• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Fashion Souls |OT| ...until style has fully withered.
Fashion Souls |OT| So the clothes might be mended.
Bit late now maybe next time though?

Does anyone know how much of a HP increase NG+ and onwards bosses have. I kind of want to face the Ancient Dragon again and i want to know what kind of HP i'd have to deal with before deciding to fight him or not.
23,800 is how much HP it has on NG+.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Can you pin down exactly what doesn't look as good? Maybe you just don't like the new aesthetic? Because from a technical standpoint, it's definitely better looking than DS1. It's more debatable from an art direction standpoint. (While I really like the overall aesthetic of DS2, some people prefer DS1's.) It's arguable that some areas aren't as detailed either.

Just did a bunch of PVP tonight. Vanquisher's Seal is OP, but oh so fun. The fight clubs that people put on in the Iron Keep can be a lot of fun. I'm kind of tired of the Iron Keep's oppressive color scheme. What are other places that get decent PVP action? (Red Soapstone, mostly.)

It could be an aesthetical thing. But it looks much lighter, and somewhat less detailed. Maybe it's just overall worse design ?

Anyway: How do I use torches? I find them all the time, still haven't figured out how to equip/use them :)

It could be an aesthetical thing. But it looks much lighter, and somewhat less detailed. Maybe it's just overall worse design ?

I wouldn't say it's objectively worse, I would say it's preference. Personally, I think the game looks pretty amazing for the most part, but some areas naturally look better than others. Have you gone to Heide's Tower of Flame yet? That's an area that's really beautiful, early in the game.

Anyway: How do I use torches? I find them all the time, still haven't figured out how to equip/use them :)

When you're at a bonfire, hit Y, then it'll give you the option to light it. Or you can use a Flame Butterfly.

NBtoaster

I feel like the game looks worse (but smoother) than Dark Souls PTD (with DSfix).

Is something the matter with my settings or is this really the case? I'm using GeDoSaTo, rendering at 2560x1600 -> 1920x1200, have in-game AA on and AO and DOF off as the instructions told me to.

The visuals are a huge leap over the first game. Light, shadow and foliage are a generation apart.

eot

Banned
I put down a small soapstone sign in FoFG and when I got summoned there was another grey/white phantom there who killed me. He looked like he'd been summoned for co-op too, how come he was able to attack me?

Mistel

Banned
I put down a small soapstone sign in FoFG and when I got summoned there was another grey/white phantom there who killed me. He looked like he'd been summoned for co-op too, how come he was able to attack me?
Red phantom with the white ring on most likely.

ugoo18

Bit late now maybe next time though?

23,800 is how much HP it has on NG+.

Hmmm and if i understand it correctly a summon gives a boss more HP right, the first time i faced it in my first playthrough was with the Vengarl summon. Is there any guide as to how much HP it would have had then and would it have been greater or still less than it's NG+ HP?

Mistel

Banned
Hmmm and if i understand it correctly a summon gives a boss more HP right, the first time i faced it in my first playthrough was with the Vengarl summon. Is there any guide as to how much HP it would have had then and would it have been greater or still less than it's NG+ HP?
I believe it is still 50% more like the first so its HP would have been more than NG+ ancient dragon.

ugoo18

I believe it is still 50% more like the first so its HP would have been more than NG+ ancient dragon.

Well now it doesn't seem like such an issue since the Vengarl summon hardly did anything damage wise the first time i fought it. Definitely think i'll give it a solo shot when i come up to it.

Mistel

Banned
Well now it doesn't seem like such an issue since the Vengarl summon hardly did anything damage wise the first time i fought it. Definitely think i'll give it a solo shot when i come up to it.
You didn't kill ancient dragon the first time around then?

GorillaJu

aaaand ng+ done! (yeah i picked the silliest looking armor to be sitting down lol)

final boss took me a ridiculous amount of tries for some reason

skipped the most annoying parts, like chariot and belfry sol, and i dunno if i'm gonna bother with darklurker cos i'm a bit exhausted.

i'll do ng++ until drangleic castle for the spell achievements and probably cool off the game for a while

i'm thinking of maybe doing a mage run in ng++ to break it up a bit. soul vessels are such a great idea

edit: so how rare is mad warrior spawns? i wanna do the bellbros thing for the spell but i don't want to help that hellspawn covenant.

