• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I'm surprised they didn't touch throne defender's great sword.

I'm horrible at PVP but I've been 2-3 shotting people in stunlocks /w the LT buff and 3-4 shooting people without it all day on friday.

I really don't like buffing weapons in PVP, I didn't ever buff my greatsword if the person who summoned me didn't buff theirs.

I think I'll just respec quality and forgo weapon buffs altogether. I should probably aesthetic a ring of blades +2 and cloranthy +2 before I do though while I'm still hex/dark darkdrift.

Finally overcame my switch back to melee in NG++ and finished it. Bloody hell was Nash harder than I remembered, when up close and personal. Doing her after the Throne Dudes back to back was also a big mistake.

Goddamn, am I tempted to use some spells in NG+++, going pure melee again in NG++ after the lightning cakewalk I had in NG+ was rather traumatic. So many unnecessary deaths due to readjustment and taking enemies lightly. When multiple grunts can off you in a single combo even with 2k HP, experimentation dies out pretty fast.

In any case, I'll be leaving the game alone for a few days, I'm feeling rather sick of it after finishing 2 playthroughs back to back with no other games in between to act as a palate cleanser in between the playthroughs. I had a break in between NG and NG+ with Child of Light, so perhaps it is time to go back to it.

Fixes some OP weapons/spells, and nothing else. Still waiting for a proper patch.

They really gimped the Monastry Scimitar's parrying frames though. The peckers overrelying on it in PVP for the insta-parry are probably QQing right now.

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to DS. I started as a Knight. I want a character thats can wield big weapons and medium to heavy armor without "fat rolling". I also want this character to have some offensive magic spells. What do I do? Dump points into STR,VIT and INT?

NoWayOut

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to DS. I started as a Knight. I want a character thats can wield big weapons and medium to heavy armor without "fat rolling". I also want this character to have some offensive magic spells. What do I do? Dump points into STR,VIT and INT?

Big weapons require high STR and are usually heavy so you need VIT especially if you go heavy armor. Don't forget that you also need a decent amount of HP and stamina to be viable. If you want high INT as well you will have to wait when you are past sl 100-120 to do everything.

My suggestion is to start with a STR build until you are able to use your weapon and armor of choice without fat rolling, then start adding INT as needed.

Big weapons require high STR and are usually heavy so you need VIT especially if you go heavy armor. Don't forget that you also need a decent amount of HP and stamina to be viable. If you want high INT as well you will have to wait when you are past sl 100-120 to do everything.

My suggestion is to start with a STR build until you are able to use your weapon and armor of choice without fat rolling, then start adding INT as needed.

So basically, until I get to LV100-120, Focus on STR and VIT.

Edit: I would also like to use lightning or fire weapons........Faith?

Ruuppa

So basically, until I get to LV100-120, Focus on STR and VIT.

Edit: I would also like to use lightning or fire weapons........Faith?

Faith for Lightning, the Lightning -bonus gets nice and big on high Faith. Fire you can use pretty much without either of the spell-stats, but you'll have to wait a long time for the weaponbuff
(Unless you Bonfire Ascetic The Lost Sinner)
. If you don't want to invest in Fai/Int, that's the way to go.

Watch out for the weird targetting on heavy weapons, and be aware that many of them have horrifyingly slow recovery times.

Watch out for the weird targetting on heavy weapons, and be aware that many of them have horrifyingly slow recovery times.

Yeah, what the heck is up with that lol. It wierded me out during my experimentation, it doesn't track like it used to in DkS1. Your hits land upon where your character was facing at that instant instead of where your locked on target is, was quite comical to witness. Really put me off the Ultra weapons.

holy fucking shit fuck the Pursuer. Fuck him. Why the fuck is it not possible fucking parry him? Someone please tell me why its so hard.

Ruuppa

holy fucking shit fuck the Pursuer. Fuck him. Why the fuck is it not possible fucking parry him? Someone please tell me why its so hard.

Look at how Elajjaz does it in his speedrun vids. I did that and managed to do it every time afterwards. Use a Parrying Dagger or a Buckler for some extra parryframes.

