• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

shiroryu

Pure mage build here, SL70 (STR 7, everything else in INT/ATN/FTH/ADP plus a bit of health), just took down Ruin Sentinels (hard ass fight for my mage), because I don't dodge that much, preferring to block and strafe. Large Leather Shield, how I love thee. Where's my 100% shields from DS1 though :|

Anyways, where do I go from here? Is the Belfry and/or Lost Sinner better, or should I go for Huntsman Copse first? Or that door past Benhart?

Soulhouf

Faith for Lightning, the Lightning -bonus gets nice and big on high Faith. Fire you can use pretty much without either of the spell-stats, but you'll have to wait a long time for the weaponbuff
(Unless you Bonfire Ascetic The Lost Sinner)
. If you don't want to invest in Fai/Int, that's the way to go.

Not really. Most of the time the lightning scaling is crap. If you want to use lightning infused weapons, put just enough faith to use sunlight blade.
The bonus you gain doesn't depend on your faith, it's only 50 + 30% of the lightning damage of your weapon.

Pure mage build here, SL70 (STR 7, everything else in INT/ATN/FTH/ADP plus a bit of health), just took down Ruin Sentinels (hard ass fight for my mage), because I don't dodge that much, preferring to block and strafe. Large Leather Shield, how I love thee. Where's my 100% shields from DS1 though :|

Anyways, where do I go from here? Is the Belfry and/or Lost Sinner better, or should I go for Huntsman Copse first? Or that door past Benhart?
Any of those ways are viable. Huntman's Copse might be the most useful.
For upgrading your gear

PranooY

Belfry Gargoyles are a pain in the ass. Neither can i summon any NPC there Nor find any player summon signs. I am a melee+magic guy, so my magic isn't powerful yet. :(
In addition, that area is full of invaders.

Ruuppa

Not really. Most of the time the lightning scaling is crap. If you want to use lightning infused weapons, put just enough faith to use sunlight blade.
The bonus you gain doesn't depend on your faith, it's only 50 + 30% of the lightning damage of your weapon.

With a high lightning -scaling weapon (Defender Greatsword), I get a lot of extra lightning damage per point of faith, but YMMV. That + 30% bonus gives a huge amount of mileage as long as your weapon already has a decent lightning attack. If you're not going to make a cleric of some kind, just Spice up Sunlight Blade as low as you can go, and it'll still give good damage.

You mean the guy at the very beginning? He very kindly gave me a set that I'm using right now. Is there anything else that can help?
No, I meant further on that direction - past Huntsman's Copse, there's a
upgrade material merchant
and
an ember that allows you to infuse your weapons
. So that path is useful for anyone to do asap. Don't read those spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled though!

Mogwai

*nergasm*

I finally beat that Ancient Dragon. Went with the toe strategy as someone suggested. Beating with a +10 club and 3-4 2h-hits each stomp. No take-offs or fire at all.

Belfry Gargoyles are a pain in the ass. Neither can i summon any NPC there Nor find any player summon signs. I am a melee+magic guy, so my magic isn't powerful yet. :(

Yeah, the gargoyles are a pain. They are optional, though, so you can come back to them later if you want. One tip is to concentrate on one gargoyle at a time. There's some weird system where if you take off a percentage off one gargoyle's health, the next will spawn. So if you're attacking two or three at a time, you'll have to deal with a bunch more than if you just attack one at a time.

PranooY

Yeah, the gargoyles are a pain. They are optional, though, so you can come back to them later if you want. One tip is to concentrate on one gargoyle at a time. There's some weird system where if you take off a percentage off one gargoyle's health, the next will spawn. So if you're attacking two or three at a time, you'll have to deal with a bunch more than if you just attack one at a time.

Good tip, gonna try that. I was firing of my soul arrow whenever i find an opening at any gargoyle which is closer.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah I figured that out once there were four on the screen at once. :/

Mogwai

Sounds like a Chess strategy. Please explain.

When the dragon has done its initial roar and spewn its fire, stand at the gap between the two innermost toes at either hind leg. Dealing enough damage will guarantee that the dragon do a stomp. Anticipate it and make your way to the other leg. Rinse and reapeat until done.

