• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Haunted

Watching DS1 veterans blind let's play this game is physically painful when they keep hitting the walls marked by "illusory wall" messages.

Physically painful.

zkylon

zkylewd
48D188500CCC3D0A307901379644BD448003EF7F

respecc'd for magic, i have no idea what i'm doing lol

(i should've prolly bought more spells, i feel like i'm forever running out

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
FINALLY IT'S OVER.

Dark Souls 2 Platinum Get.

That makes both darks games fully completed.

Now to take a long break and come back only to find FROM has probably not patched anything.

respecc'd for magic, i have no idea what i'm doing lol

(i should've prolly bought more spells, i feel like i'm forever running out

Mm? where do you get that staff, also the homing soul mass its useless in DS2 more like a situational spell, I stick with the arrows the entire run mostly until you get the souls geyser

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not looking for anything, I'm just stating a fact. This is a lame job by the the dev's part. Almost 60 hours in and the first staff I got is still just as good as any other I can use at this point? It's ridiculous.

There's plenty of others but they ALL require faith (which, again, is supreme bullshit... I get that Hexes are a thing, but it still makes no sense at all). Which I don't have and don't plan on having.

The only chance you have at getting a decent staff (I mean... I can't even get a B scaling staff, for christ's sake) if you're an INT build before the final segment of the game is the lizard staff... which is a rare drop from 4 mobs who don't respawn.

I've been using that one since I started... Came with my class, but I do have that specific one too. How is a C scaling staff good?
A/S are good. B is decent. And there's not a single one of those available so far. There's the lizard staff, but good luck getting it.
Have you tried the Witchtree Branch? I used that for most of the mid-game on my sorceress, it's pretty good, stronger than sorcerer staff and slightly faster casting IIRC, and no faith requirement.

Riposte

Lighter, better damage and scaling than the gyrm great axe. Drakekeeper's Greataxe +10 is 380 with A/E scaling. Gyrm +10 is 360 with B/E scaling.
Well you are wrong about one thing: it doesn't give gyrm axe power stance moveset. Kind of wish I realized that before bringing it to +10 and using a soul vessel.

Looks like it hasn't been mentioned yet. There is a new nVidia driver out today that adds a Dark Souls II SLI profile.

In case anyone cares, I upgraded drivers today and the official Dark Souls II SLI profile has the massive lag spikes in certain areas... like when you approach the well in Majula for example. Oh well, back to 0x02506405 for me.

Riposte

Dual greatswords aren't actually the best, but they look cool as hell.

Do zweis actually have better reach than the greatsword? That sounds wrong.
Zweihanders are crazy long.

At +10, zwei are 350 B/C and mastodon are 300 A/E. My STR is 60, DEX is 21. Zwei seem better, but mastodons look faster.

GorillaJu

They do. They also don't respawn. And there's only 4 of them. So unless you ALREADY KNOW they won't be respawning and keep farming the chariot boss necromancers and homeward bone-ing out, you're literally fucked. You're essentially punished for not reading guides. How fantastic.

Which is a VERY big unless.

Sorry, they fucked up in this regard. No other way to put it.

Not that this is any way an argument to your overall point, but you can just kill the two necromancers in the Chariot fight, then quit if they don't drop the staff and they'll respawn but you won't take any deaths.

Booshka

Distortion2 just got 28:01.13 for his Any% run. Only have to kill three bosses to get to end credits with Airwalking glitch, game is so broken lol.

Sub 25 mins is definitely possible.

zkylon

zkylewd
Mm? where do you get that staff, also the homing soul mass its useless in DS2 more like a situational spell, I stick with the arrows the entire run mostly until you get the souls geyser
no idea where i got that staff but traded it for staff of wisdom since it's just stronger

i've gone now with two types of heavy arrows (i think normal and great?), spear and greatsword. seems to be working ok, but magic's less fun than i hoped it'd be. soul geyser i can't use right now so imma try and use some spices in iron keep

so far i've done last giant, dragonrider, pursuer and ruin sentinels. ruin sentinels gave me a bit of trouble but it was just 3 or 4 tries, not too bad

i'm now having a really bad time even getting to lost sinner and skelly lords. i probably should've upgraded a bit more intelligently, i'm out of twinkling and dragon bones to upgrade any of the mage weapons so i feel kinda weak, even tho i'm dealing loads of damage.

it's interesting, imma keep like this as much as i can, might get some summoning but i love that they added respeccing and now i can see what high level sorcery is like.

might try pyromancies too

Mistel

Banned
Undead crypt after the imperious knights I think.
Well you are wrong about one thing: it doesn't give gyrm axe power stance moveset. Kind of wish I realized that before bringing it to +10 and using a soul vessel.
I never said it did have that moveset.

maomaoIYP

So what's a good magic build at SL150ish? I'm respecing, but kind of lost at how to go. I'm rocking the Witch's Staff + Lion Mage gear right now and have Lighting Spear, GLS, Dark Orb, + some Soul Arrows attuned.