Chariot is annoying? That's one of my favorite fights, and it's one of the easiest, too!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't say it's objectively worse, I would say it's preference. Personally, I think the game looks pretty amazing for the most part, but some areas naturally look better than others. Have you gone to Heide's Tower of Flame yet? That's an area that's really beautiful, early in the game.

Yeah, I spoke a bit too soon. Was there soon after making that post. Was just as impressed with that as with Anor Londo, so yeah, beautiful stuff!

I think the Forest of Fallen Giants was pretty badly designed (aesthetically), especially the outside parts. Inside the fortress is ok.

My character looks like shit though, but that is mostly my own fault :p

Gattsu25

Banned
Chariot is annoying? That's one of my favorite fights, and it's one of the easiest, too!

Yeah, it's annoying. The first part of the boss is this game's bed of chaos, IMO.

I assume you never ran into the bug where you hide in the cubby corner and still get clipped by the boss as it rides past?

If anyone is getting invaded these past few days on NG+ in Harvest Valley (near the Poison Pool bonfire in the 3-4.5 mil SM range) it's probably me :O Having a blast invading here. Tons of players, lots of people co-oping for some interesting 2 and 3v1s.

GorillaJu

Yeah, it's annoying. The first part of the boss is this game's bed of chaos, IMO.

I assume you never ran into the bug where you hide in the cubby corner and still get clipped by the boss as it rides past?

Happened to me if I was facing outward once, learned to face inward and I was fine.

What a fight. Can't believe people don't like it/have trouble. It was the easiest boss fight for me in the three games I've played through, except maybe Skeleton Lords or Covetous Demon. Only died on it three or four times total, just fun times mashing skeletons.

Gattsu25

Banned
Happened to me if I was facing outward once, learned to face inward and I was fine.

What a fight. Can't believe people don't like it/have trouble. It was the easiest boss fight for me in the three games I've played through, except maybe Skeleton Lords or Covetous Demon. Only died on it three or four times total, just fun times mashing skeletons.

This the first portion of this boss probably has the highest deathrate in the game outside of Smelter. Smelter has a high death count because people don't realize that blocking is ineffective. This boss has a high death count because the first half of the fight is a gimmick fight that has buggy safe zones that arbitrarily kill you.

Happy that you overcame the bad design and realized that you will sometimes live and sometimes die if you face outward. Shame that that is not 100% accurate, though.

aravuus

Rolling from Smelter's attacks is very, very easy

e: argh, fucking stupid lag makes pvp with a fist-fighting character shit

Mistel

Banned
Just did a bunch of PVP tonight. Vanquisher's Seal is OP, but oh so fun. The fight clubs that people put on in the Iron Keep can be a lot of fun. I'm kind of tired of the Iron Keep's oppressive color scheme. What are other places that get decent PVP action? (Red Soapstone, mostly.)
Aerie, kings passage and the bit next to the cardinal tower where the pursuer is dropped off,
Rolling from Smelter's attacks is very, very easy
dark_souls_2__greatsword_players_in_a_nutshell_by_tbsdota-d7dpz6q.gif

Smelter is in the middle.

Gattsu25

Banned
Could just roll.

That's what I do, but I've pretty much given up on laying down my summon sign for that boss since the host and other phantoms will always die while staying in the cubby corners.

Edit: Regarding the Smelter rolling comments: It's the best way to fight that boss.

Started up NG+ last night and it just doesn't feel the same, maybe it's that I'm pretty OP for most encounters at this time. Is it feasible to just reroll the stats to a magic build, or better off creating a new character?

AngryMoth

Started up NG+ last night and it just doesn't feel the same, maybe it's that I'm pretty OP for most encounters at this time. Is it feasible to just reroll the stats to a magic build, or better off creating a new character?
You will be OP for the early game but don't worry you'll find plenty of challenge once you get further in. Repecing is perfectly feasible

I think the Forest of Fallen Giants was pretty badly designed (aesthetically), especially the outside parts. Inside the fortress is ok.

For whatever reason, From has a hard time with areas covered in vegetation. They pale in comparison to stone or metallic type areas. Forest isn't even the worst offender in this tegard, Shaded Ruins is just awful. The ground texture needs a lot of work.

Mistel

Banned
2.5m, Iron Keep
That's odd then that's similar to what I expect for iron king in NG+. If that's got no takers then I assume that you are out of range for everyone else in the area so I'd suggest raising your SM. Or you could try the twin dragon riders that is usually plastered with summon signs.