It seems that you have to be able to deal enough damage to annoy it enough so it stomps. At least I killed it without taking off. It kept repeating the stomp.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
When the dragon has done its initial roar and spewn its fire, stand at the gap between the two innermost toes at either hind leg. Dealing enough damage will guarantee that the dragon do a stomp. Anticipate it and make your way to the other leg. Rinse and reapeat until done.

It seems that you have to be able to deal enough damage to annoy it enough so it stomps. At least I killed it without taking off. It kept repeating the stomp.

Ah! Nice one, squire!

Mistel

Banned
What weapon are you using and have you got any aromatic ooze? As for the percentages of the boss health bar it's 90%, 70%, and 50%. To meet the spawning conditions for a gargoyle to join the fray.

PranooY

What weapon are you using and have you got any aromatic ooze? As for the percentages of the boss health bar it's 90%, 70%, and 50%. To meet the spawning conditions for a gargoyle to join the fray.
Heide Knight sword and Great Heavy Soul Arrow.
Yea, i do have some aromatic ooze. Will try using that too.

Mogwai

Ah! Nice one, squire!

Just make sure that you do sufficient damage between each stomp. Also, make sure to really hug the toes. Stand as close as you can. After the stomp, the dragon will move a little, but you can actually position yourself between the toes and you will slide along with the dragon's movement.

After 30 horribly failed attempts doing the tail smash and running hopelessly around avoiding fire, the stomp strategy seems soooooo much more consistent. I think I did it in 4-5 attempts (for some reason I got stomped as I was too slow to move away).

Done, yo.

XuhR5jy.jpg

Congrats, how many hours and playthroughs did it take?

I want to say final playtime is 120 hours.

First play through was about 70 hours, but I literally got every single item and unturned every stone, with no guide and no intention to get all the achievements at all.

Second playthrough was to change up my play style (went from full melee greatsword to Chaos Blade Hex build). By the end of this playthrough I was only missing some NG++ spells.

Third playthrough I rushed to get a fragrant branch of yore from the bottom of Gutter, made my way to shaded woods, and then airwalk glitched to Drangelic castle. Bought some spells from Wallager and got all the achievements.

Haven't beat it a third time, but I respecced to a FTH/Sun sword build and have been doing Blue sparring.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
There are two posts on reddit detailing the balance changes.

Post 1
Post 2

Their found data.

Avelyn ~30% nerf
Syans ~14% nerf
Santiers ~22% nerf
GRS ~29% nerf
WoG ~5% nerf
RW changed to roughly same increase as SLB/CMW/Dark Weapon. Use Dark Weapon if you want to buff a dark infused weapon.
Flame Weapon much less effective than other weapon buffs.
Abyss ring changed from 20% to ~7-10%

More detailed finding.

All testing was done on a char with 40/40 str/dex, and 50/50 int/faith. No rings equipped (except for abyss ring test). Done on bonfire intensity 10/11 hollows at the first bonfire in forest of the fallen gaints.
+10 Mundane Avelyn with lightning bolts; Prepatch: 834 over 3 bolts, Postpatch: 576 over 3 bolts. A 30% decrease in damage.
+10 Syans Halbard (no infuse) 2h light attack; Prepatch: 453, Postpatch: 390. A 14% decrease in damage.
+10 Mundane Santiers 2h light attack; Prepatch: 763 in first 3 hits, Postpatch: 593 in first 3 hits. A 21.5% decrease in damage.
Great Resonant Soul with +5 dark chime of want; Prepatch: 1062, Postpatch: 755 A 29%% decrease in damage.
Wrath of Gods with +5 lightning dragon chime; Prepatch: 1079, Post patch: 1025. A 5% decrease in damage.
+10 Dark Claymore 1h r1 test with Resonant Weapon; Unbuffed: 418, Prepatch: 653, Postpatch: 568. Extra buff damage dropped from 235 to 150. A 36% decrease in bonus damage. Due to rounding I'm speculating that the buff is now 50 + 30% just like SLB and CMW.
+10 Fire Claymore 1h r1 test with Flame Weapon; Unbuffed: 414, Prepatch: 561, Postpatch: 500. Extra buff damage dropped from 147 to 86. A 41% decrease in bonus damage. Flame weapon now clearly adds less damage than other weapon buffs, but does not require any stat investment.
Abyss Ring: Prepatch: buffed GRS from 1062 to 1274, a 16.6% increase. Postpatch: buffed GRS from 755 to 812, a 7% increase. Given that the test has enemy resists and the ring was previously a 20% boost, I speculate it's now 10%.

