• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

Question: I've beaten the Ruin Sentinels but I don't have a Pharros' Lockstone (I've already used up the two currently available up to this point) which means I can't do the optional Belfry Luna area to get me the key to to light the fires for the Lost Sinner boss battle. As I rely on casting (Cleric) I don't particularly relish the fight.

Do I have to do Sinner's Rise right now? I've so far beaten The Last Giant, The Pursuer, The Flexible Sentry, The Old Dragonslayer, The Dragonrider and the Ruin Sentinels like I mentioned before. Where should I go next?

Cheers.

You could jump down the well in Majula with the Silvercat Ring. You can find tons of Lockstones down there.

TheBear

Hey guys, I've just got upto
The Ancient Dragon
. I haven't fought him yet, but as far as i can tell I'm at the end of the game. Should I stop playing and wait for the DLC to come out, or finish it and tackle the DLC in NG+. Is it just the same thing except it's harder?

Question: I've beaten the Ruin Sentinels but I don't have a Pharros' Lockstone (I've already used up the two currently available up to this point) which means I can't do the optional Belfry Luna area to get me the key to to light the fires for the Lost Sinner boss battle. As I rely on casting (Cleric) I don't particularly relish the fight.

Do I have to do Sinner's Rise right now? I've so far beaten The Last Giant, The Pursuer, The Flexible Sentry, The Old Dragonslayer, The Dragonrider and the Ruin Sentinels like I mentioned before. Where should I go next?

Cheers.

You don't have to if you don't wanna. Head to the Hunstman's Copse next if you wish, you have to talk to Licia (where you got the Lightning Spears from) to get her to open that new path. 2k souls required.

You can head down the Pit in Majula if you want another Lockstone to open the path to Belfry Luna, but you'll need to get the expensive Cat Ring from the talking pussycat to survive the fall at this stage. At least 850+ HP is required for the first fall naked, plus the ring.

Ruuppa

The Ancient Dragon
. I haven't fought him yet, but as far as i can tell I'm at the end of the game. Should I stop playing and wait for the DLC to come out, or finish it and tackle the DLC in NG+. Is it just the same thing except it's harder?

Finish the game, but don't go to NG+. Unlike the first game, moving onto NG+ isn't automatic after the final boss.

Edit: Yes, it's quite a bit tougher in NG+. More enemies, everything does more damage, more invasions etc. You get extra items though, some of which you can get by using a Bonfire Ascetic on certain bonfires even on NG.

Mistel

Banned
The Ancient Dragon
No there's still some stuff left to do the memories and the final boss. Along with the king.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
You don't have to if you don't wanna. Head to the Hunstman's Copse next if you wish, you have to talk to Licia (where you got the Lightning Spears from) to get her to open that new path. 2k souls required.

You can head down the Pit in Majula if you want another Lockstone to open the path to Belfry Luna, but you'll need to get the expensive Cat Ring from the talking pussycat to survive the fall at this stage. At least 850+ HP is required for the first fall naked, plus the ring.

You could jump down the well in Majula with the Silvercat Ring. You can find tons of Lockstones down there.

Interesting. Cool, thanks.

TheBear

Finish the game, but don't go to NG+. Unlike the first game, moving onto NG+ isn't automatic after the final boss.

Edit: Yes, it's quite a bit tougher in NG+. More enemies, everything does more damage, more invasions etc. You get extra items though, some of which you can get by using a Bonfire Ascetic on certain bonfires even on NG.

So i can just finish the game and return back when the DLC is released. Awesome! Thank you

Ruuppa

So lucky. I'm trying to farm the Ruin set, now. Such a chore. All I got was leggings so far.

Didn't the latest patch change the Ruin Sentinel spawning? Previously they spawned ~15 times in NG in Drangleic Castle, but I read that they changed it to one spawn only.

Mistel

Banned
Didn't the latest patch change the Ruin Sentinel spawning? Previously they spawned ~15 times in NG in Drangleic Castle, but I read that they changed it to one spawn only.
I think they did change the spawn rate either a blessing or a curse if you want the ruin set.

Sullichin

Red, haven't really tried Blue, I mostly just invade as Red, but for some reason felt like seeing what kind of shit was going on in the arena.

