• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If you're talking about PvP, Ornifex sells an unlimited amount of Amber Herb once you beat the final boss.

Yeah I meant PvP but you can't use the spell recovery items online, sadly. At least during invasions. For arena stuff or if you're summoned to help maybe you can.

Soulhouf

Yeah I meant PvP but you can't use the spell recovery items online, sadly. At least during invasions. For arena stuff or if you're summoned to help maybe you can.

Well, since pyro doesn't require stat investment, put as much points as possible into attunement and use Hexer's Hood and Southern Ritual Band+2. That way you won't need to invest into adaptability either since you'll get enough agility with attunement alone.

Sullichin

Keeping in line with traditions of Dark Souls 1, wish to perform the following;
.lowest SM character (as possible) who can invade
.farming Cracked Red Eye Orb

Lowest SM character is possible, can get one at 100K and need to try to get less (to be both an effective invader while keeping Soul Memory low).

But the real problem is the Cracked Red Eye Orb, only infinite source is trading
Smooth & Silky Stones to Dyna and Tillo
. But its a gamble at best, as your Soul Memory increases as you keep using the Small White Soap Stone to gain more
Smooth & Silky Stones

Is there any other source for Cracked Red Eye Orb?

Edit: Also getting one in the
PvP Duel
is close to impossible most of the times for a low SM character, as there is no SM limit.

Sadly creating a character to invade a specific area of the game in NG isn't nearly as feasible as DeS/DaS because of SM, as you're finding. The drop rates from the enemies in Huntsman's and the Pigs in Majula are terrible for Cracked Red Orbs as well.

You can keep your SM lower by running past/not killing pretty much every enemy, and by summoning people for every boss because you will get fewer souls rewarded. But you can't totally freeze your SM and Cracked Orbs are so rare that I can't imagine this would last for long.

I'm having an odd moment in Shaded Ruins where every time I rest at a bonfire an item is respawning - the with the basilisk behind the petrified lion warrior (or where you can jump).

I've even quit out the game and reloaded and it still happens. Not complaining, it's 12 extra souls of a brave warrior and a herb, but it's still weird.

so, for those of you in here that have done a SL1 run...thoughts on difficulty compared to DS1? is the low ADP roll a big factor?

i figure i'll go through a SL1 run eventually, but i highly doubt that i will attempt a SL1 no-upgrades all-bosses run like I completed in DS1. i just don't find the game to be as replayable as DS1, which i completed 10+ times in various different ways.

Soulhouf

so, for those of you in here that have done a SL1 run...thoughts on difficulty compared to DS1? is the low ADP roll a big factor?

i figure i'll go through a SL1 run eventually, but i highly doubt that i will attempt a SL1 no-upgrades all-bosses run like I completed in DS1. i just don't find the game to be as replayable as DS1, which i completed 10+ times in various different ways.

I found it significantly harder than DS1 because of the low adaptability. I had hard time beating Smelter, Freya and the Rotten and still didn't manage to kill Darklurker because I don't have any more effigies.
Fortunately you can use the Mace aka one of the best weapons in the game for PvE.

I found it significantly harder than DS1 because of the low adaptability. I had hard time beating Smelter, Freya and the Rotten and still didn't manage to kill Darklurker because I don't have any more effigies.
Fortunately you can use the Mace aka one of the best weapons in the game for PvE.

You can go to the covenant old man, he sells alot of efigies or go to the amana shrine and ask for a free humanity in the dead one altar

Pointless factoid: Moving from one zone to another breaks the Chameleon spell. I guess because each zone has different disguises, so one zone's disguise can't be used in anothers. I dare anyone to find a use for this!

Ruuppa

Low ADP makes the run really hard in some parts. The Rotten, for examply, graduates from "Slightly harder than a speedbump" to "20 tries and I've gotten him to halfway once!".

Like Soulhouf said, the Mace really helps. Broadsword has similar damage, but due to it being Slash -type, it does a *lot* less damage than the Mace. Strike does supreme damage to 80% of the enemies in the game, which is kind of crazy. I think only the Undead Prisoners were resistant to Strike, but they're weak as hell.

With some ring -fudging, hats and spices you can even use spells if you want to, making the SL1 run a lot easier. That takes some time though.

Mistel

Banned
Pointless factoid: Moving from one zone to another breaks the Chameleon spell. I guess because each zone has different disguises, so one zone's disguise can't be used in anothers. I dare anyone to find a use for this!
Dragon aerie to shrine follow a person in a box and make a MGS reference?

I just got an 8 MB update to DS2. Not sure when it actually was officially updated, since I haven't been on Steam since Sunday I think. Any ideas what it was? The binoboost/parrywalk patch?

