• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jaeger

Playing NG with one of my newer characters, in Prep for next month's DLC. Gonna try and farm the Ruin Set for the first time.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ho boy, is this game addictive. I'm about level 53ish, having beaten a few bosses and have spent some time helping other players beat bosses as well. Playing as a Cleric is heaps of fun (thanks for the suggestion, Durante) especially now that I have Lighting Spear. I'm still using the mace that I started with and I've gotten it up to +3. Not sure what to do next re: upgrades. I've put 20 into strength and 30 into faith at the moment if it helps. Also, what armour should I be wearing?

Altazor

My hexer got to Drangleic Castle before getting the final Primal Soul (thanks, Soul Memory!)... my arachnophobia got the better of me, so I decided to save Brighstone for last.

Actually, managed to defeat the Dragonrider duo (cheap-ass boss fight) before heading out to Brightstone to finish the damn thing. Defeating Freja wasn't as hard as I thought - though it still took me two tries. First one ended badly as I got swarmed by the little spiders (ewwwwwwwww just thinking about it gives me the shivers) but in the second one I DEFEATED.

And I managed to do this in, like, a third of the time it took me during my first run. Progress!

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Ho boy, is this game addictive. I'm about level 53ish, having beaten a few bosses and have spent some time helping other players beat bosses as well. Playing as a Cleric is heaps of fun (thanks for the suggestion, Durante) especially now that I have Lighting Spear. I'm still using the mace that I started with and I've gotten it up to +3. Not sure what to do next re: upgrades. I've put 20 into strength and 30 into faith at the moment if it helps. Also, what armour should I be wearing?

If you are only emphasizing playstyle which involves not getting hit by the enemy, then
.wear equipment which gives you unique bonus'es
.wear equipment which looks good on your character

AlexBasch

So, Belfry Luna.

It appears that I continue my losing streak along the three Souls games, in which I haven't won a single PVP match and where most of the time, I get absolutely wrecked or one shotted.

Bellbros aren't making this any easier and I'm running against guys with clubs and havel armor. I just need one win to stop feeling this bad I swear. :p

EDIT: I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE IT. I WON A GODDAMN MATCH.

Excuse me while I go to sleep and fap while laughing maniacally or something. Oh my god, that was downright intense. I need to lie down for a bit.

taybul

Fuck you so much, Rat King Authority, fuck you! I can see why they put the bonfire so close to the entrance. If it's not the smaller rats toxifying me in the first few seconds then it's the king's absolutely dumb attack range. I try to run under his legs as melee like everyone seems to be suggesting but nope, hops back, readies a charge, and it's the end of another 5-second attempt.

Ruuppa

Gonna get going on NG+ and start working on that extra 25 points in Faith. That Sun Spear better be worth it.

Only for bosses and PVP. Great Lightning Spear gives you a lot more mileage in normal PVE, and still cheeses bosses into oblivion.

Fuck you so much, Rat King Authority, fuck you! I can see why they put the bonfire so close to the entrance. If it's not the smaller rats toxifying me in the first few seconds then it's the king's absolutely dumb attack range. I try to run under his legs as melee like everyone seems to be suggesting but nope, hops back, readies a charge, and it's the end of another 5-second attempt.

If you have some ranged attacks, you can try sniping the dogs before the fight starts. It instantly aggroes them and the boss, but it's still possible to kill two of them before they get to you.

Take out the smaller rats by rushing into them with a Fire AOE spell like Fire Storm/Fire Tempest/Chaos Fire Storm and wear some armor with poise to ensure that you don't get interrupted while casting. If you're lucky, the Rat Authority will also get damaged by the AOE spell.

After that, switch over to a fire projectile spell like Great Fireball/Forbidden Sun/Great Chaos Fireball/etc, hug his hind legs and if he does the hop back maneuver, run towards him again and roll under him quickly, wait for the lunge and burn its ass.

Fire/Fire based weaponry is the great equalizer in this battle. Only time I switch over to Fire for a boss fight would be for this one.

Mistel

Banned
I try to run under his legs as melee like everyone seems to be suggesting but nope, hops back, readies a charge, and it's the end of another 5-second attempt.
Go for the back right leg.
Probably. Same thing happened in DS1, and it was even more pronounced. The difference between my 2 characters reaching the final boss was like 50 or 60 hours. Damn.
Yeah it does that there's no really balance between melee and the other ways I think.

