• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mogwai

Can someone give me a hint on how I avoid that Ancient Dragon moves from its initial spot?

Some people suggest the strategy where I keep baiting his frontal flame attack. But when he takes off it has moved forward and I'm dead.

Ruuppa

Can someone give me a hint on how I avoid that Ancient Dragon moves from its initial spot?

Some people suggest the strategy where I keep baiting his frontal flame attack. But when he takes off it has moved forward and I'm dead.

You have to be smashing his back-toes for him to stay still. When he takes off while you're there, he'll land on approximately the same spot. Run towards his tail if you're under him and he starts flying.

Easiest way to dodge his flying fire while trying to bait his frontal flamebreath is to sprint diagonally to his left or right.

Mogwai

You have to be smashing his back-toes for him to stay still. When he takes off while you're there, he'll land on approximately the same spot. Run towards his tail if you're under him and he starts flying.

Easiest way to dodge his flying fire while trying to bait his frontal flamebreath is to sprint diagonally to his left or right.
I tried to smack his back feet. And then run along his tail when he takes off. But at some inevitable point, his tail points out into nothing and I can't run that way.

I then thought the frontal strategy would be better, but that doesn't seem like it.

Ruuppa

I tried to smack his back feet. And then run along his tail when he takes off. But at some inevitable point, his tail points out into nothing and I can't run that way.

I then thought the frontal strategy would be better, but that doesn't seem like it.

The frontal strategy is better, but only with ranged attacks. If you only have melee, that strategy is harder to execute. Smacking his toes is the optimal melee strat, but it's quite random sometimes.

Edit: I guess you can do the breath-baiting with melee as well, you just have to be quick at the trigger and only hit him maybe once each breath.

Mogwai

The frontal strategy is better, but only with ranged attacks. If you only have melee, that strategy is a lot harder to execute. Smacking his toes is the optimal melee strat, but it's quite random sometimes.
Hmm, I better go the melee way then. Seems I have more luck with that.

Oh man, I have thre paths that lead to three different bosses ahead of me (Dragon Rider, Old Dragon Slayer, and The Pursuer). Each one is relatively easy, it's just my weapons, health and defense aren't doing me any favors when I make a mistake. Any other option/path?

Ruuppa

Oh man, I have thre paths that lead to three different bosses ahead of me (Dragon Rider, Old Dragon Slayer, and The Pursuer). Each one is relatively easy, it's just my weapons, health and defense aren't doing me any favors when I make a mistake. Any other option/path?

Buy the Silvercat Ring and go spelunking in the well. Good times will not be had, but good loot might be had.

Buy the Silvercat Ring and go spelunking in the well. Good times will not be had, but good loot might be had.
That's the thing. I need to farm for souls to buy/upgrade equipment, but if I farm too much, enemies stop respawning leaving me with less options to acquire souls. Is there really a chance I could make all enemies extinct screwing me over until I reach a new area or are there enemies that always respawn no matter? That first giant knight was a great enemy to farm souls but he's gone and the others may disappear too.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Go between his hind legs. Do not go directly behind them. Stay exactly where his feet are. Do not lock on and keep the camera angled so you can see one of his front legs. Whack his foot a couple times he'll usually go for a stomp. If you alternate behind hitting his hind legs he's more likely to just try to stomp you. If you see his front paw lift you'll have enough time to either find his tail and run for it or dodge the flame he shoots directly underneath himself. The trick is to always have enough stamina to be able to run. Also you if you arent you should be two handing, shield or not if he can one shot you with the flame youre boned either way.

Ruuppa

That's the thing. I need to farm for souls to buy/upgrade equipment, but if I farm too much, enemies stop respawning leaving me with less options to acquire souls. Is there really a chance I could make all enemies extinct screwing me over until I reach a new area or are there enemies that always respawn no matter? That first giant knight was a great enemy to farm souls but he's gone and the others may disappear too.

Short of Bonfire Ascetics, all those enemies will eventually disappear if you farm them. You should just summon some helpers and go whack Dragonrider, that'll open another route for you from Majula.

You can farm near-infinite souls by helping other people with bosses, which is also good training to fight them later on.

My favorite so far alonside with nashandra, majula and the opening theme, dunno why this OST is so quiet compared to DS1 chorus galore

Is it even possible to get dragon rider to fall off the cliff? I'm trying to do it for fun, but, he just knocks me off as soon as I enter. I don't think it's possible, I really don't, or they changed his AI so he never goes towards the cliff. 20x now I've died, I don't think it's possible. This is seriously fucking stupid, how do i get him to fall off the cliff? How do those speed runners manage to get him to fall? Seriously this shit is fucking impossible. They must have patched it, they must have because he won't go near the cliff.

