• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Durante

I dunno, I think they suit the game very well. Think of them as a Souls version of a collectible or a traditional treasure chest.

Crystal lizards are frail, harmless creatures that provide great treasure. However, they begin to flee the moment they notice a player and they are deliberately placed in easily missable or precarious locations. Since their great treasures are not necessary to complete the game, they are more of an added bonus for players that feel up to the task of hunting them. It is good display of skill to take a crystal lizard down because they require precision, speed, and daring to actually slay, in spite of everything about them. And in true Soulsian form, there is a fake-out that players will need to account for in their lust for loot.

Gotta catch 'em all!
We sorcerers call it "Soul Spear".

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
#fashionsouls

These are the two I'm happiest with:

Horus:
4LtljmT.jpg

Beat
Vendrick
after about 6 tries. He was kind of BS, though...really strong, OHKO attacks aren't a good substitute for an interesting moveset, when trying to make a difficult boss. Ah well.

A few more bosses, and some items to clear up, and then I'm almost done with my first playthrough!

Also, RE: Fashion Souls. I think it would be fun if someone made a thread for it. Everybody could show off their sweet fashion senses.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I'm nearing the end of my first run... or at least I think so. I'm the type of player that tries to explore as much as I can before the game is over. I've come to somewhat of a cross road and I get the feeling if I choose the wrong path, the game is over. I want to know if I pursue a certain path, will it end the game. If not, about how much further I have left.

I've received the King's ring. I made my way all the up to the Dragon's Shrine. The female in the cloak made it seem like that is the final area. However, I also found a long path in Drangleic Castle with a fog covered entrance that seems like its heading towards the end of the game.

Can you tell me which way will lead to Dark Souls 2 ending so that I may avoid it to explore some more?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm nearing the end of my first run... or at least I think so. I'm the type of player that tries to explore as much as I can before the game is over. I've come to somewhat of a cross road and I get the feeling if I choose the wrong path, the game is over. I want to know if I pursue a certain path, will it end the game. If not, about how much further I have left.

I've received the King's ring. I made my way all the up to the Dragon's Shrine. The female in the cloak made it seem like that is the final area. However, I also found a long path in Drangleic Castle with a fog covered entrance that seems like its heading towards the end of the game.

Can you tell me which way will lead to Dark Souls 2 ending so that I may avoid it to explore some more?

The game doesn't automatically start ng+ so explore away with no worries.

Durante

Well, first of all, you can still explore even after completing the game, so there isn't much you can mess up in that regard ;)

But to answer your question,
the castle path leads to the end. You still have a few smaller things to explore once you finish the Dragon shrine though

The game doesn't automatically start ng+ so explore away with no worries.

Well, first of all, you can still explore even after completing the game, so there isn't much you can mess up in that regard ;)

But to answer your question,
the castle path leads to the end. You still have a few smaller things to explore once you finish the Dragon shrine though

I always wished you could do that in DS1, so I'm glad they did it that way this time.

Mistel

Banned
Also, RE: Fashion Souls. I think it would be fun if someone made a thread for it. Everybody could show off their sweet fashion senses.
Would it be eligible to be a separate topic?
I'm taking notes, can't wait to try them.
As promised knight style sets:
  • Gyrm great helm, rusted mastodon armor, rusted mastodon gauntlets and syan's leggings.
  • Alva helm, faraam torso, insolent gloves and knight leggings.
  • Alva helm, royal soldier torso, royal swordsman gloves and imperious leggings.
  • Knight helm, faraam torso, faraam gauntlets and elite knight leggings.
  • Hollow soldier helm, insolent armor (or imperious if you prefer), hollow soldier gaunlets, varagarian leggings. Hollow knight style armor.
Out of the 16 outfits I've created one or more should at least appeal to you.

If I can figure out some more I'll tell you. It's just so few of the sets go together in the wardrobe department without some rather glaring clashes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Would it be eligible to be a separate topic?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Though talk to the mods about it?

Anyway: 65 Faith, Sunlight Spear Miracle you get from Sunbros: DIS-AP-POINTED.gif

Great Dragon? 85 Damage. For 3 charges and two slots of your belt.

Are you fucking kidding me, From? :| Maybe I need one of the bells that aren't the starting one. But seriously: All that pumping into stats without Spices to lower the requirements for... that damage and charge/slot requirement?

Kwixotik

Just now bought the game. Is the 360 version good?

Also going in 100% blind except for having played the first two games. Any tips I should be aware of?

Mistel

Banned
Just now bought the game. Is the 360 version good?

Also going in 100% blind except for having played the first two games. Any tips I should be aware of?
It's alright got some screen tearing sometimes (I think that's what it's called) but no sort of blighttown 2.0.
I don't see why it wouldn't be. Though talk to the mods about it?
Probably not.
Well if anyone is interest I don't mind asking and making the thread.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I dunno, I think they suit the game very well. Think of them as a Souls version of a collectible or a traditional treasure chest.

