesome place to farm. I just respected to be a faith build and now I can blaze through that memory and pick up +280000 souls in all and the Giant Lords Soul in one go.

I want to keep my high attunement and faith, while getting all my other stats to at least 30 before I start NG+ lol. I'm loving the Mundane broken Santier's Spear ;).

Fun stat for today. PC version will likely pass XBOX360 global death counter today at around 104M. PS3 seems like it is in the stratosphere at over 250M deaths.

Fun stat for today. PC version will likely pass XBOX360 global death counter today at around 104M. PS3 seems like it is in the stratosphere at over 250M deaths.

Hm, pretty interesting. I wonder what it really means. Did it sell a lot more on PC (especially given it came out a month later) or are there just more people playing online in PC? Or are PC players just really bad?

Either way, I'm proud to have contributed around 800 deaths to that PC counter.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I can't bring myself to fight
King Vendrick
. And why should I? The man doesn't even attack me.

Getting overwhelmed with "Your Message Has Been Rated" notifications since the latest server-maintenance. :/

Durante

Hm, pretty interesting. I wonder what it really means. Did it sell a lot more on PC (especially given it came out a month later) or are there just more people playing online in PC? Or are PC players just really bad?
It's pretty obvious from every single stat that, despite the delayed release, it sold way more on PC than on 360. The interesting comparison is to PS3.
(Note that console players had almost a month more to accumulate deaths -- launch-aligned PC overtook 360 weeks ago)

It's pretty obvious from every single stat that, despite the delayed release, it sold way more on PC than on 360. The interesting comparison is to PS3.
(Note that console players had almost a month more to accumulate deaths -- launch-aligned PC overtook 360 weeks ago)

Yeah, I guess I hadn't really looked at the other Far Fire stats.

On another note, got myself this today:

Probably going to wait until NG+ to really start playing with it, though, as it doesn't really fit my current playstyle for this character.

Z..

The bosses in this game are so lame compared to DeS and DaS... 50 hours in and there hasn't been a single standout.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, that's disappointing. You can't remove all sin? :/

At least I only have a sin level of 1-5. Not killing anymore NPC's now that I have that soul-suck boost armor.

Speaking of which, no more 2580 or so souls per kill on the big ass enemies near the Great Dragon. :( Is there any place with respawning enemies that give a decent drop? I still got like 10 points to put into INT/FTH before I'm done boosting those. D:

Gbraga

Well I can imagine someone will do some rather dirty things with the model at some point.
Don't give up, skeleton!

Here's a few I've got a few more knight style ideas that I'm working with soon.
  • Syan's set with the rusted mastodon torso also works with the ruin torso.
  • Alva helm, imperious torso, royal swordsman greaves, and imperious legs.
  • Llewellyn torso, drakekeeper arms, and legs.
  • Faraam torso, rouge arms and legs.
  • Drakekeeper torso, steel the rest.
  • Alonee helm, alva torso and greaves with alonee legs. (What I'm using on my dual Gyrm axe lady)
  • Syan's set with imperious torso

I'm taking notes, can't wait to try them. Do you have some pics of your characters?

So I had an argument with my friend today because he said Dark Souls 1 and 2 were bad games because he couldn't really play it with M+KB and because they didn't even change the button prompts. To me that sounded absolutely crazy because I don't complain that strategy games suck with a controller and the game is clearly designed around playing it with a controller yet he refuses to buy one because M+KB is and should be the primary input method for games you play on a PC. What say you, GAF?

So I had an argument with my friend today because he said Dark Souls 1 and 2 were bad games because he couldn't really play it with M+KB and because they didn't even change the button prompts. To me that sounded absolutely crazy because I don't complain that strategy games suck with a controller and the game is clearly designed around playing it with a controller yet he refuses to buy one because M+KB is and should be the primary input method for games you play on a PC. What say you, GAF?

Yeah, saying that an entire game is bad because you disagree with the best input method is kind of silly. It's fair to say that they could have done a better job with the mouse and keyboard controls in both games (but especially DS1), but I don't see how it would invalidate the entire game.

They are the type of games that just really need analog control to be played precisely. Spending a huge amount of time making great mouse and keyboard controls wouldn't change the fact that the DESIGN of the games make it so keyboard and mouse controls would never be ideal (like your example with strategy games).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, I think From wanted us to use ranged attacks on them or something... :S Frankly crystal lizards in general is the one Souls mechanic I wish would disappear. It's annoying to hunt them down, not very fun at all.

The lizards themselves are kinda neat though. Perhaps another way to have this mechanic is to have the lizards really well hidden, hinted at only with the twinkling sound, but not make them so annoying to catch?

Overdoziz

Banned
It really depends on what kind of weapon you're using. Any weapon that doesn't have a downwards attack will miss the damn things. I missed so many because of that on my first run through using the Heide Sword. Now with the Mace I get pretty much all of them.

Durante

I say that it's absolutely justified to complain about DS1's KB/M support. DS2 is much better, but could still be even better than that.

And yes, the games should switch the displayed prompts depending on which input method is used. That's a standard feature these days.

All that said, your friend still sucks :p
One of my friends completed both DS1 and DS2 on KB/M.

Yeah, I think From wanted us to use ranged attacks on them or something... :S Frankly crystal lizards in general is the one Souls mechanic I wish would disappear. It's annoying to hunt them down, not very fun at all.

The lizards themselves are kinda neat though. Perhaps another way to have this mechanic is to have the lizards really well hidden, hinted at only with the twinkling sound, but not make them so annoying to catch?

I dunno, I think they suit the game very well. Think of them as a Souls version of a collectible or a traditional treasure chest.

Crystal lizards are frail, harmless creatures that provide great treasure. However, they begin to flee the moment they notice a player and they are deliberately placed in easily missable or precarious locations. Since their great treasures are not necessary to complete the game, they are more of an added bonus for players that feel up to the task of hunting them. It is good display of skill to take a crystal lizard down because they require precision, speed, and daring to actually slay, in spite of everything about them. And in true Soulsian form, there is a fake-out that players will need to account for in their lust for loot.

Gotta catch 'em all!

Top Bottom