Just fought someone who literally played to the strength of Greatswords having insane phantom range and hitboxes, watching them just spam random R1 attacks out of nowhere or after sprinting around, because they know that they are just gifted hits with that broken weapon class.

Yeah the arena... ugh. fuck

I ruined one of my characters, leveled up to like 230 and mopped up the rest of the achievements in NG+++ (with many bonfires at max intensity). Now, with the way leveling works in this game there's still some things my build isn't totally proficient at, compared to the same level in DS1. But it's still more than I need to craft a specific build obviously.

Deciding to ruin this character was definitely a result of getting very frustrated with SL150 arena PVP. Invading is better. So is IK Bridge (as long as you host so you don't get ganked, of course). I should probably have just given up on the arena. But it sets you up with fast duels, I like the arenas and you don't have to use any effigies or play the summon stone hopping game. It should be really good.

But the fact is my SL230 beast still feels underpowered (or at least inefficient) against the majority of people I fight and that's crazy. Can't blame people for overleveling like crazy as there's no reason at all not to. At this point your build is just what you have equipped and has little to do with your stats. With SL matchmaking, everyone wins. You didn't need to fight the SL300 guys at SL120, and when you did lol darkmoons.

Switching matchmaking to SL - from the start or after a few areas would go miles in improving the PVP. I really hope they see that.

Or..and this is a crazy idea.. they could have a max SL that doesn't get you anywhere close to 99'ng every stat out. From could easily define the PVP meta by defining that max level themselves. Everyone would level up to that if it was reasonable.

Ruuppa

I ruined one of my characters, leveled up to like 230 and mopped up the rest of the achievements in NG+++ (with many bonfires at max intensity). Now, with the way leveling works in this game there's still some things my build isn't totally proficient at, compared to the same level in DS1. But it's still more than I need to craft a specific build obviously.

Deciding to ruin this character was definitely a result of getting very frustrated with SL150 arena PVP. Invading is better. So is IK Bridge (as long as you host so you don't get ganked, of course). I should probably have just given up on the arena. But it sets you up with fast duels, I like the arenas and you don't have to use any effigies or play the summon stone hopping game. It should be really good.

But the fact is my SL230 beast still feels underpowered (or at least inefficient) against the majority of people I fight and that's crazy. Can't blame people for overleveling like crazy as there's no reason at all not to. At this point your build is just what you have equipped and has little to do with your stats. With SL matchmaking, everyone wins. You didn't need to fight the SL300 guys at SL120, and when you did lol darkmoons.

Switching matchmaking to SL - from the start or after a few areas would go miles in improving the PVP. I really hope they see that.

Or..and this is a crazy idea.. they could have a max SL that doesn't get you anywhere close to 99'ng every stat out. From could easily define the PVP meta by defining that max level themselves. Everyone would level up to that if it was reasonable.

SM is FromSoft B-team's dreamchild, there's no way they're changing it to SL now. Makes me really sad to think about it.

Booshka

Ya I am trying hard to not go hollow and level up my character. I absolutely love the build at SL 135, which I feel is nearly perfect for a SL meta for DkS2, not that anyone adheres to it, but the stat distribution and build making at 135 is very satisfying.

So, I just created another character that is like SL 170 right now and is essentially the same as my 135, just with more stats thrown into it for the hell of it. I still find myself playing my completed 135 build more though, I like set builds and characters, don't really care to keep grinding out levels like most people seem to be doing.

Luckily a +10 Great Club with 603 AR and Gold Pine Resin slapped onto it does really good damage to even the tankiest of players, so I almost always have a fighting chance. Problem is, the fighting part isn't as fun as previous Souls games, so I am less motivated to really try and learn the intricacies of PvP in this game. Every bullshit R1 tracking hit, or phantom range broken hitbox that lands, just ticks away at my interest in the fight. That happens literally every fight, so I am hardly engaged in the whole battle like I used to be in Dark 1.

Need to stick to invading, I can still gleam some satisfaction out of that, and win or lose, I can find fun out of almost every invasion. I was never a huge duelist in Souls games anyway, enjoy random invading a lot more, so I should just avoid the Arena altogether and stop acting like maybe the next duel will be the good one.