Newboi

I beat the Darklurker. I'm at a really high soul level after farming the Giant Lord boss (around 270 I believe). I used Profound Still on the Darklurker then threw 4 or 5 Sun Spears at it. That fight lasted all of 15 seconds maybe?

I have a +5 Mundane Santiers spear, +5 Lighting Dragon Chime, and a +10 Dark Caitha's Chime.

I'm thinking of farming the Dargon's Aerie for Twinkling Titanite, so I can have a spare +5 Havel's set to be walking tank just for fun lol. Right now I'm rocking the a +10 Faraam's set with the King's Crown look's AWESOME.

After I get tired of getting Twinks, I guess I'll join the Covenant of Champions and try farming offline NPC phantoms so I can get the Vanquisher's Seal.

Finally, after all of that is done, then I guess I'll start NG+ lol.

ugoo18

You didn't kill ancient dragon the first time around then?

Oh i did but it was with Vengarl as well which looks like it made it take a lot longer than it should have. It took 5 Soul Vortexes, 8 Soul Geysers and 10 Soul Spears to kill it with Vengarl boosting it's health so it should be easier without the summon.

Mistel

Banned
Oh i did but it was with Vengarl as well which looks like it made it take a lot longer than it should have. It took 5 Soul Vortexes, 8 Soul Geysers and 10 Soul Spears to kill it with Vengarl boosting it's health so it should be easier without the summon.
Is that the only reason for doing it again?

Just finished up NG+! Still going to do Ancient Dragon and Darklurker before jumping into NG++.

I only need achievements for Miracles, Pyromancies and "The Dark Soul." I'm only missing the spells I can buy from Wellager so I might use the "jump over Shrine of Winter" glitch to get there as early as possible for the complete.

My Soul Memory is outrageous after two games. I'm SL215ish with about 8 million SM.

My first game was a pure melee build using mastodon great sword. NG+ was a Katana/Hex build. Now I'm going to respec for a Sun Sword/FTH build.

I find respecing a great way to keep the same save file fresh.

Should I be worried about my SM? Or is it less restrictive in NG++? I had to set cross-region play to "allowed" after about 6 million to start seeing signs again. And doing bell bro invasions for the last sorcery I needed was a pain (almost 20 minutes in between summons, and that's with just sitting in the servant's quarters of Bastille).

Also, for a Sun Sword +10 / FTH build, should I imbue the Sun Sword or is the A/A STR/DEX scaling good as is?

ugoo18

Fair enough you should try it melee. The effect of giant souls caps at five for maximum limitation of Vendrick's defenses.

I just might, most of my current NG+ playthrough has been meleeing bosses with the Moonlight GS so i might as well take on the Ancient Dragon with it as well.

Just finished up NG+! Still going to do Ancient Dragon and Darklurker before jumping into NG++.

I only need achievements for Miracles, Pyromancies and "The Dark Soul." I'm only missing the spells I can buy from Wellager so I might use the "jump over Shrine of Winter" glitch to get there as early as possible for the complete.

My Soul Memory is outrageous after two games. I'm SL215ish with about 8 million SM.

My first game was a pure melee build using mastodon great sword. NG+ was a Katana/Hex build. Now I'm going to respec for a Sun Sword/FTH build.

I find respecing a great way to keep the same save file fresh.

Should I be worried about my SM? Or is it less restrictive in NG++? I had to set cross-region play to "allowed" after about 6 million to start seeing signs again. And doing bell bro invasions for the last sorcery I needed was a pain (almost 20 minutes in between summons, and that's with just sitting in the servant's quarters of Bastille).

Also, for a Sun Sword +10 / FTH build, should I imbue the Sun Sword or is the A/A STR/DEX scaling good as is?
your sm isn't outrageous.
Sun sword requires high stats to be effective, due to high scaling and low base damage.

your sm isn't outrageous.
Sun sword requires high stats to be effective, due to high scaling and low base damage.

Ah, that's good to know. I was having lots of trouble finding signs in certain areas / for certain bosses, so I set cross-region to allowed and that made it a bit more bearable. Hope it's better in NG++.

High stats as in 40/40 STR/DEX? Or even higher than that? I'm going to wear Elite Knight Armor and pretend I'm Oscar of Astoria for this run so a shield and sword combo seems necessary.