Crystal lizards are frail, harmless creatures that provide great treasure. However, they begin to flee the moment they notice a player and they are deliberately placed in easily missable or precarious locations. Since their great treasures are not necessary to complete the game, they are more of an added bonus for players that feel up to the task of hunting them. It is good display of skill to take a crystal lizard down because they require precision, speed, and daring to actually slay, in spite of everything about them. And in true Soulsian form, there is a fake-out that players will need to account for in their lust for loot.

Gotta catch 'em all!
I don't know man. It doesn't take skill to catch a crystal lizard, only luck and/or strong ranged attacks (as Durante quipped, Soul Spear does the trick). It's just an annoying mechanic that doesn't add much value to the games, IMO.

maomaoIYP

I don't know man. It doesn't take skill to catch a crystal lizard, only luck and/or strong ranged attacks (as Durante quipped, Soul Spear does the trick). It's just an annoying mechanic that doesn't add much value to the games, IMO.

That one lizard in tower of latria.....that leads you running down a very dark corridor right into a pitfall....... I thought it was brilliant.

But anyway in DkS2 every lizard (with the exception of the one at huntsman's three thief ambush) can be easily killed by 2H a giant/great club. Running R1 cancelled directly into a R2.

So I had an argument with my friend today because he said Dark Souls 1 and 2 were bad games because he couldn't really play it with M+KB and because they didn't even change the button prompts. To me that sounded absolutely crazy because I don't complain that strategy games suck with a controller and the game is clearly designed around playing it with a controller yet he refuses to buy one because M+KB is and should be the primary input method for games you play on a PC. What say you, GAF?

I'll never understand this mentality. PC isn't about "omg mouse and keyboard best input method for all genres and games no matter what," it's about choice. You have the freedom to choose what input method is best, and in the Souls series' case, it's a controller. Not owning a controller for your PC is baffling to me.

goonie

Well if anyone is interest I don't mind asking and making the thread.
I might not have a lot of say, but I think a separate thread would be cool. Sometimes I want to post pictures here, but I usually miss the conversations regarding fashion souls and I'd rather not interrupt at that point.

The more I do PvP the more I'm not liking this game.

I just had ten matches in a row where I was killed because of phantom zone attacks, even with 100+ agi.

I'm so pissed. The mechanics are far, far superior to Dark Souls, but the under the hood something is so fucking wrong.

Mistel

Banned
I'll take part
as a handphone-pic-quality-console-peasant

I might not have a lot of say, but I think a separate thread would be cool. Sometimes I want to post pictures here, but I usually miss the conversations regarding fashion souls and I'd rather not interrupt at that point.
Yep we can do it not exactly sure what to call it though any ideas for a title? I've just got Fashion souls.

Fashion souls: Praise the fashion?

I think it works best if Fashion is only in the title once. Perhaps a synonym for fashion in the "Praise the..." part? (Just a thought though, I really don't mind too much, so whatever people like.)

Here's another couple of ideas:

Fashion Souls: The Real Dark Souls Starts Here
Fashion Souls: Fine Work, Skeleton!

(Okay, that last one doesn't really work, I just can't help but laugh every time I see that message next to a skeleton.)

Mistel

Banned
I think it works best if Fashion is only in the title once. Perhaps a synonym for fashion in the "Praise the..." part? (Just a thought though, I really don't mind too much, so whatever people like.)

Here's another couple of ideas:

Fashion Souls: The Real Dark Souls Starts Here
Fashion Souls: Fine Work, Skeleton!

(Okay, that last one doesn't really work, I just can't help but laugh every time I see that message next to a skeleton.)
Well if were going for fashion only once:

Fashion Souls: What is bravery, without a dash of style?
Fashion Souls: Artorias (Attires?) of the Fabulous
Maybe doesn't seem to roll of the tongue as it so were.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Didn't someone tell me there's a staff/whatever that lets you use Hexes, Miracles, and Spells from it interchangeably? The wiki has no such item?

Any advice on my build?

Dual wielding with two warped swords gonna switch to spiders silk once I can upgrade it a bit. Wearing lucatiel's set.

I think those are my stats. I'm in NG+ and I'm feeling really weak compared to some of my other characters. Anyone have advice for tweaks?

njean777

The more I do PvP the more I'm not liking this game.

I just had ten matches in a row where I was killed because of phantom zone attacks, even with 100+ agi.

I'm so pissed. The mechanics are far, far superior to Dark Souls, but the under the hood something is so fucking wrong.

You are not alone, I have ok internet and every single duel I go into I have massive lag. I will get backstabbed from across the room or hit with magic that clearly missed, it is just a mess. I actually have had better luck on DS than in DS2.

Finally beat the game! Almost 100 hours played. Company of Champions for the entire playthrough, and never summoned. (Although I started a secondary character that I've been playing on the side to enjoy co-op with.)

Post ending thoughts:

I was expecting the ending to be short and ambiguous, just like Dark Souls 1. So I had no problems with it, for the most part. Except the fact that you weren't given a choice. It is also disappointing that after you go back to the Far Fire after the end, the Emerald Herald doesn't have any new dialogue for you. I also wish you could go back and just sit on your throne. Kind of weird that they don't let you do that.