Edit Santiers and Syans stamina drain: I was able to get the same amount of swings in at 200 stamina (99 END, no rings) Prepatch and Postpatch. Dronelisk points out that the patch addressed the amount of hits taken to guardbreak a shield, not stamina drain from swinging the weapon.
Edit 2 After some testing, Dark weapon and Resonant Weapon now add the exact same amount of damage. Dark Weapon is now clearly better because it takes less attunement slots, has more casts, doesn't cost souls, and lasts longer, all for the same effect. RW should never be cast again.
Edit 3 At 50/50 int/faith, RW now lasts for approx 70 seconds, and Dark Weapon lasts approx 110 seconds.

And from the other post

Mundane infusion reduces +10 Avelyn's base dmg from 170 down to 25.
Mundane infusion reduces +5 Santier's Spear base dmg from 200 down to 30. Mundane appears to halve the base damage of other weapons, so it seems like Avelyn and Santier's Spear are exceptions.
I don't know what how they changed curved sword parries, but just tried to parry Alonne Knights with the MS and got slashed in the face about 25 times before I managed to hit one parry. That one parry didn't seem different in timing from the other 25, so I'm assuming the window is now really really tight.
Abyss Seal appears now to buff dark damage by 7.5-7.6% instead of 20%. Tested on FOTG hollows. GRS + Abyss Seal does 751 damage. GRS without the Abyss Seal does 698 damage.
With 30/30 INT/FTH (dark soft cap), Dark Weapon duration has increased from 90s to ~110s, while GMB duration has decreased from 90s to about 60s.
Resonant Weapon greatly nerfed to be on par with Dark Weapon. RW on hollows in FOTG = 461 damage. DW on hollows in FOTG = 453 damage. Counter damage was 691 and 683 respectively.
Resonant Soul does 548 damage to FOTG hollows, while GRS does 698. GRS is roughly a 30% increase in damage per cast compared to RS, but at the cost of 500 souls instead of 100, with 9 casts instead of 22.
According to this guy, SLB/DW/CMW has a 30% bonus damage nerf.

EDIT3: Okay the curved swords parry window is now in the first few frames of the first "swipe" that begins your flurry. It's pretty precise.

EDIT5: More notes on curved sword parries. The parry mechanics for curved swords appear to be unique to curved swords. Parry frames no longer begin instantly, but the delay is in a class of its own and is not quite as long as small or medium shields or even the parrying dagger. The total parry frames also feels noticeably fewer than shields or the parrying dagger as well. TL;DR: curved swords parries no longer activate immediately, but do still activate faster than other tools but have fewer active frames than other tools as well. To illustrate this:
Parrying dagger: ====[====]=================
Curved sword pre patch: [====]=================
Curved sword post patch: ==[==]=================

first time fighting a sorcerer invader, feels like fighting a needler guy in Halo. Yet he was lagging as hell and his spells hit me no matter what happened

Mogwai

Hah. Am I correct in that you don't need to kill Ancient Dragon to actually pick up his soul in the Dragon Memories in Tseldora?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hah. Am I correct in that you don't need to kill Ancient Dragon to actually pick up his soul in the Dragon Memories in Tseldora?

That's the secret!

The Ancient Dragon we fight is not the real Ancient Dragon!

Xeroblade

There are two posts on reddit detailing the balance changes.

Post 1
Post 2

Their found data.