Xeroblade

Does anyone do cosplay souls? And not just other enemies in the game but like other people from other games?

Also, I saw 2 guys playing as throne defender and the other as throne watcher, they would summon 2 reds and they would wait one the iron bridge. At first when i got summoned i thought it was a fightclub, so i started to attack the other red, till i noticed the 2 white dudes waiting for us in the middle of the iron bridge. I thought it was a pretty sweet and fun idea. Got summoned twice and lost both times too!

Does anyone have an idea for a weapon for a miracle caster (i got The Dragon Chime)?

I'm in NG+, my mace +10 show its limits.
I try Sun sword +10, but meh...

It will be mostly for PVP.
lvl 165, STR 30 DEX 14, FAITH 74.

i've got all the boss souls in double. Just want something not too heavy.

Ruuppa

Does anyone have an idea for a weapon for a miracle caster (i got The Dragon Chime)?

I'm in NG+, my mace +10 show its limits.
I try Sun sword +10, but meh...

It will be mostly for PVP.
lvl 165, STR 30 DEX 14, FAITH 74.

i've got all the boss souls in double. Just want something not too heavy.

Can't go wrong with Defender Greatsword.

I can't beat the stupid 3 sentinals boss. Are there any strong medium sized shields (like the tower shield) I can get at this point? My current shield blocks their hits, but I keep losing a bit of health. It doesn't help that it's still early in the game and my health bar is short. I also only have 1 more human effigy left so I can't afford to die often. Any tips?

Xeroblade

I can't beat the stupid 3 sentinals boss. Are there any strong medium sized shields (like the tower shield) I can get at this point? My current shield blocks their hits, but I keep losing a bit of health. It doesn't help that it's still early in the game and my health bar is short. I also only have 1 more human effigy left so I can't afford to die often. Any tips?

Always roll left. Just time their swings. You can always summon someone to help you so that way you can take them 1 vs 1. But yes i have their timing down on their swings and i never get hit once. Just time and patience thats all.

Ruuppa

You can find a really good shield just after the Pursuer in Forest of the Fallen Giants. Just jump down a hole. If you haven't done the Forest, go do so now.

Try to get summoned a couple of times for them. It'll net you practice on fighting them, give you Souls and return you to human.

SoldnerKei

Also, I saw 2 guys playing as throne defender and the other as throne watcher, they would summon 2 reds and they would wait one the iron bridge. At first when i got summoned i thought it was a fightclub, so i started to attack the other red, till i noticed the 2 white dudes waiting for us in the middle of the iron bridge. I thought it was a pretty sweet and fun idea. Got summoned twice and lost both times too!

I was summoned like that too, summoner was just watching us fight, I killed the Red dude but ended with like 5 pixels of HP, second time I killed both guys lel

there was this guy too, who killed me with a single backstab two times, at least I killed him one to reclaim half of my honor lol, I want to do that, I like dagger builds a lot, even if they're weak outside backstabbing

dark infuse resin is working pretty good for me, also those dark bombs, they do ok damage, is dark element viable for melee builds?

You can find a really good shield just after the Pursuer in Forest of the Fallen Giants. Just jump down a hole. If you haven't done the Forest, go do so now.

Try to get summoned a couple of times for them. It'll net you practice on fighting them, give you Souls and return you to human.

I didn't beat the Persuer as it was too hard at the moment haha

J-Roderton

Only for bosses and PVP. Great Lightning Spear gives you a lot more mileage in normal PVE, and still cheeses bosses into oblivion.

Good. That's really all I need it for is a good bit of boss damage. Any good miracles to find/buy early on. I only have a few, Magic Barrier, Heal, and Emit Force or something like that.

Ruuppa

I didn't beat the Persuer as it was too hard at the moment haha

You should go do him now, as he's still a lot easier than the Sentinels. You get a damage boosting ring from him, and there's a good armor set to be found after him, with the shield.

Good. That's really all I need it for is a good bit of boss damage. Any good miracles to find/buy early on. I only have a few, Magic Barrier, Heal, and Emit Force or something like that.