I think they patched him to not jump backwards when he is near of the egde

Dont autofocus him, stay always on his left toe, and run away when it jumps, armor doesnt matter in this fight, its more like hit and run so use the stamine ring for those nonsensical runs

Minamu

What the fuck? It;s like dragon rider decided to give up on life. Game bug? He suddenly turns around and runs off the cliff for no fucking reason. He hadn't attacked and missed, he just randomly decided to fuck it and run off.

I don't know. I've watched those stupid youtube videos, but, it never works, he won't do it for me.
It won't work if you raise the floor, in case you did that. Haven't tried it myself though so might be wrong there.

Is there a lore reason why Dragonrider and The Duke's Dear Freja have a song that sounds almost identical to each other without it actually being the same? I just noticed it last night on Freja (Dragonrider is one of my favorite tracks) because of the instrument screeching/wailing (not sure what to call it) sounding the same. I went to the OST and, sure enough, Freja has her own theme.

I suppose the dragon memory being in the same room as her and the master possibly having ties to Seath have something to do with it?

Is there a lore reason why Dragonrider and The Duke's Dear Freja have a song that sounds almost identical to each other without it actually being the same? I just noticed it last night on Freja (Dragonrider is one of my favorite tracks) because of the instrument screeching/wailing (not sure what to call it) sounding the same. I went to the OST and, sure enough, Freja has her own theme.

I suppose the dragon memory being in the same room as her and the master possibly having ties to Seath have something to do with it?

lazy sound designer maybe

The dragon corpse is an everlasting dragon like the one you meet in DS1 but is a reused model from the ancient dragon

Firebrand

Is there a bug with picking up bloodstain souls? I got summoned just as I reached my bloodstain. Helped fend off two belfry invaders, then did the gargoyles... got back, picked up my bloodstain immediately and counter stopped at 6970. Oh well.

Also Dice, er, From, please fix the inputs for guardbreaking / jumpattacks, grrr. Invaded a guy who kept his shield up all the time and I just couldn't get guardbreaks off. I guess I'll have to look into that deadzone fix someone linked.

Z..

Ancient Dragon.

Yeah, From... sorry, but no. Worst boss ever? Worst boss ever. It's so bad and obvious it's embarassing. I feel dirty for even contemplating actually killing him. This is such lazy design. Lol.

Only Vendrick and Darklurker left! ^^

Toxi

Banned
Try Dragon Rider. With a shield (Especially a decent one like Maughlin the armorer sells) you can block his attacks no problem, and I don't recall any that destroy guards. Circle strafe and you'll have little issue.
Ancient Dragon.

Yeah, From... sorry, but no. Worst boss ever? Worst boss ever. It's so bad and obvious it's embarassing. I feel dirty for even contemplating actually killing him. This is such lazy design. Lol.

Bed of Chaos is still worse, but Ancient Dragon's definitely in the bottom five.

PranooY

You can be invaded while hollow in DS2. And yeah, you can get two invaders in the belfries. It's sort of the equivalent of the forest in DS1.

So, its that covenant thingy. I thought so. Funny thing is, my soul arrow has no effect on the dude. Why is that? I mean it doesn't even chip his health.

So, its that covenant thingy. I thought so. Funny thing is, my soul arrow has no effect on the dude. Why is that? I mean it doesn't even chip his health.

Lag or a cheater, most likely. I've seen quite a few laggy hits where on my screen it's obviously that something connected, but the other player receives no damage.

PranooY

Lag or a cheater, most likely. I've seen quite a few laggy hits where on my screen it's obviously that something connected, but the other player receives no damage.
Hmm.. I thought my Intelligence-25 was too low may be for his magic defending armour or something.

Ancient Dragon.

Ancient dragon aka guardian dragon aka drake or vendrik aka last giant aka giant lord

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ancient Dragon.

DarkLurker is awesome. An asshole for pure melee, but still awesome. Wish you could wear his gear. Vendrick is tedious and yeah, basically Giant Lord. For Darklurker: make sure you leave the Drangleic portal for last!

NBtoaster

In theory Ancient Dragon is the ultimate Dark Souls fight. You need perfect positioning and knowledge of his attacks and can't be greedy at all. But...one hit kills are lame.

sikkinixx

Level 146 and I finally beat it. 29ish hours.

I co-op'd every single boss (I think? Except for the Giant memory which was easy as hell) and did the majority of the levels first as a phantom then with some buddies so this game felt VASTLY different to DS1 where I only co-op'd a couple of times.

Getting 30 Great Lightning Spears with a maxed out chime with 50 faith was insane, everything died so fast.

Fun game, not as memorable or as griping as the first but a good romp. Might try another play through with sorcery as the dudes I played with who had crazy soul spear shit WRECKED enemies.

H2Yo

So I've beaten the Ancient Dragon and now have all
5 giant souls
but for the life of me, I cannot beat
Vendrick

I think after this boss, I'm either going to go for the Dark Lurker or just finish the game.

I have tried many methods to beat
Vendrick
, since I'm a Faith build, I've been using Great Lightning Spear and Sun Spear.