Booshka

I just got an 8 MB update to DS2. Not sure when it actually was officially updated, since I haven't been on Steam since Sunday I think. Any ideas what it was? The binoboost/parrywalk patch?

On Xbox it says that isnt scheduled until 6/16. Haven't played on PC in a couple days though, so it's possible.

Booshka

Is it possible to become immune to physical damage with Blue Tearstone? I kind of wonder how close you can get.

Not immune, but at a certain level and with enough defenses, you can essentially add another life bar with Blue Tearstone. You see me surviving tons of hits that should have killed me, add some Havel's, tons of levels and some defense buffs, and you become pretty close to unkillable.

maomaoIYP

Is it possible to become immune to physical damage with Blue Tearstone? I kind of wonder how close you can get.

It depends on how high your defense is and how weak the attack is. Say you go full havels and just get unarmed fisted, the damage should show up as single digits.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly creating a character to invade a specific area of the game in NG isn't nearly as feasible as DeS/DaS because of SM, as you're finding. The drop rates from the enemies in Huntsman's and the Pigs in Majula are terrible for Cracked Red Orbs as well.

You can keep your SM lower by running past/not killing pretty much every enemy, and by summoning people for every boss because you will get fewer souls rewarded. But you can't totally freeze your SM and Cracked Orbs are so rare that I can't imagine this would last for long.

I hit upon another barrier which is quite different from the already escalating SM to gain Cracked Red Eye Orb, Its after killing the host you invade: You gain some souls there by slowly but evidently increasing your SM (damn).

Dark Souls 2 SM (which I had come to like) may have killed the Red Invasion online multiplayer interaction as I know it.

Had so much fun invading players in Dark Souls 1, fighting them with lower tier un-upgraded weapons or dropping them items or showing them the way etc etc.. Dark Souls 2 just lost a bunch of those elements.

Also getting the capability to invade in Dark Souls 1 took me an year or more to be successful, Dark Souls 2 offered very less of a challenge than that and even less of some interactions after having the capability to invade.

Edit: Guess the alternative is either the Towers Of Perpetual
Invasions
or the Squeak Squeak
Covenent
, but the multiplayer interaction is only localized to those few specific areas than the overall general domain of the game (As a Red Invader, you can invade almost anywhere..there by providing the entire game as a multiplayer platform/arena).

bj00rn_

Banned
Is coop affected by level and souls memory? I have a level 247 character with close to 10 mill souls (and I've burned a few bonfire ascetics as well..) and it's like a wasteland out there. Some days I don't even see a single summoning sign, and no response to mine :(

Minamu

Is coop affected by level and souls memory? I have a level 247 character with close to 10 mill souls (and I've burned a few bonfire ascetics as well..) and it's like a wasteland out there. Some days I don't even see a single summoning sign, and no response to mine :(
Soul Level doesn't matter at all, only SM. Not sure how Ascetics affect it all. If you don't see any signs, you just most likely have too high SM for that particular area or nobody is online at that spot.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Question: What's the easiest, cheapest way to get a (preferably decent) shield at the beginning of the game? I'm at the very first bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants and am playing a Cleric whom I've only leveled up once.

maomaoIYP

Question: What's the easiest, cheapest way to get a (preferably decent) shield at the beginning of the game? I'm at the very first bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants and am playing a Cleric whom I've only leveled up once.

There's a very good shield before the 1st boss in that area, and another very good shield right after the 2nd boss.

You can get one for free (Crimson Parma) on the path to
Heide's Tower of Flame from Majula
. Not very decent though (not a 100% phys shield). The best early-ish free 100% phys shield you can get that will last you a quite sometime would be the Drangleic Shield, but that requires you to kill a particularly challenging boss first. Others you can buy from Maughlin aren't too bad but will cost you. If you're playing on the PC (and preordered) you should have received the newb pack which has assorted shields you can use until something better pops up.

Does the "limit damage from behind" ring work for all damage, or just for backstabs? Can it block the flame from the boss of the last area in the area list?

Makes it a cakewalk lol.
(I assume you're referring to the Ancient Dragon.)
.With that ring it becomes a stupidly mindless fight that you can't really fuck up. Bring lots of Repair Powder to prevent it from breaking (5 successive nullified fire breaths from behind breaks it iirc) and you're all set.

maomaoIYP

Funny PvP story from last night, I was invading at the dragon aerie.
I get this guy who's cleared all enemies and waits for invaders to come in, he's got all havel's head, arm and leg pieces and jester's chest.
1) I destroy him the first time by pushing him off a ledge.

2) My next invasion is him again, this time he tries to use magic to knock me off the ziplines. It doesn't work, and I wreck him again.