Happy that you overcame the bad design and realized that you will sometimes live and sometimes die if you face outward. Shame that that is not 100% accurate, though.
There's one alcove on the outer face of the coliseum that is misleading and doesn't keep you safe, but I believe all (or most) of the other ones do. At the very least, it's easy to know which the safe ones are by using the spots occupied by the enemies you'd want to kill anyway. (Assuming that you're actually completely inside the alcove.) It's a breeze after that.

Mistel

Banned
High stats as in 40/40 STR/DEX? Or even higher than that? I'm going to wear Elite Knight Armor and pretend I'm Oscar of Astoria for this run so a shield and sword combo seems necessary.
40/40 is the aim for the sun sword you will get a bonus 175 with it to the 175 base from the A/A scaling at max.

Good lord, I just got done with NG+ and saved Licia's invasion for last.

NG+ Ancient Dragon is actually much more easier than NG Ancient Dragon because of that ring which you can use which gives you immunity against fire breaths from behind. It also only drops on NG+ in that foggy place unless you use an Ascetic, which I haven't been to keep each playthrough experience as pure as possible.

Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I don't think there's anything quite as ridiculous for PVE as a Lightning spammer build. AI Enemies aren't as smart as human opponents, they don't dodge them at all and everything just dies in 2 or 3 bolts.

With 51 INT, Dragon Chime +5, and the Clear Bluestone Ring +2 giving 260+ Cast Speed, a basic Lightning Spear does 703 damage per cast to a Lightning neutral enemy. Great Lightning Spear does close to 1k damage per cast. Each slot gives you a minimum of 10 casts, and with 40 ATT + Hexer Hood/Saints Hood you get around 15 casts which makes it the one of the most cost effective spells in the whole game to place in a spell slot when taking damage into account, not counting the Hexes which consume souls.

FROM should really nerf that, Lightning spells are just broken in this game. I was keeping a counter for number of Great Lightning Spears required to take down a boss, and none of them ever exceeded 20 casts. The Ancient Dragon took the most, followed by the Looking Glass Knight, since I think he's resistant to Lightning and Nashandra.

I finally understand what the fuss is all about after going pure melee for my NG run. I think I'll go back to pure melee again for NG++, I feel like I was cheating the whole way during my NG+ run with the Lightning build.

Soulhouf

I beat the Darklurker. I'm at a really high soul level after farming the Giant Lord boss (around 270 I believe). I used Profound Still on the Darklurker then threw 4 or 5 Sun Spears at it. That fight lasted all of 15 seconds maybe?

I have a +5 Mundane Santiers spear, +5 Lighting Dragon Chime, and a +10 Dark Caitha's Chime.

I'm thinking of farming the Dargon's Aerie for Twinkling Titanite, so I can have a spare +5 Havel's set to be walking tank just for fun lol. Right now I'm rocking the a +10 Faraam's set with the King's Crown look's AWESOME.

After I get tired of getting Twinks, I guess I'll join the Covenant of Champions and try farming offline NPC phantoms so I can get the Vanquisher's Seal.

Finally, after all of that is done, then I guess I'll start NG+ lol.

Another poor soul went hollow :(

I don't blame you though. It's the game's fault, not yours.

Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I don't think there's anything quite as ridiculous for PVE as a Lightning spammer build. AI Enemies aren't as smart as human opponents, they don't dodge them at all and everything just dies in 2 or 3 bolts.

I finally understand what the fuss is all about after going pure melee for my NG run. I think I'll go back to pure melee again for NG++, I feel like I was cheating the whole way during my NG+ run with the Lightning build.

I like this post, I'm thinking of doing the same.

About the dodging, I've noticed that as well. Playing through Demon's Souls....I just came across a boss that comes at you and literally dodges your magic attacks. It's a little surprising that the AI doesn't have some self-preservation once you are noticed.

Overdoziz

Banned
FROM, please patch the game so the king doors stay open. It's not like I'll suddenly lose the ring and wont be able to open them anymore so there's no reason to keep closing them behind me every time.

Dyno

I'm playing my second playthrough with a duel weilder. I just wanted to keep it real simple. Got the Heide Knight Sword and then soon after the Fire Longsword. That will be it for a while. With this build I've been going through a lot of throwing knives. I actually quite like it.

The game is such a pleasure to play the second time through. The pacing is so different. I did the Forest and the Heide Tower in a single sitting, just passing through.

Top Bottom