NBtoaster

5 giant souls
Vendrick

I think after this boss, I'm either going to go for the Dark Lurker or just finish the game.

Vendrick

He can't hit you if you get close and constantly circle right.

5 giant souls
Vendrick

Vendrick

He is tricky as mage, but here is how i got him. Do a backwards circle strafe leading him around the perimeter. Bait a swing attack, roll back and hit with lightning spear. Rinse and repeat. Vendrick dead.

crozier

I actually had a easier time soloing him once I figured out this tactic as I had some degree of control over which attack came next:

Run up but stop short of his head by several meters. Once the animation for the fire breath starts, roll right/left towards him and whack his front toes a couple times, then run *just* under his face to where it brushes against you and it'll trigger a bite. Roll backwards to avoid that, then smack him in the head once or twice. Back up a few meters and wait to see whether the next attack is aerial (you'll see his wings flap: RUN TOWARDS ZONE ENTRANCE....it could be my imagination, but jumping while running seems faster) or another fire breath from ground level. The trick is positioning yourself somewhat close to his head when the aerial attack both begins and ends: i.e. only stand a few meters from him before it goes off (just far enough back to see his wings flap and give you enough time to hit the zone) then start running back toward him *before* he begins his descent. He'll move a bit forward each time, but after a good 10 minute fight I still had enough room to not get burned.

So yeah, you want anything that's going to increase your run/roll speed. Secondary would be +fire resist and +life if it helps you take a hit without going down.

Z..

For Darklurker: make sure you leave the Drangleic portal for last!

I haven't done any of the 3 yet... it's literally the only thing I have left to do in this playthrough. Why do you say I should leave Drangleic for last? Is it the easiest?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I haven't done any of the 3 yet... it's literally the only thing I have left to do in this playthrough. Why do you say I should leave Drangleic for last? Is it the easiest?

Drangleic is closest to a bonfire, but I think the Shaded Woods one is definitely the one that should be saved for last because it's the easiest. It takes a little bit longer to run back through the area to it, but it's significantly easier to get through.

Booshka

Drangleic is closest to a bonfire, but I think the Shaded Woods one is definitely the one that should be saved for last because it's the easiest. It takes a little bit longer to run back through the area to it, but it's significantly easier to get through.

Also, assholes like myself tend to invade in the Drangleic Dark Chasm area more than the other ones. Although if I invade someone twice in a row, I make it a co op session and help him kill the NPC's.

Really fun area to invade/mercy co op.

maomaoIYP

That seems to be very-rarely-used-by-hackers Infinite Health cheat. Verily, it has been many a hacker that I've seen that has not used it.

There are a lot of hackers that only turn the hacks on when things are "unfair", like 2v1 in Belltowers, invasions when they don't want any etc. Usually hackers are crap in the game itself, due to not ever learning how to play. That would explain why he didn't manage to kill either of you even while cheating.

You can even see the spot where the cheater turns on the cheat, he just stands there doing nothing for a good while, as if he alt-tabbed out to turn the cheat on.

Booshka

Any chance they fix the Shrine skip with the patch?

I'd like to do the skip in NG++ to grab those spells earlier than usual.

It's just a calibration, so I doubt it, a lot of the major issues will require a pretty huge patch, so for now, all the common glitches and exploits are free to use.

Thrakier

So I finished the game, about 40 hours. Overall enjoyable. The fact that I put 40 hours in it is a testatement of itself, I think. Some areas were pretty bad, some were great. Overwhelemd by all the options and stats, I couldn't have finished it without a walkthrough and co-op though but maybe that is just the nature of the beast.

I have a feeling like a new Souls game has to be wildly different and overhauled so that it doesn't seem to be "old" on the one hand, and on the other hand there is a risk that it starts feeling like some sort of MMO.

5 giant souls
Vendrick

Vendrick
I would recommend ditching the lightning spears and two handing your weapon. Use Sunlight Blade and Sacred Oath - or whatever buffs you have or can equip, even a resin.

Stick to the back/side of his left leg and circle slowly as he does, this spot is a deadzone for that single horizontal swipe of his, and he won't do the three hit version when you are here. Don't get greedy, and if he does vertical slashes simply roll or walk out of the way, but always sticking to his left leg. Try not to be pushed up against him as this can make him jump back.

The only problem comes if he does jumps back and is close to the wall or is against the wall just from walking around - making it difficult to straif him. In those situations try to reset him asap by getting away from him leading towards the centre of the room and get back to circling him and sticking to that left leg.

Jaeger

Are most of you fellows in NG+? I only have one character in ng+. Just wondering where everyone is at.

My main is in NG+++, IIRC. I'm working on 3 others now, all in just NG.

I'm going to run around (or walk real slowly) as an Old Knight Cosplay, soon. DEF and STR build incoming.

Top Bottom