• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

HeelPower

Guys my PC version is having major performance issues.

Is there a way I can re-install the game without having to redownload it from steam or lose data ?

Is there a way I can re-install the game without having to redownload it from steam or lose data ?

You should be able to backup local content on any Steam game Right-click on the game title in Steam and you should be able to do it there. Not sure if it saves your profile and game saves.

Arcayne

PLATINUM!

First time getting a platinum...ever. I'm feeling all grossly incandescent as fuck. PRAISE THE SUN.

DS1, you next!

HeelPower

You should be able to backup local content on any Steam game Right-click on the game title in Steam and you should be able to do it there. Not sure if it saves your profile and game saves.

yup aware of the backup option.But how exactly do I reinstall after that ? This is my first time doing this so I don't know.

I don't wanna redownload because I don't have good internet atm.

yup aware of the backup option.But how exactly do I reinstall after that ? This is my first time doing this so I don't know.

I don't wanna redownload because I don't have good internet atm.

Test it on another game. Is there an option if you right-click on one of your uninstalled games to restore local content?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Reinstalling shouldn't and wouldn't correct performance issues.

Verify integrity of the game cache through Steam, Edit: Right click the steam game > properties > local files > verify integrity of game cache. This should have basically the same effect of reinstalling, it will check all your files to make sure they are as they should be. after that, you should post what your settings are that your using and your PC specs and we can try and help.

If you're using GeDoSaTo, try disabling "force borderless windowed mode", that might give you a performance boost.

HeelPower

Reinstalling shouldn't and wouldn't correct performance issues.

Verify integrity of the game cache through Steam, Edit: Right click the steam game > properties > local files > verify integrity of game cache. This should have basically the same effect of reinstalling, it will check all your files to make sure they are as they should be. after that, you should post what your settings are that your using and your PC specs and we can try and help.

If you're using GeDoSaTo, try disabling "force borderless windowed mode", that might give you a performance boost.

Just incase you accidentally missed it while responding to Orthogonal, I replied about your problem in the post above you.

Thanks I saw your reply.

I verified integrity and nothing changed.

I don't know what happened. My game had good performance on medium settings since launch but suddenly starting having terrible performance for no reason I can identify.

Low framerate, delayed button responses and I can't pinpoint the reason.

Here are my specs. I also have Nvidia Geforce GT 620 M.

R0QfRd6.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks I saw your reply.

I verified integrity and nothing changed.

I don't know what happened. My game had good performance on medium settings since launch but suddenly starting having terrible performance for no reason I can identify.

Low framerate, delayed button responses and I can't pinpoint the reason.

Here are my specs. I also have Nvidia Geforce GT 620 M.

R0QfRd6.png

Could you post your settings, and whether youre using any mods?

The game's medium setting.I even tried low settings and its still terrible.I tried turning off anti-aliasing and SSAO and it still didn't help much.No mods used.

Maybe your graphics drivers updated automatically? See when they were updated and roll them back if they changed recently.

It doesn't actually remove sin it just de aggroed NPCs. If you've not got sinner status you should be fine.

That forgiveness thing is weird though.

I have 150k souls worth of forgiving to get apparently, but the only 'NPC' I've killed is the ancient dragon and I've never invaded nobody on this save (I always back up my save, use all my orbs, then restore, since I only had like 10), and have - sin.

I did hit lucietal once by accident but she didn't seem to mind, and ornifax once got hit by a spider mob, but that's it.

Ruuppa

That forgiveness thing is weird though.

I have 150k souls worth of forgiving to get apparently, but the only 'NPC' I've killed is the ancient dragon and I've never invaded nobody on this save (I always back up my save, use all my orbs, then restore, since I only had like 10), and have - sin.

I did hit lucietal once by accident but she didn't seem to mind, and ornifax once got hit by a spider mob, but that's it.

Did you assist Pate or Creighton in Brightstone Cove? I hear assisting either in the fight gets you sin.

Mistel

Banned
The pardoner is not an accurate way of telling sin as I'm sure you have just figured out. It means that you've committed sin but not enough to reach the sinner threshold.

When I've seen people get stronger rings they've burned a bonfire ascetic to get it from say a boss. Do the bosses always drop stronger rings in NG+?

