• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

AngryMoth

What are the easiest to miss secrets? I always feel like I've found them all then suddenly a wall falls down in some random place and I'm blown away.

I'm specifically talking about the wall behind the poison vases in No Man's Wharf.
I imagine a lot of people don't think to back to brightstone and miss the dragon memory.

There's some pretty inconspicuous secret doors too like the one where you get the sorceress staff in FoFG or the one in the bell room in undead crypt.

Talking about secrets, how do you enable the shortcut in the second bondfire in the forest of giants

All I know you need to use the bombs to destroy the wall but no idea

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That whole section of FotFG with the Giant Tree that bears Seeds on a % chance every time you get invaded.

The shortcut to the Skeleton Lords through the little cave.

In Harvest Valley the Sunbro area is pretty hidden. Also in Earthen Peak there are many paths and shortcuts. Also the rooftop area where you meet Gilligan.

That room with the statue in Lost Bastille and, hell, a good portion of the level accessed from the No Man's Wharf area but requiring the Bastille Key to unlock.

Second bonfire in Aldia's Keep by the acid pit with the dogs.

That Tower of the Dead area of Shrine of Amana guarded by another Prowling Magus and housing a Milfinito and the shrine that restores your humanity if you have no human effigies. Also the areas where you get the helix halberd, king's soul + gear and the sunlight blade.

Undead Crypt would be getting Avelin in the room where Ursurper Invades.

Lots of people seem to miss crystal magic weapon in the Dragon Shrine.

GorillaJu

Started a new character (deprived, of course) to try a pyro knight build. Free small smooth & silky got me the white ring and prettified something got me channeler's trident.

nLWspeE.jpg

AngryMoth

Seems like the any% WR is going to be at least sub 25mins when someone gets a decent run thanks to the ridiculous air walk glitch. Watching distortion at the moment, he almost had it but forgot to level dex so he couldn't use his weapon effectively to beat the final bosses lol

zkylon

zkylewd
mad warrior with that lag mod thing is pretty alright

got 3 parts of his set (sword, mask and leggings) in 23 kills. might put some fun music, try go to 50 and see if i can get the full set, predator samurai too cool to pass

Seems like the any% WR is going to be at least sub 25mins when someone gets a decent run thanks to the ridiculous air walk glitch. Watching distortion at the moment, he almost had it but forgot to level dex so he couldn't use his weapon effectively to beat the final bosses lol
It's fun to see how quick speedrunners can do a run atm - kinda - but it feels empty and I still prefer to see "proper" runs that don't "abuse" these things that hopefully get patched. To me these speedruns just highlight what a buggy, shitty mess DS2 is.

All the Shrine of Winter OOB skips and binoboosting in the world aren't as amazing as the first time I saw someone take the drop down Blighttown, or even dropping down the Pit to the Gutter as fast as possible, popping lifegems as they go. Legit shortcuts and strats are much more entertaining to me.

mad warrior with that lag mod thing is pretty alright

got 3 parts of his set (sword, mask and leggings) in 23 kills. might put some fun music, try go to 50 and see if i can get the full set, predator samurai too cool to pass

What kind of item find are you using? I got his whole set and sword in about 15 kills. Just using Merchant Hat and the Gold Serpent +1.

Z..

What the fuck is wrong with the devs?
Oo
Just finished Drangleic Castle, at 60 hours in and I STILL can't find a decent staff anywhere.
The good ones available so far all require me to have high faith (which makes 0 sense) or are incredibly rare drops.
What the fuck, From? What is up with this bullshit?

i used a lot of them and they never did what i wanted lol

like if enemies are scripted in any way they're effectively immune to alluring skulls

that sucks hard

They don't affect all enemies. I did have good luck against the Ran Vanguard (or Authority...?)

Plus most stuff in Black Gulch : Lucitiel, 2nd bonfire, Dark Covenant guy.

Mistel

Banned
Oo
Just finished Drangleic Castle, at 60 hours in and I STILL can't find a decent staff anywhere.
The good ones available so far all require me to have high faith (which makes 0 sense) or are incredibly rare drops.
What are you looking for in this staff?

UrbanRats

It's fun to see how quick speedrunners can do a run atm - kinda - but it feels empty and I still prefer to see "proper" runs that don't "abuse" these things that hopefully get patched. To me these speedruns just highlight what a buggy, shitty mess DS2 is.

All the Shrine of Winter OOB skips and binoboosting in the world aren't as amazing as the first time I saw someone take the drop down Blighttown, or even dropping down the Pit to the Gutter as fast as possible, popping lifegems as they go. Legit shortcuts and strats are much more entertaining to me.

In my last playthrough, i used the Shrine of Winter skip to do Drangleic before most of the other areas and bosses, and it was a lot of fun, personally.
I love this kind of freedom in games, even if not officially supported in this case.

So yeah, i get what you're saying, but i hope they don't patch it out.