You have the essentials then. Force (not Emit Force) has some uses in PVP, but otherwise it's too slow. Heavenly Thunder and Soul Appease are pretty useful in certain battles, and Heavenly Thunder can be a nice card in PVP as well. You can get Heavenly Thunder from Blue Sentinel Targray, and Soul Appease from Stone Trader Chloanne.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Got through the Looking Glass (see what I did there???) Knight yesterday with the help of a Sunbro going by "A Manly Man". Think Saxton Hale without the hat and that was pretty much him. How could one refuse to summon someone like that?
Made the fight a bit too easy, but I had been helping people out as a white phantom previously to get some training in.

So as I understand it, the mages in Shrine of Amana had a way higher range previously? They certainly are dicks, but not too hard to manage with a melee build, I find. I've fallen in love with The Lost Sinner's Sword as well, the slight damage isn't really an issue thanks to lifegems

Ruuppa

Got through the Looking Glass (see what I did there???) Knight yesterday with the help of a Sunbro going by "A Manly Man". Think Saxton Hale without the hat and that was pretty much him. How could one refuse to summon someone like that?
Made the fight a bit too easy, but I had been helping people out as a white phantom previously to get some training in.

So as I understand it, the mages in Shrine of Amana had a way higher range previously? They certainly are dicks, but not too hard to manage with a melee build, I find. I've fallen in love with The Lost Sinner's Sword as well, the slight damage isn't really an issue thanks to lifegems

Ooo, no more invading/sinning for you then!

I'm thinking of running a Butcher's Knife build, since it seems like a neato weapon. Too bad there is no Sack in the game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ooo, no more invading/sinning for you then!

I'm thinking of running a Butcher's Knife build, since it seems like a neato weapon. Too bad there is no Sack in the game.

Why would I invade or sin when I'm in the Blue Sentinels ;)? I invade sinners and strike them down :D.

Ruuppa

Why would I invade or sin when I'm in the Blue Sentinels ;)? I invade sinners and strike them down :D.

Because of all the fanmail and delicious tears?

I really hope the DLCs include proper Eye Orbs; Invading is a proper pain, even though you can buy the cracked ones in NG+.

Edit: Fun fact: You can never cosplay as Titchy Gren (nevermind the height difference). There can only be ***chy Gren!

taybul

One thing that helped me was after killing the first one on the ledge, stay there and wait for another to jump up and hurt him as much as possible. When the second joins, jump off the ledge and wait under it and wail on the first one that drops.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Because of all the fanmail and delicious tears?

I really hope the DLCs include proper Eye Orbs; Invading is a proper pain, even though you can buy the cracked ones in NG+.

Edit: Fun fact: You can never cosplay as Titchy Gren (nevermind the height difference). There can only be ***chy Gren!

I play on PC so no hatemail for me :(. I'm sure Blue Sentinels get their fair share of hatemail though.

Ruuppa

I play on PC so no hatemail for me :(. I'm sure Blue Sentinels get their fair share of hatemail though.

That's the one thing I miss from GFWL: Instant messaging of other players. Now you have to jump through hoops:

1. Send a friend-request
2. Wait for them to accept
3. Message them with your choice of swearword
4. Block them forever

Tough times, these are.

OK gonna try that.
Btw, should i infuse my dragon chime with lightning? Looks cool it seems...

Yes, definitely. Same with the Defender Greatsword.

So I killed the persuer, got the awesome armor, used the souls to upgrade my sword and level up my equip load. The sentinals became a complete cake walk!! Thanks gaf :)

Mistel

Banned
Prisoners hood instead maybe? I hope you are infusing it the scaling is better that way. E/B at max for lightning for example.

Ruuppa

Prisoners hood instead maybe? I hope you are infusing it the scaling is better that way. E/B at max for lightning for example.

Imported might also work well. Prisoner's Hood is the closest to the look, yeah. Probably going with Fire-infusion, along with some Pyromancies on the side for the Maneater cosplay. Wanted to name the character Butcher, but but.. ***cher doesn't have a nice ring to it.

Seance

Banned
PC NG+ pvp is pretty hideous. If someone isn't hacking then they modded to level 838.

Got twice invaded by a max level blue with this setup.

-Ironclad chest
-Gyrm Warrior Greathelm
-Havels leggings and gauntlets
-Both Illusory rings
-Mundane Helix Halberd
-Dark Mastadon Halberd (powerstanced)

-GMB
-Sacred Oath
-Numbness
-Dark Weapon
-Great Heal
-Resonant Flesh
(I guess no slots for Profound Still, lol)

Not very fun. I can't be bothered getting rank 3 in Blues now, i will just stick to NG from now on :/

PC NG+ pvp is pretty hideous. If someone isn't hacking then they modded to level 838.

