• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Booshka

Can someone please fill me on how the latest updates and patches changed the landscape of PVP and the game?

-Avelyns aren't OP anymore
-Santier's is mediocre instead of amazing
-Great Resonant Soul got nerfed
-Buffs got nerfed on the lower end of the scale, and buffed on the higher end of the scale. The length of your spell depends on your level in that skill. If it is low, you get a shorter weaker buff, if it is higher, you get a longer, stronger buff.
-Binoboosting and Parrywalking is fixed, for now
-Resonant weapon is now useless compared to Dark Weapon
-Buffs stack all on top of each other like Flapjacks at an IHOP, so buff like a half dozen times and become unstoppable (for 2 mins or so)
-Some gear got adjusted and nerfed, Havel's is still OP
-Syan's Halberd got its damage reduced
-Powerstanced Helix Halberd and Mastodon is new OP cheese meta, make sure you wear Gower's, Ironclad or Jester coat for maximum cheese.
-WoG got a little nerf, like 5%

There may be more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head

E92 M3

-Buffs got nerfed on the lower end of the scale, and buffed on the higher end of the scale. The length of your spell depends on your level in that skill. If it is low, you get a shorter weaker buff, if it is higher, you get a longer, stronger buff.
-Buffs stack all on top of each other like Flapjacks at an IHOP, so buff like a half dozen times and become unstoppable (for 2 mins or so)
-Powerstanced Helix Halberd and Mastodon is new OP cheese meta, make sure you wear Gower's, Ironclad or Jester coat for maximum cheese.

Thanks - the buffs stacking sounds very interesting. I need to get back into this game; played the shit out of it then stopped suddenly.

Booshka

Thanks - the buffs stacking sounds very interesting. I need to get back into this game; played the shit out of it then stopped suddenly.

Interesting is one way of putting it, they balanced it nicely for lower leveled builds and spices, but now it is totally broken and OP for higher leveled do everything builds. Which, due to Soul Memory, means that everyone is going to be abusing this shit and they have even more incentive to jack up their Soul Level.

E92 M3

Interesting is one way of putting it, they balanced it nicely for lower leveled builds and spices, but now it is totally broken and OP for higher leveled do everything builds. Which, due to Soul Memory, means that everyone is going to be abusing this shit and they have even more incentive to jack up their Soul Level.

That's true - I am a very high level and have over 20 million souls that I don't want to use due to feeling OP.

I'll admit though, I'll miss using the dual Avelyn - fun as crap trolling people with them. Especially gankers.

Question.....
If both the Summon and I die during a boss fight, will that summon be available again if I become human again? Reason I ask is because Smelter Demon is kicking my but. My thought was I should at least get better at fighting the boss so I don't mess up when actually using the summon(if I can only summon once)....

Sullichin

Question.....
If both the Summon and I die during a boss fight, will that summon be available again if I become human again? Reason I ask is because Smelter Demon is kicking my but. My thought was I should at least get better at fighting the boss so I don't mess up when actually using the summon(if I can only summon once)....

If it's the NPC, yes the sign will be there again

Renekton

Lets be serious now. The DLC is coming, can't stop that now.

Besides what little I believe is wrong doesn't take away from the awesomeness enough to warrant that kind of attention at this point.
Well they should at least attempt to improve some of the underlying mechanics:

- Up to 3x durability loss in PC version
- Funky hitboxes, people getting backstabbed several feet away

Both problems imply the physics and main game logic has a separate clock from the renderer.

Jaeger

Well they should at least attempt to improve some of the underlying mechanics:

- Up to 3x durability loss in PC version
- Funky hitboxes, people getting backstabbed several feet away

Both problems imply the physics and main game logic has a separate clock from the renderer.

Don't know about the durability issue on the PC version. 360 version on here. Something to do with the fps? And the ever changing hitboxes and resulting backstabs is indeed an issue, and I'm sure they are doing their best to fix it. Alot of it has to do with shitty connections, though. Because when it's good, the match is good.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Lost Sinner vanquished! All thanks to jolly co-operation. With the absolute tonne of souls I received my Faith is now at 50. I'm not sure where to pump my stats now. Strength is at 20, Vit, Vig and End are all at about 10 each. Attunement is at 20 but I have all the spells I need for now. Hmmmmm...

Booshka

Lost Sinner vanquished! All thanks to jolly co-operation. With the absolute tonne of souls I received my Faith is now at 50. I'm not sure where to pump my stats now. Strength is at 20, Vit, Vig and End are all at about 10 each. Attunement is at 20 but I have all the spells I need for now. Hmmmmm...

Level your Vig and Endurance to 20. Then keep cranking Vigor to around 40-50 so you dont get 2 shot by everything.

