• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Manu

I gotta say though, after getting so used to the Wanderer in DeS and DaS1, using a character that actually hits hard feels almost like cheating.

Booshka

Yep. Sure it's cheating, but you can't really use it to twink since it only works at SL100 and up. Plus, my SL150 character is literally no stronger if I collected 10 million more souls. I wouldn't feel bad about using it.

I could see the PVP community all using this mod if From doesn't do something about Soul Memory.

Just tried using it, and it seems like I did everything right. Ran the exe while Dark Souls was at start screen, I think it was working, but I got no feedback whatsoever if it was doing anything. The text box would tell me when it wasn't working if DkS2 wasn't running, but completely empty when it is supposedly working. I assumed it would show the character loaded, SL and appropriate Soul Memory allocation, but hey what do I know, I don't develop Software.

Then when I am fighting it seems like I am playing against people with more moderately leveled and geared builds, but they are still giving me crazy soul payouts, 30K or so as invader and a couple that were 70 and 120K as host. So I have no fucking idea if it's working.

I have been getting 30K consistently for successful invasions very frequently recently, I don't know whats up with that, it can't be that everyone is around that Soul Level. I don't know what 300K or whatever to level translates to for Soul Level, but it just seems a little weird.

Minamu

Thinking of starting my first replay since finishing the game in March.

Any major balance changes I should be aware of going back in?
Major magic and weapon nerfs together with a decrease of Amana difficulty. Mainly OP weapons and magics are affected. Lightning is still king.

Manu

Well you can always cheese it with holy water.

Nah, got 'em on my fourth try. There goes my streak of one-shots though :(

Okay, so I've killed 11 bosses now, including the Lost Sinner who gave me a great soul.

So there's no context for the great souls in this one? I just get them?

Also, 11 bosses in little over 10 hours, the game feels easier overall than the previous two.

I used to wonder why people say bosses were so easy in this game, until I learned how hilarious spellcasting was and how much of a gap there was between one handed Dex weapons (which I was using, shades of my first Dark Souls character) and blunt strength weapons.

Renekton

There are bits and pieces, subject to conjecture (or at least until the DLCs give more clues). Like how Lost Sinner is somehow related to the old Great Witch and Old Iron King is possibly related to the Four Kings so they inherited the great souls or something.

(my head hurts)

Manu

They do have a purpose later.

There are bits and pieces, subject to conjecture (or at least until the DLCs give more clues). Like how Lost Sinner is somehow related to the old Great Witch and Old Iron King is possibly related to the Four Kings so they inherited the great souls or something.

(my head hurts)

Gotcha.

I just found it weird because in the first game there was a big deal made about how these four Lords were really important and you couldn't even fight them until you placed the Lordvessel, and in this game I just killed a boss that wasn't even harder than the ones before and was like "oh, yeah, this one drops a Great Soul."

I also find it weird that I fought a lot of bosses but I'm still using a regular Greatsword +5 and haven't found a single ember yet ten hours into the game.

Sullichin

Just tried using it, and it seems like I did everything right. Ran the exe while Dark Souls was at start screen, I think it was working, but I got no feedback whatsoever if it was doing anything. The text box would tell me when it wasn't working if DkS2 wasn't running, but completely empty when it is supposedly working. I assumed it would show the character loaded, SL and appropriate Soul Memory allocation, but hey what do I know, I don't develop Software.

Then when I am fighting it seems like I am playing against people with more moderately leveled and geared builds, but they are still giving me crazy soul payouts, 30K or so as invader and a couple that were 70 and 120K as host. So I have no fucking idea if it's working.

I have been getting 30K consistently for successful invasions very frequently recently, I don't know whats up with that, it can't be that everyone is around that Soul Level. I don't know what 300K or whatever to level translates to for Soul Level, but it just seems a little weird.

You have to run it while your character is loaded, or it won't know which values in memory to change.

NBtoaster

Gotcha.

I just found it weird because in the first game there was a big deal made about how these four Lords were really important and you couldn't even fight them until you placed the Lordvessel, and in this game I just killed a boss that wasn't even harder than the ones before and was like "oh, yeah, this one drops a Great Soul."

I also find it weird that I fought a lot of bosses but I'm still using a regular Greatsword +5 and haven't found a single ember yet ten hours into the game.

There is only one Ember. Upgrading is a lot less convoluted.

Okay, so I've killed 11 bosses now, including the Lost Sinner who gave me a great soul.

Also, 11 bosses in little over 10 hours, the game feels easier overall than the previous two.

If you are a Souls vet it is kind of expected to roll, but there are some tough battles ahead for sure.

Manu

If you are a Souls vet it is kind of expected to roll, but there are some tough battles ahead for sure.

But I'm not, lol

I finished Demon's and Dark for the first time last month and used a fair amount of co-op in both.

This one just feels easier.

There is only one Ember. Upgrading is a lot less convoluted.

Less convoluted? Sure.

Casualized? Most definitely. I remember having to head into some very dicey areas just to get the advanced embers for each element that you wanted to upgrade to +10.

E.g. The Large Divine Ember was located in a pitch black area that had at least 5 - 6 of those frightening Giant Skeletons that'd whoop your ass in a single area.

They stripped out the element of discovery when it came down to elemental upgrades, that's for sure. No more hidden blacksmiths like the Fire Blacksmith in DkS1 which required some skill in jumping to discover him.

I tried that Soul Memory mod on my second character and it did indeed put my SM down from 6 million to 3 million at SL 150. Right after that I had three PVP fights that were against totally normal builds, nothing crazy or hyper powered. I'm happy!