Got twice invaded by a max level blue with this setup.

-Ironclad chest
-Gyrm Warrior Greathelm
-Havels leggings and gauntlets
-Both Illusory rings
-Mundane Helix Halberd
-Dark Mastadon Halberd (powerstanced)

-GMB
-Sacred Oath
-Numbness
-Dark Weapon
-Great Heal
-Resonant Flesh
(I guess no slots for Profound Still, lol)

Not very fun. I can't be bothered getting rank 3 in Blues now, i will just stick to NG from now on :/

I had a guy the other night who was wearing full Havel's gear (with all the magical trimmings, of course) but he was using an ultra greatsword; A weirdly punishable weapon for such a powered-up build. I figured that if I played carefully I'd be able get a few backstabs and guard breaks in and eventually wear him down. We fought for a bit and then when I went in for a backstab he fucking quick-swapped to the jester chest. In an instant it just poofed into existence and I took a worthless swing at his back for incredibly low damage :(

My style of play is not reliant of backstabs, but against certain weapons it's definitely ideal to try and go for them when the opportunity presents itself. There wasn't anything that completely stopped backstabs in DS1 was there?

Ruuppa

I had a guy the other night who was wearing full Havel's gear (with all the magical trimmings, of course) but he was using an ultra greatsword; A weirdly punishable weapon for such a powered-up build. I figured that if I played carefully I'd be able get a few backstabs and guard breaks in and eventually wear him down. We fought for a bit and then when I went in for a backstab he fucking quick-swapped to the jester chest. In an instant it just poofed into existence and I took a worthless swing at his back for incredibly low damage :(

My style of play is not reliant of backstabs, but against certain weapons it's definitely ideal to try and go for them when the opportunity presents itself. There wasn't anything that completely stopped backstabs in DS1 was there?

No, and the backstabs were instant and a lot easier to pull off, something that defined a large number of PVP matches in it. Without backstab-negating gear that part of the PVP in DkS2 would be fine, disregarding lagstabs. That tiny delay on the backstab activation makes all the difference in the world.

Booshka

Arena is fecal right now. Fighting people across the world, with region lock on, a bunch of jester coat, butt faced tryhards with 3K health.

Couple decent fights here and there, and going about 50/50 win loss, but man is this shit just lame most of the time.

Ruuppa

Arena is fecal right now. Fighting people across the world, with region lock on, a bunch of jester coat, butt faced tryhards with 3K health.

Couple decent fights here and there, and going about 50/50 win loss, but man is this shit just lame most of the time.

Red or Blue arena? Red arena is horrifying to the nth degree, but Blue wasn't too bad when I last tried it.

Booshka

Red or Blue arena? Red arena is horrifying to the nth degree, but Blue wasn't too bad when I last tried it.

Red, haven't really tried Blue, I mostly just invade as Red, but for some reason felt like seeing what kind of shit was going on in the arena.

Just fought someone who literally played to the strength of Greatswords having insane phantom range and hitboxes, watching them just spam random R1 attacks out of nowhere or after sprinting around, because they know that they are just gifted hits with that broken weapon class.

Those would of taken ages to get as drops.

Yeah!

Or a couple dozen seconds with cheating.

Yeah... I don't know what to believe. Either way the Ruin set looks aaaaabsolutely dreadful! XD Anyone with 17-18 million soul memory want it?

--

I am loving the Bastard Sword at the moment. At first I went with it because I prefer the look of it over the Claymore and thought I would miss the Claymore's poke. Turns out the Bastard Sword's moveset is pretty beastly and fun to use!

http://a.pomf.se/bhjkim.webm

Blue Tearstone Ring for LIFE

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Question: I've beaten the Ruin Sentinels but I don't have a Pharros' Lockstone (I've already used up the two currently available up to this point) which means I can't do the optional Belfry Luna area to get me the key to to light the fires for the Lost Sinner boss battle. As I rely on casting (Cleric) I don't particularly relish the fight.

Do I have to do Sinner's Rise right now? I've so far beaten The Last Giant, The Pursuer, The Flexible Sentry, The Old Dragonslayer, The Dragonrider and the Ruin Sentinels like I mentioned before. Where should I go next?

Cheers.

Top Bottom