SoldnerKei

and better lore without relying on DS1 references.

this, as much as I loved Lordran, I would like to know more about the current kingdom lore, I mean the golems never were really explained right? or stuff regarding the giants, or perhaps other kingdom that was after lordran, i dunno

thou I am expecting more equipment for my fashion souls characters, Chloanne's Dress for example ehem... for science and fashion of course

Jaeger

this, as much as I loved Lordran, I would like to know more about the current kingdom lore, I mean the golems never were really explained right? or stuff regarding the giants, or perhaps other kingdom that was after lordran, i dunno

thou I am expecting more equipment for my fashion souls characters, Chloanne's Dress for example ehem... for science and fashion of course

Besides them establishing that this world exist in the same as world Lordran once did, and subtle nods to previous characters, how is the lore "dependant" on Dark Souls 1?

And, I'd love to have The Pursuer's Armor Set, and Giant Lord Set + Greatsword (with Special Attack that force/wave/shock from his blade).

Yeah, the DS1 references distracted me from the actual setting and made me instead focus on how the world was supposed to stem from the DS1 one. Even a lot of what made the world different were presented as not always being in place as it was in the past.

It wasn't until the late game that the game made an effort to make Drangelic stand out and have its own history, and after that I was wondering what the point of all of the DS1 references were when they had something cool going for them with the story of the giants and the Drangelic kingdom.

Jaeger

The story is deeply related to DS1 and doesnt work without the references to it. It's a pretty silly complaint.

Agreed. Knowing the games and a few characters are connected.. how the fuck does that ruin a game, or make it worse? Especially if said game is so great to begin with?

How? Which references?

Ornstein making a return being the obvious one, the broken lord vessel, black knight weapons making a return, mentions that Lordran used to be called something else.
It only made me wonder what all of the places were supposed to be before rather than what they are now. In the end I actually found the late game stuff more interesting than what DS1 references I found and it wasn't until I experienced it that I started to relate most places to what had happened.

Granted, it could just be the way the game doesn't give much to go by in general before late game than the references themselves.

Jaeger

Ornstein making a return being the obvious one, the broken lord vessel, black knight weapons making a return, mentions that Lordran used to be called something else.
It only made me wonder what all of the places were supposed to be before rather than what they are now. In the end I actually found the late game stuff more interesting than what DS1 references I found and it wasn't until I experienced it that I started to relate most places to what had happened.

Granted, it could just be the way the game doesn't give much to go by in general before late game than the references themselves.

But, how do these connections actually hinder you from enjoying the game? The correlation between storyline, and "That makes this game bad" just doesn't click for me.

I'm not trying to say they made the game bad or hindered my enjoyment (and I don't think the guy I quoted was either), I was just agreeing that I would've liked to see more focus on the post-Lordran stuff.

Myomoto

Question.....

You can keep using NPC summons to your hearts content. The summoning sign only disappears when you defeat the boss (as does any other big white soapstone summoning signs.)

GorillaJu

I thought I'd be done after playing through the main campaign once but I've now got 4 characters through to NG+ and I can't stop PvPing.

I have crafted my own honor code for slaying dragonbros.

- I do not to use Flask at all when fighting, but if my opponent uses one I'll chug too.

- I always wait for an emote or an attack from them before I start attacking, but if they try to buff their weapon they're getting poked in the fucking face, because I don't use any magic so I consider weapon buffing to be the same as casting any other offensive spell.

- If they wear Havel's, they're getting the poison-tipped Trident.

- If they do douchey things, I taunt them after I kill them.

Got a good record so far (hanging around SL150), something like 14W 3L. Some guy named 'slygamer' tried to be a crafty fucker, he was wearing full Havel's and chugged like a fish and tried to lure me into the Alonne knights in Iron Keep to get an easier fight. He finally ran out of Estus flasks and was dying to poison so I was happy to just emote troll him while he died. Most satisfying kill ever.

Jumped back into some Iron Keep PvP the other day before running out of Gold...

Man, is it shit now. People healing left and right, Defender Greatswords everywhere, ridiculously high HP opponents (my Pursuer's was actually chipping away at these bastards). I didn't last more than 20 minutes.

I was keen of the DLC, but now that my Gold has run out, I may reassess. I've had more than enough fun with the game, so I feel like I could possibly retire it for good now. Soul Memory be damned :mad:

Jaeger

Having a blast trying to get as much as I can off this list; http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Rare+Items

Got Ruin Helm, and Leggings. Aurous Helm. Almost a full Shadow Set for my second character (got a full set on my original).

I thought I'd be done after playing through the main campaign once but I've now got 4 characters through to NG+ and I can't stop PvPing.

I have crafted my own honor code for slaying dragonbros.

- I do not to use Flask at all when fighting, but if my opponent uses one I'll chug too.