A better way to ask, I'm in NG+ now, should I still burn a bonfire ascetic to get better drops from a boss?

Also I think every single wall in the game has "illiusionary wall ahead" on it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Where is that video? I thought about doing a character like that and naming him Leroy Jenkins.
can't find it, but i think it was a dark souls 1 video. the guy basically does this whole pledge thing to frampt then dresses up in full solaire armor, joins the sunbros and puts down his sign, then proceeds to grief the fuck out of whoever summons him lol

Mr.Mike

So I'm a new player who's recently gotten into Dark Souls 2. I've made it to about level 60-ish with a armoured dude using a shield and great sword who started out as a bandit. But now I want to try out a caster.

Is a pure caster build viable, or should I also invest points into vitality and strength so as to do an armoured caster thing? Also, can I invest in both faith and int in order to do spells and miracles, or should I focus on one of the two?

zkylon

zkylewd
So I'm a new player who's recently gotten into Dark Souls 2. I've made it to about level 60-ish with a armoured dude using a shield and great sword who started out as a bandit. But now I want to try out a caster.

Is a pure caster build viable, or should I also invest points into vitality and strength so as to do an armoured caster thing? Also, can I invest in both faith and int in order to do spells and miracles, or should I focus on one of the two?

i'm playing a mage right now and while you can do alright using mostly magic, but not exclusively, no. same way as you can't do 100% melee or else you'll be crying in some later parts in the game. you can, however, make your weapons scale with your int so you have like an enchanted sword or something and don't have to waste many points on str or dex to deal teh damagez

as for the faith/int thing, it depends: pyromancies scale off both stats and hexes have both faith and int requirements, so there's that. sorceries scale exclusively off int and have int requirements, and miracles with faith.

you'll probably want to focus on one of those four, if anything to make your character more focused (i mean you can totally dump 60 points into everything and be a does-it-all monster but what's the fun in that?), but after you choose which one just put points on the stat that most benefits it.

also put a bunch of points into attunement since that lets you have more spell slots which is very important since you want to find multiple scrolls of the same spell to have more available casts (say each soul spear scroll is 4 casts, so if you have 3 you have a fucking bunch of em)

PranooY

Ok, so I finished Dark souls yesterday and I started Dark Souls 2 today.

Some premature thoughts (suggestions or any help is welcome)----
This HP reduction on death is really pissing me off. Demon Souls had them too, but your starting HP was pretty substantial. And its pretty hard to get a good sword after starting a new game. And I feel that it'd be better to be a sorcerer than a melee character. Also I hear that unlike humanity, human effigy is pretty hard to come by. So chaos weapons (Is there any?) aren't much useful I suppose. Guess I better get the ring of life protection. Btw I hear that I can repair it.

I just played only an hour or two. So I guess the issues are due to sudden transition and I'll gradually get over it.

Mistel

Banned
Same way as you can't do 100% melee or else you'll be crying in some later parts in the game.
You can still do it but it will be harder to do so.

This HP reduction on death is really pissing me off. Demon Souls had them too, but your starting HP was pretty substantial. And its pretty hard to get a good sword after starting a new game. And I feel that it'd be better to be a sorcerer than a melee character. Also I hear that unlike humanity, human effigy is pretty hard to come by. So chaos weapons aren't much useful I suppose. Guess I better get the ring of life protection. Btw I hear that I can repair it.

I just played only an hour or two. So I guess the issues are due to sudden transition and I'll gradually get over it.
Human effigies are farmable and there's no chaos weapon upgrade path anymore there's infusions instead. You can have either the ring of binding which caps loss of HP so it can go no lower than 75%. Or you can get life protection which costs 3K to fix per breakage.

zkylon

zkylewd

This HP reduction on death is really pissing me off. Demon Souls had them too, but your starting HP was pretty substantial. And its pretty hard to get a good sword after starting a new game. And I feel that it'd be better to be a sorcerer than a melee character. Also I hear that unlike humanity, human effigy is pretty hard to come by. So chaos weapons (Is there any?) aren't much useful I suppose. Guess I better get the ring of life protection. Btw I hear that I can repair it.

none of those issues are actually that bad. small spoilers if you want to ease your pain:
there's a cling ring equivalent
human effigies are a bit rare in ng but you can buy them from vendors and they're more than enough
ring of life protection can be fixed at the blacksmith and it's kind of easy mode, specially on ng+ when you have like 4 or 5 of em
you can just put down your summon sign, help a brother out and gain human form pretty easy if you want to save up effigies
i beat the game as pure melee on my first try and it's not that bad

You can still do it but it will be harder to do so.
yea that's what i meant

Booshka

You can wear the ring of scrub protection after you die for your corpse run. You don't need to have it on all the time. If you die, put it on, then go for your bloodstain, unless you are worried about losing Human form, but in that case, just put down a Baby White sign, help someone for like 3 minutes, and you will get your human form back, as well as Souls.