AngryMoth

Some glitches like binoboosting make them more entertaining to watch I think and I never had an issue with the shrine skip, but yeah I'm definitely feeling this new glitch breaks the game a bit "too" much. There's always the all bosses category though.
Oo
You can get the sorcerer's staff in the forest of fallen giants but it's very well hidden.
Behind a secret door at the bottom of a staircase in the area behind the gate where Pate is

Mistel

Banned
You can get the sorcerer's staff in the forest of fallen giants but it's very well hidden.
Behind a secret door at the bottom of a staircase in the area behind the gate where Pate is
You can also buy one from Carhilion for a very low cost. Maybe the lizard staff?

Z..

What are you looking for in this staff?

I'm not looking for anything, I'm just stating a fact. This is a lame job by the the dev's part. Almost 60 hours in and the first staff I got is still just as good as any other I can use at this point? It's ridiculous.

There's plenty of others but they ALL require faith (which, again, is supreme bullshit... I get that Hexes are a thing, but it still makes no sense at all). Which I don't have and don't plan on having.

The only chance you have at getting a decent staff (I mean... I can't even get a B scaling staff, for christ's sake) if you're an INT build before the final segment of the game is the lizard staff... which is a rare drop from 4 mobs who don't respawn.

I've been using that one since I started... Came with my class, but I do have that specific one too. How is a C scaling staff good?
A/S are good. B is decent. And there's not a single one of those available so far. There's the lizard staff, but good luck getting it.

Mistel

Banned
The only chance you have at getting a decent staff (I mean... I can't even get a B scaling staff, for christ's sake) if you're an INT build before the final segment of the game is the lizard staff... which is a rare drop from 4 mobs who don't respawn.
Necromancer in huntsmans copse drops lizard staff that's early.

zkylon

zkylewd

this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/162/?

used with durantemod it replaces some mad warrior texture with one that lags a bit when loaded. so like you rest at the bonfire a bunch of times and whenever the mad warrior spawns he'll load that texture and you'll notice a small hitch. it's impossible to miss

it's really useful since it saves you the trouble of checking yourself every time by going up the stairs, etc.

What kind of item find are you using? I got his whole set and sword in about 15 kills. Just using Merchant Hat and the Gold Serpent +1.
i think you were pretty lucky

i have merchant hat, ragged clothes and gold serpent +2

imma burn a lot of rusted coins now, can't think much use for them otherwise

Z..

Necromancer in huntsmans copse drops lizard staff that's early.

They do. They also don't respawn. And there's only 4 of them. So unless you ALREADY KNOW they won't be respawning and keep farming the chariot boss necromancers and homeward bone-ing out, you're literally fucked. You're essentially punished for not reading guides. How fantastic.

Which is a VERY big unless.

Sorry, they fucked up in this regard. No other way to put it.

krakov

I understand what you are saying and agree in spirit, though I'm pretty tired of seeing Great Resonant Soul being cast for an hour. The "regular" speedrun strat in Dark Souls 2 is so boring that I'll take whatever else is on offer.

Just started playing again for the first time since launch. Where can I get some arrows? I just met Pate but got killed by swarm outside of the cross bow trap area.

I miss DS1's glossyness as it made the undead burg and surrounding areas of a similar look as Forest of the Giants seem more dank and atmosoheric as opposed to the shadowless/lightless look here in DS2. But the cloth physics!

Also, a while back I burned a human effigy thinking it was the only way to reverse hollow and it voided invasions. I want to reverse this but that bone thing isn't working. How do I use that?

Mistel

Banned
You mean the 4 necromancers that don't respawn? The exact enemies referenced in his post?
I read that wrong then.
Which is a VERY big unless.

Sorry, they fucked up in this regard. No other way to put it.
Just like the phantoms that don't respawn unless they are revived via ascetic. Several things can only be got from them.

Just started playing again for the first time since launch. Where can I get some arrows? I just met Pate but got killed by swarm outside of the cross bow trap area.
Lenigrast the blacksmith in Majula.

I'm not looking for anything, I'm just stating a fact. This is a lame job by the the dev's part. Almost 60 hours in and the first staff I got is still just as good as any other I can use at this point? It's ridiculous.

Tell me about it, I only used two staffs in this game compared to three I used in DS1, I had to go back for my fashion souls collecting staffs

Z..

Just like the phantoms that don't respawn unless they are revived via ascetic. Several things can only be got from them.

Several things... which have alternatives. In this case, unless you have a hybrid faith/int build, you're stuck with a subpar staff (which should be your "weapon of choice", by the way) for 80% of the game. It's bullshit. Supreme bullshit.

I'm not mad or anything, but c'mon... this is dumb.

Booshka

I understand what you are saying and agree in spirit, though I'm pretty tired of seeing Great Resonant Soul being cast for an hour. The "regular" speedrun strat in Dark Souls 2 is so boring that I'll take whatever else is on offer.