Avelyn ~30% nerf
Syans ~14% nerf
Santiers ~22% nerf
GRS ~29% nerf
WoG ~5% nerf
RW changed to roughly same increase as SLB/CMW/Dark Weapon. Use Dark Weapon if you want to buff a dark infused weapon.
Flame Weapon much less effective than other weapon buffs.
Abyss ring changed from 20% to ~7-10%

More detailed finding.

And from the other post

I get why they nerfed a lot of this stuff and its all good except now resonant weapon is useless! At least make it just a tad stronger than dark weapon! Oh well I am not too mad about it, its just that if they try to fix these things, they can sometimes render them useless to the point no one is going to use it. BALANCE! Thats all we ask!

Firebrand

blue apostle y u do dis

Got summoned to Iron Keep as a blue sentinel. The host has some mobs on him and after a few quick hits the invader has only a 1/4 of his HP left, so I decide to chase him before the host gets himself killed. We find ourselves fighting on the center platform in the room that has the entry to Belfry Sol... and then there's the sound of chains and the platform descends into the lava with both red and blue on it.

Mission accomplished...?

J-Roderton

So, I took a long break from the game and went back today with no clue where to go. I traveled around to different places, even talked to the chick in Majula. NO clues or anything. My last boss was the Demon of Song. The frog thing. I have rescued a malfinito ( or however the hell you spell it) and I'm just kinda wondering around. I even went back to the fork in the road and found a path that tells me to produce the kings seal or something like that.

Any tips for me? Really just want to beat this story. I'm lost =(

So, I took a long break from the game and went back today with no clue where to go. I traveled around to different places, even talked to the chick in Majula. NO clues or anything. My last boss was the Demon of Song. The frog thing. I have rescued a malfinito ( or however the hell you spell it) and I'm just kinda wondering around. I even went back to the fork in the road and found a path that tells me to produce the kings seal or something like that.

Any tips for me? Really just want to beat this story.

There's a path to the next area after the Demon of Song.

What's with physical damage in this game? I'm playing with someone who I think is on NG++, my character has 40 dexterity/ strength, and my weapons aren't very effective. +10 Mastodon Halberd, power stance Warped Sword +5 and Falchion +10. It's just nothing compared to magic damage.

Leunam

Go back to where you fought the Demon of Song.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

There's more path forward from the Demon of Song, there is another exit in their room.

Mistel

Banned

You need to go to undead crypt to get the kings ring.

blue apostle y u do dis

Got summoned to Iron Keep as a blue sentinel. The host has some mobs on him and after a few quick hits the invader has only a 1/4 of his HP left, so I decide to chase him before the host gets himself killed. We find ourselves fighting on the center platform in the room that has the entry to Belfry Sol... and then there's the sound of chains and the platform descends into the lava with both red and blue on it.

Mission accomplished...?

That is pretty funny haha.

Newboi

I'm currently loving the Moonlight Greatsword! Is this sword completely nullified by Anti-Magic field in PvP? Almost everyone casts it. It's really fun to use in PvE though.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
blue apostle y u do dis

Mission accomplished...?
Hahaha. Should have sent him a message:

"Curse ye of little faith!"

Soulhouf

Edit 2 After some testing, Dark weapon and Resonant Weapon now add the exact same amount of damage. Dark Weapon is now clearly better because it takes less attunement slots, has more casts, doesn't cost souls, and lasts longer, all for the same effect. RW should never be cast again.
Edit 3 At 50/50 int/faith, RW now lasts for approx 70 seconds, and Dark Weapon lasts approx 110 seconds.
This is pretty dumb.
Why did they keep a spell if it's completely useless now?
I don't get it...

Xeroblade

I'm currently loving the Moonlight Greatsword! Is this sword completely nullified by Anti-Magic field in PvP? Almost everyone casts it. It's really fun to use in PvE though.

You would have loved it even more before it got nerfed. And I dont think its completely nullified by GMB, but then again I have yet to run into anyone using it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That avelyn nerf literally did nothing but fuck anyone who ran a pure melee build with no decent ranged options. From might as well just remove light armor and dex from the game.

Top Bottom