- I always wait for an emote or an attack from them before I start attacking, but if they try to buff their weapon they're getting poked in the fucking face, because I don't use any magic so I consider weapon buffing to be the same as casting any other offensive spell.

- If they wear Havel's, they're getting the poison-tipped Trident.

- If they do douchey things, I taunt them after I kill them.

Got a good record so far (hanging around SL150), something like 14W 3L. Some guy named 'slygamer' tried to be a crafty fucker, he was wearing full Havel's and chugged like a fish and tried to lure me into the Alonne knights in Iron Keep to get an easier fight. He finally ran out of Estus flasks and was dying to poison so I was happy to just emote troll him while he died. Most satisfying kill ever.

That's pretty much how I play it, too. Although I still don't chug usually when they do. I stay in their face because they showed me they can't actually do high level PVP by using flask.

Jumped back into some Iron Keep PvP the other day before running out of Gold...

Man, is it shit now. People healing left and right, Defender Greatswords everywhere, ridiculously high HP opponents (my Pursuer's was actually chipping away at these bastards). I didn't last more than 20 minutes.

I was keen of the DLC, but now that my Gold has run out, I may reassess. I've had more than enough fun with the game, so I feel like I could possibly retire it for good now. Soul Memory be damned :mad:

Iron Keep became gank/wuss city about a month or so ago. The best PVP seems to be in the Brotherhood of Blood (although we still got some healers in there too at high levels).

Volcynika

I don't know where to go next D:

Currently at a point where
I defeated the Rotten, the Lost Sinner, and Freja spider thing.
I think I've done some sidequest bosses here and there, but not sure how to progress the main story.

Mistel

Banned
I don't know where to go next D:

Currently at a point where
I defeated the Rotten, the Lost Sinner, and Freja spider thing.
I think I've done some sidequest bosses here and there, but not sure how to progress the main story.
Visit Licia in the rotunda she will open up the path you need to follow to the last of the four great souls. Or you can got the other way with 1 million souls memory.

You can keep using NPC summons to your hearts content. The summoning sign only disappears when you defeat the boss (as does any other big white soapstone summoning signs.)

Looks like in practicing with Smelter, I beat him without Lucatiel. Hope not using her doesn't hurt me in some way.....

Ruuppa

Looks like in practicing with Smelter, I beat him without Lucatiel. Hope not using her doesn't hurt me in some way.....

You need to use her on 3 separate bosses, and have her survive, to eventually get her armorset and weapon. Same with Benhart.

You can use Bonfire Ascetics to do some bosses again if they didn't survive the first time. Congregation is great for Benhart and Flexile Sentry is good for Lucatiel.

You need to use her on 3 separate bosses, and have her survive, to eventually get her armorset and weapon. Same with Benhart.

You can use Bonfire Ascetics to do some bosses again if they didn't survive the first time. Congregation is great for Benhart and Flexile Sentry is good for Lucatiel.

I have a STR/Faith character. Is Lucatiel's sword and armor any good?

Mistel

Banned
I have a STR/Faith character. Is Lucatiel's sword and armor any good?
Not really for a strength faith build it's a dex scaling weapon once infused with lighnting you'd get D/B/B scaling with 175/175 split at max. A normal mirrah greatsword is C/A with 250 damage at max.

This also applies to the old mirrah greatsword which is exactly identical except in name and description.

Laconic

Banned

Ah, the MMO approach to balancing. Gotta love it.
Not at all.

Jaeger

On my second character, I just straight killed her as soon as I first encountered her at the Lost Bastille. I just wanted to check out her sword. I didn't like it much.

Altazor

man, I miss binocular boosting. Made traversing some safer areas a breeze.

On a different note, holy SHIT @ Demon of Song!
defeated that thing without taking damage just by casting Dark Orb. Actually, DoS never used any attack that wasn't pounding the ground with its hands. He sucks.

Ruuppa

man, I miss binocular boosting. Made traversing some safer areas a breeze.

On a different note, holy SHIT @ Demon of Song!
defeated that thing without taking damage just by casting Dark Orb. Actually, DoS never used any attack that wasn't pounding the ground with its hands. He sucks.

Most boring boss in the game. Overall, the bosses are mostly just fodder aside from a couple of interesting ones.

Man, I miss O&S.

The story is deeply related to DS1 and doesnt work without the references to it. It's a pretty silly complaint.

The game is placed in Vilheim, another continent

Its not silly From even said it DS2 didnt have a relation with DS1 in the beggining of the game development, the game is about centuries ahead of DS1 in their effort to make then looks unique and insert wharever new mechanic they intended to do for the sake of a fresh game which I agree.

You enter the game, visit the old ladies which instantly changes the game enviroment, everything changed, new, then you visit Majula and you heard about the war destroyed the land not the curse itself which is a cool settings before you venturing in the forest, the fortress and then you find Heide....

