• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I honestly don't understand how you can successfully pvp as a hexer. It's baffling because everyone just stunlocks me to death, nor can I even hit anyone. it's like wtf is the point? Ever single last person dodges my attacks, nobody falls for the traps. If they roll in front of me I'm dead as they stunlock me to death.

Spells are largely useless in PVP outside of buffs and heals.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I honestly don't understand how you can successfully pvp as a hexer. It's baffling because everyone just stunlocks me to death, nor can I even hit anyone. it's like wtf is the point? Ever single last person dodges my attacks, nobody falls for the traps. If they roll in front of me I'm dead as they stunlock me to death.
I've seen some creative use of Dead Again, Lifedrain Patch and surprise Climax used to great effect. Always be mobile and don't let yourself get cornered. Utilize the element of surprise as much as you can. Chameleon and hexing are like best friends.

Used the blue sentinels arena for the first time for shits and giggles and won. I only had an unupgraded sorcerer's staff with soul arrow and a +3 shortsword. The other dude had a twinblade and ran away and healed at least 7 or 8 times (which I always think is a great sign that you're in with a good chance of winning because they're chicken shit). He did parry me once though.

I was expecting to get Havelyn hexed to death, but I'm guessing the blue sentinels arena is soul memory based - I'm only about an hour or so in with this character, so it seemed like a fair fight at least.

Already beat that boss.
It opens a couple of other minor doors for loot, the cell besides Straid's and the locked door in the Saltford in the water where all the explody guys are.

Mistel

Banned
Already beat that boss.
Btw any good Dex or any good light weapon I can get by trading with straid? Or it is better to liquidate boss souls?
There's a few like Mytha's bent blade which I absolutely adore. The flexile sentry soul can be used to make the arced sword which is basically a murakumo but you get C scaling for strength. Flexile soul also makes the warped blade which has a special dual weilding move when used with the right weapons.

There's also the spotted whip and the roaring halberd that you can make later.

Unless you have a bunch to souls to waste for the powerfull spells, hexes acts more like poison spells

Newboi

Anyone have experience with dual wielding Darkdrift Katanas? I'm thinking of dual wielding some and infusing them with Dark.

Soulhouf

Used the blue sentinels arena for the first time for shits and giggles and won. I only had an unupgraded sorcerer's staff with soul arrow and a +3 shortsword. The other dude had a twinblade and ran away and healed at least 7 or 8 times (which I always think is a great sign that you're in with a good chance of winning because they're chicken shit). He did parry me once though.

I was expecting to get Havelyn hexed to death, but I'm guessing the blue sentinels arena is soul memory based - I'm only about an hour or so in with this character, so it seemed like a fair fight at least.

Yeah I noticed that too. I was very surprised to have far more enjoyable PvP sessions and more fair fights in the Blue Sentinels arena. The only thing is, the arenas themselves suck.

sikkinixx

Started a new game, trying sorcery (which sucks ass at the start...), and wow is this a lot different than when the game released. Summoning/being summoned takes so much longer now... *sigh*

Oh I am, I so am. I'm going to be the undercover sunbro. Solaire would be mad.

Is summoning broken? I can't be summoned anymore, it just gives me a failed to connect every single time. I used to be able to summon without fail, now I can't be summoned by anyone.

Timmy00

lol I swear this game has one of the saltiest community ever. I'm just doing a few bell bros pvp to get my Shrek character the bell outfit and I gotten a few rage messages already.

Mistel

Banned
Lol I made some guy rage quit. I killed him with lifedrain as he was going through the boss-gate. He sent me a death threat mail.
That's the best place to use life drain or in a narrow corridor where you can trap the other person/don't mind hurting yourself.

I haven't played for a few days. Was there an update that basically adjusted the avelyn, santir, grs etc...? I heard from my brother yesterday. Please confirm ds2GAF.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I haven't played for a few days. Was there an update that basically adjusted the avelyn, santir, grs etc...? I heard from my brother yesterday. Please confirm ds2GAF.
Yes. Nerfed Avelyn, GRS, Painting Guardian Scimitar and Santier's spear into the ground.

You know what, since grs is nerfed, I don't mind avelyn being a little weaker. I assume they are going after the mundane avelyn going by their description.

Fair is fair?

Daante

Finished the game earlier today (Pc version).
Clocked in around 70 hours, wih SL 152.

Overall really great game, 8/10 as it feels right now.

Maby my expectations where too high, but i feel DS2 where not as good as DS1 and Demons Souls.
Il probably rank it the last of the three actually. Some of the enviorments and the overall pacing where not as good and tight as previoulsy. Some of the bosses felt like "filler" things really. The game is missing that last magic and polish, that the earlier Souls game have.

I feel ready for E3 and Project beast!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You know what, since grs is nerfed, I don't mind avelyn being a little weaker. I assume they are going after the mundane avelyn going by their description.

Fair is fair?

Im extremely salty about that nerf. Especially because the people who abused it the most wont be affected by it one bit.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Im extremely salty about that nerf. Especially because the people who abused it the most wont be affected by it one bit.
Dual Avelyn was an epidemic and while it was still possible to win against its previous form, I think the nerf was pretty fair. As for GRS, R1 to win was easy to dodge or get a Transgressor's out against, but it is obvious the developers were not happy with the extremely high damage relative to other spells that resulted in the ability to cheese all PVE content so easily.

While it is true that the people who abused this most will just move on to another flavor of the week "OP" build, I am glad that the above were discouraged because I appreciate variety.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Dual Avelyn was an epidemic and while it was still possible to win against its previous form, I think the nerf was pretty fair. As for GRS, R1 to win was easy to dodge or get a Transgressor's out against, but it is obvious the developers were not happy with the extremely high damage relative to other spells that resulted in the ability to cheese all PVE content so easily.