I never had a problem getting human form back, I would just put a small white sign down whenever I wanted to get it back. I did it all through out the game whenever I died, also, dying in co op doesn't reset your bloodstain in your world, so it's literally no risk all reward.

PranooY

none of those issues are actually that bad. small spoilers if you want to ease your pain:
there's a cling ring equivalent
human effigies are a bit rare in ng but you can buy them from vendors and they're more than enough
ring of life protection can be fixed at the blacksmith and it's kind of easy mode, specially on ng+ when you have like 4 or 5 of em
you can just put down your summon sign and gain human form pretty easy if you want to save up effigies

Cool.
Btw Its not difficult, its just confusing cause I just finished dark souls.

Btw What is the difference between small and normal white summon soapstone. And people place summon signs near boss fog gate, I suppose?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The game's medium setting.I even tried low settings and its still terrible.I tried turning off anti-aliasing and SSAO and it still didn't help much.No mods used.

Huh. Yeah I'd check for a driver update as mentioned by NaturalHigh, and I'd check to see if you have anything weird running in the background.

Also, it's a laptop right? I'd try making sure it's set to high performance mode as well as plugged in to the wall.

Then, if still a no go, go to

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

select "Change advanced power settings", and set the CPU to always stick with max power and see if that changes anything.

zkylon

zkylewd
Cool.
Btw Its not difficult, its just confusing cause I just finished dark souls.

Btw What is the difference between small and normal white summon soapstone. And people place summon signs near boss fog gate, I suppose?
afaik small one lasts less time but you can be summoned even after killing the area boss

small soapstone gives you small and silky stone while regular soapstone gives you a token of fidelity or sunlight medal if you're a sunbro

and yea people put down their summon signs usually next to the boss

also try not to use the ring of life protection. it's lame. just put your soapstone down and sunbro it up

The Chef

Any chance my old and busted 2010 MapbookPro could run this?

2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5
8 GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
120GB SSD

I have a feeling the answer with be a big fat no.

Toxi

Banned
Those of you working your way through no bonfire and no death runs, are you using the glitches some of the speed runners have highlighted? Until I saw the recent ~22min speed run, I had zero interest in attempting a zero death or zero bonfire attempt, but knowing I could attempt it using those methods and it not cost me a huge amount of time is hugely appealing, and rather invigorating.
It will cost you a huge amount of time learning how to parry walk right.

Original Shrine of Amana was hell for melee.

zkylon

zkylewd
Original Shrine of Amana was hell for melee.
my bad, i used bows for shrine of amana and a few other places

mostly melee, not pure melee :p

but that's usually the souls games for ya, you can do pure melee/range but there's really no reason to aside from specifically challenging yourself

NG+ is so easy with Vanquisher's Seal.

One of the few times I've lost during my invasions--if you get backed into a corner with someone rocking that and fists..you. are. fucked.

As for GRS, mentioned it earlier, but I think it'll remain popular. If anything, people will probably start rocking the Abyss Seal to go with their hexes (as long as that isn't fucked hardcore).

I like to swap my shit around, as my main is a Melee/Hexer. I'll probably swap over to some magic invasions. Rock the MGS since I never actually gave it a whirl. I think this patch will do wonders for weapon diversity, though. Greatswords will probably go up in use, but heavy weapons and lighter swords will see a ton of use as well.

God, this game's OST is so much better than Dark Souls'. It's not Demon's Souls level, but few games are.

Man, I totally disagree. Aside from the Majula track, I don't feel like there's any standouts like Ornstein and Smough's theme, Firelink, things like that.

What tracks on DS2's OST are your highlights?

edit: Old Dragonslayer's theme is pretty good too.

Top Bottom