The Ancient Dragon

There is still no indication of how the DLC will be placed, I hope it will be placed mid game and not end game.

You can end the game and not being forced to NG+ like DS1, My main character is stationed in her first run waiting for the DLC.

Mistel

Banned
There is still no indication of how the DLC will be placed, I hope it will be placed mid game and not end game.

You can end the game and not being forced to NG+ like DS1, My main character is stationed in her first run waiting for the DLC.
I hope the same that you can pick it up any point in the story or at least not that far in.

Soulhouf

Ya I am trying hard to not go hollow and level up my character. I absolutely love the build at SL 135, which I feel is nearly perfect for a SL meta for DkS2, not that anyone adheres to it, but the stat distribution and build making at 135 is very satisfying.

So, I just created another character that is like SL 170 right now and is essentially the same as my 135, just with more stats thrown into it for the hell of it. I still find myself playing my completed 135 build more though, I like set builds and characters, don't really care to keep grinding out levels like most people seem to be doing.

Luckily a +10 Great Club with 603 AR and Gold Pine Resin slapped onto it does really good damage to even the tankiest of players, so I almost always have a fighting chance. Problem is, the fighting part isn't as fun as previous Souls games, so I am less motivated to really try and learn the intricacies of PvP in this game. Every bullshit R1 tracking hit, or phantom range broken hitbox that lands, just ticks away at my interest in the fight. That happens literally every fight, so I am hardly engaged in the whole battle like I used to be in Dark 1.

Need to stick to invading, I can still gleam some satisfaction out of that, and win or lose, I can find fun out of almost every invasion. I was never a huge duelist in Souls games anyway, enjoy random invading a lot more, so I should just avoid the Arena altogether and stop acting like maybe the next duel will be the good one.

Try the blue arena. I don't know why but in my experience I had way way better duels than in the red arena.
It's really bizarre. I didn't try it pre last calibration though so I don't know if it's a recent thing or it was always like this.

I'm in NG, and they are definitely spawning more than once.

They stll spawn multiple times in NG but do not in NG+ and beyond. I remember that because I thought it was rather odd that out of all the minibosses (like the extra Flexile Sentry you get to fight on the way to the Castle) they actually respawned more than once. I also thought that I may have done something differently with the gauntlet in NG (e.g. maybe activating the giant statues with the torches affected their respawn or something like that.)

I was really hoping to farm them in my playthroughs beyond NG, fortunately I was in farming mode in the first playthrough. I managed to snag their full set too in NG.

Booshka

dat damage

When dedication borders on madness, sheesh. Impressive nonetheless.

The strange thing is that I have first try killed Vendrick with no Giant Souls on 4 of my 5 characters. Apparently people say it is rare, but every character I have played has had the opportunity to do it, I get full damage with no Giant Souls, so long as I fight him right after Garl Velstadt.

So someone decided to kill Vendrick with a dagger and no Boss souls, it only took 22 minutes!

http://www.twitch.tv/flamingofuchsia/c/4448743

You can defeat him with the whip too since he is not armored, I think the hard thing is to figure out his moves since He can instankills you so fast you dont have time to learn from it.

nah, hug his left leg and dont get greedy is how I kill him every time.

I had a hard time since I usually tends to attack long rage cuz spells

Jaeger

I plan on keeping this character I'm playing in NG for the DLC. Although it depends on when you encounter it, because I may be way over leveled for the DLC, and I don't want to play it like that). I beat everything already with it, sans AD.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So someone decided to kill Vendrick with a dagger and no Boss souls, it only took 22 minutes!

http://www.twitch.tv/flamingofuchsia/c/4448743
Wow. Good thing she used bleed infusion or that would have taken, what... hours and hours?
Her profile says she's not a gamer and Dark Souls is her first game. I find that hard to believe. O_O

The strange thing is that I have first try killed Vendrick with no Giant Souls on 4 of my 5 characters. Apparently people say it is rare, but every character I have played has had the opportunity to do it, I get full damage with no Giant Souls, so long as I fight him right after Garl Velstadt.
Yeah, it behaves as if you have 5 giant souls if you go straight to him and don't talk to the Emerald Herald after picking up the King's Ring.