Bamm !!! lets screw "DS1 fans" with this zone lore, this where you know who really read the lore to understand this is not lordran and the new studio team dont care about bringing DS1 elements without explanation in a new area, first at all you find a undead who linked the fire as one of the first old warriors you find there, second one the fire tower is a reference about gwynivere husband maybe they landed here? but who knows this is never explained ingame then you find who push the idea about the "first flame events are too far away no one knows what happened" and yes the infamous Old dragonsalyer which will be cause of endless discussion about who shot first unless the studio just throw a coin and decided who really is.

I would expand it more but after Heide you will find DS1 weapons with description about a "long time ago", "no one knows","a distant land","a forgoten warrior","no ones remember this name" giving you the impression you are lordran.

The bosses souls are an alegory about DS1 instead of their own, special mention to the Irong king with Gwyn but they basically related the old ones with the lords falling again depending of DS1 and dont get me start with
Nashandra

But yeah thats my opinion.

I'm not trying to say they made the game bad or hindered my enjoyment (and I don't think the guy I quoted was either), I was just agreeing that I would've liked to see more focus on the post-Lordran stuff.

The game curmbles itself when it started relying of making mentions of the previous "figures" of DS1 at the point of figuring out who was that shady character they are mentioning instead of relying own your timeline characters, NG+ doesnt help either with the phantoms.

Mistel

Banned
Old dragonsalyer which will be cause of endless discussion about who shot first unless the studio just throw a coin and decided who really is.
Like so?:
It appears that we still haven't seen the last of Lord Gwyn's mighty knights - Dragonslayer Ornstein appears before us once more. But this time, he's alone, and something seems… odd. Instead of the lightning powers that he once possessed, he attacks with the power of Darkness. Is this truly the same proud knight we faced in Lordran so long ago? If so, the flow of time is distorted, indeed. If not, then where else could this Old Dragonslayer have come from?
Which casts doubt on the legitimacy of claims of that being the original as I interpret it.

knitoe

Last month, after wasting many hours trying no death runs, I call it quit, but being a anal retentive person that I am, I couldn't stop myself. So, taking it easy and wasting another 30 more hours, I finally did it. The closer to the end, the closer I got to getting a heart attack. Now, time to gather items for the no resting at bonfire run in NG+ Should be much more easy not worrying about dying.

Jaeger

All of those loose connections and remains of Lordran are very interesting to me. And like all Souls games, you can pretty much ignore the story aspect all together as it is not thrown in your face, like a typical RPG does with it's plot. I don't see how at all this story and it's connections to it's same name prequel, hurt this game in anyway.

Minamu

Does that mean I can use my Sunlight Blade three times and abssolutely wreck in pvp?

Booshka

Does that mean I can use my Sunlight Blade three times and abssolutely wreck in pvp?

No, different buffs stack.

Try out Sacred Oath, Numbness, Great magic barrier, Resonant Flesh, then buff your weapon.

Get like 3K health and insane defense, it's totally balanced and leads to quality PvP encounters.

Minamu

Try out Sacred Oath, Numbness, Great magic barrier, Resonant Flesh, then buff your weapon.

Get like 3K health and insane defense, it's totally balanced and leads to quality PvP encounters.
Oh, that sucks ;) Not a big magics fan to be honest, never bothered with learning what does what. I already have almost 3k hp without buffs, I'm SL 310 xD Thank you based Giant Lord with Tseldora Set and Silver ring+2..

Ruuppa

Sooo.. Havel + GMB + Numbness + SO + RF + Resplendent Life + Old Sun Ring + Ring of Thorns +2 trolling build? No weapons, just get the other guy to attack you and trigger the specials. Maybe Immolation for funsies.

My ATN is 34, so according to this (http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Attunement) I should have 8 slots, but I only have 6. I just raised it to 39, still 6.

Help?

Incorrect wiki. I mostly use darksouls2.wikidot.com/, with some http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/ sometimes.

All of those loose connections and remains of Lordran are very interesting to me. And like all Souls games, you can pretty much ignore the story aspect all together as it is not thrown in your face, like a typical RPG does with it's plot. I don't see how at all this story and it's connections to it's same name prequel, hurt this game in anyway.

20140521080620!Emerald_Herald_Trailer_01.jpg

Sullichin

Sooo.. Havel + GMB + Numbness + SO + RF + Resplendent Life + Old Sun Ring + Ring of Thorns +2 trolling build? No weapons, just get the other guy to attack you and trigger the specials. Maybe Immolation for funsies.

Incorrect wiki. I mostly use darksouls2.wikidot.com/, with some http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/ sometimes.
Nah, Old Sun Ring is easy to dodge usually and ROT doesn't do that much damage. I wasn't sure how I felt about these rings when the game first came out but I think they're fine really.

Top Bottom