A couple people gave pure melee Maces and Great Club Any % and All Bosses runs a shot, solely because of how boring Hex runs are. But, they are slower, and the game isn't as fun to run, so now it's just break the shit out of the game until you get a fast time. Which at this point is more preferable, because PvE is pretty boring in this game, so watching runners do whatever possible to get through the game in some insane broken ways is entertaining.

Santzo84 went back to running Dark Souls 1 to try and reclaim his Any% WR, and man is that game so much more fun to watch.

Mistel

Banned
Several things... which have alternatives. In this case, unless you have a hybrid faith/int build, you're stuck with a subpar staff (which should be your "weapon of choice", by the way) for 80% of the game. It's bullshit. Supreme bullshit.

I'm not mad or anything, but c'mon... this is dumb.
It is very dumb I don't know why they had to change to this style of drops. I can't dress up as an onion knight which sucks.
Don't remember seeing anyone. But why do I remember fighting someone a while back? Oh no, did he aggro on me? I'm not even sure if I'm remembering something real or not...
You didn't murder him perchance did you?

It is very dumb I don't know why they had to change to this style of drops. I can't dress up as an onion knight which sucks.

You didn't murder him perchance did you?
For some reason, I remember fighting a human opponent in Majula but I don't really know for sure as I was also playing DeS heavily before DS2 came out. And it's been so long in game time lol. How would I know if I did?

edit: I don't have the game on anymore because I'm off to bed so for all I know, this guy could be there somewhere. Is he hidden?

Respeccing in NG++ for a STR/FTH build using Sun Sword. Should any points go into INT at all? If not, my int would remain at 3.
If you are not into hexing, there's absolutely no reason to invest in intel. Use lightning infused dragon chime. It requires 50 faith and it is the best faith spell casting tool in the game.

Haunted

In a game with so much incredible attention to detail, there are some puzzling omissions I'd like to see adressed in future games.

Animation on NPC characters. Lip syncing middleware is available, please use it. Rosabeth's first dialogues are comical when she just stands there, completely motionless while the voice actress is coughing her lungs out. :lol

Infusing weapons should have visible effects on the weapons. They don't have to be as pronounced as the resin/ooze effect, but they should be there. If I find a Fire Longsword, I fucking want a Longsword that's on fire. :D

game-of-thrones-beric-dondarrion.jpg

binoboost + dual mace strat is pretty fun

Generally, I agree that the community has found abusable strategies much faster than before. The fast travel mechanic also took some of the fun out of the route-finding in DS1. It's still fun to watch, though!

I miss DS1's glossyness as it made the undead burg and surrounding areas of a similar look as Forest of the Giants seem more dank and atmosoheric as opposed to the shadowless/lightless look here in DS2. But the cloth physics!

Also, a while back I burned a human effigy thinking it was the only way to reverse hollow and it voided invasions. I want to reverse this but that bone thing isn't working. How do I use that?
The blacksmith in Majula sells arrows.

If you want a more dank and atmospheric glossy look, there are ENB presets for that. :D

I think 90% of players burn an effigy by accident the first time because the game does such a poor job of explaining the difference. :D There's no way to reverse it, but it should dissipate after an hour of in-game time, I think.

Mistel

Banned
Respeccing in NG++ for a STR/FTH build using Sun Sword. Should any points go into INT at all? If not, my int would remain at 3.
None at all as Violentine says another benefit is that you can simply murder a NPC for the best charm in the game with pretty much no consequences.
For some reason, I remember fighting a human opponent in Majula but I don't really know for sure as I was also playing DeS heavily before DS2 came out. And it's been so long in game time lol. How would I know if I did?

edit: I don't have the game on anymore because I'm off to bed so for all I know, this guy could be there somewhere. Is he hidden?
There's two ways to tell one is if there's a gravestone nearby the blacksmith and two if you've got the blacksmith's hammer. If both of those are met then you murdered him. Lenigrast looks like this:
sYduf5k.png

That staff thing bugged me as well. The Witchtree Branch is a good "mid-game" staff in my opinion.

So the progress (for soul magic) is starting staff - witchtree - staff of wisdom... At least in my case.

So what's a good magic build at SL150ish? I'm respecing, but kind of lost at how to go. I'm rocking the Witch's Staff + Lion Mage gear right now and have Lighting Spear, GLS, Dark Orb, + some Soul Arrows attuned.

Halp

Booshka

My new shit: power stance great club and gyrm greataxe with 75 STR. Would large club be better?

Not sure if there is ever a point where the S scaling of Large Club takes over the higher base damage of Great Club, but with 75 STR, it may do more damage, or the same damage, and Large club weighs less so it might be worth it.

Could be another all bosses WR incoming.

http://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz

I'm having a lot of fun watching speed runs, might try and get into it myself
That damage is insane. What the hell? And at such a low level. It's like easy mode.

Do you miracle/hex users really do that much damage? 700-1000 damage per attack! And the lightning spear was only doing ~100 damage to the
Darklurker
, but it still took off a huge chunk of its health somehow. Maybe I'll re-roll for fun in NG+.

Top Bottom