Halp

At SL150 you need focus instead of branching out into miracles, sorcery and hexes.

30/30 for hexes.
64 or anything below for pure sorcery
50 for miracles, then put points into STR/DEX

Haunted

Distortion2 just got 28:01.13 for his Any% run. Only have to kill three bosses to get to end credits with Airwalking glitch, game is so broken lol.

Just watched that run. Hadn't seen the airwalking glitch before.

Pretty much my reaction:

1156.gif

Soulhouf

Several things... which have alternatives. In this case, unless you have a hybrid faith/int build, you're stuck with a subpar staff (which should be your "weapon of choice", by the way) for 80% of the game. It's bullshit. Supreme bullshit.

I'm not mad or anything, but c'mon... this is dumb.

Witchtree Branch is pretty good. Has an average scaling but decent damage over all and incredibly fast casting. It has one of the highest casting speed in the game I believe.
B scaling with magic infusion and 230 base damage at +10.
It's really good to carry you through the game until you find the OP staffs.

That damage is insane. What the hell? And at such a low level. It's like easy mode.

Do you miracle/hex users really do that much damage? 700-1000 damage per attack! And the lightning spear was only doing ~100 damage to the
Darklurker
, but it still took off a huge chunk of its health somehow. Maybe I'll re-roll for fun in NG+.

It's a visual glitch with lightning spear. It says 100 damage but it's actually around 1000.

I understand what you are saying and agree in spirit, though I'm pretty tired of seeing Great Resonant Soul being cast for an hour. The "regular" speedrun strat in Dark Souls 2 is so boring that I'll take whatever else is on offer.
That's true actually. I've never even used hexes yet in this game but I feel like I know them so well and don't want to join the masses in using them.

In my last playthrough, i used the Shrine of Winter skip to do Drangleic before most of the other areas and bosses, and it was a lot of fun, personally.
I love this kind of freedom in games, even if not officially supported in this case.

So yeah, i get what you're saying, but i hope they don't patch it out.
I don't really mind that speedrunners use glitches etc, that's cool finding these things in the game that shouldn't be - but these are glitches that will make regular online play a total mess (if they aren't already). The speedruns and YT videos are showing the game as total shitbox, so I hope From are scrambling to fix as many as they can, the binoboosting and skywalking is all gamebreaking bullshit. In a speedrun environment that's fine - speedrunners can always stay on a preferred version of the game, but these are things that impact the game for everyone - I would be ashamed if I were From seeing all this stuff!

UrbanRats

I don't really mind that speedrunners use glitches etc, that's cool finding these things in the game that shouldn't be - but these are glitches that will make regular online play a total mess (if they aren't already). The speedruns and YT videos are showing the game as total shitbox, so I hope From are scrambling to fix as many as they can, the binoboosting and skywalking is all gamebreaking bullshit. In a speedrun environment that's fine - speedrunners can always stay on a preferred version of the game, but these are things that impact the game for everyone - I would be ashamed if I were From seeing all this stuff!

Uhm, i guess in the context of PvP they could give an unfair advantage.
I guess since i don't do PvP myself (unless when i'm forced to, like when i'm invaded) i didn't care much for it, but yeah, that's a problem.

Also, i'm not lifting responsibility from FROM/Namco, mind you, just saying that being able to do Drangleic early on was a fun experience for me, personally.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I hate
Vendrick...
So many deaths.

I can feel myself getting better, though. But I still haven't got DSII's rolling rhytm down.
This is the game's real endboss. Even the Darklurker is easy compared to him, in my experience. :/

KhayN

Neo Member
I hate
Vendrick...
So many deaths.

I can feel myself getting better, though. But I still haven't got DSII's rolling rhytm down.
This is the game's real endboss. Darklurker is easy compared to him, in my experience. :/

just try to stay behind him as much as you can, always towards his left side.. he's pretty slow it should be really easy to take him down that way

Ruuppa

Tried some Red arena last night. The things I've seen..

Lag so bad that everything freezes, only to come back to die to 4 Soul Vortexes at once.
Santier's, Avelyns, Havels, Monastery Scimitars.. So many and all Dark/Mundane, good lord.
Running to flask multiple times and then taunting on victory..