I'm as befuddled by the story as I expected I would be, and am very looking forward to diving into the various lore theories and videos. That was one of my favorite aspects of Dark Souls 1, so I'm excited to be able to start putting things together.

Final boss was kind of meh.

Overall, it was a great game. It has some pretty big problems, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it thoroughly. Looking forward to finishing off the stuff I need to in NG and then starting NG+.

Finally beat the game! Almost 100 hours played. Company of Champions for the entire playthrough, and never summoned. (Although I started a secondary character that I've been playing on the side to enjoy co-op with.)

Post ending thoughts:

I was expecting the ending to be short and ambiguous, just like Dark Souls 1. So I had no problems with it, for the most part. Except the fact that you weren't given a choice. It is also disappointing that after you go back to the Far Fire after the end, the Emerald Herald doesn't have any new dialogue for you. I also wish you could go back and just sit on your throne. Kind of weird that they don't let you do that.

I'm as befuddled by the story as I expected I would be, and am very looking forward to diving into the various lore theories and videos. That was one of my favorite aspects of Dark Souls 1, so I'm excited to be able to start putting things together.

Final boss was kind of meh.

Overall, it was a great game. It has some pretty big problems, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it thoroughly. Looking forward to finishing off the stuff I need to in NG and then starting NG+.

The lack of impact your decisions since the beginning was a a bad sign, In DS1 was clearly you are a undead and have no idea where to and have to figure out in your path then you heard about the chosen undead and slowly, in your path of exploration, they insert you the idea about you CAN be that chosen undead you can quit and play another character and your formerself, your player was clearly not the chosen undead and you can see other guys trying to be that chosen being killed, cursed, turned into stones, taking the bells or putting the lord vessel before or after you so its clearly a race of who will be that chosen.

In DS2 that feeling is diluted about find the king thats all, the world and the enemies reacts only to you and only you about be the danger of change or breaking the circle giving you being the central protagonist of the game like a hero you know it will make it to the end no matter what happens.

hmm i aggro'd the blacksmith at majula with the stupid butterfly armor, how can i befriend him again?

cromwell?

Yep, pretty much yes

ugoo18

Does anyone know how much of a HP increase NG+ and onwards bosses have. I kind of want to face the Ancient Dragon again and i want to know what kind of HP i'd have to deal with before deciding to fight him or not.

hmm i aggro'd the blacksmith at majula with the stupid butterfly armor, how can i befriend him again?

cromwell?
Pay a huge amount of soul to remove your sin.
Or kill him, pay small amount of soul every time you visit his gravestone.
Or kill him, pay nothing, just use other blacksmiths in the game instead.

Pay a huge amount of soul to remove your sin.
Or kill him, pay small amount of soul every time you visit his gravestone.
Or kill him, pay nothing, just use other blacksmiths in the game instead.

Isnt he the only one who gives you the bosses armors? also it counts to an achievement to collect all the npcs to majula I think

Isnt he the only one who gives you the bosses armors? also it counts to an achievement to collect all the npcs to majula I think
That's the armor merchant. The black dude chilling in the house next to the big hole in majula.
The blacksmith in majula is completely worthless. He offers you nothing but convenience for repairing and upgrading.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the game looks worse (but smoother) than Dark Souls PTD (with DSfix).

Is something the matter with my settings or is this really the case? I'm using GeDoSaTo, rendering at 2560x1600 -> 1920x1200, have in-game AA on and AO and DOF off as the instructions told me to.

zkylon

zkylewd

aaaand ng+ done! (yeah i picked the silliest looking armor to be sitting down lol)

final boss took me a ridiculous amount of tries for some reason

skipped the most annoying parts, like chariot and belfry sol, and i dunno if i'm gonna bother with darklurker cos i'm a bit exhausted.

i'll do ng++ until drangleic castle for the spell achievements and probably cool off the game for a while

i'm thinking of maybe doing a mage run in ng++ to break it up a bit. soul vessels are such a great idea

edit: so how rare is mad warrior spawns? i wanna do the bellbros thing for the spell but i don't want to help that hellspawn covenant.

I feel like the game looks worse (but smoother) than Dark Souls PTD (with DSfix).

Is something the matter with my settings or is this really the case? I'm using GeDoSaTo, rendering at 2560x1600 -> 1920x1200, have in-game AA on and AO and DOF off as the instructions told me to.

Can you pin down exactly what doesn't look as good? Maybe you just don't like the new aesthetic? Because from a technical standpoint, it's definitely better looking than DS1. It's more debatable from an art direction standpoint. (While I really like the overall aesthetic of DS2, some people prefer DS1's.) It's arguable that some areas aren't as detailed either.

Just did a bunch of PVP tonight. Vanquisher's Seal is OP, but oh so fun. The fight clubs that people put on in the Iron Keep can be a lot of fun. I'm kind of tired of the Iron Keep's oppressive color scheme. What are other places that get decent PVP action? (Red Soapstone, mostly.)

Top Bottom