• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I get why they nerfed a lot of this stuff and its all good except now resonant weapon is useless! At least make it just a tad stronger than dark weapon! Oh well I am not too mad about it, its just that if they try to fix these things, they can sometimes render them useless to the point no one is going to use it. BALANCE! Thats all we ask!

I think it's more a problem of redundancy than balance in this case. But yeah, it's a thin line!

Mistel

Banned
thanks to all that replied as well. Shit I have been that way, but I do not have the kings ring. Lets rage! If I remember correctly I backed out of that area when I stopped playing.
You didn't kill the boss of that area? That's what you need to do to obtain the kings ring.

ACE 1991

So what melee build do you guys recommend for a first playthrough? sword and board? dual wielding? 2hander? What did you guys find most fun?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So what melee build do you guys recommend for a first playthrough? sword and board? dual wielding? 2hander? What did you guys find most fun?

Sword and Board is a good place to start.

Dual Wielding is very difficult and better once you have every enemy's attack patterns memorized.

AngryMoth

Going to try a faith build given the recent patch but can't decode on a ranged option. Can't bring myself to use lightening spears because they are so slow and easy to dodge, I can't remember ever getting hit by one in a 1 v 1 situation. Thinking about the bow of want but bows take a long time to switch to since you have to 2 hand and then charge up the shot. Might have to test how badly GRS was nerfed

Mistel

Banned
I went 2 hand either a great axe, great hammer, greatsword or ultra greatsowrd for my first run through very fun and versatile with the ease of resin purchase.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I ended up hating 2H compared to DS1. They're just too fidgety and the hit-boxes (atleast for dragon tooth) are too predictive and inconsistent in nature.

My build now is dual berserker blades with a dagger and chime in each off-hand. With the way the game is now builds are pretty much ambiguous -- which I kind of like. Allows for people to be surprising and be even more interesting in their playstyle. Too bad this also encourages try-hard dads but the price you pay I guess?

AngryMoth

Huh I think my save is corrupted or something. Game crashes at the end of the load screen every time is try to load my character but there doesn't seem to be any problem when I start a new game. Don't know how that happened :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I went through most of the game power stancing Ultra Greatswords, then eventually went to two handing Ultra Greatsword, and now I'm two handing a Manslayer katana.

Dex is funner but does less damage, power stanced Ultra Greatswords suck compared to two handing a single great sword, and the great sword R2 is really fun.

If you get your agility high enough and get good at rolling, you should never need a shield.

That avelyn nerf literally did nothing but fuck anyone who ran a pure melee build with no decent ranged options. From might as well just remove light armor and dex from the game.

Games got a ton of bows, you could use any of the others.

xBladeM6x

Huh I think my save is corrupted or something. Game crashes at the end of the load screen every time is try to load my character but there doesn't seem to be any problem when I start a new game. Don't know how that happened :(

Your avatar makes this post even more sad. :l

NG++ feels like a ghost town.

Edit: Is there an active co-op boss in NG++? I want to get the miracle at rank 3 and co-op is so barren I think it's going to be impossible.

Hooooooooooold up.

They nerfed Resonant Weapon into obscurity and barely touched WotG?

From.

Guys.

This is pretty average wheelin' and dealin'.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Edit: Is there an active co-op boss in NG++? I want to get the miracle at rank 3 and co-op is so barren I think it's going to be impossible.

As far as I know the online is sectioned off into NG, and NG+ and above. So NG++ shouldn't be an issue, as long as you're in Soul Memory range of people.

I haven't done it, but there are cheat engine tables that let you modify your soul memory. If you felt comfortable with it, you could go offline, make sure you mathed it out so that your soul level costs is not more than your soul memory, then you could change your soul memory to get your PVP and co-op into a more reasonable range.

It's a shitty thing to have to do, but you might have to do it.