Sentinels arena is miles better than that place, I mean, wow.

To top it off, I noticed why I hadn't been poisoning anyone with power-stanced Mytha + Poison Mail Breaker: Mytha doesn't actually attack at all if held in left hand and using L1. The dual-attack animation plays, but the attack's hitbox doesn't activate, so I was only hitting with Mail Breaker the whole time.

Leunam

Depends on the arena.

On the bottom floor of the arena with the elevated stone walkways they can run around the columns and heal pretty easily. Anywhere else then I have Hexing Urn ready to throw and it always catches them.

Soulhouf

That's the fucking worst isn't it? I almost beat a guy twice but he healed up both times from very low health.

Especially now with the binoculars speedhack, more and more people are using it to get away and heal.
I stopped doing PvP until FromSoft fix the mess that is DSII right now.

Watching DS1 veterans blind let's play this game is physically painful when they keep hitting the walls marked by "illusory wall" messages.

Physically painful.

Who are you watching?

Watching Brandon LP it blind is hilarious and infuriating in equal measures. He keeps destroying chests thinking its a mimic. Keeps getting rubbish from it.

onionfrog

Do you have a link to the twitch archive? I'd be interested in watching this.

I did catch some of his stream last night, but not this complete run.

I saw him repeatedly use a soul item over and over. Does anyone know how that works?

It looks like he was selecting use from the inventory screen, then quickly re-entering the screen and dropping the soul item as it was being used. Then he'd pick it up again and repeat. Crazy!

no idea where i got that staff but traded it for staff of wisdom since it's just stronger

i've gone now with two types of heavy arrows (i think normal and great?), spear and greatsword. seems to be working ok, but magic's less fun than i hoped it'd be. soul geyser i can't use right now so imma try and use some spices in iron keep

so far i've done last giant, dragonrider, pursuer and ruin sentinels. ruin sentinels gave me a bit of trouble but it was just 3 or 4 tries, not too bad

i'm now having a really bad time even getting to lost sinner and skelly lords. i probably should've upgraded a bit more intelligently, i'm out of twinkling and dragon bones to upgrade any of the mage weapons so i feel kinda weak, even tho i'm dealing loads of damage.

it's interesting, imma keep like this as much as i can, might get some summoning but i love that they added respeccing and now i can see what high level sorcery is like.

might try pyromancies too

Well, your sorcery strengh always relies on your catalyst, the best catalyst so far in terms of progresion worth upgrading are the starter catalyst<witch catalyst<wisdom catalyst.

Most of the sorceries players get bored of using only spells and use a melee weapon to aid them in combat so you can infuse a weapons with magic elemental damage and it scales with your int if you want to go melee sometimes.

Hexes are more stronger in the start and really advisable to use when the mage is drwning in souls, Pyromancy is still DS2 easy mode and miracles can be used as a dual class because of its healing and high damage spells

The utlity spells were mostly removed or are no longer useful, the ones still working for our mages are the falling spell, the light spell so far and the chameleon spell is used more in pvp rather than pve.

Mistel

Banned
Do you have a link to the twitch archive? I'd be interested in watching this.

I did catch some of his stream last night, but not this complete run.

I saw him repeatedly use a soul item over and over. Does anyone know how that works?

It looks like he was selecting use from the inventory screen, then quickly re-entering the screen and dropping the soul item as it was being used. Then he'd pick it up again and repeat. Crazy!
Similar to the boss soul back step dupe in the first.

Hayabusi

So I am about to finish my first NG playtrough and I have a greatsword +10 equipped.
Can someone shine some light on enchanting?

Is it worth it to get lightning or fire for example? I know that this will reduce the physical damage and that the sword has to break two "defenses" in order that the two damages add up.

Mistel

Banned
So I am about to finish my first NG playtrough and I have a greatsword +10 equipped.
Can someone shine some light on enchanting?

Is it worth it to get lightning or fire for example? I know that this will reduce the physical damage and that the sword has to break two "defenses" in order that the two damages add up.
Go STR/FTH and infuse with lightning watch everything die. Simple.

Why are there tons of blood stains in between the kings door and the fog wall in throne of want? Is there another npc invasion there that I didn't get for some reason also?

mikeybass

Neo Member
Any suggestions on a STR/FTH weapon for a new NG playthrough?

I finished on +10 Lightning Mace last time but want to go a bit more strength-based this time?

Anything to aim for? I hear Gyrm weapons and Mastodon GS bandied around here a lot.

Top Bottom