Hopefully it won't lead to a ban... I just want consistent PVP like the previous game had :(

Ruuppa

I tried that Soul Memory mod on my second character and it did indeed put my SM down from 6 million to 3 million at SL 150. Right after that I had three PVP fights that were against totally normal builds, nothing crazy or hyper powered. I'm happy!

Hopefully it won't lead to a ban... I just want consistent PVP like the previous game had :(

I wonder if I could tweak the mod to change it so that my SL130 is placed into 10k Souls SM-tier.. I assume it must be possible, so with that mod twinking is again an issue.

Edit: Or not. I'll test the mod out later tonight, see if it helps my SL130 not fight Havelmancers.

elohel

is it even possible to really try out the pvp stuff in this game? I wanna get that ring from joining the RRA and obtaining enough rat tails

but I've almost always had my ass handed to me in pvp lol

Manu

I just realized why the graphics looked "off" at first. They got rid of the annoying bloom!

And it only took them three games.

danthefan

So, started this the other day and I'm really not having fun. I find it far more difficult than Dark Souls, I'm not able to deal with the groups of enemies that come at you and
The Pursuer
is just curbstomping me, not even remotely close to killing him. I'm down to half health but using an effigy is completely pointless because I'll just lose all my health again within 10 mins. I actually hate the health loss mechanic tbh. I know it's because I'm crap at the game but just really disappointed because I loved Dark Souls.

Oh well, whinge over.

Mistel

Banned
I'm down to half health but using an effigy is completely pointless because I'll just lose all my health again within 10 mins.
The health loss can be reduced by a ring found elsewhere early on it caps your loss so you'll have 75% max health irregardless.
is it even possible to really try out the pvp stuff in this game? I wanna get that ring from joining the RRA and obtaining enough rat tails

but I've almost always had my ass handed to me in pvp lol
The rats work is done by the environment with aid from the host if you wish. So it's rather difficult to loose unless you let a grey spirit right to you.

elohel

The health loss can be reduced by a ring found elsewhere early on it caps your loss so you'll have 75% max health irregardless.

The rats work is done by the environment with aid from the host if you wish. So it's rather difficult to loose unless you let a grey spirit right to you.

I guess what I mean to ask is the PC version too rampant with hackers to have a meaningful experience?

So, started this the other day and I'm really not having fun. I find it far more difficult than Dark Souls, I'm not able to deal with the groups of enemies that come at you and
The Pursuer
is just curbstomping me, not even remotely close to killing him. I'm down to half health but using an effigy is completely pointless because I'll just lose all my health again within 10 mins. I actually hate the health loss mechanic tbh. I know it's because I'm crap at the game but just really disappointed because I loved Dark Souls.

Oh well, whinge over.

Go the other way from Majula. Not too far away you'll find a tremendously useful ring.

If you have a small soapstone, you can simply use that to quickly help someone (very useful as small soapstones tend to kick you out before reaching a boss, making the chance of success very high) and it will restore your humanity.

Manu

Looking good.

10300960_10204254311907894_1032984538201532306_n.jpg

Manu

Low Endurance there, cowboy. Might want to buck that up a notch.

I like the look, the Royal Soldier top is a great fashion statement.

I'm working on Vitality right now, once I have enough to wear the Drangleic set I'm moving to Endurance.

Soulhouf

Yeeeeeeess. Darklurker down with my SL1 character after 30+ tries.
By far the hardest boss in the game not to mention backtracking the difficult path to him every time I loose. It was hell.
I didn't use a single effigy in the entire playthrough in preparation for this.

Feels good man.

Ruuppa

Yeeeeeeess. Darklurker down with my SL1 character after 30+ tries.
By far the hardest boss in the game not to mention backtracking the difficult path to him every time I loose. It was hell.
I didn't use a single effigy in the entire playthrough in preparation for this.

Feels good man.

Niiiice! He's tough as balls with a melee character, not to mention SL1. Which dungeon did you use for him?

Soulhouf

Niiiice! He's tough as balls with a melee character, not to mention SL1. Which dungeon did you use for him?

Drangleic Castle.
Once Havel is down, the other phantoms aren't that bad. Eventually they stopped respawning making it a lot less a hassle.

Ruuppa

Drangleic Castle.
Once Havel is down, the other phantoms aren't that bad. Eventually they stopped respawning making it straight forward.

The one in
Shaded Woods
isn't bad either. None of the Phantoms there are anything to write home about. It's a longer route though.

The one in
Black Gulch
though.. Never more than once per round, that place is horror.

danthefan

You should be fine summon help if you want to if you find getting there that difficult. It's not that long of a journey.

Trying to make my way there now, just lost about 6k souls or something. I know that's probably not much in the grand scheme of things but FML. Would easily have given me 3 levels or more.

Edit - YES, got the damn ring.

Firebrand

I just realized why the graphics looked "off" at first. They got rid of the annoying bloom!

And it only took them three games.
I didn't have much of a problem with bloom in DaS, but I'm playing DeS now for the first time and holy shit, it's literally hurting my eyes. Most of the screen is rather dark in places like Tower of Latria and parts of Stone...fang? and then you have a hot center that radiates with the intensity of a thousand suns.

Ruuppa

Did they change the Shrine of Winter requirements at some point? My SL1 can't pass through even with all the four Great Souls.

danthefan

Ok I'm completely incapable of beating
The Pursuer
so I checked a video where the guy parries his attacks then
uses the ballista
, is parrying simply a matter of timing or do you need certain stats to be able to do it?

Manu

It's just timing.

You could also co-op the fight and have your partner use the ballista while you get aggro, that's how I beat it.

Their backstory and the main key plot is pretty much narrated this time, for bosses info
go to talk with the cat in majula, the sinner with Straid in lost bastille, the gutter with Gilligan, iron keep with the merchant you found there and Freya with the crow girl in the same area

Top Bottom