Alternatively, wear the ring that expands your co-op range.

elfinke

I finally gave the BoB duelling arenas a go last night - I'd totally forgotten they exist. The bridge arena is by far the best: no hiding, no spots to run to and estus, just pure 1v1 fightin' (also, 10 Force miracles with a fast cast means knocking opponents off the edge for easy wins: it never gets old. Force and Emit Force are vastly underrated in PvP - Emit Force hits for around 500, seems to have splash damage and it moves very quickly - good to change up with).

The other arenas are not nearly as interesting, I don't think. I wish the 3 statues referred to the arenas, and not just queues, but oh well.

Still in NG, at SL130/SM4.5mil (have double my SM from PvP and mucking around building up different weapons - also farming vessels adds up). Dragon Shrine is a bit quieter at this level, also running into more and more powerful opponents, who have obviously dumped more souls into their SL than me. Nonetheless, it remains a bunch of fun when lag permits.

Here's to continued hoping that SL becomes the determining factor for PvP matchups in the future. At SL150 and above, you can build characters who can have their cake and eat it too, whereas at SL125, a few more compromises must be made, which I really enjoy (hence the dozen or so respecs, the inventory full of +5/+10 items, Dragon Aerie bonfire at 14, Exile Holding Cells bonfire at like, 10 or something, and so on!)

Currently using a more balanced build, with focus on lightning and miracles. Wielding a +10 lightning Black Knight Halberd (the backstep 2HD light attack is devastating, no one picks it - it's a stamina draining whirlwind attack with three (3!!) successive attacks), a +5 lightning Chaos Blade as backup, along with the ever reliable +10 dagger for riposte/backstabs. +10 Lightning Protective Chime, which is underrated (140 cast speed, 253 lightning damage plus B/C FTH/INT scaling, makes it very powerful for lower-than 50 FTH builds). Good times.

I've always had success getting summoned at Dual Dragonrider's with very little wait time. Looking Glass Knight isn't too bad either and you can farm Llewellyn Set and Slabs while you wait ;) Although, my SM was only 5 million at NG++.

elfinke

A three way damage split between fire, physical and lightning seems very impractical.

Handy four-way scaling (even if it's only C's: 288/117/78), totalling an AR of ~600 overcomes the damage split, a weird moveset with low stamina drain (2hd attacking notwithstanding!) and good reach. It's a fun weapon that isn't seen in PvP often which gives you the upper hand against parry-happy opponents.

And I really can't stress enough how great the backstep 2hd light attack is. Just as you've established spacing with it, you whip out the faster katana and go to town. I often bait a forward roll with a spell, or R2 attack, then change to the katana and can sneak 3 or 4 decent hits in.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Haven't had a chance to play lately which is sad, but just got through Dragon Aerie and Shrine and wanted to say, awesome area! Woa. Up there with the best of all three games.

Haven't had a chance to play lately which is sad, but just got through Dragon Aerie and Shrine and wanted to say, awesome area! Woa. Up there with the best of all three games.

I also just finished that area a few moments ago! My favorite area so far. I got my ass kicked though, cause I think I'm a tough guy :p

Akainu

So I just beat Garl Vinland 2.0. and saw the king right in front of me and said why not. Only to be annihilated. As I was thinking what the shit I looked it up and apparently you need these other souls to beat him to make him weak. Did I miss this somewhere?

So I just beat Garl Vinland 2.0. and saw the king right in front of me and said why not. Only to be annihilated. As I was thinking what the shit I looked it up and apparently you need these other souls to beat him to make him weak. Did I miss this somewhere?

Keep going, they are later. There is one you could have potentially gotten by now.
hidden 8 Black Gulch

elfinke

Didn't realise there was a freecam mod out there.

ikVLE6M0DW3gY.png

ibfL4yol8f92bQ.png

Renekton

Maybe I'm exaggerating... but the PC version feels like a different game from the PS3. My brain anticipated jerkiness which didn't happen, got confused, then died.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I went through most of the game power stancing Ultra Greatswords, then eventually went to two handing Ultra Greatsword, and now I'm two handing a Manslayer katana.