You've got to aim the attacks now for ultras once you get it down it's easy.

It's a bit offputting when you're backpedaling and hit attack, and your guy does a 180 and smacks behind him, giving a free backstab to the opponent. Especially since this doesn't happen with any other weapon category but Ultras. If I want to do a unlocked slam I'll do it while I'm unlocked, dangit!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I tried, and it wont fucking work. This is really fucking stupid, it's not fair.

It will work. I don't mean this condescendingly but really, you gotta use more skill. That's what parrys take. They're super tough to do, it takes practice.

If you want to make it easier, try using the parrying dagger in your off hand.

Ruuppa

Oh yeah, one more really important thing you have to know about Ultra/Heavy weapons, Dizastah:

They break like the finest porcelain.

Carry at least 3 of them on your person if you want to consistently get from Bonfire to Boss to Bonfire, or use the Bracing Knuckle Ring / copious amounts of Repair Powder.

That is, if you're on the PC. You're fine if you're on the consoles, I think.

I tried, and it wont fucking work. This is really fucking stupid, it's not fair.

Only parry the dashing singular attacks. Don't bother with the others.

Took me awhile to get used to the timing with a Small Shield, but once I had it down, he was a cakewalk. I prepped 4 offline characters at the very first time you can fight him (next to the 2nd FOTG bonfire) for the purpose of practising this.

fff, I am a fucking moron. I am a giant moron. I couldn't parry because I was using a greatsword+great shield. You can't parry with a great-shield...

Mistel

Banned
fafafa, im so mad I'm crying with rage. this is stupid, it's broken, I don't like it.
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or serious Alim.
It's a bit offputting when you're backpedaling and hit attack, and your guy does a 180 and smacks behind him, giving a free backstab to the opponent. Especially since this doesn't happen with any other weapon category but Ultras. If I want to do a unlocked slam I'll do it while I'm unlocked, dangit!
It is a tad offputting I don't actually know where that move would be helpful. But I usually two hand most of my strength weapons anyway.

Oh yeah, one more really important thing you have to know about Ultra/Heavy weapons, Dizastah:

They break like the finest porcelain.

Carry at least 3 of them on your person if you want to consistently get from Bonfire to Boss to Bonfire, or use the Bracing Knuckle Ring / copious amounts of Repair Powder.

That is, if you're on the PC. You're fine if you're on the consoles, I think.

I may not use heavy weapons. I think I'm good with regular ones......maybe some spears or something. I'm using a Claymore +5 right now. Not sure how far this will take me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You can't parry with a great-shield...

1O0UnYG.jpg

taybul

It's possible to parry him. See this for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfo_sbhI5oY

It contains an NG+ (and onwards) exclusive fight against the Pursuer.

I saw this and parried him on the first attempt on a rush and thought "hey this makes this fight so much easier". Of course it was all beginner's luck because I couldn't do it again. I said F it, raged in and beat him flawlessly just with dodging
after many more attempts after the lucky parry

Lost sinner one shot me...how is that happen? Anyways, getting to the Lost Sinner is a pain in the ass. Those exploding guys are broken still...

Overdoziz

Banned
Lost sinner one shot me...how is that happen? Anyways, getting to the Lost Sinner is a pain in the ass. Those exploding guys are broken still...
Just run in a straight line once you're down there and nothing will hit you. Still a long walk, but at least you won't get killed that easily.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
How do I enter the harvest valley again? I was wandering around with my pally tank and got lost
Harvest Valley is after Skeleton Lords. So get your ass to Huntsman's Copse.

Also @parry-talk: for Dark Souls 1 I felt like if you had the right shield you could parry all day without trouble. For Dark Souls 2 you gotta really know your shit to pull it off. Maybe that's just nostalgia talking but I found parrying a lot easier in the first one.

Ruuppa

Yeah, lighting the flames should help keep track of her better, so you can see your healing openings better.

I think lighting the flames also allows you to lock-on to her from further away as well. I always have problems locking on whenever I don't light the fires.

Top Bottom