3) I meet him immediately again. This time he's waiting at the area with the first dragon, got full havel's on, casts sacred oath, GMB (jokes on him, I'm full physical dmg), AND pops an old radiant lifegem. I turtle a little to wait out the lifegem and he starts drinking estus. Just as he's popping the 2nd lifegem, I wreck him.

4) And again.

5) And again.

Now I'm hoping to get him again, but then suddenly I noticed that an arbiter spirit has invaded! And it's HIM! I get ready my ring of protection and just as I was about to climb the ladder to look for him......he's black crystaled out.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
There's a very good shield before the 1st boss in that area, and another very good shield right after the 2nd boss.

You can get one for free (Crimson Parma) on the path to
Heide's Tower of Flame from Majula
. Not very decent though (not a 100% phys shield). The best early-ish free 100% phys shield you can get that will last you a quite sometime would be the Drangleic Shield, but that requires you to kill a particularly challenging boss first. Others you can buy from Maughlin aren't too bad but will cost you. If you're playing on the PC (and preordered) you should have received the newb pack which has assorted shields you can use until something better pops up.

Maughlin sells a decent shield very early on in the game.

Cool, thanks.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is flame swathe garbage online? I'd assume yes but if they're close enough to me, even if they attack me they'll get hit anyway.

Trying to find a good balance of pyromancies to use. I like Great Combustion but the range is short, I like Flame Whip but the cast time is slow, Chaos Storm is okay in certain situations so I don't mind it, Forbidden Sun is good.

I don't really want to use more things since I hate scrolling through all the spells, but is there something to replace one of the above with? I tried toxic mist in a few matches and not sure if they just had crazy resistances but it wasn't really working out. I don't have Great Chaos Fireball either but if that's good I could use that I guess.

Sweet christ the powerstanced helix + mastodon halberds are fucking nuts. Either >3/4 of my HP if it hits or just about all of my stamina if I block it. They always have the jester chest or iron clad armour as well -_-

Backstab negating gear is such a terrible idea.

Ruuppa

Is flame swathe garbage online? I'd assume yes but if they're close enough to me, even if they attack me they'll get hit anyway.

Trying to find a good balance of pyromancies to use. I like Great Combustion but the range is short, I like Flame Whip but the cast time is slow, Chaos Storm is okay in certain situations so I don't mind it, Forbidden Sun is good.

I don't really want to use more things since I hate scrolling through all the spells, but is there something to replace one of the above with? I tried toxic mist in a few matches and not sure if they just had crazy resistances but it wasn't really working out. I don't have Great Chaos Fireball either but if that's good I could use that I guess.

Lingering Flame is pretty excellent, since you don't really need to worry about targetting it. Toxic Mist ticks really slow, and is only useful in conjunction with other Toxic -inducing things. Even then, you need to restrict the enemy's movement.. At least it's better than in DkS1.

Myomoto

I don't think I've managed to ever poison another player with Toxic Mist (it's amazing for pve, though). I don't know if people have started to stack poison resist gear, or if Toxic Mist is just so much worse than Dark Fog, which I used to be able to poison people with within 2 casts. I guess the advantage of Toxic Mist is that it actually stacks with poison effects since it applies Toxic.

Have people had any success with Acid Surge? Does it break people's stuff fast enough to be worth it?

I don't think I've managed to ever poison another player with Toxic Mist (it's amazing for pve, though). I don't know if people have started to stack poison resist gear, or if Toxic Mist is just so much worse than Dark Fog, which I used to be able to poison people with within 2 casts. I guess the advantage of Toxic Mist is that it actually stacks with poison effects since it applies Toxic.

Have people had any success with Acid Surge? Does it break people's stuff fast enough to be worth it?

Playing as a Pyro on my first playtrough, Acid surge, toxic mist etc never did anything for me in PVP.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Welp, I see.

Lingering Flame is okay but if they move then it's pointless. Same if I'm invading.

Maybe lingering flame + warmth heh heh

Soulhouf

Welp, I see.

Lingering Flame is okay but if they move then it's pointless. Same if I'm invading.

Maybe lingering flame + warmth heh heh

Chaos Fireball is pretty good if you have it. Manually aim it and the lava does the job even if you miss your target.

I'm definately going to wait until all 3 parts are out, each third sounds pretty short to me from what they said. This first area looks pretty boring visually, but layout-wise sounds very maze/puzzle-like which I like a lot.

A German Spy briefly mentioned (spoiler free) the DLC in his last video, and he spoke about how they got some of the NPC dialogue scripts when they were working on the guide, so that basically confirms that it was made alongside the main game (not that this particularly concerns me), and also that storywise it should please players.

Top Bottom