While it is true that the people who abused this most will just move on to another flavor of the week "OP" build, I am glad that the above were discouraged because I appreciate variety.

I wasnt opposed to a nerf but that was just too much. And I know i sound like a broken record, it did nothing but shit on melee builds with no decent ranged options. Meanwhile the builds that the aforementioned ones struggle against...completely fine. It was tuesday.

AngryMoth

Don't know if this is in the game or not but it would be really cool if the ridiculously slow parry animation on weapons like ultra greatswords was able to parry normally unparriable attacks like 2h ultra greatsword swings

Started a new game, trying sorcery (which sucks ass at the start...), and wow is this a lot different than when the game released. Summoning/being summoned takes so much longer now... *sigh*

Sucks ass? Sorcs are fucking gods in the beginning lol.

You never having to worry about things like character positioning, and you're taking out enemies with impunity before they even touch you. So long as you have spell ammo, you're golden, and with the provided Dagger, any fools that come close enough you can easily backstab for massive damage.

They're the easiest class to roll with if you've never played the game before, and by FOTG you will get another copy of your basic soul spell from Melentia (making it 60 casts) and another great soul spell next to the ballista trap.

They're also the only class that can kill those three Ogres in the tutorial area with zero risk for a newb, giving you a quick 3k souls to start the game with even before entering Majula. Dodging, rolling tactics? Who needs that lol.

I'm referring to PVE of course.

Jaeger

Online PVP is still a laggy, phantom range mess. Getting backstabbed looking directly at your enemy is my pet peeve right now.

Xeroblade

Don't know if this is in the game or not but it would be really cool if the ridiculously slow parry animation on weapons like ultra greatswords was able to parry normally unparriable attacks like 2h ultra greatsword swings

Actually what are the weapons that are unparryable?

AngryMoth

Great info to know! thank you sir. but wait, the one handed attacks of those weapons can be parryed right?
Yep, see the thread in my edit for a more detailed breakdown.

It's something I didn't realise for a loooong time too, can't tell you how many times I got annoyed after seeming to nail a parry on someone only to get smashed in the face lol.

Firebrand

Hum, lucked out and got the Chaos Rapier to drop on the last mob spawn on NG... but I'm a bit disappointed.

At +5 (twinkling titanites) damage output will be a measly 70 phys, 110 fire, with B dex / B fire scaling. Fire infusion makes it 63/121 C/B, which hardly seems like it's worth it. What is slightly interesting is that bleed and poison infusions (120 each) makes it 63/99 but with C/S scaling, which might make up for the damage loss with enough int/faith.

I don't know, so far I don't have more than the 13 required in int/faith. Been rocking a Fire Estoc which I kinda like except the damage output is not cutting it (no pun intended).

Xeroblade

Yep, see the thread in my edit for a more detailed breakdown.

It's something I didn't realise for a loooong time too, can't tell you how many times I got annoyed after seeming to nail a parry on someone only to get smashed in the face lol.

thanks for the link. Super helpful!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I wasnt opposed to a nerf but that was just too much. And I know i sound like a broken record, it did nothing but shit on melee builds with no decent ranged options. Meanwhile the builds that the aforementioned ones struggle against...completely fine. It was tuesday.
How can a build not have a decent ranged option? I mean unless your criteria is "kill more people with ranged than melee," there has to be something decent for a strength and/or dex build.

Altazor

Sucks ass? Sorcs are fucking gods in the beginning lol.

You never having to worry about things like character positioning, and you're taking out enemies with impunity before they even touch you. So long as you have spell ammo, you're golden, and with the provided Dagger, any fools that come close enough you can easily backstab for massive damage.

They're the easiest class to roll with if you've never played the game before, and by FOTG you will get another copy of your basic soul spell from Melentia (making it 60 casts) and another great soul spell next to the ballista trap.

They're also the only class that can kill those three Ogres in the tutorial area with zero risk for a newb, giving you a quick 3k souls to start the game with even before entering Majula. Dodging, rolling tactics? Who needs that lol.

I'm referring to PVE of course.

well, if you put it that way...

I started a new character recently. I went Sorcerer (mirroring my choice in DS1: first melee and then magic) and I had a harder time compared early game compared to the first one: in DS1 I was pretty much wrecking shit left-and-right until Anor Londo, killing bosses in like 3 hits or stuff like that. Hell, I just died, like, TWICE, in 5 or 6 hours (and one of those was a very stupid death to Hellkite Dragon).
In DS2 it took me a while to reach an acceptable level (not SL, I mean figuratively) in which I felt confortable. But it might be my own fault, anyway - I totally forgot about Melentia selling Soul Arrows.

I've already reached the Bastille with my sorc but haven't cleared the Wharf yet and I'm debating which one I should do first.

Ok, how the fuck are you supposed to use ultra greatswords? What am I doing wrong?For starters I'm always fat rolling, and second I have no stamina from it. I'm using the pursuers ultra greatsword and I've died like a hundred times to just basic enemies now because it's impossible to do anything. What am I not getting? Are ultra greatswords useless? Do they basically require an insaen amount of stamina and VIT to even be remotely useful?

Am i doing something wrong? Greatswords are pure fucking garbage. Even naked not fat rolling the recovery time is insane. it's literally impossible to hurt a boss because by the time I'm finished swinging the boss is already hitting me. Again, wtf am I supposed to do here? Greatswords are complete fucking ass and impossible to hurt anything with.

Top Bottom