You can defeat him with the whip too since he is not armored, I think the hard thing is to figure out his moves since He can instankills you so fast you dont have time to learn from it.
I killed him insanely fast (less than a minute) with powerstanced dual whips (one of which was an Old Whip, which has a bonus vs. Hollows). I think powerstancing two Old Whips+5 must be even more ludicrous.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow I just checked the end of the video and... she gets the trophy for killing him. Which means this was her first time fighting him. And she used a dagger to do it. Damn girl!

Wow I just checked the end of the video and... she gets the trophy for killing him. Which means this was her first time fighting him. And she used a dagger to do it. Damn girl!

Toon account maybe or have previously battled him?

No way you could just infuse the starter dagger if you are a melee, being human and naked after velstat. but awesome feat to be honest

Mogwai

You know, it's pretty easy to create a new user.

Anyway, staying at his left leg and dodging makes the fight so trivial. Only danger is when he jumps back or gets near the wall.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You know, it's pretty easy to create a new user.
True, maybe she did, it seems strange though. What's the character limit in DkS2? I did make an alt for Demon's Souls since the limit was just 4 characters, and I used it a bit in Dark Souls since I did go above 10 >_> but I haven't reached that level in DkS2 yet, especially since I plan on getting it on PC (saving some toons for it xD).

Anyway, staying at his left leg and dodging makes the fight so trivial. Only danger is when he jumps back or gets near the wall.
Okay, you do what she did then. :p

Booshka

Toon account maybe or have previously battled him?

No way you could just infuse the starter dagger if you are a melee, being human and naked after velstat. but awesome feat to be honest

She gave up trying to kill Vendrick with no Giant Souls after a ton of attempts, never went back to him until she felt like doing it again and was able to kill him. She intentionally left him alive until she could kill him that way, her own personal challenge.

I heard about her from the 8-4 play podcast, she apparently never really played games until she got into the first Dark Souls, then moved on to DkS2. I don't think she plays anything else, so that is what she means by not a gamer.

I heard about her from the 8-4 play podcast, she apparently never really played games until she got into the first Dark Souls, then moved on to DkS2. I don't think she plays anything else, so that is what she means by not a gamer.

Not excuses, she is a gamer after surviving DS1

Booshka

I think my time is better spent on trying to beat Ruin Sentinels with a no-shield melee build. That hasn't worked for me yet :/

Dual Powerstanced maces or a 2 handed Great/Large Club. They get absolutely destroyed by strike damage and you can stagger the shit out of them with either of those weapon choices.

Jaeger

What are you guys hoping to see in the DLC? Me, more awesome and badass armors. New weapons, and items. This is freaking exciting.

What are you guys hoping to see in the DLC? Me, more awesome and badass armors. New weapons, and items. This is freaking exciting.

Better game design, not so accessible aka bonfire in every key part of the zone, harder bosses and better lore without relying on DS1 references.

Soulhouf

I don't want more weapons. There are already too many IMO.
They better fix the broken scaling system instead...

Other than that, from what I've seen I hesitate to get the DLC, especially since I completely lost interest after the reveal of Bloodborne.

Jaeger

I don't really have a problem with the level design, just it's lack of interconnectivity with each other like Dark Souls was.

And I don't have a problem with the lore, either. Nor do I see it having a"reliance on the DS1 lore". I mean, besides it's being confirmed taking place in the same world, and some hints of where the Souls of the former lords went, it's its own thing. Which it doesn't have to be, since you know, it is a sequel.

Anyway in terms of difficulty, it's been confirmed the DLC will be the hardest it can be.

and to answer my own question, Smelter Demon is the place for co-op. Got rank 3 in Sunbro pretty fast.

Still dont understand why some people summoned me and then banished me.
Is that my fashion souls? Not Havel enough for you, hum?

Jaeger

Fix everything wrong in the original game first, then we can talk about the DLC :v

Lets be serious now. The DLC is coming, can't stop that now.

Besides what little I believe is wrong doesn't take away from the awesomeness enough to warrant that kind of attention at this point.

Top Bottom