Dex is funner but does less damage, power stanced Ultra Greatswords suck compared to two handing a single great sword, and the great sword R2 is really fun.

If you get your agility high enough and get good at rolling, you should never need a shield.

Youre joking right?

Soulhouf

Being mainly a pure physical build player, I feel exactly the same.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Recommend some that are even half comparable

Hmm... any ever got the Inventory full message yet?

Looks like there IS a purpose for the Item Box in this game, unlike its predecessor, lol.

Gavlan, I'm coming for you buddy, my hoarding days are over.

:(

Hmm... any ever got the Inventory full message yet?

Looks like there IS a purpose for the Item Box in this game, unlike its predecessor, lol.

Gavlan, I'm coming for you buddy, my hoarding days are over.

:(
That inventory full message just means you had 99 of whatever you tried to pick up. Same as DS1.

Soulhouf

That inventory full message just means you had 99 of whatever you tried to pick up. Same as DS1.

Except, when you find 2 or more different items, when one of them is full you can't even pick up the others.
You found say 10 wooden arrows and 1 titanite chunk. If you already have 990 wooden arrows, it's impossible to pick up the titanite chunk or 9 arrows. You need to throw aways 1 arrow first to be able to get them.

Speaking of the bottomless box, I don't use it to store my unused weapons/outfits because you can't see their stats whilst in the box.
They made it more convenient to use but at the same time they messed up something else making it even worse than in DS1.

I'm baffled how some basic design mistakes like these made they way to the final product and they are still not fixed. Even the good old Demon's Souls didn't make these mistakes.

NBtoaster

You also get the inventory full message if you try to pick up multiple key items (if you buy Gilligan's miniature and then kill him he drops another one, which you can't pick up unless you discard the first)

I had to sell many of my duplicate weapons/outfits to get rid of that message in the end, lol.

It wasn't the 99 item scenario causing it for me, it was that I had too many weapons of the same type clogging up my inventory.

Mistel

Banned
You can do it without giant souls if you'd like to.

Except, when you find 2 or more different items, when one of them is full you can't even pick up the others.
Yeah this is annoying.

Speaking of the bottomless box, I don't use it to store my unused weapons/outfits because you can't see their stats whilst in the box.
They made it more convenient to use but at the same time they messed up something else making it even worse than in DS1.

I'm baffled how some basic design mistakes like these made they way to the final product and they are still not fixed. Even the good old Demon's Souls didn't make these mistakes.
I agree about the inventory botches, I don't understand some of the choices they made. Give with one hand, take away with the other!

I had to sell many of my duplicate weapons/outfits to get rid of that message in the end, lol.

It wasn't the 99 item scenario causing it for me, it was that I had too many weapons of the same type clogging up my inventory.
Ahhh, I see. A fellow sufferer of "see shiney, must pick it up" syndrome.

You know it's going to be Prisoner's Tatters, but you pick it up any way!

Firebrand

Flame Weapon nerfed? :( Bad time to make a fire-melee without int or faith, guess a respec is coming up. Not using heavy stuff anyway because... fashionsouls.

Hahaha. Should have sent him a message:

"Curse ye of little faith!"
Would have liked to (I thought it was hilarious, even though not getting that rare sentinel point hurts a bit), but unfortunately PC version does not AFAIK give you a way to map character names to Steam profiles.

PranooY

That should make it a lot easier for you.
Yohoo, I beat it the first time I used aromatic ooze.. :) Thanks for the tip.
Btw I got invaded by 2 people simultaneously on the way over there (in Belfry Luna). Outran then into the fog gate. :)

Edit: I got a Bastille key after gargoyle fight. What does it open?

I honestly don't understand how you can successfully pvp as a hexer. It's baffling because everyone just stunlocks me to death, nor can I even hit anyone. it's like wtf is the point? Ever single last person dodges my attacks, nobody falls for the traps. If they roll in front of me I'm dead as they stunlock me to death.

Top Bottom